Become a Patron!

Coilart Mage GTA Review

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I’ll start this off with the obligatory disclosures. I won this tank here from Coilart. This will not affect my opinion or review in any way.
9a35f144e149346eefca0dba21776875.jpg

I like to think of this tank as the demon love child of an RDTA and an RTA. The tank came nicely packaged with a spare glass, o rings, grub screws, vape band and a black phillips head screwdriver. It also had a little instruction page as well. The top cap is a chuff style cap. Really wide and comfortable but it doubles as your top cap and it's all one solid delrin piece. After some time this could be a problem as I never was a fan of screwing something plastic onto something metal. Eventually the threads on the top cap are just going to wear out. This tank breaks down into four pieces, top cap/chuff cap, the the chimney, the glass, and the deck base. The chimney starts off really wide and has a slight conical design that narrows quite a bit when it goes up to the chuff cap. Since the chimney is slightly raised off the base of the deck the coils are closer to your mouth than they would be on a standard RTA but further away than they would be on a typical RDTA. Because of this design and the pressure that is built up in the tank I believe this tank wicks a lot better than a traditional RDTA and there really is no need to do the “Genny Tilt”. The juice filling ports are nice and wide and they will accommodate any type of bottle for filling.

The space between the chimney and the glass is where this tank gets a little wonky. The space is very narrow and when filling it you kind of have to wait for the juice to make its way down. You can see air pockets in it while you vape but so far it hasn't affected the wicking properties of this tank. It would have been nice if they would have made the glass a little bigger than the rest of the tank. A Cleito bubble style glass would have worked great on this tank and probably would look stunning to boot.

The deck is where this tank really shines. It’s got a pretty big single coil deck. I fit a 3mm Clapton in there fairly easily. The grub screws have phillips heads and they are really kind of shallow. This was very surprising because I also have an Azeroth and the phillips head screws on that tank are really nice and beefy. The deck itself is gold plated and beautiful. It’s a little finicky when it comes to trapping your wire especially thin coils. It would be nice if someone made an inverted style spring loaded goon deck for this type of deck. It would make trapping your coils so much easier. The deck also has bottom airflow which in my experience is a big plus in the flavor department. The airflow on this tank is not as loose as an RDTA but it's not a MTL tank either. It’s more of a restrictive lung hit but you definitely need to lung hit this tank. A MTL vape is difficult to do on this tank, especially with the provided chuff style cap. Wicking is really straight forward and she wicks just like a typical RDTA.
d2f390f69d72eb02c90115d5de57c757.jpg

In conclusion this is a really nice single coil flavor tank. If you like RDTA’s and the airflow is just too much for you then you will absolutely love this tank. If you like a restrictive lung hit and are into single coil tanks you will love this tank as well. The flavor is great and for a single coil tank this baby can chuck some clouds. I’m running a 3mm SS Clapton ohming out at .29 at 60 watts and the flavor is fantastic and the cloudage is really nice.

Pics on various mods:

7796843e779c742506196e6bc17c6e94.jpg
201c4720b8d62128ef14305720667877.jpg
706a3295563c10649eb15bd61b88e29f.jpg
92582a5b84d53d718208af602052eaa2.jpg

Pros:
-Small tank
-Great flavor
-Nice clouds
-Quality machining
-Big fill ports
-Big deck
-Easy to build and wick

Cons:
-No choice on the drip tip only chuff style cap available
-Grub screws could be better
-Tight fit between the chimney and glass
-Some coils could be difficult to trap on this deck.

Specs:
24mm diameter
47mm overall height
3.5mL juice volume
24K Gold plated deck
Convenient top-fill
SUS304 stainless steel
Adjustable airflow
Food grade pyrex glass
Gold-plated 510 contact
Black delrin drip tip

Update:
0fc1289208db069ac17a409db9822b99.jpg

Notice the bubbles? This is really becoming an issue with thicker juices. It's starting to affect the wicking. Coilart needs to take a look at this. The space between the chimney and the glass is way to narrow. It's almost like this tank gets kind of air locked. It's a shame because other than that it's a great flavor tank.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I’ll start this off with the obligatory disclosures. I won this tank here from Coilart. This will not affect my opinion or review in any way.
9a35f144e149346eefca0dba21776875.jpg

I like to think of this tank as the demon love child of an RDTA and an RTA. The tank came nicely packaged with a spare glass, o rings, grub screws, vape band and a black phillips head screwdriver. It also had a little instruction page as well. The top cap is a chuff style cap. Really wide and comfortable but it doubles as your top cap and it's all one solid delrin piece. After some time this could be a problem as I never was a fan of screwing something plastic onto something metal. Eventually the threads on the top cap are just going to wear out. This tank breaks down into four pieces, top cap/chuff cap, the the chimney, the glass, and the deck base. The chimney starts off really wide and has a slight conical design that narrows quite a bit when it goes up to the chuff cap. Since the chimney is slightly raised off the base of the deck the coils are closer to your mouth than they would be on a standard RTA but further away than they would be on a typical RDTA. Because of this design and the pressure that is built up in the tank I believe this tank wicks a lot better than a traditional RDTA and there really is no need to do the “Genny Tilt”. The juice filling ports are nice and wide and they will accommodate any type of bottle for filling.

