Become a Patron!

Coil Questions

Okay, I have the ELeaf 50 watt. and I just ordered a Veil V2 authentic... I just need to know what guage wire/ how much I need to use. And also, I've read that you can use ordinary around the house cotton balls... kinda skeptical about that, but can it work?

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I would recommend 26 AWG kanthal for wire. As for cotton. I used cotton balls for a long time. Had no problem with the flavor. I use japanese cotton now mostly because of the convience

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?awg=26

You have an ohm meter, right?

You can use a number of things for wicking: cotton balls from the drug store, japanese cotton sheets, rayon, (or other synthetics). My personal favorites are japanese cotton and rayon, but I started out with cotton balls from Rite Aid (they were fine also)!

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?awg=26

You have an ohm meter, right?

You can use a number of things for wicking: cotton balls from the drug store, japanese cotton sheets, rayon, (or other synthetics). My personal favorites are japanese cotton and rayon, but I started out with cotton balls from Rite Aid (they were fine also)!
Yes, I have an ohm meter. this is my first build so it's never been used on a custom build. And how do I break down the ohm's?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I have an ohm meter. this is my first build so it's never been used on a custom build. And how do I break down the ohm's?
Suggest you learn a little bit about ohm's law and use a ohm's law calculator..this applies mostly to mechanical mods/RDA's but it'll help to understand what ohms are about. Just a thought.. lol

Last edited:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Minimum resistance on the 50w eleaf device is .2 ohm i believe. Id start off in the .5 ohm range and work from there from experience.
id rinse off the plume veil since mine came with a little machine oil.
Find something small like a drill bit to wrap coils around. I suggest using 26 gauge a1 kanthal. Ive been building on rdas for a while and find no need to go any thicker. If i want a thicker wire ill just parallel or twist the 26 gauge and i can rock it that way.
make sure the coils dont overlap and make sure when you tighten down on the posts that the wire is secure and not dancing around the screw.
i suggest checking on the ohm reader before cutting excess wire and flick the ends making sure the ohms dont fluctuate if you do that because if they do you need to either tighten posts further or make sure your wire is fastened under screw. When thats settled cut excess wire. I use nail clippers.
now you can place on mod if its in within your recommended ohm range of course. Tap the fire button until coils got a red glow to them. Then release button and pinch them slightly with tweezers. If you wrap close together from the beginning you might not even need to pinch. The idea is that the coil glows evenly from inside out. Also make sure there are no hot spots and that the legs themselves dont get hot. Youll know what i mean if you see it. Toss that shir out and start over. Hot legs can be fixed by tightening posts.
now thats done wick it up. I like cotton bacon cause it lasts it wicks good and its convenient and fairly inexpensive imo. Make sure its not too tight and not too loose. Has to move freely with some friction but not to the point that it unravels at the choke point or worse that it rips off at the pulling end. I dont like filling the well with cotton but i seen some people overdose on cotton. Whatever works for you i cut the cotton so the ends just touch the well.
hit it with juice. Probly the only time i drip hard is when im saturating fresh cotton. Make sure its completely soaked before firing. Then fire it a few times to see if any adjustments need to be made. Put the hood on her amd rip it up. Sorry for long message and typos i hope ya can get something out of it if not theres a million youtube videos on the subject.
if im exploring builds personally i like rip tripper a lot of people hate on him but his builds are illustrated step by step in good quality so if you havent already check him out.
good luck cant wait to see what you muster up on your first shot.

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You don't need to break down the ohms. Resistance is resistance. I recommend familiarizing yourself with www.steam-engine.org . plug in the gauge wire you have, the diameter coil you want, number of coils and the ohms you're shooting for. It will tell you how many wraps per coil you need.

Don't go insanely low at first. A lot of people swear that there is no point in vaping unless you're using super low ohm builds, but you'd be surprised how satisfying of a build you can get at 0.8-1.2 ohms or even higher. Start there, keep reading and only go lower when you really understand what you're doing.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As above! And remember to check carefully the resistance with dual coils as opposed to single coils (always best to start out with single coils for your first few builds).

