Become a Patron!

converting from cloud chasing to FLAVOR chasing

F

fckaugust8th

i am sick of being a cloud junkie and read to turn over to the more logical and practical side of things, i still want to blow clouds but put flavor more as a priority......do you all think its about the atomizer or the build/ wattage? i have the griffin 25, avocado, boreas, and tornado nano but cant seem to step up my flavor game....someone help lol

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think it has a lot more to do with the atty, because in order to get best flavor, you need less airflow -- which yes, will also mean lower wattage, and maybe higher resistance in the build, but it's the tighter airflow that will create best flavor; it's not so diluted with hot air, but more concentrated vaporized ejuice. You need the airflow to flow DIRECTLY over the coil and wick, so from below is the optimal configuration; I've never been able to get decent flavor from side airflow.

Andria

F

fckaugust8th

I think it has a lot more to do with the atty, because in order to get best flavor, you need less airflow -- which yes, will also mean lower wattage, and maybe higher resistance in the build, but it's the tighter airflow that will create best flavor; it's not so diluted with hot air, but more concentrated vaporized ejuice. You need the airflow to flow DIRECTLY over the coil and wick, so from below is the optimal configuration; I've never been able to get decent flavor from side airflow.

Andria
interesting.....the avocado has decent flavor to me....but i do need something with bottom airflow

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
i am sick of being a cloud junkie and read to turn over to the more logical and practical side of things, i still want to blow clouds but put flavor more as a priority......do you all think its about the atomizer or the build/ wattage? i have the griffin 25, avocado, boreas, and tornado nano but cant seem to step up my flavor game....someone help lol
My favorite tops for flavor

Magma -mtl or restricted dl
Petri-dl
Kayfun5-both mtl and dl
NaRda -mtl
Erkkoenigin -mtl
Aqua v2- mtl

Gem is my next conquest as a pure flavor rta

Eta--- how I forgot this is unforgivable - the hurricane Is a great damp flavor machine

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've heard the Boreas is a flavor monster.

I'm no cloud chaser, I've always just wanted flavor. I use tanks that have adjustable airflow and are more considered a restricted DL hit, than a straight up DL or tight MTL. Some of the tanks I have are one or the other, but I use something that I can open up just enough. I vape higher PG, simple plain coil builds.

I like the flavor from the Merlin, my fave tank so far is the Goblin Mini. Tiny build deck, but I don't mind that at all.

F

fckaugust8th

I've heard the Boreas is a flavor monster.

I'm no cloud chaser, I've always just wanted flavor. I use tanks that have adjustable airflow and are more considered a restricted DL hit, than a straight up DL or tight MTL. Some of the tanks I have are one or the other, but I use something that I can open up just enough. I vape higher PG, simple plain coil builds.

I like the flavor from the Merlin, my fave tank so far is the Goblin Mini. Tiny build deck, but I don't mind that at all.
Nice info....i had a gob mini and i think it was a clone cause it was straight garbage but the bores is pretty good, it just gurgles when ur taking a hit

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nice info....i had a gob mini and i think it was a clone cause it was straight garbage but the bores is pretty good, it just gurgles when ur taking a hit
Ah, yeah, I have heard that from only a couple people about the Boreas. Most just love it, though. I'm in the middle of a love/hate with my Merlin. Phenomenal flavor, but unless it's wicked PERFECTLY some are having leaks. I'm hearing the v2 has a better base.

Wicking the goblin mini can also be finicky, but once your get it, you keep getting it. What kinda juice you vaping?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
very true....im an avid DIYer and vape max vg.....could this hinder flavor?
There you go...
Any tank/RDA out there can be a flavor monster if ur JOOZE is good for YOU!!!
It doesn't matter what ohms/wattage if ur JOOZE sucks ur JOOZE sucks
And max vg is a nono flavor

VAPE ON

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just build with simple coils. Never complained about any topper that lacked flavor. It's the build, and the juice has a lot to do with it. Especially when the flavor percentage is too high. I usually mix my liquids 1-3%. Cranking up the wattage too high will scorch the flavorings as well. I try to keep mine to about 3.5-4.2 volts. At that voltage, the vapor is actually thicker, and creamier. Just play with different builds, and wattage settings. Get into DIY juice making, so you can tailor your flavorings. Good luck bro.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Agree, I find it mainly has to do with the build and temperature. Too hot definitely hurts flavor for me. Atty is important but I think the first two are more important.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of the tanks you have the Avocado and Boreas should be the best for flavor.
Switch from max VG to around 70/30.
Go below 100W.
Open your AFC only half way.
Claptons and twisted are better for flavor then plain big gauge coils.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Out of the tanks you have the Avocado and Boreas should be the best for flavor.
Switch from max VG to around 70/30.
Go below 100W.
Open your AFC only half way.
Claptons and twisted are better for flavor then plain big gauge coils.
Sounds good but subjective. I have never liked Claptons. I get great flavor from regular coils. The boreas is a dual coil so you will have two. I don't think you necessarily need big claptons or twisted to get flavor.

Many swear by them, I don't. You may love them.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Close your eyes. When deciding if you like the vape. Really... I find this the best way to judge a flavor build... but really the key to flavor is less air equals more flavor.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Or you could increase flavor percentage slightly to overcome.

I use 85% PG, and still use almost 30% flavor in my ADV -- because I want to actually taste it, not just smell it. :D My tastebuds are taking a lot longer to recuperate from smoke damage, than my sense of smell.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Close your eyes. When deciding if you like the vape. Really... I find this the best way to judge a flavor build... but really the key to flavor is less air equals more flavor.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

For me, it's a flavor that I think about even when I'm not vaping it; the memory of it keeps urging me to have more of it, as any great flavor will do. I'm somewhat of an odd duck though; I've had the same ADV for about a year and a half -- I've vaped other things, there's a blueberry muffin vape I'm fond of, but I keep going back to that almost-30% strawberry & cream. It's better than any other vape I've ever tasted, by anyone.

And +1 on the less-air=more-flavor. If you really want to taste it, you need to pull it into your mouth like it's a milkshake, not just huff it directly into your lungs, your lungs don't have tastebuds, and there aren't a REAL lot in your throat either; they're mostly on the tongue and in the palate and inside the nose above the palate. Doing that sort of mouth to lung inhale -- or just keep it in your mouth/throat and exhale it out your nose -- needs a tighter draw, or it feels like you're trying to "smoke a straw."

Andria

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've slowly moved to high VG from high PG, and I love the flavor - it brings out different notes I find. The Boreas is very good for flavor using fused claptons around 60 watts! Even with the AFC wide open, but a smaller drip tip, the flavor is intense in the Boreas. There are many others - as Huck said, I do love the Merlin, but I do have an issue with dry hits (not leaking generally), but the newer version with the enlarged juice flow holes may be better.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use 85% PG, and still use almost 30% flavor in my ADV -- because I want to actually taste it, not just smell it. :D My tastebuds are taking a lot longer to recuperate from smoke damage, than my sense of smell.

Andria
30% flavor, or percentage of flavor, is dependent on the flavor brands you are using. If you used 30% all fa flavors in one recipe I doubt you would taste anything.

To OP, I use 70 vg. That's my sweet spot. I also have air set to mid to 3/4 most of the time. That depends on the heat of the build, etc. You know clouds so you should know those variables.

F

fckaugust8th

30% flavor, or percentage of flavor, is dependent on the flavor brands you are using. If you used 30% all fa flavors in one recipe I doubt you would taste anything.

To OP, I use 70 vg. That's my sweet spot. I also have air set to mid to 3/4 most of the time. That depends on the heat of the build, etc. You know clouds so you should know those variables.
yeah absolutely....ive been an open all the way guy since i quit smoking haha.....still get great ass flavor off my avocado when its open all the way....prolly cause the airflow goes straight to the coil

F

fckaugust8th

most of you flavor chasers use rdas? or tanks? obviously clouds and flavor are better on rdas but a pain in the toosh to drip all the time

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

No, it's really dependent on the person tasting it. One of the flavors in my ADV is INW Shisha Strawberry -- which some claim is "great" at 2%-8% -- I use nearly 16%, because I want to TASTE it, not just smell it; at the lower percentages, it smells great, but the taste is very thin. I then use another almost-15% of supporting creams and vanillas plus sweetener -- TFA DX Bavarian, TFA Vanilla Swirl, CAP Sweet Cream, TFA Sweetener.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
most of you flavor chasers use rdas? or tanks? obviously clouds and flavor are better on rdas but a pain in the toosh to drip all the time

True, that's why I only use RDAs that have deep wells -- my favorite vape EVER is the Achilles RDA -- super-tight draw, holds 2.5ml, never ever leaks -- but unfortunately, they aren't made anymore. Recently got an authentic Achilles II, and it's nowhere near as good as my clone original Achilles, because the draw is too open. At least it still holds a lot, and doesn't leak, so I might try to modify it to make it have a tighter draw.

Andria

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
vape with ss mesh or ceramics. better flavor than cotton.

Not if wicked correctly.. if you do the wick right, it should only transport and hold your juice, it should not impart anything to the flavor. mesh is a bit different as it also acts as part of the heating element.

