Become a Patron!

coil springing back. my nemesis

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Let me start by saying I am not good at coil building. As much as I love tinkering with things and building things for some reason building coils can kiss my butt. I've been using 28 gauge stainless steel and twisting it for years now and the stuff from lightning vapes seems pretty good. I wrap 6 times around a 2mm or 2.5mm coil master jig spinner doohicky and yea it does spring back a little when I release the tension, but it's usually not bad and it can easily be tightened up and cleaned up while in the atomizer, but while I was in Ohio I needed wire so I bought a small spool from the local vape shop and it's made by a company called UD. This stuff springs back something fierce. Is there something I can do to my coils while they're all nice and tightly wrapped so that they don't f***ing move back? It's been bothering me for months, but I get by, but this UD stuff is boggling my mind.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried some UD wire and threw it out.
LV for me.

Sure it is not Kanthal?

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I asked for stainless, but the spool doesn't say. It works in temp mode so i'm guessing it's stainless?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just ordered a 250' roll of 26 ga SS316l from LV. Thanks for reminding me.
Gave a spool away and only had a 100' spool left. Heck that is only about 2.5 years worth for me :(
Should be good for 10 years now.

Was sad when Amazon quit carrying LV wire.

You might try annealing the wire with a lighter before wrapping?

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just ordered a 250' roll of 26 ga SS316l from LV. Thanks for reminding me.
Gave a spool away and only had a 100' spool left. Heck that is only about 2.5 years worth for me :(
Should be good for 10 years now.

Was sad when Amazon quit carrying LV wire.

You might try annealing the wire with a lighter before wrapping?

I don't have any lighters anymore lol. Maybe I'll just pitch the ud wire. I was wondering why everything tasted slightly off even in my billow.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have any lighters anymore lol. Maybe I'll just pitch the ud wire. I was wondering why everything tasted slightly off even in my billow.
I had to buy a lighter a while back to light birthday candles :)
I now keep on in my vehicle.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Try heating the wire and tightening it up afterwards. Good Luck

Edit: Let it cool down before you retry tightening~!

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Seeing as how I've already made a thread. I have another question. When I twist my wires together I get these waves in the wire after one end snaps. Is there a way to make those waves go away?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I couldn't do that. Guaranteed it would explode. I have a black truck in north carolina.
Never had one explode on me. Lived 4 yrs in NC and & around Tampa, FL.
New some guys that had one explode in an old pickup, but it fell down the heater vent on the dash into the heater core box :)

Used Bic lighters since they cam out and no booms.
Had a flareup once when a welding sparkle burned a hole in one. Not in pocket at the time.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seeing as how I've already made a thread. I have another question. When I twist my wires together I get these waves in the wire after one end snaps. Is there a way to make those waves go away?
Annealing with heat?
I do not do twisted coils I do Parallel ones with the ends twisted together but not the main coil.

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What colour is the package? I think ud colour code, and you might have titanium

garbage colored lol. I threw out the spool and replaced the coils with wire from my regular lightning vapes spool. Waaay smoother looking coils and the flavor is on point, no dry hits. As much as I hated this tank to begin with I think i'm falling in love.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had numerous spools of wound wires from AVS, and they're all pretty springy. Pain in the ass trying to get the wick night and tight in the coil. Solid wire, no issues at all.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Buy SS316L wire from TEMco, it's pre-annealed and made in the USA. They also have surgical grade Ti, Nickel, and Kanthal.

https://temcoindustrial.com/shop/wire-cable-accessories/non-resistance-wire?alloy=186

They also have shops on AMZ and eBay, just search for TEMco.

It's good clean wire too. ;)

I make myself twisted wire sometimes using just a vise grip and a screwdriver. Takes just a few minutes.

Here's is some twisted 26awg Ti I made:
Z0M4o0h.jpg

Ff4awfN.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors