Clone economics & consumer pshycology... observations

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is an opinion editorial. A fairly balanced and hopefully entertaining "short story" - as opposed to a hostile argument from one side of the fence or the other. If it's more "words" than you're used to reading at one time... sorry.
So, enjoy - comment - agree/disagree - spit vitriol... what ever blows your skirt up.
bluewinky.jpg

A large percentage of the folks that own original mechs and RBAs, own clones as well. Shocker huh?
They may not be willing to admit it on a public forum... but they have them and use them. In the most frequent scenario (at least, from my vantage point), they may have an original mod, and the clone (usually the best one available, when there are options)... with the original put away for safe keeping (only drug out for photos or to show friends), and the clone for everyday use.
They buy originals because, even though they may have to save up for them... they appreciate the product and efforts to make that product. They buy clones because they appreciate the price point and practicality of that product, and it's functionality in their day to day lives.

An even larger (largest? - probably) percentage have never owned, nor do they have any desire to buy, an original.
"Clone buyers" may buy nothing but clones because - they don't appreciate originals/don't care if they support original makers, have a small vaping budget - but a large appetite for devices... and finally, they may have plenty of money - could easily buy originals, but have practical, logical limits (emotional and moral detachment?) on what they'll spend for "tubes, end caps and buttons".
As a side note... I've had folks who try to pass off clones as originals. Usually in a social environment. Why? That's a good question. I usually say... "nice clone", and they sheepishly contest my comment (silly people) or they sulk off and avoid eye contact for the rest of the event.
This may be the same logic as people who buy clone wristwatches, purses, shoes, clothing (woo... this list could go on for ever, right?)... I guess they just need to impress upon someone - that they have money and taste(?) beyond their actual means.

The smallest group... the "originals only" vapists, have been called everything from elitists to asshats (or worse) for their, most often stated... "moral grounds" stand. They would not be caught dead with a clone... even if they couldn't tell the clone and original apart. There's nothing inherently wrong with this... if they can afford it, can appreciate the device, the designers efforts and fair due, then they should do so... without any abuse from the clone lovers.
This group tends to like to show off their "kit"... but are far more subtle and clever about it. Very low key and nonchalant in their display. I appreciate the extra effort.
yes.gif

At the consumer economics level, the buying and selling of both clones and originals is getting interesting.

Some original owners, as soon as the clone version becomes available, try to sell the original... before no one is interested in spending "original money", and they're forced by economic logic to sell them at deep discount prices, or keep them.
Some purposely intend to "sit on them"... until when or why, I don't know... because I can't see into the future.
Some rare, still un-cloned devices - either too esoteric or of limited sales (the $1500 Element 5th for example) for the Chinese to care about - can demand original or higher prices... for now.
Funny thing about clones... on the used resale market, they often take less of a hit, percentage wise, than originals. A "high quality", popular, well cared for (and mechanically sorted out) clone can often fetch the price it sold for.

There are exceptions... but only because China hasn't gotten around (yet) to cloning every mech, RDA and RTA made... but that's more a matter of time, or because an original just came out, or because the China companies haven't got their hands on an original.
This latter reason, can be a permanent, or only a temporary deterrent. With enough photos and descriptions by original owners posted to the internet... the Chinese don't necessarily need an original, because an "almost" 1:1 copy will still sell.

China clones aren't going away any time soon. The quality is getting better and better, as is the level of "reproduction" (aka - forgery or copy) down to the finest detail. There are plenty if incidences where the clone and the original, in both performance and appearance, can't be told apart... and a few incidences where the clone, albeit somewhat empirically, beats out the original in several categories.

The Chinese are beginning to understand that potential (US) buyers may have multiple price points, often separated by only a few dollars. Don't think so? Visit FT and look at any popular mech mod. For example, the Nemesis or Caravela clones. Ignoring "color" there are several versions of the same thing... at differing, sometimes very small, price points.
This matters to some folks... they want a Nemesis, but they can't afford the $25 one, yet can afford the $16 one. You might be able to afford the extra nine bucks... but there's someone who can't, and doesn't care about the quality differences... they just want that damn Neme'!