Minimum resistance on the 50w eleaf device is .2 ohm i believe. Id start off in the .5 ohm range and work from there from experience.
id rinse off the plume veil since mine came with a little machine oil.
Find something small like a drill bit to wrap coils around. I suggest using 26 gauge a1 kanthal. Ive been building on rdas for a while and find no need to go any thicker. If i want a thicker wire ill just parallel or twist the 26 gauge and i can rock it that way.
make sure the coils dont overlap and make sure when you tighten down on the posts that the wire is secure and not dancing around the screw.
i suggest checking on the ohm reader before cutting excess wire and flick the ends making sure the ohms dont fluctuate if you do that because if they do you need to either tighten posts further or make sure your wire is fastened under screw. When thats settled cut excess wire. I use nail clippers.
now you can place on mod if its in within your recommended ohm range of course. Tap the fire button until coils got a red glow to them. Then release button and pinch them slightly with tweezers. If you wrap close together from the beginning you might not even need to pinch. The idea is that the coil glows evenly from inside out. Also make sure there are no hot spots and that the legs themselves dont get hot. Youll know what i mean if you see it. Toss that shir out and start over. Hot legs can be fixed by tightening posts.
now thats done wick it up. I like cotton bacon cause it lasts it wicks good and its convenient and fairly inexpensive imo. Make sure its not too tight and not too loose. Has to move freely with some friction but not to the point that it unravels at the choke point or worse that it rips off at the pulling end. I dont like filling the well with cotton but i seen some people overdose on cotton. Whatever works for you i cut the cotton so the ends just touch the well.
hit it with juice. Probly the only time i drip hard is when im saturating fresh cotton. Make sure its completely soaked before firing. Then fire it a few times to see if any adjustments need to be made. Put the hood on her amd rip it up. Sorry for long message and typos i hope ya can get something out of it if not theres a million youtube videos on the subject.
if im exploring builds personally i like rip tripper a lot of people hate on him but his builds are illustrated step by step in good quality so if you havent already check him out.
good luck cant wait to see what you muster up on your first shot.
Thanks man! and don't worry about the long message, I'm new to building my own RDA's so I really needed all that info. and I'll make sure to post a pic when I get my RDA

As above! And remember to check carefully the resistance with dual coils as opposed to single coils (always best to start out with single coils for your first few builds).
Yea. I didn't even think about starting off with a single coil... but hopefully everything will work out great. and I'll post a pic when I get it built

You don't need to break down the ohms. Resistance is resistance. I recommend familiarizing yourself with www.steam-engine.org . plug in the gauge wire you have, the diameter coil you want, number of coils and the ohms you're shooting for. It will tell you how many wraps per coil you need.

Don't go insanely low at first. A lot of people swear that there is no point in vaping unless you're using super low ohm builds, but you'd be surprised how satisfying of a build you can get at 0.8-1.2 ohms or even higher. Start there, keep reading and only go lower when you really understand what you're doing.
Yea, I've always like my friends single could Vortex V2... even though he was around 1.0 ohm's, it held the taste and hit really good. and thanks for the website

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried 26g when I first started vaping and found it to bendy. This was before I knew about torching. Anyways, I went to 24g and it was way easier to use.

6 inches will get you a coil. I usually do 6 wraps around a 3/32 drill bit. That comes out to about .2 Ohms. That's for dual coils.

Make sure you have good batteries like Samsung 25r's or the Sony eFest batts.

I highly recommend steam-engine.org. play around with that and you will soon find it much easier to build...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know you're on a regulated mod, which is the safest way to learn building. Steam engine is great, which some people have suggested. But, looking into building, I would strongly suggest you do some research on '0hm's law', 'kirchoff's law', and battery safety.
Great little mod though, congrats!!

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
also check into kingworms law the law states that you must mail me your mod or face a tax penalty. sorry but the kingworm IRStakes no breaks

Demoniacal

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
seriously? a kid? nevermind ohms law, how about practicing not making it so we have more restrictive laws preventing those of us who do this legally from continuing to vape?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thirded

seriously? a kid? nevermind ohms law, how about practicing not making it so we have more restrictive laws preventing those of us who do this legally from continuing to vape?
if everyone wants to get technical about this subjuct, its better than me going off and smoking cigarettes, right? and who ever said I was gonna use it? for all you know I'm building for someone. Just sayin though.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if everyone wants to get technical about this subjuct, its better than me going off and smoking cigarettes, right? and who ever said I was gonna use it? for all you know I'm building for someone. Just sayin though.

Unfortunately it's all amunition for the politicians 'for the sake of the children.'

