Become a Patron!

Coil life: sudden or slow

TahKay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's basically the question. From people with experience, do the coils burn out suddenly in a way you obviously know to change them or is it a drawn out decrease in performance and you just kinda guess? Thanks!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What are you talking about? RDAs / RTAs or the coils in the factory manufactured heads of tanks?

TahKay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Factory coils are what I'm currently using, maybe later down the road I'll look into RBA. If it matters to answer the question, I have an aspire sub ohm atomizer. (If my terminology is off, I'm still learning)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have an Atlantis, if that's what you are using. But in any case, as with any factory coils, your wicking is going to go bad long before the "coils" do. My guess would be a slow progression to lack of flavor or bad flavor. Since I don't know about Atlantis coils, I wouldn't know how to tell you how to clean them, but I'm sure once the taste becomes bad you can clean and dry burn them like any other factory coil, at least once to get some more life out of them.

TahKay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, it's the Atlantis. Now how thorough of a clean are you saying? Like taking the wicking and the actual coil out of the atomizer housing? Is that what you do with other brands?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, it's the Atlantis. Now how thorough of a clean are you saying? Like taking the wicking and the actual coil out of the atomizer housing? Is that what you do with other brands?
Just go to youtube and search for "how to clean an Atlantis head" and I'm sure you'll find all the tutorials you'll need. Or maybe not since it's such a new product. I don't have an Atlantis so I wouldn't know what to tell you. I bet if you started a more specific thread under the title of something like "How to clean an Atlantis head" you'd get more response.

TahKay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, posted that and thought why don't I just Google it. Thanks for the help.

tchavei

Member For 4 Years
Well... On rtas, I have no idea. My last coil, parallel side-by-side, 32 gauge, 1.3 Ohm Kanthal A1 is still working 18h a day, 7 days per week for 3 months now... I only recoil when I'm bored.
:D

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

"Je suis Charlie" - R. I. P.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It also depends on the juice you are using. With the vanilla juice I'm vaping, I had to change my coils on my Kanger Pro tank every 3-4 days. With a different juice it lasted 2 weeks.
In general, I could tell it was time, when the juice turned a lot darker, compared to the color of the liquid in the bottle. With the vanilla, it also developed a burnt flavor, when I waited too long on changing the coil.
On a Kayfun and the vanilla juice, I needed to do a dry burn (without the wick) and change the wick every week. With another juice, I had to do this procedure after 3 months. Be careful with the dry burns. I melted an insulation sitting on the positive pole. Luckily I noticed it on time, and that Kayfun was still working.
The coil itself, you'll have to watch during those dry burns. If there are hot spots, etc.

Last edited:

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It also depends on the juice you are using. With the vanilla juice I'm vaping, I had to change my coils on my Kanger Pro tank every 3-4 days. With a different juice it lasted 2 weeks.
In general, I could tell it was time, when the juice turned a lot darker, compared to the color of the liquid in the bottle. With the vanilla, it also developed a burnt flavor, when I waited too long on changing the coil.
On a Kayfun and the vanilla juice, I needed to do a dry burn (without the wick) and change the wick every week. With another juice, I had to do this procedure after 3 months. Be careful with the dry burns. I melted an insulation sitting on the positive pole. Luckily I noticed it on time, and that Kayfun was still working.
The coil itself, you'll have to watch during those dry burns. If there are hot spots, etc.
Oh yea, the flavor you vape matters alot. I make a diy vanilla custard and i have to rewick and dryburn every three days minimum. By that point, my coil is black and my wicks are dark brown. But Im using rdas.
I used to use a dark tobacco flavor in my kayfun and I was disassembling and reconstructing after every tank. But when I started on a lighter strawberry flavor, I could go two or three tanks before it needed cleaned

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If they are built properly they don't burn out, they just degrade over time.

tchavei

Member For 4 Years
I think we are confusing wicks and coils here. Wicks react much more to the juice then the coil. If the coil is full of gunk you only need to dry burn it and scrub it a little under running water and it's good for another period.

Wicks lifespan depends on the material, wicking technique and obviously juice. Some last a tank and others last 150ml. It all depends on the above mentioned factors. Coils generally can live a very long time. Even the 32 gauge ones. In all my life I never changed a coil because I needed to.

My wicks last generally around 40ml because feel the urge to rewick but I've made it to 100ml until it starts to taste funny or I screw up with a dry hit.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my phone through a keyboard (or something like that)

4biddenArtist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use the aspire nautilus tank and after my first three days I burnt my wick and the coil was all black and gunky when i disassembled it. It doesnt help that I had just bought some thunderhead 80Vg/20 Pg blend to try and blow some clouds! these tanks dont wick high VG well and at 15 watts it burnt my wick FAST and gunked up my coil.. I will be getting the joyetech Delta II next and the istick 50. I like the juice flow option on the head and the rebuildable coil option. I will be getting into building my coils using this tank as an introduction to sub ohming. I may be new to these fricking awesome devices but I started vaping almost 5 years ago and gave it up due to the crap that was available then. But now I am analog free 6 days and blowing through 7ml of juice a day... YUM.

I was told to replace my factory coil about every 5 days. At my vape shop http://www.divisionvapor.com
anyhoo I wouldn't try to rebuild a factory head until you have experience with an RDA.

VU Sponsors