Become a Patron!

clapton questions

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
so after everything i read, i am lead to believe, MANY MANY people feel SOME type of clapton gives superior flavor to basic single wire coils.

Ok I accept that.

I bought a crius and some premade wire
2x26/32 ga 316L
well the biggest clapton I could fit was so low in ohms my mods wouldnt fire it.

SO i have a griffin 22 now
first thing I put in was a 7 wrap 2.4mm coil came in around .12 as a dual coil. Flavor is great

But I found i needed to up the wattages a lot. WHICH is fine. I have a 200w,165w and 75 devices. SO im running the coils around 100w and have 2 issues
1. battery life is shortened
2. ramp up time

so I tried making BIGGER coils got an 8 wrap 3mmID in there and its up to about .19 can run this at 80 ish watts and get about the same as the other coils at 100w.

now i can live with reduced battery life since Im running at higher wattages
and ramp up time is what it is I guess

But I want to put a griffin on my d2 which is 75 watts and can only fire down to .2

so im thinking I need claptons at higher ohms
not only to get the d2 to fire but to reduce the wattage needed to power the coils down to 75 or lower

SO i researched and found thinner wire as the core and thicker wire on the wrap ups the ohms

ok so 2x28/30 316L coils wrapped 7 times at 3.0ID should get above .2 for the D2
and if i switch to Kanthal the ohms will go even higher

so assuming everything I just type dis correct...if not someone correct me.
what actually effects ramp up time. or basically how do you get a clapton to ramp up faster with out just raising the watts.

Does using a single core help, using thinner cores, thicker cores, etc etc. What can you do differently when building a clapton to make it ramp up faster with the same wattage as another clapton.

Does kanthal ramp up faster or slower then SS?

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
This is my favorite tool for doing all that math and figuring. http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp I know personally I am in love with 26g SS inner and 38g SS outer 6 wraps on a 3mm ohms about at .22 and works great in my griffin 22mm tank

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lower mass means shorter ramp up time.
Thinner wire means higher resistance.
Kanthal has higher resistance then SS.

Try single core 26 or 28X2 SS, or switch to Kanthal.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
This is my favorite tool for doing all that math and figuring. http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp I know personally I am in love with 26g SS inner and 38g SS outer 6 wraps on a 3mm ohms about at .22 and works great in my griffin 22mm tank

yes ive used steam engine to figure out how to get the ohms up, very helpful...but it didnt help me with ramp up time...maybe i missed something there

Lower mass means shorter ramp up time.
Thinner wire means higher resistance.
Kanthal has higher resistance then SS.
Try single core 26 or 28X2 SS, or switch to Kanthal.

ahh this makes total sense. TY!

and ty both for not teling me buying premade wire is not as good as making your own etc

Ok so basically to get a clapton in my d2 need different gauge wires then the wire i bought. or switch to kanthal. EASY ENOUGH and exactly what I thought. COol beans

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you use 2 26g nichrome 80 coils with 36-40 gauge kanthal you will get a faster ramp up time. If you want higher ohm's then I would used 28 gauge nichrome 80 with 36g kanthal. Before ss got popular most people were using nichrome 80 as the core because of the faster ramp up time.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I highly recommend using single core SS Clapton wire if you are running dual coil builds and want better battery life and faster ramp up. If you want super fast ramp up you can always try notch coils.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok so does single core vs dual core change the flavor?
Dual core (fused claptons) give better flavor then single core (regular claptons) ss is the best but you might have trouble getting it up to .2 ohm's that's why I suggested the nichrome 80

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fused Claptons actually have wicking properties by themselves regular claptons don't really have much that's why the fused claptons (dual core) give better flavor

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They both have excellent flavor. The flavor doesn't change but I would give a slight advantage to dual-core claptons. There isn't that much flavor difference between the two, especially on RTAs. Dual-core super low ohm clapton coils will have great flavor but you will need to run them at high watts and accept the slower ramp up time and shorter battery life. If you want kick ass flavor, moderate watts and a quicker ramp up, go with single-core claptons.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They both have excellent flavor. The flavor doesn't change but I would give a slight advantage to dual-core claptons. There isn't that much flavor difference between the two, especially on RTAs. Dual-core super low ohm clapton coils will have great flavor but you will need to run them at high watts and accept the slower ramp up time and shorter battery life. If you want kick ass flavor, moderate watts and a quicker ramp up, go with single-core claptons.
I would use fused Claptons any day over regular claptons

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would use fused Claptons any day over regular claptons
We're not talking about your needs. The OP isn't asking you what your favorite coils are. He wants coils with a faster ramp up and better battery life than his current 2x26/32g 316L fused Claptons. They aren't doing the trick. Normal single core 26/32g SS Clapton coils will heat up faster, have a higher resistance, and help preserve his battery life. The flavor will still be banging.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
We're not talking about your needs. The OP isn't asking you what your favorite coils are. He wants coils with a faster ramp up and better battery life than his current 2x26/32g 316L fused Claptons. They aren't doing the trick. Normal single core 26/32g SS Clapton coils will heat up faster, have a higher resistance, and help preserve his battery life. The flavor will still be banging.
Obviously you can't read. The op said battery life isn't what he was worried about he wanted a better ramp up time and good flavor. . That's why I suggested nichrome 80 wrapped with 36g kanthal which raymo also just confirmed.

Last edited:

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Obviously you can't read. The op said battery life isn't what he was worried about he wanted a better ramp up time and good flavor. . That's why I suggested nichrome 80 wrapped with 36g kanthal which raymo also just confirmed.
Here's a quote from the first post:
But I found i needed to up the wattages a lot. WHICH is fine. But I found i needed to up the wattages a lot. WHICH is fine. I have a 200w,165w and 75 devices. SO im running the coils around 100w and have 2 issues
1. battery life is shortened
2. ramp up time
Apparently I can read just fine. I know he said that he can "live with reduced battery life", but he still considers it an issue. I was trying to help get him going with the wire he already has.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's a quote from the first post:

Apparently I can read just fine. I know he said that he can "live with reduced battery life", but he still considers it an issue. I was trying to help get him going with the wire he already has.
He has premade wire so he's going to have to buy new wire. I recommended the nichrome because the nichrome 80 has a very fast ramp up time. I wasnt trying to throw my favorite wire out there it's not even my favorite wire I'd actually prefer 3 core fused claptons. Sorry I was just trying to state what I think works the best from my own experience. I like the fused claptons because of the wicking properties it provides which in my opinion gives a better flavor and with the nichrome it basically doesn't have a ramp up time.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok thanks everyone for the advice. I think i got the basic gist of it now. and know which directions to experiment. Ive already ordered some 28gax2 /30ga SS clapton wire form advanced vape supply, so that alone compared to the 26gax2/32ga SS wire I have should alone help with the resistance being higher. I also ordered some of their vertabraid wire to see how that performs, they claim it has phenomenal flavor plus fast ramp up times, but the resistance is low so probably not something I will be able to get to fire in a dual coil build on my d2. BUt should work fine on my koopor plu sor 3li.

I will also be getting some kanthal/n80 clapton wire from somewhere, probably lightningvapes since that too will allow better ramp up time and have higher resistance.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You should be looking at much higher gauges for the outer wrap...like 36g-40g, you can use N80 or Kanthal as the outer wrap on SS and still use TC, the outer wrap doesnt affect resistance enough to make enough of a difference for it to be meaured by our devices and the wire type does not matter either.
thats excellent to know TY

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok thanks everyone for the advice. I think i got the basic gist of it now. and know which directions to experiment. Ive already ordered some 28gax2 /30ga SS clapton wire form advanced vape supply, so that alone compared to the 26gax2/32ga SS wire I have should alone help with the resistance being higher. I also ordered some of their vertabraid wire to see how that performs, they claim it has phenomenal flavor plus fast ramp up times, but the resistance is low so probably not something I will be able to get to fire in a dual coil build on my d2. BUt should work fine on my koopor plu sor 3li.

