Become a Patron!

CLEAN AND REUSE KANTHAL COILS? (SUB OHM)

Hey guys, I had a few quick questions. I'm running a 0.3ohm kanthal build right now and it gathers gunk really quickly because I use it so much and I mainly vape on sweeter favours. I've tried a few methods for cleaning the coils and wanted to know if anyone had any tips or suggestions?
I've done the tap water method (didn't have very much luck) and I've tried jewelry cleaner (worked pretty well).
Also, after I've cleaned and rewicked etc. I always get a really strong, almost burnt metallic type taste until I've dripped three or four times.. Is this normal?
Thanks guys!
-- Beth

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I don't change my coils very often. I use the dry burn, dip in cold water a few times and they're usually ready to go again. I also generally brush the coil off with a soft brush if it's really "gunked".

rolltidevaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I use a soft toothbrush, but you have to be pretty gentle or you're damage your build. I dry burn, dip, dry burn, lightly brush. I have a coil in my old Kayfun that's been in there for weeks. I do re-wick every 3-4 days.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
CVS has these little toothpick looking things that have a tiny brush. They are meant to use in place of flossing to get between your teeth and they work great for cleaning coils.

And per above, dry burn your coil until it glows nice and red and give it a little dunk in cold water.

rolltidevaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
don't mean to sound condescending, but make sure you only dip the coil, you don't want to get anything else wet :)

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dry burn the coil(s) and dip in water then detail with these air brush tool cleaning brushes if necessary. About three bucks on EBAY.

f6de9298a792d12792aba60741e45ffe_zpsskokgb2l.jpg

Last edited:

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I'm lucky. All I do is take the old gunked wick out, dry burn for about 5 seconds and immediately hit it with tap water. I do this about 3 times, then I dry burn it to get the water off them. I swab the bottom of the deck with a q-tip to soak up any excess drops of water and re-wick. Looks and tastes like new every time. My tastes are similar to the OP, I use dual parallel 28 gauge coils @ .25 ohms and vape the hell out of sweet max vg juice. This method seems to work for me though.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I take out the wicks, wash the deck under hot tap water, blow off excess water a bit, fire the coils until they're bright red and use a small stainless toothbrush (welders) to brush the coils
off a bit..recheck ohms on the meter and re tighten the screws if necessary.
Been using the same 24g .3 ohm coils in my Dark Horse over 4 mos now doing it this way...hope this helps some..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All I've done is dry burn them, brush the crap and carbon off, rinse the atty in hot water and dry and rewick.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dont even brush. Just pulse until yellow, let it cool and rewick.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Burn for few secs, running tap water. 2 or 3 times. Coils are shiny afterwards.

VapeLikeALady

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I drip water out of a juice bottle I've cleaned out.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm, the tap water method has always worked okay. My coils tend to rust, so I don't use it much before I give up and change coils. How are you going about it? Personally, I pulse until the coils start to glow, dunk, give em a second, and repeat 2-3 more times. I find it's generally better to not fire the crap out of them. Without anything on them, .3's will get every bit of 800 degrees when fired. All sorts of nasty things can happen on the molecular level.

I never had the metallic taste issue doing things this way. Sometimes fresh organic cotton wicks have a bit of an off, alkaline taste initially though, even on fresh builds. To circumvent this, I juice up my fresh wicks fully and pulse them while blowing until they visibly start to get just a little dry. After that I replenish and vape and I'm good to go.

Also, make sure you're not choking the coils with wick. That in itself, can cause a metallic taste.

VU Sponsors