Become a Patron!

Compact Mod for the Person On-The-Go

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a compact, light, easy-to-use and very pocketable mod that I can throw into my suit jacket pocket for when I'm working and on the go. Currently I have 3 box mods and a SMPL hybrid mod but none of these are really slim enough (or convenient) to comfortably carry in a modern suit jacket.

I'm considering something like the ego ONE with the smaller battery but I'm not too informed on ego-style or "pen" style mods so I'd like to know what else is out there before I buy. In terms of thickness the ego ONE would be the thickest I would want to go. I've also considered like a VV twist style battery with a mini clearo on top but again I'm not too informed on these style devices. Can you guys recommend a good combo that fits these requirements? Or is the ego ONE the "one"?

* Must be reasonably slim, compact, and light
* Must have great flavor production
* Airflow adjustment is a +
* Under $100
* VV is a + but not necessary
* Sub Ohm ability is a + but not necessary

I'm not opposed to throwing a slim battery on the Subtank nano as long as diameter is the same. I'm not a fan of the top-heavy mods with the skinny battery.

Thanks in advance!

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't meet the sub ohm ability, but what about a Mini iStick?

I got one in a Vape Box a few months ago. Thing is miniscule. Easily fits in my closed up hand.
Variable Voltage up to 5 volts, max 10 watts output. weak 1050 mah battery.

It really doesn't hold a candle to a sub ohm setup, but I have had it with me a few times to use when using my sigelei + rda wasn't too convenient. Like a long drive. So might be helpful if you don't mind taking it somewhere in addition to your regular setup.

Pictured with an 18650 and attached to an aspire nautilus.

mini istick.JPG

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
Doesn't meet the sub ohm ability, but what about a Mini iStick?

Thanks for the reply. Wow that thing is tiny, I'm definitely open to that. How is the flavor with that nautilus? I've never vaped at 10w, is it a really cold vape with muted flavors? Also, I'm curious why it can't take sub ohm coils when the ego ONE is 4.7v max and it can sub ohm.

thanks again for the reply and sorry so many questions.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You could also go with an IStick 20, not too much bigger than the mini, but over twice the battery capacity. Downside, it doesn't sub ohm either, but IStick 30 does.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw one at a B & M yesterday, the one that can be both Mech and VV, the size surprised me, nice and compact, but the price knocked me over.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Joyetech eGo One would be a great pocket friendly mod..

Another suggestion is a Mini Istick with Aspire K1 Tank. My local Vape Shop uses this combo for their tasting bar. Together they make a fantastic little combo that is very pocket friendly and affordable. The K1 tank performs way better than you would think considering it only costs $10.00. Its not sub ohm capable but still a very nice vape. I am considering this combo as a cheap stealth vaping set up.

Good Luck.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the reply. Wow that thing is tiny, I'm definitely open to that. How is the flavor with that nautilus? I've never vaped at 10w, is it a really cold vape with muted flavors? Also, I'm curious why it can't take sub ohm coils when the ego ONE is 4.7v max and it can sub ohm.

thanks again for the reply and sorry so many questions.

Nautilus is fine at 10 watts, good flavor.

To be honest, I don't know whether or not the mini can take sub ohm coils. I'm kinda just assuming it wouldn't given it's max 10 watt output. I'll toss my 0.5ohm Atlantis on it when I get home to see if it works. But with just a 1050mah battery, it wouldn't last long. One 5 second hit with the Nautilus at (i think) 1.4 ohms drains the battery by more then 5%

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The Sigelei 30 watt mini is pretty darn small.

I used it with great success while stealth vaping in New Orleans last week.

Great city, you can drink to excess, piss in alleys and pass out on the sidewalk but you can't vape.

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
When I want pocket friendly my go to is the Egrip with RBA base as well. While it's small and compact and a great little performer, it's not exactly light.

I really like the egrip's overall size. It looks like a flask which I know fits in my suit pocket perfectly. Lol

The only concern I have is I watched a couple reviews and and it was mentioned that the flavors are really muted with this mod. Can anyone confirm that to be true?

Right now I'm considering between the egrip or istick mini with a nautilus mini or K1 tank attached. Wondering which of these set ups would have he smallest footprint and also produce the best flavor.

Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really like the egrip's overall size. It looks like a flask which I know fits in my suit pocket perfectly. Lol

The only concern I have is I watched a couple reviews and and it was mentioned that the flavors are really muted with this mod. Can anyone confirm that to be true?

Right now I'm considering between the egrip or istick mini with a nautilus mini or K1 tank attached. Wondering which of these set ups would have he smallest footprint and also produce the best flavor.

The flavor in the egrip is good if you use the RBA head with cotton - much better than the nautilus mini in my experience, but of course not as good as a kayfun or subtank. And the egrip is much smaller overall than the istick and the nautilus, simply because there is no tank on top. But it's harder to change flavor profiles, since you can't take out the tank to clean it.

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
The flavor in the egrip is good if you use the RBA head with cotton - much better than the nautilus mini in my experience, but of course not as good as a kayfun or subtank. And the egrip is much smaller overall than the istick and the nautilus, simply because there is no tank on top. But it's harder to change flavor profiles, since you can't take out the tank to clean it.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear, thank you! I'll be ordering the egrip this week.

Thank you!

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
damnit! Something else for me to buy *laf* Got me wanting the egrip OLED and the RBA kit (fasttech #2309600). :)

Just watched a vid for changing the OLED from 20W to 30W. Set to 20W, click 5x to turn off, then click 30x. To reset to 20W max, set unit to 30W, click 5x to turn off, and click 30X.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
damnit! Something else for me to buy *laf* Got me wanting the egrip OLED and the RBA kit (fasttech #2309600). :)

Just watched a vid for changing the OLED from 20W to 30W. Set to 20W, click 5x to turn off, then click 30x. To reset to 20W max, set unit to 30W, click 5x to turn off, and click 30X.

For an out and about mod you probably won't want to vape at 30 watts, because of the battery life. Vaping at about 12 watts I can get a full tank from a battery charge. 20 watts gives me half a tank (about 1.5 mls).

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For an out and about mod you probably won't want to vape at 30 watts, because of the battery life. Vaping at about 12 watts I can get a full tank from a battery charge. 20 watts gives me half a tank (about 1.5 mls).
Thanks. Yeah, figured it'd probably kill it pretty quickly. My supposedly 3500mah battery (it's an efest is why I say supposedly) doesn't quit last me 24hrs at 30w

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Decided on the older egrip because I like the looks of the one with the faux wood finish and I like the $36 price that @Angelcigs has on it. Plus, no waiting for a month+ for it to get here from China. Thanks for helping me spend money *laf*

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

If you use the RBA and get the coil and wicking right it's anything but muted. One of the reasons it's usually what's in my pocket when I leave the house is the excellent flavor.
I also recommend the 510 adapter to go with the rba. Makes checking resistance and dry burning coils simple.

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you use the RBA and get the coil and wicking right it's anything but muted. One of the reasons it's usually what's in my pocket when I leave the house is the excellent flavor.
I also recommend the 510 adapter to go with the rba. Makes checking resistance and dry burning coils simple.

Oh yes - DO get the rba adaptor!

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
Be sure to get the newest model with the OLED! I only have the old ones, but it sounds as if this one is better :)

My local shop had the Egrip with the OLED display and the RBA kit so I picked them up and all I can say is, THANK YOU for the recommendation. I love this thing! Great flavor, good vapor, and fits perfectly in my suit jacket pocket. Thank you again.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My local shop had the Egrip with the OLED display and the RBA kit so I picked them up and all I can say is, THANK YOU for the recommendation. I love this thing! Great flavor, good vapor, and fits perfectly in my suit jacket pocket. Thank you again.

So glad it worked out for you! (Do get the RBA adaptor - you'll need it for a new coil!)

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

You can find the E-Grips at some shops around town here if you look hard but none stock the RBA kit. That shop is a keeper!

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
Our 4 little E-Grips here. You can keep all the other shit.
Hers are the first two, mine the second two, all RBAed.

Nice looking egrips! I'm really liking mine a lot and can see myself purchasing a second in the future. Where did you get your drip tips? Only 1 of the drip tips I have really fit the egrip snugly, the rest were all loose.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice looking egrips! I'm really liking mine a lot and can see myself purchasing a second in the future. Where did you get your drip tips? Only 1 of the drip tips I have really fit the egrip snugly, the rest were all loose.

Thanks, Vapor Beast is my go to for drip tips for the most part.

