Become a Patron!

Coil costs

Cote-2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I have been blessed with the ability to build coils even complex ones (one of my few attributes). If I made them would people buy them? I realise it would be pocket money but I enjoy fiddling with making coils - why not make a few bob. If yes, how much could one charge reasonably for one coil (for example a common Clapton coil)? Forgive me but I build my own and have no idea what a person would pay for a finished coil or pack of coils. Thanks for any responses. Cheers.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Have you noticed bigger vendors starting to sell custom wire, like claptons? Saw it the other day, but I apologize... I completely forgot where I saw it. And our B&M started carrying twisted wire in retail tubes (in addition to their in-house stuff). So it should be out there, if you want to comparison shop. Not sure about finished custom coils... don't think I've run into those. Yet.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's my 2cents
If ur broke and have the time
Go build ur own coil
If u have the money and don't have time
BUY it
There's nothing wrong with that.....IMO

VAPE ON

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There are already people selling them on E-bay.

My opinion is, can you sell them for enough money, for your time investment/supply investment/shipping/swelling fees ? Who knows. I wouldn't pay much for coils myself. Others just might.

A local shop has people asking all the TIME, for prebuilt coils. The shop owner determined for the costs associated with making them and labor, there wasn't any money in it.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tonight after work I'm gonna build me CLAPTONS.. I'm not broke but I have time...

VAPE ON

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There are already people selling them on E-bay.
Not surprising. Call this glaring proof that I never go on Ebay.
Not knocking the idea of selling stuff, but for me personally, I wouldn't feel right buying claptons... like if I can't make them, I don't deserve to have them. Dumb, I know.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought some from INSTAGRAMN before 30 bucks for 4 pairs of CLAPTONS and caterpillar coils...

VAPE ON

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not surprising. Call this glaring proof that I never go on Ebay.
Not knocking the idea of selling stuff, but for me personally, I wouldn't feel right buying claptons... like if I can't make them, I don't deserve to have them. Dumb, I know.
I don't think it's dumb. I kinda feel the same way.

If I'm not skilled enough to make them, I don't feel I'm skilled enough to be using them.

Cote-2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
It would be a hobby but with my OCD I would probably end up with 1000's. Hate to think I'd be stuck with them.

uglyrichie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hell if it's something you enjoy doing, go for it throw them on eBay or take them to your B&m. Even if all you get back is cash for more wire you still get the satisfaction of doin what you enjoy, up the price on more complex builds. A lot of people don't want to spend the time they want it now

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I expect the chinese to start selling clapton wire by the spool soon.
They're mass producing it already. Haven't bothered looking for it online, but our B&M just started selling tubes of it. Precut 15cm, at least 10 pieces, $8.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been blessed with the ability to build coils even complex ones (one of my few attributes). If I made them would people buy them? I realise it would be pocket money but I enjoy fiddling with making coils - why not make a few bob. If yes, how much could one charge reasonably for one coil (for example a common Clapton coil)? Forgive me but I build my own and have no idea what a person would pay for a finished coil or pack of coils. Thanks for any responses. Cheers.
IMO, there is not enough profit in wire. If I was looking for a profitable niche in this industry, it would be juice. There's still a growing market for juice. You come up with a good flavor and you can sell it. You can get $10 here locally for a set of fused clapton's installed. $5 for a set of regular coils installed. The money is in the juice.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I expect the chinese to start selling clapton wire by the spool soon.
I got a 15' spool from Youde a couple weeks ago for Ike $3. VJ has been promoting a few deals involving manufactured Clapton wire lately...

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

Cote-2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I think I will do them and just give them away to friends. As I really do enjoy doing coils - coils and chainmail jewelry. Mastered chainmail so now I need a new hobby. I am thinking of making my own ejuice. May be in time I will be good enough to come up with a flavour or two. Cheers mates!

VU Sponsors