If you want toc hase flavor with a sealed replaceable coil... You must have a regulated mod, IMO.
I use tanks and drippers. But I never drip. I squonk,I also vape unregulated, so DIY coils is a requirement. As the coil is the only adjustment for power I have. The wifes regulated mod and Nautilus uses factory oils and gives good flavor with cheap china coils. Because she can adjust the power to adjust the vapor. I use Old school kayfuns or Geni tanks with my tube mod. for those times I want the really really good flavor.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@AndriaD Part of the flavor thing has to do with vapor amount. I have been accused of over flavor in my recipes. I made mine for single coil at 25ish watts. The lemon raspberry cheesecake on a dual coil is definitely over flavored.

You talk about liking a tight draw. With a tight draw you are getting less vapor thus less flavor so you need more percentage as compared to my 13 heavens rda with a 22g kanthal wide open. Much more vapor ability due to the increased air intake and lack of tight draw.

I agree a tighter draw may increase flavor but more vapor with appropriate air flow and drip tip also does the same thing.

I can no longer do tight draw rdas after moving on. Also, taste can be trained. If you decrease your percents your buds will adapt. It happens.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you decrease your percents your buds will adapt. It happens.
Been there, done that and totally agree. Stuff I've mixed in higher %, that were left to steep, had to be cut down with unflavored base. Even my own recipes are cut down by more than half.

I think flavor chasing is different for everyone, according to what they're vaping - coil, juice and gear. Me, I'm perfectly happy with RTA's, 1 - 1.5 ohm single wrap coils and lower wattage than most people. I do MTL, but I'm fine with a more airy draw than what I started on. I've tried DL, and I don't have a problem with it, but I prefer MTL. VG any higher than 30% gives me breathing problems, so DL vaping with higher PG isn't always very comfortable for me, LOL.

Everyone finds their niche. I know plenty of people that get excellent flavor from high VG, wide open vapes.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also, taste can be trained. If you decrease your percents your buds will adapt. It happens.

Working on that, but I have to do it slowly, or I notice too much difference. My first stepdown from the 30% was 5% less on all flavors except sweetener, got used to that. Now I'm trying to get used to 8% less, but was feeling unsatisfied, so my last mix was 7% less, and it's closer to what I like. Also, I think my tastebuds may finally be starting to recuperate, because with the 5% less mix, occasionally I was finding it just kinda icky -- that's what prompted me to go ahead and try to drop a couple or three more percentage points. But most pre-made juice has very little flavor at all to me, and almost none of it is sweet enough -- I was adding extra sweetener months before I started trying real DIY. When I first mixed that 30% flavoring strawberry & cream, it was the very first vape I could actually TASTE. Everything else was just a nice fragrance.

As for more air and vapor... more air would mean I couldn't get a good MtL hit, it's like trying to "smoke a straw". More vapor would just put me on the floor, or send me to the hospital; ditto that for a DtL type of hit -- asthma doesn't want ANYTHING inhaled direct to lung except asthma medicine! And even that sometimes chokes me up! And there aren't any tastebuds in the lungs anyway, so that would be pointless.

Andria

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't do mtl hits now. Just not satisfied. I do taste it. I understand the asthma thing. The boreas puts out vapor with three holes like no tomorrow. Great flavor with a dual 10 wrap 22g kanthal. I have go hard and fast. I will be going back to rdas to break from it some. It does get my chest going after heavy days as I pulmonary issues but not asthma.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Huckleberried I still think I need to cut my vg some with these tanks but hate to have rda juice and tank juice. I don't like rda juice less than 70 vg due to thickness but think I should try 65 or 60 vg in a tank for irritation reduction.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Huckleberried I still think I need to cut my vg some with these tanks but hate to have rda juice and tank juice. I don't like rda juice less than 70 vg due to thickness but think I should try 65 or 60 vg in a tank for irritation reduction.
That's how I had to do it, just experiment til you get it. I vaped several ratios til I found what worked for me. I can tolerate 30% vg, but my real preference to feel like I don't have pneumonia is 25%.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's how I had to do it, just experiment til you get it. I vaped several ratios til I found what worked for me. I can tolerate 30% vg, but my real preference to feel like I don't have pneumonia is 25%.
5050 runs out of rda like water. I will be. Going through juice quick with this tank and my son down. Will make a 60 tank batch next week.

Whirlwind

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Been there, done that and totally agree. Stuff I've mixed in higher %, that were left to steep, had to be cut down with unflavored base. Even my own recipes are cut down by more than half.

I think flavor chasing is different for everyone, according to what they're vaping - coil, juice and gear. Me, I'm perfectly happy with RTA's, 1 - 1.5 ohm single wrap coils and lower wattage than most people. I do MTL, but I'm fine with a more airy draw than what I started on. I've tried DL, and I don't have a problem with it, but I prefer MTL. VG any higher than 30% gives me breathing problems, so DL vaping with higher PG isn't always very comfortable for me, LOL.

Everyone finds their niche. I know plenty of people that get excellent flavor from high VG, wide open vapes.

I vape just the same, 1.4 ohm at about 11 watts MTL and my diy juice is CAPS French Vanilla 1.5% Vanilla custard 1.5% so a total of 3% flavoring. It is all i vape.

KingLouie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My favorite tops for flavor

Gem is my next conquest as a pure flavor rta

Eta--- how I forgot this is unforgivable - the hurricane Is a great damp flavor machine

I have a gem 2, its amazing for flavor. Also my kayfun mini v3, is one of the best MTL/flavor tanks out there in my opinion. Easy accessible deck without draining the tank, SUPER easy filling, the works.

I have a Hurricane, its simply an amazing tank, airflow options for anybody under the sun. Probably the most forgiving, in terms of building/wicking, of any high-end RTA ive ever owned. Unfortunately im selling mine, i just use the kayfun more, i have always been (and always will be) a kayfun fanboy.
I have the hurricane for sale in the classifieds, and its been the last thing in my post to sell. This shocks me, because they seem to be so popular & sold out everywhere. AND i listed mine for 130, Go figure haha. Someone got the clone off me though, good idea for them.

If youre looking for a Hurricane on a budget, get the tobecco clone, or a Taifun.. lol. I dont think they have cloned the Gem yet, but if they ever do- id jump on it.

If youre looking for flavor on drippers, bottom airflow is good. It really depends how you vape. I suggest micro coils- i build my kayfun around the mini blue screwdrivers you all probably have a ton of- its the perfect size diameter for a micro coil in my kayfun. This works on many tanks/drippers. I used to build micro coils so small that i would just sit the coil on top of a pillow of cotton- i wouldnt even wick any cotton through the coil. And it worked like a charm on my Plumeveil, back in my dripping days. Ive always been a 'flavor chaser'

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not if wicked correctly.. if you do the wick right, it should only transport and hold your juice, it should not impart anything to the flavor. mesh is a bit different as it also acts as part of the heating element.

If you want toc hase flavor with a sealed replaceable coil... You must have a regulated mod, IMO.
I use tanks and drippers. But I never drip. I squonk,I also vape unregulated, so DIY coils is a requirement. As the coil is the only adjustment for power I have. The wifes regulated mod and Nautilus uses factory oils and gives good flavor with cheap china coils. Because she can adjust the power to adjust the vapor. I use Old school kayfuns or Geni tanks with my tube mod. for those times I want the really really good flavor.
cotton mutes flavor it doesn't matter how it's wicked ...mesh let's the nuances in flavors pop out. cotton is a sponge it will deliver a higher % of flavorings to the coil,more juice to the coil....but the flavor is muted the nuances less pronounced.for alot of people this is not an issue they don't have a palette than can distinguish the diffrence.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
5050 runs out of rda like water. I will be. Going through juice quick with this tank and my son down. Will make a 60 tank batch next week.
I'm not having an issue with higher PG. OK, in ONE tank, but there's all kinds of people going through this at all kinds of ratios, but that's a whole other thread, lol.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to use gennys and I stepped up to cotton and DL.

While the taste on it's own with a genny is better the vaping experience is not.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to use gennys and I stepped up to cotton and DL.

While the taste on it's own with a genny is better the vaping experience is not.
a genny more closely resembles the experince of smoking ....DL more closely resembles the experince of hyperventiating....besides there are alot of gennys with adjustable airflows and there are a few that have large wickholes and airholes now...diffrent than the old school gennys.things like Le Mirage, and Le Zephyer...Origenny...ect.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am past the phase of sucking a golf ball through a garden hose tyvm and to me something that resembles smoking is a bad thing.

DL is the way vaping should be even if you are into flavor, well unless you get all excited each time busardo reviews a tank that he likes.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am past the phase of sucking a golf ball through a garden hose tyvm and to me something that resembles smoking is a bad thing.

DL is the way vaping should be even if you are into flavor, well unless you get all excited each time busardo reviews a tank that he likes.
I'm past the phase of being fascinated by big clouds and mediocre flavor...besides I loved smoking and I'd be smoking today if it wasn't killing me.

KingLouie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

The great thing about vaping is that there is no way it 'should be'

It is 100% customizable, from your mod, to your atomizer, to your drip tip, to your juice, build, wicking style, etc..
That is why it is the best way to quit smoking, period. And why it is the future. Its not black & white, oh i smoke marlboros, oh i smoke menthols..

Everyone can vape differently, and sit down at the end of the day and enjoy a vape together, because we all do it as we like, and thats important.

VU Sponsors