The space between the chimney and the glass is where this tank gets a little wonky. The space is very narrow and when filling it you kind of have to wait for the juice to make its way down. You can see air pockets in it while you vape but so far it hasn't affected the wicking properties of this tank. It would have been nice if they would have made the glass a little bigger than the rest of the tank. A Cleito bubble style glass would have worked great on this tank and probably would look stunning to boot.

The deck is where this tank really shines. It’s got a pretty big single coil deck. I fit a 3mm Clapton in there fairly easily. The grub screws have phillips heads and they are really kind of shallow. This was very surprising because I also have an Azeroth and the phillips head screws on that tank are really nice and beefy. The deck itself is gold plated and beautiful. It’s a little finicky when it comes to trapping your wire especially thin coils. It would be nice if someone made an inverted style spring loaded goon deck for this type of deck. It would make trapping your coils so much easier. The deck also has bottom airflow which in my experience is a big plus in the flavor department. The airflow on this tank is not as loose as an RDTA but it's not a MTL tank either. It’s more of a restrictive lung hit but you definitely need to lung hit this tank. A MTL vape is difficult to do on this tank, especially with the provided chuff style cap. Wicking is really straight forward and she wicks just like a typical RDTA.
d2f390f69d72eb02c90115d5de57c757.jpg

In conclusion this is a really nice single coil flavor tank. If you like RDTA’s and the airflow is just too much for you then you will absolutely love this tank. If you like a restrictive lung hit and are into single coil tanks you will love this tank as well. The flavor is great and for a single coil tank this baby can chuck some clouds. I’m running a 3mm SS Clapton ohming out at .29 at 60 watts and the flavor is fantastic and the cloudage is really nice.

Pics on various mods:

7796843e779c742506196e6bc17c6e94.jpg
201c4720b8d62128ef14305720667877.jpg
706a3295563c10649eb15bd61b88e29f.jpg
92582a5b84d53d718208af602052eaa2.jpg

Pros:
-Small tank
-Great flavor
-Nice clouds
-Quality machining
-Big fill ports
-Big deck
-Easy to build and wick

Cons:
-No choice on the drip tip only chuff style cap available
-Grub screws could be better
-Tight fit between the chimney and glass
-Some coils could be difficult to trap on this deck.

Specs:
24mm diameter
47mm overall height
3.5mL juice volume
24K Gold plated deck
Convenient top-fill
SUS304 stainless steel
Adjustable airflow
Food grade pyrex glass
Gold-plated 510 contact
Black delrin drip tip

Update:
0fc1289208db069ac17a409db9822b99.jpg

Notice the bubbles? This is really becoming an issue with thicker juices. It's starting to affect the wicking. Coilart needs to take a look at this. The space between the chimney and the glass is way to narrow. It's almost like this tank gets kind of air locked. It's a shame because other than that it's a great flavor tank.

i can see that being an issue on a lot of the GTA style tanks. doesn't seem like they were made to use with thick juice. nice update. really makes me save some money lol

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
i can see that being an issue on a lot of the GTA style tanks. doesn't seem like they were made to use with thick juice. nice update. really makes me save some money lol
Anything above a 70/30 mix is really an issue in this tank. They just should have made the glass 2mm wider and this thing would have been tough to beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Anything above a 70/30 mix is really an issue in this tank. They just should have made the glass 2mm wider and this thing would have been tough to beat.

the starre pure is kinda similar. i mentioned it in my review. it wicks slow with thick juice, but it doesn't get stuck like yours is showing. these tanks re really made for thinner juices, but we all use dripper juices for tanks now because that's what vaping has come too lol

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the starre pure is kinda similar. i mentioned it in my review. it wicks slow with thick juice, but it doesn't get stuck like yours is showing. these tanks re really made for thinner juices, but we all use dripper juices for tanks now because that's what vaping has come too lol
True, 90% of my juice is 70/30 but the premium stuff I buy is super thick and it's a problem in this tank. If someone made a bubble style Cleito glass for this I'd be all in.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
True, 90% of my juice is 70/30 but the premium stuff I buy is super thick and it's a problem in this tank. If someone made a bubble style Cleito glass for this I'd be all in.

