Become a Patron!

Coil Ohms question

Rickf28

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am going to build a RDA. i have a Steampunk Clone Mod and a duel coil ego-4. i will be using an Efest 18650 2000mah battery,

what is best ohm coil to build and what is the lowest safe ohm i can go with coil.

battery doesnt tell me how many amps its capable of.

thanks for the help.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One place says 10 amp continuous discharge rating while another says 20. Who really knows. I sure don't. The efest site doesn't even say from what I saw. Maybe someone with better info will chime in. All this battery uncertainty is starting to get old. You would think by now someone in the vaping industry would provide some clarification and verification.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Efest amp limits tend to be lies. Efest re-wraps other batteries and often rates them higher than they should be. .5 ohms at 4.2v would give you 8.5 amps. That and the fact that you will have some level of voltage drop should allow for enough margin of error imo. I would stay .5 ohms and above.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was under the impression the Efest 2000mah batter was a 10 amp continuous.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
See what I mean? Three different ratings found so far.
Also, the efest site refers to the current red, 2000mah cell as a v2 so there is apparently two versions.

Pav

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say to be safe use the lowest amp rating you can find, from a reliable source. So its looking like 10 amps?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have one of these: http://www.fluidvaper.com/efestimr18650

Same as yours?

Here's the test results for both V1 and V2: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356008-Test-Review-of-Efest-IMR18650-2000mAh-(red)

Key things to note:

"Acceptable performance up to 5A, but they have problems with 7A and 10A."

"These batteries are supposed to be IMR cells, but their performance it not good at high currents.
At 5A and below they do have an acceptable performance."

So, use accordingly. ;)
I only use those with protanks and such, not RBA's unless built over 1.5 ohms.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For 5 amps at 4.2v, looking at .85 ohms and above. I would just get a better battery. They are not to expensive.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Or, ya don't have to sub-ohm to get a good vape. I have nothing built below 0.9 ohm, most are built 1.1Ω and above and I'm just fine. ;)

I don't get this craze with seeing how low you can go on ohms just because "everyone is doing it"...just sounds juvenile to me.
I prefer having batteries last years to a week or two.

But, for my lower builds nearing an ohm, yes, I only use 10A or above cells.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I like 24 gauge builds which result in .2-.5 ohms since I dual coil. For me it is about the warmer vape. I want to try using my 20 gauge but honestly I doubt I will be as satisfied with it until they have some high wattage low resistance temp controlled regulated mod.

I would buy it.

Rickf28

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks all. Its not that I just have to have sub ohm. I just wanted to know how low an ohm those batteries would be safe with.

Looks like I'll just get better battery that way I don't have to worry about it.

Again. Thanks for all the input.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Or, ya don't have to sub-ohm to get a good vape. I have nothing built below 0.9 ohm, most are built 1.1Ω and above and I'm just fine. ;)

I don't get this craze with seeing how low you can go on ohms just because "everyone is doing it"...just sounds juvenile to me.
I prefer having batteries last years to a week or two.

But, for my lower builds nearing an ohm, yes, I only use 10A or above cells.
I don't see it as being a craze at all. An rda with dual coils and even 28 gauge wire won't do crap at 16 watts which is what 1 ohm gives you. I have a simple 28g single coil in my kayfun and run that at 20watts. And some people don't like using clearomizer wire in a build it yourself dripper. We're talking mechs here, not voltage adjusting mods. It's not a craze, it's ohms law.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, but china does a lot of stuff that's against other countries laws. What do they care? If your buying, they're selling.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't see it as being a craze at all. An rda with dual coils and even 28 gauge wire won't do crap at 16 watts which is what 1 ohm gives you. I have a simple 28g single coil in my kayfun and run that at 20watts. And some people don't like using clearomizer wire in a build it yourself dripper. We're talking mechs here, not voltage adjusting mods. It's not a craze, it's ohms law.

Well, vaping is about choice. I use mechs and VV/VW both, pretty much with interchangeability on my toppers.

I prefer a vape that is more like how I smoked, I guess.
I don't have the lung capacity for lung hits and I'm not trying to do huge "bong hits" with my RDAs using 18mg juice like I do.

I'm a casual vaper that likes to tinker. I don't push the limits of what I can do as I can't afford to break things. 8-15 watts is plenty for me depending on the device and the build.

* I just built an Erlkonigin with twisted 33 wire, 6 wraps for 1.7Ω and run it at 9W on my MVPv2 and I'm happy.
* Mechs, I run Single/DC builds using 30 or 28 gauge at 1-1.4 ohms or thereabouts and I'm happy.
* I got a Pulse-G Genisis with a single 2.4ohm 3mm macro coil running at about 4.5 volts on my BuzzPro and I'm happy.

Maybe that would be a crap vape to you, but it's not to me. Doesn't make it wrong. :)

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not criticizing anybody's style of vaping. Just pointing out the same thing you just did. Some don't need more power to find satisfaction, some do. Increasing power in a mech requires reducing resistance. Some people might be trying to be cool, some just need more power to properly heat a larger mass of wire.

Rickf28

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks again for the responses.
I'm not sure what I'm going to like yet.
I may like 2ohm or .1 ohm.

Had a guy let me hit his mech at 0.1 ohms and it was great vapor and test.
I'm want to experiment with different builds and just want to make sure equipment I use can handle it.
I build a duel coil (.8ohm) in an ego-w yesterday. I used it on MVP 2. Vapor production was junk.
I have a long way to go. I just want equipment/battery that can hold low ohm builds just in case that's what I like.

Rickf28

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I them put it on Sigelei 30w and it tasted burnt at .8 at 20w and above. Below 20w vapor production was weaker than my eGo twist with aspire BDC.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I them put it on Sigelei 30w and it tasted burnt at .8 at 20w and above. Below 20w vapor production was weaker than my eGo twist with aspire BDC.
Make sure your cotton wick isn't too tight in the coil. It won't wick properly if it is.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I love the urban legend that efest re wraps other companies batteries! Lmfao that's against the law I'm sure efest would of been out of business years ago if this was so true! Come on that's against the law. If u actually believe that then I have some magical beans for sale! Nothing wrong with efest most of Sony fan boys are stuck on Sony name and like over paying for there 18650s just to say there sony!

facebook.com/punishermods
Not against the law in China. And it is true....unwrap one...some say LG...some Samsung....some are polished clean. US law does not apply in China. And you can keep your beans.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Then don't buy junk from China stop trying to get a discount on stuff and by from a dealer that sells legit stuff! It's against us law to import or sell any counterfeit products. U can eat my beans after my morning bowl movement

O shut up with ur anti gun bs! If u don't like it move to the uk! I wasn't ragging on u get of my nuts man! Grow up smart ass piss ur pants if u seen a real gun! Look this guy keyboard tuff guy bet your mom is heating you up a hot pocket as u type away! "Hey mom where my hot pocket? I'm hating because I'm only 18 and can't own a firearm!" It's not called a gun it's a firearm or you just hating because I can build mods and push them and you can't because your on vapeing underground!

Does this guy look like a reputable seller and manufacturer....Don't buy from Punisher Mods, poor example of a Vendor in the Vape world.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Books%2B-%2BSeems%2BLegit.jpeg

doughdreads

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Roll that beautiful bean footage.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love the urban legend that efest re wraps other companies batteries! Lmfao that's against the law I'm sure efest would of been out of business years ago if this was so true! Come on that's against the law. If u actually believe that then I have some magical beans for sale! Nothing wrong with efest most of Sony fan boys are stuck on Sony name and like over paying for there 18650s just to say there sony!

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but do you have a reference for a company OEM'ing a battery being illegal in the US?

I'm pretty certain that this is common in the automotive battery arena, so I'd be surprised if it was actually illegal as long as they are being sold under an OEM licence vs a company that is not efest wrapping another battery and selling it an efest.

VU Sponsors