Become a Patron!

coil build advice for newbie!!

So recently someone got me into vaping. I know a decent amount but still struggle with types of coil builds. Currently I have a Copper Simple Mod with a Dark Horse Atomizer that has dual coils(6 wraps) at .14 ohms. I use a MXJO IMR 18650 single high drain battery. I want to produce denser clouds and was wondering what a really good build would be without shorting or messing up my mod and battery. What guage wire should I use and what is the best type or brand. Any info would help!! Thanks..

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Anything below .20 and youre pushing your luck but best of luck to you..especially with a re wrapped mxjo that probably says its 40 amps and its not.

100% VG and a low voltage drop mod along with a good battery such as the vtc3 or 4 and you should blow clouds with simple 26g dual coils at .2ohm

But dump those batteries will ya...get some"true 30amp" sony vtc3's or 4's

The Vaping Goat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Agreed, high VG and decent batteries. I'm fond of LG HE2'S and HE4's. I hear a lot of good stuff about the Samsung 25r too but I can't say from personal experience as my pair are almost definitely fakes!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I use the Samsung 25R and it is a good battery.

Need to order more of them!

JonnyBoy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Agreed, high VG and decent batteries. I'm fond of LG HE2'S and HE4's. I hear a lot of good stuff about the Samsung 25r too but I can't say from personal experience as my pair are almost definitely fakes!
Thumbs up to the Samsung 25Rs. Good batteries that can take some heat.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lightningvapes has legit vtc4s.
Learn to parallel your coils. Im a parallel freak and with 26g i got 7wraps parallel dual coil came to .2 and plumes with the best of em.
It hits even better than a 22g dual build i got in a diff atty. Granted im on the hexohm v2, which i can plume on .2-.3 by just cranking up the volts. On a single cell mech id give it a wrap or two less to achieve the same hot vape.
Definitely get better cells i wouldnt gamble the low build you got on a rewrap.

defvayne

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You need to learn more about battery safety first and then coil building. You always build your coils to the amp draw from each specific battery. Don't just build blindly without a way to test for resistance.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What kind of wire do you have in there now? Just for safety's sake i would say to adhere to the advice above. It may not be wise to continue with such a low build on a single 18650. Regardless though, it would help to know what you've got under the hood

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Samsung 25R's are good batteries...but not for what hes trying to do...PLEASE DO NOT use Samsung 25R's with anything below .5 ohm..On a mech mod especially.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Samsung 25R's are solid down to .25....I use them on my tube mechs with my .24 single parallel 24 gauge builds that are 3.2 mm inner diameter and 5 wrap and they work just fine....anyone who's read my rants knows that below .2 on a single battery tube mech in my opinion is pushing into dangerous territory I can't recommend and use at your own risk.

I agree that simple parallel builds are great for improving both flavor and clouds. My favorite is the single coil version I mentioned above or a 26 gauge Kanthal dual parallel coil build with each of them 7 wraps around a 3.2 mm drill bit also metering around .24 ohms. Again, I use that with my Samsung 20 and 25R's and my LG HE4 with no problems. Even if it could use the full 4.2 volts it still tops out at 17.5 amps and my copper Nemesis seems to be the lowest voltage drop of my single battery mechs and with those batteries fully charged I've never metered it's output above 3.7-.3.8.

If you must go below into the red zone below .2 ohms then a VTC 3 is my best recommendation. yes it has less mah than a VTC 4 but it's actually a better preforming battery and with a build that low you're only going to loose a couple draws at best before you'd have to switch anyways. Next recommendation would be a VTC 4, then the new LG HB6 if you can find it (also a 30 amp continuous drain battery,) and lastly a LG HD2 25 amp continuous drain battery. those will give you a little more room for error or something to go wrong, and safer performance.

If you choose to go that low with one battery I wish you the best of luck...but I cannot endorse or recommend it...especially with so many great regulated high wattage mods on the market today and more an more dual to quad mech boxes coming out in both series and parallel versions. Vape safe...try a higher resistance parallel or twisted build before going any lower please....please?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^ This. I've personally ventured into 0.2 territory with my VTCs on a mech, but I don't do that now that I've got a regulated box to push big power on, and it's less than reassuring to hear about people doing it with lower-end batteries...

VU Sponsors