90% of mine is 80/20 or higher. i do alot of DIY and depending on my flavor % it's anywhere from 77% to 87% VG
All the bottles i buy are usually 80/20VG or "max VG" the madcow order i placed i did at 60/40VG to have some thinner juice on hand.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
90% of mine is 80/20 or higher. i do alot of DIY and depending on my flavor % it's anywhere from 77% to 87% VG
All the bottles i buy are usually 80/20VG or "max VG" the madcow order i placed i did at 60/40VG to have some thinner juice on hand.
I wanted to like Mad Cow but all their flavors had the same funky base taste. Still trying to get thru them. They've become my Aromamizer/Boreas juices so I can plow through them quickly. Lol.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wanted to like Mad Cow but all their flavors had the same funky base taste. Still trying to get thru them. They've become my Aromamizer/Boreas juices so I can plow through them quickly. Lol.

I had the same problem, there is something in that jooce which gives a funky taste regardless of the flavor.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

I haven't really used them yet. letting them steep. I'll throw some in my modfather, should be able to kill a 100ml in like 3 days lol

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I can't explain it either, have a half dozen bottles I'm going to chuck-out.
I got Munchkin, Zombie, Sweet Tooth and Donut. Munchkin was the best of them but nothing great. Donut has a funky cinnamon taste to it. Sweet Tooth has that weird base taste. Zombie is meh, just about vapeable. Not impressed.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I got Munchkin, Zombie, Sweet Tooth and Donut. Munchkin was the best of them but nothing great. Donut has a funky cinnamon taste to it. Sweet Tooth has that weird base taste. Zombie is meh, just about vapeable. Not impressed.

i got zombie z-n51 and cow brains

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I have to update this review again because I have tried a few different wicking methods and I thought I would share what has worked best for me so far. Wicking this tank is almost counter intuitive. You would think since the deck is suspended that the best way to wick it would be to have the tails of the wick hit the bottom of the tank. No, no, no,. I tried long wicks, short wicks, medium wicks, fat wicks, thinned out wicks, so far this is what I've come to learn. This tank needs a medium thinned out wick. Cut your wick so it's a hair longer than the bottom part of the deck. Thin out the cotton while at the same time making sure you have enough cotton to block the hole on the bottom of the deck. Too much cotton and its dry hit city, too little and you'll flood the deck. It needs to be just right. I trim my wicks to a point after that I thin them out and this seems to work best. The tank still has crazy air bubbles but the vape is great. I have a SS Clapton in there now ohming out at .28, 60 watts in SS TC mode at 485f. The vape is wet, thick, and dense especially for a single coil. Feels like a different tank with this method. So glad I got this down because I really want to like this tank. I still say Coilart should have just made the damn glass bigger to avoid all the trial and error. Bigger glass and a choice of DT's and this thing would have been hard to compete with in the single coil category.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I have to update this review again because I have tried a few different wicking methods and I thought I would share what has worked best for me so far. Wicking this tank is almost counter intuitive. You would think since the deck is suspended that the best way to wick it would be to have the tails of the wick hit the bottom of the tank. No, no, no,. I tried long wicks, short wicks, medium wicks, fat wicks, thinned out wicks, so far this is what I've come to learn. This tank needs a medium thinned out wick. Cut your wick so it's a hair longer than the bottom part of the deck. Thin out the cotton while at the same time making sure you have enough cotton to block the hole on the bottom of the deck. Too much cotton and its dry hit city, too little and you'll flood the deck. It needs to be just right. I trim my wicks to a point after that I thin them out and this seems to work best. The tank still has crazy air bubbles but the vape is great. I have a SS Clapton in there now ohming out at .28, 60 watts in SS TC mode at 485f. The vape is wet, thick, and dense especially for a single coil. Feels like a different tank with this method. So glad I got this down because I really want to like this tank. I still say Coilart should have just made the damn glass bigger to avoid all the trial and error. Bigger glass and a choice of DT's and this thing would have been hard to compete with in the single coil category.

I finally got my gta in and I wicked mine with the cotton just below the deck and using 60/40 juice and it has been performing like a champ.

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Nooooo, I just ordered 600ml.

Nice review, btw!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I finally got my gta in and I wicked mine with the cotton just below the deck and using 60/40 juice and it has been performing like a champ.
Yeah 60/40 is fine. It's the thicker juices that have issues. Since I've been wicking it the way of my last post though even the thicker juices are doing better. They still should have created more space between the barrel and glass though.

@VaporCarp, Hey man you may like it. Taste is very subjective.

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah 60/40 is fine. It's the thicker juices that have issues. Since I've been wicking it the way of my last post though even the thicker juices are doing better. They still should have created more space between the barrel and glass though.

I hope so

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I agree just a hair more space between the glass would have been great

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice Info DJ. Thanks for the review. I won the same tank and haven't had a chance to check it out yet.. so, glad you were trailblazing here, nice to have the heads up before hand.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice Info DJ. Thanks for the review. I won the same tank and haven't had a chance to check it out yet.. so, glad you were trailblazing here, nice to have the heads up before hand.
Thx bro, appreciate that.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great review! I just got mine today. I wicked it just below the deck, but still only a bit into the chamber. I used a 3.5mm ID coil, so I automatically had to thin the wick ends a bit. Like you said, the bubbles kinda suck, but they don't really affect the wicking and this is definitely an A+ flavor tank considering it's only using one coil.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great review! I just got mine today. I wicked it just below the deck, but still only a bit into the chamber. I used a 3.5mm ID coil, so I automatically had to thin the wick ends a bit. Like you said, the bubbles kinda suck, but they don't really affect the wicking and this is definitely an A+ flavor tank considering it's only using one coil.
For sure I'm enjoying it. Thanks for the kind words.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nooooo, I just ordered 600ml.

bXy9j_s-200x150.gif

I ordered Zn51, Sweet Tooth, & Munchkin. Munchkin, to me, had that taste DJ was referring to, the others were fine to me, I 'breathed' it for half a day and that taste went away. I got the 60/40 also. Good juice for the price but I think I'm sticking with Naked and juices from my shop for a few weeks before I experiment with bulk juices again..

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Regarding drip tip choices, I have one of these too, and the drip tips seem to interchange with the regular mage. Considering that it is difficult to open the original mage, it probably benefits more from this than the GTA will.

I hope someone makes a larger aftermarket glass tank for these. I have the same problem others have with 70+VG juice and trapped air bubbles.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nice review bro, especially appreciate the update

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice review bro, especially appreciate the update

Thx man, yeah this one was a little finicky and needed to be played with. Still a great flavor tank but you gotta know what you're doing with this one. Allthumbs is right, they need a Cleito style bubble glass and this tank moves to the top of the single coil pack. I don't know who the hell they have beta testing these things. If I was on that beta test it would have been the first thing I bitched about.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thx man, yeah this one was a little finicky and needed to be played with. Still a great flavor tank but you gotta know what you're doing with this one. Allthumbs is right, they need a Cleito style bubble glass and this tank moves to the top of the single coil pack. I don't know who the hell they have beta testing these things. If I was on that beta test it would have been the first thing I bitched about.

I was ready to pony up for one till I read that edit. It reminded me of the same problem with the lemo2....
Not about to deal with that crap again. There are to many tanks that work out the box to bother.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was ready to pony up for one till I read that edit. It reminded me of the same problem with the lemo2....
Not about to deal with that crap again. There are to many tanks that work out the box to bother.

If I was you I'd hold off till you get that Cthulhu. Like I said I havent tried it wide open yet but I'm thinking its gonna have a similar draw to this tank wide open. Maybe a little tighter. I should know by Sunday.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've had no problem with the "bubble". And I use max VG juices. I tilt it when I fill it, and everything's fine so far. The first time I filled it I guess I didn't tilt it very much and got a bubble, but that was the only time.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If I was you I'd hold off till you get that Cthulhu. Like I said I havent tried it wide open yet but I'm thinking its gonna have a similar draw to this tank wide open. Maybe a little tighter. I should know by Sunday.

Lmao, that tank may get confiscated by the lady. In that case I'll have to buy one anyway.

Then hide it

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

:)

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've had no problem with the "bubble". And I use max VG juices. I tilt it when I fill it, and everything's fine so far. The first time I filled it I guess I didn't tilt it very much and got a bubble, but that was the only time.
Thats true, I said earlier on when I revised the wicking technique that it really does not affect the wicking. However, it is annoying as hell and it could have avoided by making the glass a 1/2mm wider. I will say this, if its wicked right there are no dry hits even while chain vaping.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just ordered a black Mage GTA for my new Snow Wolf Mini Plus. It should fit perfect and be flush since Mage has a diameter of 24mm and Snow Wolf a thickness of 24mm.

:bunny:

VU Sponsors