Will this ever slow down... die off? Well, vaping is becoming more and more popular. It's what all the kool kids are doing. There are many - as often evidenced by the number of posts (found frequently on the more established forums... not so much on VU, yet), lacking in any useful detail, asking for "assistance" - new or nearly new vapists who went from nothing, right into mechs and RBAs. A, typically heated, discussion often ensues in these threads.

So... mechs and RBAs are popular, and will continue to be popular for awhile. People buy what their friends have, or what their friends tell them to buy... or what ever looks kool on their iPhones.
Some search for the device that is the most unique ("unique clone"? - that has to be an oxymoron) and least likely to come across in their neighborhood. That last methodology is usually short lived... unique and kool today, common as dirt tomorrow.
I can go on and on... but really, there are probably an untold number of reasons, practical and impractical, for people's shopping habits.

In the end, we buy what we like, what we can afford... perhaps what we need to impress our friends - and often total strangers on the internet forums.
The "clone haters" and the "clone fans" will continue to spit their arguments at each other all day long, but... in the end, I believe there are more clone haters that will eventually buy a clone (or admit to already having a few)... before clone fans spend 4-5 times a clone price for an original.

Cheers
wink.gif

I was undecided on where to post this... ECF, VU, Calivapers and others. I went with VU because it's a sufficently large, adequately diverse and mostly experienced audience - with little to no restriction of one's opinion by the management.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well Done and Well Said!

And I agree on your choice of the forum to share your insight.

You could have easily been accused and tried as a witch on another forum which I will not mention here.

"Cough" ECF "Cough"

IMHO, there has always been a segment of the population that has to have the latest and greatest immediately when it becomes available and hang the cost.

Vapers are no different.

Me, I tend to be interested in form, fit and function and when something new and shiny is the newest latest and greatest, I like to hang back and watch the reviews.

And if the price is something I can justify for what it offers and I like the outcomes of the reviews, I just may purchase it.

Or wait for a clone to become available and then wait for the reviews.

The big thing right now is the Chana Clone.

Nothing against the original Hanna Mod, but when it comes right down to it, $250 is a fair amount of money for a box with some really good stuff inside of it.

Now the Chinese are in the game and are offering a really decent clone for $70.

I am waiting for the Focalcigs version which goes for $56 shipped.

Form. fit and function.

And I have never had that much use for elitist or dare I say snobs.

I just share my most charming personality with anyone that can stomach it and am very content with the gear I have.

Until the next latest and greatest comes out and the grand circle of vaping continues!

Last edited:

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Before we forget, some of these clone manufacturers - like Cloupor - are coming out with their own - sometimes flawed - originals ...
3345d1405409559-cloupor-t5-50watts-mod-screen-shot-2557-07-15-2.31.07-pm.png

Wouldn't it be a delicious irony if some US outfit cloned these devices and sold them for lower prices?!
images

Last edited:

Freeloader

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Before we forget, some of these clone manufacturers - like Cloupor - are coming out with their own - sometimes flawed - originals

And others, like Infinite with their CLT, come out with an 'original' that borrows from several different sources.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wouldn't it be a delicious irony if some US outfit cloned these devices and sold them for lower prices?!

if this were possible i think the US would just sell the authentics for decent prices.. manufacturing has been destroyed in the US although many still like to think it hasnt

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You know why I don't buy "authentic" mods? It's the same reason you will never hear me say "Guess what, I just hired the most expensive plumber in town to unclog my john." I'm Practical. I'm also into "reality" which dictates that I don't need an expensive mod to vape, because nobody I know or encounter gives a flying fuck. If I walked into a bar here, and someone asked my what I paid for my device, and I told them 200$ I would probably have guys lining up to kick my ass for acting like a bitch.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wouldn't this get better response if not posted in DIY section but perhaps in the Mod section? Doesn't matter to me, we can talk mods too. I have both and use both. No special occasions, just when the mood hits.

Everyone should use what they want and stop worrying about what others do.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors