Become a Patron!

Constant dry hits and burning with TFV4! Why?!

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've went through a whole set of Clapton Coils and Quad Coils and they are all giving me dry hits with my TFV4. This is NOT a priming issue. The Coils have already been primed. It's after like 3 or 4 good puffs and the juice seems to dried from that and then the next puff becomes dry and burning. Even if I let the vape sit for awhile to re-wick it still seems to give semi dry/burning hits.

I am running the Limitless Box Mod, I've run it at 40 W, 60W, and 70W all with the same results. Burning and dry hits always happen.

What's weird is that this never happened with my Cuboid running at like 80W.

Any one have any ideas what's causing this? And how to fix it?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mod problem
Make sure the preheat mode or whatever they call it in the box mod is not set to
Hard or max...

VAPE ON

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know if this mod has a preheat mode. At least nothing in the menu that states it does.

It has something called "Working Modes" though. With settings "Soft", "Standard", and "Powerful" I've played around with these and still seem to get dry hits.

It also has a setting called "Auto Adjust Power" which I can set to off or on that I have no idea what it does. Maybe someone here can help.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't think that you have a pre heat function on this mod. DNA mods as this function. Problem could be a juice flow one. Going back to basics of what causes dry hits high VG juice could be a cause and it not wicking quickly enough whilst you vape. You could try 50/50 (VG/PG) juice. Also try once you have primed you coil well, placed it in the tank and filled it with juice. Try drawing on it about 5 times without firing it. You may see some bubbles rising to the top of the tank. This shows that it is wicking. If you don't see them no problem just leave the tank to sit for 10-15 mins before you use it.
I have the TFV4 mini tank. Only get a dry hit when juice is out.
Edit: It should tell you what watt range to set your device to on the coil.
Good luck

Last edited:

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought it might be my juice too. But I've been using the same juice for like 4 months. In that time I've used the TFV4 and Clapton Coils with a different Mod and it wasn't dry hitting.

But I'm going to test some other juice and see if its the issue.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If it wasn't dry hitting with the other mod but is with this one that pretty much tells you where the problem lies. Best guess use a new coil, prime it, set the mod to "Soft". The Clapton coils call for 30-90W, start at 30 and work your way up, the quads 40 and up. I have no idea as to the accuracy of the chip but it may actually be putting out more than displayed for short bursts to reduce ramp up time in heating the coil. This is what ej referred to as preheat.

Last edited:

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right. My first inclination was to that maybe the new mod is showing a lower wattage then what it's actually putting out. But I've already lowered from 80W down to 30W and it seems like it still happens. It's why I upgraded to a Quad coils so I can try higher wattages.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Clapton coils take a little longer to ramp, so the mod may be heating the coil faster than the coil can wick at any wattage. Setting to soft might help.

Can you try a new coil with another mod?

As for tfv4, I think the quad and oct Claptons are probably the best for clouds and flavor. The quad is less likely to go quickly go dry or burnt than the regular CLP2. Not yet tried the oct, but I hear good things.

The regular tri and quad coils don't do much for me with this tank. Quad is airy with average flavor, and tri gets hot and feels like it could be just another sub ohm tank.

Robocop69

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm almost certain it is a wicking issue now. The dry hits happen at different wattages and different modes of power (temp vs power, Soft hit vs. power hit) so I have ruled out anything I can do with my mod. Which makes sense.

So its definitely wicking as the problem. And this problem existed for the Clapton and the Quad Coil.

Found a semi-fix. Narrowing down the problem now, but no real good solution yet.

When I open the top of the tank (where you fill it up) and leave it open the Coil finally wicks! So now I can get a full flavored vape FINALLY. But if I leave the top open for too long the tank starts leaking like crazy. Juice comes out from the bottom air holes of the tank.

So it's still a shitty solution. I have to open the top all the time now and let it sit. And then I have to clean up juice if it sits too long.

I'm hoping some where some one has found a good fix for this issue. If not, I'm just dumbfounded at how over rated the TFV4 tank is. This thing is not designed correctly! Tank reviews on youtube and on the web are shit too for not mentioning this at all!

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I've went through a whole set of Clapton Coils and Quad Coils and they are all giving me dry hits with my TFV4. This is NOT a priming issue. The Coils have already been primed. It's after like 3 or 4 good puffs and the juice seems to dried from that and then the next puff becomes dry and burning. Even if I let the vape sit for awhile to re-wick it still seems to give semi dry/burning hits.

I am running the Limitless Box Mod, I've run it at 40 W, 60W, and 70W all with the same results. Burning and dry hits always happen.

What's weird is that this never happened with my Cuboid running at like 80W.

Any one have any ideas what's causing this? And how to fix it?

I agree with @ej1024 on this one. I've hit on a full size TFV4 just fine. I just bought 3 of the minis. Gotta be your mod. Coils work just fine.

VU Sponsors