I will also be getting some kanthal/n80 clapton wire from somewhere, probably lightningvapes since that too will allow better ramp up time and have higher resistance.
I made vertebraid once it did have good flavor but a super low resistance I think it came out to around .1 ohm and it was just 1 coil I don't remembereally what gauge wire I used though if I used a higher gauge it would have been higher resistance.I wanna say I used 26 gauge but I'm not positive

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have spools of both of those wires from Advanced Vape Supply. I'd be amazed to see an 8 wrap vertabraid coil. It's pretty wide. You definitely want to dry fire that wire and play around with it to work out the hot spots (occasionally it can be tricky). There's a pretty sweet payoff though. It's so gentle on your cotton. I've had to rewick vertebraid coils less than half as often as other coils. They say it works great in TC but my experience has been mixed. It runs hotter in any SS TCR setting than other SS wire. Just lower the temp and it's a great vape. Also, it can occasionally throw the mod into power mode. It's usually just a connection thing. The wires sometimes adjust themselves at the connection. If you re-tighten the screws after the first day and check them when you rewick it should stay solid. It's worth doing in power mode or TC.

The 2x28g/30g fused clapton wire heats up pretty quick and the flavor is excellent. It runs a little different from single core claptons in TC but stays solid.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I have spools of both of those wires from Advanced Vape Supply. I'd be amazed to see an 8 wrap vertabraid coil. It's pretty wide. You definitely want to dry fire that wire and play around with it to work out the hot spots (occasionally it can be tricky). There's a pretty sweet payoff though. It's so gentle on your cotton. I've had to rewick vertebraid coils less than half as often as other coils. They say it works great in TC but my experience has been mixed. It runs hotter in any SS TCR setting than other SS wire. Just lower the temp and it's a great vape. Also, it can occasionally throw the mod into power mode. It's usually just a connection thing. The wires sometimes adjust themselves at the connection. If you re-tighten the screws after the first day and check them when you rewick it should stay solid. It's worth doing in power mode or TC.

The 2x28g/30g fused clapton wire heats up pretty quick and the flavor is excellent. It runs a little different from single core claptons in TC but stays solid.
yeah i have no idea how wide the vertabraid s going ot be hence why I said "I HOPE" it should be here wednesdayish so I can tell then. but i am also looking at geting something I can run single coil like a merlin or griffin 25. so these low ohm coils wont be such an issue

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah i have no idea how wide the vertabraid s going ot be hence why I said "I HOPE" it should be here wednesdayish so I can tell then. but i am also looking at geting something I can run single coil like a merlin or griffin 25. so these low ohm coils wont be such an issue
The good thing about vertebraid is simply that it's made of so much wire, even a 5 wrap single coil has loads of wire surface contact. You get great flavor even at lower watts, and it's actually a little smoother feeling than most clapton builds. I ordered the 6x32 gauge to keep the ohms reasonable (but it's still lower than my Claptons). The ramp up time is very fast.

I just saw that Z Vaper posted a video on Advanced Vape Supply wire a day or two ago. Might be worth a look.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I'm an idiot I used 6 wires I forgot you loop the wires so really they are 2 each. They are actually very easy to make its like braiding hair you just take three wires make them into loops put one end in a vice and braid them it gets a little rough on your hands but they are really simple to make when I get back from vacation I'm gonna try making them again with a higher gauge I can't remember if I used 26 or 28 kanthal gauge last time I'll try a 32 gauge kanthal build and a 32 gauge ss when I get home

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fancy manufactured wires may not be worth it because they are using the cheapest ingredients they can summon, this is why people complain about coils not lasting from them..
There's some truth to that, but for people without the physical ability, tools, skill, time or desire to make these wires it's absolutely worth buying premade. They simply have better flavor than standard round wire. Even if they don't last as long as some home built wire, it's simple enough to rebuild a deck once a month. I love building my own wire but with 12 screws and 4 rods in my spine it's not often that I can. Premade may not be the best option but for some vapers it's the only option.

Just as some people can't successfully race a car, play guitar, hit a duck with a 12 gauge, build a coffee table, or fix a washing machine.. not everybody who tries to make their own fused claptons will end up with better wire than premade. It can be completely frustrating. Loads of people would rather relax with a vape than pull out their hair trying to make a fused clapton that works better than UD or AVS. For some people it isn't a difficult skill to master, but my best friend would rather go back to smoking than bother to rebuild anything (stock premade heads only for that guy). Premade fancy wire is a great thing. It doesn't need to offer the best vape in the world to be great.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's some truth to that, but for people without the physical ability, tools, skill, time or desire to make these wires it's absolutely worth buying premade. They simply have better flavor than standard round wire. Even if they don't last as long as some home built wire, it's simple enough to rebuild a deck once a month. I love building my own wire but with 12 screws and 4 rods in my spine it's not often that I can. Premade may not be the best option but for some vapers it's the only option.

Just as some people can't successfully race a car, play guitar, hit a duck with a 12 gauge, build a coffee table, or fix a washing machine.. not everybody who tries to make their own fused claptons will end up with better wire than premade. It can be completely frustrating. Loads of people would rather relax with a vape than pull out their hair trying to make a fused clapton that works better than UD or AVS. For some people it isn't a difficult skill to master, but my best friend would rather go back to smoking than bother to rebuild anything (stock premade heads only for that guy). Premade fancy wire is a great thing. It doesn't need to offer the best vape in the world to be great.
My dad's the same way he sees the advantage of using the complicated builds but can't be bothered with it he's fine with doing regular round wire builds. even if I make him some he will barely use them. But your right it's not for everyone. There's people on here who sell premade coils and I'm sure they are made with quality metal.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
but thats why I offer any coils of your choice* for $14/pair and $10 after the first pair with shipping included...I understand people dont have disposable incomes and depend on what they buy...

#ShamelessPlug
If I still can't get alien wire down after my next few tries I might have to buy some from you :) I still haven't tried a proper alien

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im rocking some Alien Framed Staples in my Alleria....best vape ever!! Most didnt think anything like that could fit in its chamber and work...

View attachment 50187 View attachment 50188 View attachment 50186 View attachment 50189
Damn those are nice I only tried a flat wire build once and I made the flat wire it was very hard to work with because I couldn't get them even and they were super brittle even after tempering them I should just buy some flat wire. Your coils are really a work of art raymo

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I dont buy ANYONE's premade coils because I feel they are all over priced. But if the market bares it, good for the entrepreneurs

I mean you can buy even sandvik kanthal for 3-4 cents an inch including shipping if you buy 100ft spools so a 8 wrap 3mm ID 26x2/36 fused clapton dual coil will take approximately 33 inches of wire which costs about $1.40 i just paid 5 cents an inch including shipping for fused clapton SS wire so thats about 50-60 cents per set of dual coils,depending on how much I waste making it. a premade coil would have to last 30-50 times longer then my premade wire for it to be worth it in my mind
now im not saying people selling premade coils are ripping people off. if the market bears it, then they are selling for a good price. But for me its not worth it

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dont buy ANYONE's premade coils because I feel they are all over priced. But if the market bares it, good for the entrepreneurs

I mean you can buy even sandvik kanthal for 3-4 cents an inch including shipping if you buy 100ft spools so a 8 wrap 3mm ID 26x2/36 fused clapton dual coil will take approximately 33 inches of wire which costs about $1.40 i just paid 5 cents an inch including shipping for fused clapton SS wire so thats about 50-60 cents per set of dual coils,depending on how much I waste making it. a premade coil would have to last 30-50 times longer then my premade wire for it to be worth it in my mind
now im not saying people selling premade coils are ripping people off. if the market bears it, then they are selling for a good price. But for me its not worth it
You're not paying them for the material cost your paying for the labor. I agree I wouldn't buy any kinds of claptons because I can make them easily myself. But when it comes to really complicated builds they are very hard to make especially making them well I've wasted probably atleast 30 dollars trying to make alien wire 250 ft rolls of high gauge kanthal aren't as cheap as lower gauges and a lot harder to find. Lighting vapes charges $20 a roll when they charge $10 for 26g. Yes if you look around d you can find them cheaper. Anyway your paying for the time it takes to actually make the things some coils can take over an hour to make Especially if you mess up even one part of it then you have to start all over again

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You're not paying them for the material cost your paying for the labor. I agree I wouldn't buy any kinds of claptons because I can make them easily myself. But when it comes to really complicated builds they are very hard to make especially making them well I've wasted probably atleast 30 dollars trying to make alien wire 250 ft rolls of high gauge kanthal aren't as cheap as lower gauges and a lot harder to find. Lighting vapes charges $20 a roll when they charge $10 for 26g. Yes if you look around d you can find them cheaper. Anyway your paying for the time it takes to actually make the things some coils can take over an hour to make Especially if you mess up even one part of it then you have to start all over again
i realize your paying for someones time. but ray charges 14 a pair for even basic fused claptons. crazy chef charges 15 with shipping. ive seen people charge 30 or more for a pair of fused claptons. and people pay it. so they are not over charging. but if i can pay 5 cents an inch from lightning vape for the premade wire and wrap the coils myself which is easy,,,thats what i will do and save tons of money

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
2x28k or n80 core makes for best cores imo allowing to make quick rampup and allowing nice amount of wraps to cover surface area and will only ohm out to .4-.5... one of my go to builds only time i use single core for clapton is when i use this quad twisted 32k as the outer coil which imo is just as good as fused claptons.

Ps those coils you can buy from raymo will last you a long freakin time.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i realize your paying for someones time. but ray charges 14 a pair for even basic fused claptons. crazy chef charges 15 with shipping. ive seen people charge 30 or more for a pair of fused claptons. and people pay it. so they are not over charging. but if i can pay 5 cents an inch from lightning vape for the premade wire and wrap the coils myself which is easy,,,thats what i will do and save tons of money
Yea for something simple like fused Claptons I wouldn't pay that price but I also see why someone would charge it its not worth their time to sell it for nothing. These Chinese companies just have machines that make them for them using poor quality metal (China is notorious for have very bad metal that's why all their knives are garbage) so that's why they can charge such low prices. Most of these guys here have real jobs and their time can be valuable its hard to find someone who makes these coils this well those aliens raymo just posted are beautifully done. I wouldn't buy coils from the chineese companies off principal I'd much rather support an American. I only buy their rda's and rta's because they make some of the best ones and they don't charge $100 and up for an atty but I get why people would. not everyone has money. Also no one is forcing anyone to buy their coils.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
like i said i dont think anyone is overcharging, i prefer premade wire because im lazy. im sure i could make a fused clapton easy enough. ive watched the vids, i have the drill, i got skills. ive never used different brands of wire to know that sandvik is better then what AVS sells or lasts longer, thats just what i have read a few times. i dont need coil porn. who knows? maybe rays and others coils taste so much different and last so much longer it could be justified in my mind to buy them. but TBH and this is coming form ignorance of different "quality" wires....i just dont see how. I applaud ray and chef and all the others who make money selling coils they make...I really do. there's a market for it. go and do it. but its not for me. but i wont even made geek vape premade coils, id rather buy their premade wire instead.

heres some nonfinacial reasons

i know ray will make sure the coil will fit my rta.so thats not an issue

what happens ifi break that rta? and it dont fit the other rtas i have or the one i replace it with?
what if i while rewicking or cleaning or even installation I fuck up the coils?
what if I change mods and the coil is too low ohm to fire?
what if i decide i need one more/less wrap to get the wattage/ohms where i like it for my taste
well with rays coils.or any premade coils i have to reorder and wait 2-4 days and spend $14 or more from other people
with premade wire. i just make new coils and am out $0.60ish cents and be back up in running in minutes

NOW
if ray pr chef made spools of premade wire, even if it were more expensive then lighting vapes or AVS, I would consider buying that if the price was right

for example: i havent found premade alien wire or staggered or anything other then twisted,single and dual col basic claptons, or braided.

So if ray or chef or whoever sold 30ft of alien wire even for $25-30 a spool. I would consider buying that to try out alien wire

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's very difficult to make a spool of complicated wire you for 1 would need someone else hold the drill and spin it and stop it exactly when you need them to it would be almost impossible china uses machines and I don't believe they even make real alien wire for sale (could be wrong) as far as metal China makes their own poorly like I said before the best example I can give is knives their knives are very poorly made because of the steel they make (this applies to their other metals as well) usually it's very soft.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i wont even made geek vape premade coils, id rather buy their premade wire instead.
Agreed. I also go for premade spools instead of premade coils. I don't mind using short lengths of wire, but that's just for sampling rather than getting wire that I plan on using again and again.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
China's "Alien Wire" is nothing more then a 3 pieces of Ribbon on its side and then claptoned....Real Alien wire it Wire from a decored clapton and then stretched perfectly then claptoned or various cores...Im glad someone understands...Thank you
They also sell fused claptons and call them aliens. China can care less about quality control and lying to the consumer it's all about quantity and $. And thank you for helping the vape community with your vast knowledge, providing awsome coils to people who can't make them themselves and posting your awsome coil porn and tutorials! Your a real asset to the vaping community!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok watched a vid on aliens.....yeah making a 25ft spool of that would require some serious room to stretch the decored clapton wire. but small lengths to coil yourself seems doable

and ray im using use as an example cuz your the cheapest i know...and no i didnt know you added all that stuff in.. but you came in and did a self admitted shameless plug. so i just went with it, cuz tbh you pissed me off the other day. i pmd you for advice cuz your one of the most vocal, most knowledgeable,usually most helpful and the first custom coil maker who came to mind, admittedly seconds before chefs name came to mind.and your advice basically came to BUY MY COILS. so i said fuck it did some research and came to a conclusion. then posted my thoughts here to make sure my conclusions were correct before proceeding, and you still come on first with good advice then to say BUY MY COILS to all.

I like you ray. you are extremely knowledgeable, friendly,helpful, and seem like a damn decent man from your posts - hence why i pm'd you for advice. but lately its not just you, but there seems to be more fights and buy my stuff or fanboy/girl posts on this forum then actual help. And it irritates me . when i first found this forum, i got metric shit tons of help. now i practically feel like i need to beg for help on stuff im working on or wade through metric shit tons of arguments, buy my stuff , or fanboy/girl posts to find decent information.

so i apologize if you feel i called you out or anything else negative to you. i truly wish you,chef and anyone else the best of luck with your entrepreneurial endeavor.

i just sometimes want help and dont ask for it often. i dont buy all the hype sometimes which is the case of this wire is superior to that wire. it may wll be, but not substantially enough for me to care
but you didnt know i was pissed and sick of having to weed through the fanboy/girl,buy my stuff, argument posts. and honestly the shameless plug followed up with anothe rposts showing off your coils did just that and pissed me off more so i went with it and maybe went overboard

im not the target market for premade coils as you said, but there is a market and i respect you and all the rest for serving that market, but there is market for what i want and would love to find someone like you who could fill that market for me.
I would also love to stop having to wade through all the buy my stuff,arguments, fanboy/girl posts on this forum and just find hep when i need it and have great convos. but maybe thats the price we have to pay for all the free advice and good people we have here

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i may have not explained well what i was looking for, but like i said i did some research and figured out that using smaller cores or thicker wrap would raise ohms or using kanthal would raise ohms versus the SS i have. which would allow me to build claptons that are above .2 in dual coil and fire in my d2 and not need over 75w power to get a good vape from it. Now admittedly i forgot to mention in the pm about the .2 limit of the d2. so im not completely blameless on the confusion. but i just wanted to know what kind of builds would be flavorful like the ss claptons i have in my griffin now, but be above .2 ohm preferably higher so it needed less wattage to run well and fit in a griffin 22 so i can run it on my d2. which was the whole point of this thread..making sure my research and conclusions were correct. and that has been accomplished and i even learned some more stuff especially from you that the wrap does not change things in tc. but i dont run tc much if ever. i have no luck running ss in tc, and actually like power mode again. so im good TY all for your help

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, it's for the D2 (no step down). I'd use kanthal single core 26 or 28 gauge claptons. I'm vaping on a 9 Hells RDA with a pair of kanthal 28/32g UD claptons right now. Looks like they're 7 wrap 2.5mm coils and it came out to 0.54Ω. It's an old build. Just busted out this atty to test some juice but the flavor is surprisingly nice. If you're looking for premade flavor wire to get you around .5Ω with dual coils I'd jump on the 28/36g kanthal clapton wire from Lightening Vapes. They also have 26/36g if you want to go a little lower resistance.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok so i got the vertabraid wire and the new griffins today. and yes i fit 8 wraps dual 30ga SS316 vertabraid coils in the griffin, but just barely at 3.0ID IT was a total PITA t work with this wire.

It came in at about .193 ohms and so far Ive only pushed it to 46w but very very flavorful and clean and working nicely. ill ramp it up in watts here in abit. but so far this is as flavorful as the fused clapton i have running at 80 watts. BUt to be fair I got one hell of a sore throat today, so my tastes may be off

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
just tried out the 28x2/32 316l clapton wire form AVS. Got 8 wraps each in coming out at .5 ish at 3.0 ID works great on my d2 at 55w
now i have a griffin with more then a simple micro coil on all 3 mods (d2,3li,koopor plus) so all seems good now.

VU Sponsors