I hear ya on weird drip tip fits but I got lucky on this batch.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ordered mine on Sweet Vapes for $4 I think. They have some other egrip extras on that site too if you decide to get more coils or a silicone skin.

Yeah I started off buying most my shit from Sweet Vapes. They always did me right with great fast shipping and all but I changed it up for no reason that I recall. Now I feel bad.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have. It's still muted by comparison with the RBA head, but better than the original coils.

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
Been using my egrip daily and I have to say, this was the perfect answer to my original thread question so thank you again for the advice. One thing I did notice however is that it randomly leaks every once in a while so you always have to have a handkerchief or tissue with you when you carry this device.

It usually leaks when the tank is too full and also when its almost empty. Otherwise not a deal breaker for me I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been using my egrip daily and I have to say, this was the perfect answer to my original thread question so thank you again for the advice. One thing I did notice however is that it randomly leaks every once in a while so you always have to have a handkerchief or tissue with you when you carry this device.

It usually leaks when the tank is too full and also when its almost empty. Otherwise not a deal breaker for me I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

One thing I've heard other say...I find with leaking out of the drip tip anyway, when it starts that. Unscrew the RBA cap both part together like a half to a full turn loose pushing the inside tube and the top cap a little tighter.

And taking that a step a little further.
I removed both my RBA top white gaskets altogether on both of my E-Grips. Been out for over 2 weeks, no drip tip leaks. Loosening the top cap like a turn and a half and now I don't have to keep up with the little washer anymore.

But yeah I do the napkin flipping diper thing on the bottom of mine most the time. The advatage of the E-grips does make it worth it.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You either go light and get low power or go heavy and get full power.
My everywhere mod is a mechanical 18650 praxis/lemo2 combo. It could be replicated by any hybrid topcap mech mod and made even smaller with most rdas.
I personally cant go back to the kayfun/nautilus/protank/egrip stuff. Since I found sub ohm, they just dont cut the mustard.

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
You either go light and get low power or go heavy and get full power.
My everywhere mod is a mechanical 18650 praxis/lemo2 combo. It could be replicated by any hybrid topcap mech mod and made even smaller with most rdas.
I personally cant go back to the kayfun/nautilus/protank/egrip stuff. Since I found sub ohm, they just dont cut the mustard.

I have two mods that I go between to satisfy any scenario. When I want to sub ohm I go with the Vaporshark and subtank mini with the RBA head, and when I need to be more discrete I go with the egrip.

If I had to ditch all other set ups and choose two for every scenario it would be these two.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434663525.225308.jpg

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Have 2 egrips on the way. Hopefully both here tomorrow. Already have the RBA and beefed up the wick. Really hoping it will work as my day to day stealth device. Got the silver and the wood grain.

IAmRob

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly, I find that the eleaf 50 watt is small enough to fit in a pocket with a smaller tank or a small rda. I can fit it comfortably into my shorts pockets without any noticeable bulk.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I upgraded to an ipv mini 2 for my daily carry. 70watts and a nicely build little device. Im very happy with it.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Got the Egrips and it has to be the nicest stealth device I've had. I like them so much I ordered a 3rd today. Perfect to put in my pocket and have it with me all the time. I use the RBA tank and I get good flavor and good vapor. Before I got it I used my istick 30w with a Kayfun lite plus. I could also put that in my pocket and the Kayfun held almost 5ml which was nice, but the Egrip is much smaller.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two mods that I go between to satisfy any scenario. When I want to sub ohm I go with the Vaporshark and subtank mini with the RBA head, and when I need to be more discrete I go with the egrip.

If I had to ditch all other set ups and choose two for every scenario it would be these two.

View attachment 22912

Is that a wrap on the black egrip?

Mad Mensch

Member For 4 Years
Is that a wrap on the black egrip?

It's an "inlay" from vapor skinz. Doesn't completely wrap around the entire egrip just covers the sides but it looks awesome. They do sell one that covers the entire device but it's for the non-OLED version.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's an "inlay" from vapor skinz. Doesn't completely wrap around the entire egrip just covers the sides but it looks awesome. They do sell one that covers the entire device but it's for the non-OLED version.

I agree - it looks fabulous! My three are all silver, so I use the skins on them - but they get slimey, and liquid gets inside them!

VU Sponsors