Become a Patron!

Confused Bout Temp Control

ImYou

Member For 3 Years
Hey all, my Smok GPrif coming in tmro that has TC Mode and I have never used SS nor TC before.

Can someone explain to me how's this TC mode works?

Is it safe to vape with SS?

What's the difference using Kanthal and SS?

Chevyrider619

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The little I know and have researched, yes you can use SS with TC but bunch of the fellas here are much, much more knowledgeable and will help you and give you feedback.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey all, my Smok GPrif coming in tmro that has TC Mode and I have never used SS nor TC before.

You can use SS, nickel and titanium. You can't use kanthal on temperature control. Only a few mods can you use kanthal with temperature control.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
SS can be vaped safely in wattage or TC mode

Some people claim they can get a taste from the various metals used in coils, so that experience will be different for each individual

SS ramps up faster than kanthal

Also, SS has a higher resistance than kanthal, so a coil will take more wraps to achieve whatever resistance you are aiming for

You do not have to use TC to vape on a mod with TC, it is only an option

I do not have a great deal of experience with TC because I don't feel I need it

Some folks swear by it

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Yes you can use SS in TC. Basically the way it works is in TC mode your wattage controls how fast the coil ramps up to the temperature you set. The temperature controls how cool or warm you like your vape. Some mods or chipsets only allow you to control the temperature in TC mode but most of the popular boards allow you to adjust both. For me TC provides the smoothest most consistent vape but other vapers may disagree with that. Kanthal can only be used in wattage or power mode only. Hope this helped. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dead Gummy Worm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
TC especially with SS. Build your coil the same as you would Kanthal and do not worry about resistance when using in TC. SS has a LOWER resistance but if for instance you normally use 28 gauge kanthal at 8 wraps around a 3mm then you will make the same out of SS and it will behave almost identical to kanthal (if you put it in power mode) and in tc it will work as it should. SS is one of the ones most people find to taste the cleanest. I like it. It wasnt a HUGE difference from Kanthal but being in TC it does keep me from uber burning wicks when i am careless and forget/neglect to verify the levels in my tank... it also has a more constant vape no matter how long i hold the fire button. that is my $0.02 I am sure there is something i am forgetting. One last thing dont dry burn it super hot... you just want it to barely turn red while in a dark room that is good enought o clean off the coils..

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Build your coil the same as you would Kanthal and do not worry about resistance when using in TC. SS has a LOWER resistance but if for instance you normally use 28 gauge kanthal at 8 wraps around a 3mm then you will make the same out of SS and it will behave almost identical to kanthal (if you put it in power mode)

Ahem - clears throat: Note the # of wraps for Kanthal needed to achieve one ohm Kanthal.png

And SS on identical one ohm coil at 2.5 ID

Stainless.png

Dead Gummy Worm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ahem - clears throat: Note the # of wraps for Kanthal needed to achieve one ohm View attachment 80529

And SS on identical one ohm coil at 2.5 ID

View attachment 80530
You missed the point... It is about metal mass behaving the same... not resistance... A SS coil built to the same spec's as a kanthal coil will have about half the resistance but will vape the same (or very close to it) at the same wattage..... That was the point i was making. i am fully aware of the difference in resistance.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've just read a lot of problems folks have posted trying to make a higher ohm coil hot or a lower ohm coil run cool

Dead Gummy Worm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've just read a lot of problems folks have posted trying to make a higher ohm coil hot or a lower ohm coil run cool
Well i am speaking from practice. SS316L regardless of resistance difference, will behave the same as its kanthal counterpart. Meaning if you vape a 6 wrap 26 gauge kanthal coil with 4mm diameter at 30 watts, making a SS316L of the same build 6 wrap 26awg 4mm diameter at 30 watts it will feel the same, nearly indistinguishable, baring flavor difference. resistance is only relative to the material being used... you cannot "shoot" for x resistance in kanthal and then try and get the same in different metal wire ... it will be a completely different coil in this case if you tried to make SS316L the same resistance as kanthal it will requre more metal, thus more wattage to heat up..

VU Sponsors