Become a Patron!

Coil Building Injuries

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thinking of posting a general question regarding an issue I've had that might be due to building coils often, but also thought it might be fun(ny) for us "shapers of the wire" to share any various injuries we might have sustained as well as possible ways to avoid said injuries...so, I guess it could be informative as well.

Hand and finger numbness is what made me think of putting this out there and was curious if anyone else has had this issue. After using the drill for a sustained period...say, freehand claptoning (no swivel system setup) ten 8 inch sections of wire to use for the wrapping wire of Alien Coils...has anyone experienced this numb or "buzzing" sensation in their fingertips and/or hands? It seems to abate after having stopped running the drill for awhile, but the sensation seems to be taking longer and longer to go away and was curious if this is common or not?

As for other injuries, aside from stepping on clipped pieces of wire I failed to notice on the ground and the ever-present callus on the outside of my index finger that I use to guide thin gauge wire when claptoning...my worse injury to date would have to be getting angry while trying to teach myself the staggered fused clapton. I had the two cores with evenly spaced claptons in the chuck of the drill trying to catch a rhythm when fusing them together and it just wasn't happening and I got so angry that I grabbed the chuck and turned it to release the wires and grabbed the wires with a fist grip to yank out of the chuck of the drill and toss across the room only to discover I hadn't turned the release on the drill enough...so, when I went to yank the wires out, they stayed stuck in the chuck of the drill and slipped through my fist as I yanked. I still have a chunk of skin missing from the side of my finger from that little stunt!
So, my lesson to all is to not act in anger when dealing with frustrating situations...better to walk away and fume elsewhere before trying to take out your anger on a seemingly benign inanimate object!

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Oh man... Drill(s) thrown through drywall, pieces of wire i step on or get jabbed through my finger tips, the best is the drills i broke while learning ribbon. I picked the cordless drill straight up just like it was sitting and began smashing it up and down on the table .. The handle the battery was attached to snapped in half when i slammed it downn about the fourth time so when it did that it smashed into my hand and i swore i broke my pinky. My wife in the background while im fixing drywall "well you could start doing this as a job your getting good at it" grrr

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Geez I thought I had anger issues LOL

The only injuries I've incurred have been pricked fingers and sore thumbs(from holding the drill trigger). I've had much worse as a carpenter, steel fabricator/welder, and shade tree mechanic. Hell, I've hurt myself worse mowing grass lol.

The deepest and most painful injuries, from building, have been to my pride. :cry:

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Two things that I want to master this summer are welding and coil building. Both look so easy on YouTube, but when I start I mess up every time.

Im sure that my index finger fingerprint is changed a lot since I do fused claptons freehand.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Trying to fuck with some ribbon wire I sliced the hell out of my finger down to the bone. Since it was NOT edged that motherfucker hurt like no one's business and took forever to heal.
Tons of wire step on.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Before I started buying premade Claptons, some times I would cut my finger by exerting too much pressure while wrapping my 24AWG Kanthal Coils.

Nothing big, just enough to let a little of the red stuff out.

Never even needing a band aid.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Geez I thought I had anger issues LOL

The only injuries I've incurred have been pricked fingers and sore thumbs(from holding the drill trigger). I've had much worse as a carpenter, steel fabricator/welder, and shade tree mechanic. Hell, I've hurt myself worse mowing grass lol.

The deepest and most painful injuries, from building, have been to my pride. :cry:

Amen brother. I was a metal stud framer and sheetrock hanger for over 15 years. I've needed stitches a few times over the years. :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amen brother. I was a metal stud framer and sheetrock hanger for over 15 years. I've needed stitches a few times over the years. :)
Ugh, those metal studs suck ass. I didn't hang sheetrock, I worked in a place that built foamcore walls for various places. The framing was metal stud, faced with styrofoam and things like doors edged and window openings beveled or whatever was called for. Then the panels were lifted off stands and moved to the paint booth where the guys hit it with a mix of sealer, paint and stucco. A few coats of that added some weight to the panels, they ended up around 600lbs give or take depending on the length. Usually 4 of us would carry them and stand them up on edge leaned against a wall in the shop. Sucky part was once they were vertical there was nothing to grip but the inside edges of the metal studs. More than once had one slip and run across my hand. Much cursing ensued lol.

Hoping to start building coils soon, more complex than simple round wire or twisted. Not expecting much in the way of injury, we'll see. At least I've used drills plenty so plenty comfortable with the tools. I imagine it's a little different for people whose first real experience with drills is when they go to try building coils, getting a feel for the variable triggers and stuff until they get the hang of it.

Can't be any worse than wrenching on cars. Various cuts, busted knuckles, fingers smashed, burns from exhaust or welding. (Took me awhile to appreciate long sleeves when welding even during hot summers, had a weird tan between the short sleeves and cuffs of the welding gloves lol). Went to borrow the boss's air ratchet and finish work on a car, his was already hooked up to the air. Just my luck, didn't realize he'd just gotten a new one - with a lot of torque. He didn't tell me until after I managed to wedge my throbbing knuckles from between it and the control arm. Even managed to rap myself in the nuts with the handle of a 20lb sledge while trying to knock an inner dual off a dump truck that was rusted on. Good times :p

VU Sponsors