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's not the alternative, Caleb
The way I see it is: you have three choices of 4 choices

1) Stay away from all Inhalants (the best choice)
2)Vape safely and ask those of us that can, to guide you.
3) Vape unsafely and lose a hand
4) Smoke and start getting cancer

The last two are plain dumb, as a former 2 pack a day smoker the first is the best option.

Kids coming on here gives us as vapors a moral dilemma while we don't endorse a kid vaping most of us, myself included, started smoking when we were younger than you. So to help you not smoke safely, is good.
HOWEVER, with current news coverage; and, people looking for reasons to stop us from vaping altogether, having a youngin on a forum, that anyone can see, proudly proclaiming what he's using giftwraps a news story for CNN and an argument for big tobacco to use in the halls of congress.
The end of that argument can result in either a huge tax on us, or prohibition part II

Last edited:
It's not the alternative, Caleb
The way I see it is: you have three choices of 4 choices

1) Stay away from all Inhalants (the best choice)
2)Vape safely and ask those of us that can, to guide you.
3) Vape unsafely and lose a hand
4) Smoke and start getting cancer

The last two are plain dumb, as a former 2 pack a day smoker the first is the best option.

Kids coming on here gives us as vapors a moral dilemma while we don't endorse a kid vaping most of us, myself included, started smoking when we were younger than you. So to help you not smoke safely, is good.
HOWEVER, with current news coverage; and, people looking for reasons to stop us from vaping altogether, having a youngin on a forum, that anyone can see, proudly proclaiming what he's using giftwraps a news story for CNN and an argument for big tobacco to use in the halls of congress.
The end of that argument can result in either a huge tax on us, or prohibition part II
Trust me when i say that most people know that kids and minors are getting into this without ever having smoked in the first place, it's better for kids to be getting into this rather than smoking in the first place, and do you really think that anyone cares what i 15yr old is talking about in a forum, unless someone in this forum goes on to make a big deal about it, like people already are, then it doesn't exactly matter what people do. And it's not illegal for a minor to vape, it is illegal for people who work in the stores to sell it to minors. Noone cares that minors are vaping in this first place. So many people already know it happens, if more restrictions were going to be placed because of that i think it would have been done by now but thats just me. And like i said it's only illegal to sell it to a minor, it would be like a minor trying to by a rated M video game, they can't. But if someone sees a 12 year old or 9 year old playine some gory first person shooter no-one is going to bat an eye.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
" Knowing " its happening and a congressperson or big tobacco rep going in with printouts from a forum are two totally different things from a perceptual standpoint

And perception for us, right now, matters

As to "no one cares that minors vape, maybe watch CNN or fox news, both have been replaying how bad it is that minors vape since Thursday.

When i saw that i felt like i needed to say something because i'm 17 and started vaping casually a year ago when i bought a kanger evod starter kit. I did come in here to ask something though if you don't mind speaking to a minor about this :p. I recently bought a Caravela mod with a Plume Veil RDA onilne and as i'm waiting for it to get here i realized that i am out of money and do not have an ohm reader. I was wondering if there is anyway that i can get a satisfying ohm range without using an ohm reader? or should i just wait til i have the money for an ohm reader? i will most likely be on a single coil build seeing as this will be my first build.

" Knowing " its happening and a congressperson or big tobacco rep going in with printouts from a forum are two totally different things from a perceptual standpoint

And perception for us, right now, matters

As to "no one cares that minors vape, maybe watch CNN or fox news, both have been replaying hoe bad it is that minors vape since Thursday.
Okay well we can worry about that when we see this one forum show up on CNN. as for now i'm not worried about them picking this one forum, out of the millions that are already out there with the same thing going on.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok two kids under 18 in one thread telling me what to worry about.

.... I'm out y'all

.... I'm out y'all
It's actually sad how ridiculous it is that people think it's a big deal in the first place. Selling vapes to minors shouldnt even be against the law in the first place, the only reason it is is because the juice is "tobacco related" because nicotine comes from tobacco. Does that mean that we should make all hemp related products illegal too because they come from the same plant as ***. It's basically just as ridiculous. Even though it's harmless people still find a way to make things worse than they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

.... I'm out y'all
And what does it matter that you're talking to us anyway? Are you going to get shit for talking to a minor, who didnt illegally buy their vape or juice? If we can get it without it being illegal, the there's no problem. And fuck what the public says about it. People think it's wrong that minors have sex too but you don't see that shit all over the news.

VU Sponsors