Become a Patron!

Coil leg direction?

bklynt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have an avocado 24 on a smok alien 220w mod. I've been reading up on coil building and came across a site saying that certain RTAs have to have both coil legs in the same direction while others require both coil legs in the opposite direction.

With my specific RTA and mod which do I have to have, both coil legs in the same direction or both coil legs in the opposite direction?

Also by both coil legs, is that referring to one coil or two (I want to use one coil until I get better at building)?

Thanks.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Avocado has what's commonly called a "velocity-style" deck. Your legs will point in the same direction. Doesn't matter if it's one coil or two. One coil mounts on either side of the posts. A second coil would mount on the opposite side. Like this:
20170121_235257.jpg

Here is an example of legs in the opposite direction:
IMG_20170410_145435.jpg

bklynt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Does anything happen if they point in the opposite direction? I bought some pre made clapton a and their legs are in opposite directions (I've been using it for a few days this way and it seems fine but then I read what I just read and was worried)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The coil I have looks like the one you just posted
That coil is for an atty similar to the Nuppin, which has a post dead center and the other at the edge.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I edited the other post to include a pic of coils on a velocity deck.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anything happen if they point in the opposite direction? I bought some pre made clapton a and their legs are in opposite directions (I've been using it for a few days this way and it seems fine but then I read what I just read and was worried)
You can move the one leg in the direction which suits the atty....if you have something already working you should be golden.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What inspects said, or you can wrap or unwrap one leg to make them both point in the same direction. Or maybe you mounted it between the posts? That's why I asked for a pic of the build.

PS - I don't know what a Nuppin is. Lol

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What inspects said, or you can wrap or unwrap one leg to make them both point in the same direction. Or maybe you mounted it between the posts? That's why I asked for a pic of the build.

PS - I don't know what a Nuppin is. Lol
156ac0f2fea7d74c2b2affea78eda8a2.jpg

Here's a nuppin rda. Positive post in the middle.

Last edited:

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bklynt. That's a perfect build. That's a classic style coil. Where the 'high' leg is on the right and the 'low' leg on the left. Your Avocado has velocity build deck meaning it has 2 towers that holds the coil connections. 1 tower is for positive 2nd for negative.
Some tanks require the high leg on the left and low leg on the right . Look at the 1st picture below. That's the OBS engine nano and the high leg is on the left.
Some tanks require reverse direction legs. You'll see that in the 2nd picture. Most of these coil builds will be on single coil build decks.
Glad to see you are learning how to build coils. Have fun with it.
4593b455aae1dbf4b0bcc673d890292a.jpg
67cebe563a07d5af4883de8f52bcd7e4.jpg

VU Sponsors