Become a Patron!

Clapton Coil on 200w Reg Mod Slow Ramp up and Terrible Taste

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is probably a worn out topic... so i apologise in advance..

I just built a dual clapton coil on griffin atomiser.. using a koopor 200w reg mod box...

running 50w and 0.13 ohms..

Its takes forever to start producing vapour.. and once it does.. it has this metallic burning metal taste..

should i leave clapton coils for RBA's? People talk claptons up like nothing else..
but when i put a dual 26g kanthal wrap on ... it seems to run much more efficiently and better?
Or am i just doing it wrong??...

any advice or knowledge shared is appreciated..

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use claptons (premade wire) at 3.0mm in both my Griffins. I do run them at least 60 watts (they come in at around 0.4) and they're awesome! Did you try increasing the wattage?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, make sure you have enough cotton in the coils and ramp up the watts, I' say 70-100 watts. Ramp it up and see what happens.

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely going to try!! nothing to lose.. thank you so much for reply

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hahaha jim... doesn't sound like that is in Australia... but if it is... I'll be there!:D

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha, the classic revelation. People often praise claptons, but they never tell you why they work or how to use them. This unfortunately leaves a lot of people trying claptons for the first time underwhelmed because they didn't do the wire proper justice. It's always kind of a letdown for me when I see that someone has tried a clapton and been disappointed. The vape is really something else when you do it right. Many people never look back... ...and considering the time and patience required, that's really saying something about the vape.

But I digress. Just glad you gave em due diligence. Hope it's been an eye-opening experience for you. Just wait till you try a well-balanced fused clapton. It's some next-level shit if you're pursuing the whole flavor-vapor-texture trifecta. ;)

Claptons are, by nature, extremely anemic. The outer wire is virtually inactive. It likely carries at least some current of its own, but we're talking double-digit ohms here, so it's minute enough as to be completely insignificant. The resistance actually tends to go up a tad because the outer wire hurts conductivity in the posts. Not only do they need more power, but they also pull less power per square mm than their bare-wire brethren.

Basically, the core has to heat both itself and all of the extra mass added by the outer wraps on its own. And not only are they acting as heatsinks directly, but the self wicking action... ...that is, the way that they retain juice and hold it up against the core lends itself to more effective cooling. More of the outer surfaces are being met with juice than that of a bare coil with the same mass. Heat tends to make bare-wire coils scatter juice away from the flat, smooth outer-surface like a hot pan to a drop of water, which makes them able to heat up faster, whereas the general consensus with the clapton coil is that it kinda circulates across/around/through the coil instead.

That's their primary function for me. When dropped onto a high-powered series mechanical mod, clapton wire helps tame all of the heat that a steady 8v elicits by giving it more places to go in addition to seriously boosting the surface area and making the juice more able to keep the temperature in line. It's a win-win for flavor, vapor, and texture. You get a bigger, chewier, and more flavorful high-powered vape at more reasonable temperatures.

It's essentially a compromise of power-efficiency for better cooling-efficacy. If you want a really strong performer for high-voltage or high-wattage applications, claptons will never do you wrong. In some ways, they're really power-inefficient, but in others, they the most optimal way to get the most bang for your watts when you're getting closer to max power. They make very good use of power that would be wasted on standard coils.

I highly recommend you try making some with really thin outer wire when you can. Once you get down to 36g and thinner, the ramp-up really slides off and you can actually make claptons that don't require too much power while still reaping all of the unique performance benefits that multi-wire coils have to offer. They're more power-efficient and lose none of that self-wicking magic. You can tweak the temperature by adding or removing wraps from the coil itself as needed. It will still heat-up quickly if you up the wrap count. It just won't get as hot overall.

It also helps with heat retention, which can be an issue with larger claptons. There is a point where cranking the power higher doesn't suffice. If your coils have TOO much mass, then you may find that the power it takes to heat them up renders them too hot to vape after a few hits. The bigger they get, the more power it takes to heat them up in a reasonable span of time, and the longer it takes for them to cool down. You'll most often experience this when using 30g, 32g and sometimes even 34g as an outer.

My go-to gauges for the outer wire are 36 and 38 for that very reason. They're trickier to work with at first, but very much worth looking into, no matter what gauge your core is or what type of claptons you're making.

Another thing you may want to try is playing with nichrome. It will always take some ramp out, whether you use it for the core or the outer. Many people also find it much easier to work with than kanthal as an outer wire. Just be careful pulsing if you use it for that, as human-hair-thickness nichrome can be very delicate.

Last edited:

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Robot!! Mate... really in depth analysis of the clapton wire and your passion for it...
I don't use mechanical mods... as i worry about battery vent and other factors that make it more of a vaping chore than a pleasure..I respect and appreciate the devoted cloud chaser or trickster... but i myself enjoy the best flavour and big nicotine release... i still use it as stop smoking aid more than a novelty... not implying you use it as a novelty... but you sound DEDICATED my friend!!

I have only been using my clapton wires since my first post earlier... i actually have some pre made juggernaut coils I'm going to have a crack at tomorrow.. since i have upped the wattage i am getting a lot flavour and plume of vapour... but the 2 things i find is i have had 2 dry hits with full tank and also... it does most definitely retains heat... as it keeps crackling after i release the fire button. and i might add it also heats up my rta a great deal... like a laptop charger... really hot!

if i am to buy a mechanical mod... is this optimal for bigger gauge wires at higher wattage?? And what mech mod do you recommend??

I am going to follow you if you don't mind... as your knowledge and know how would really help me progress into the mech scene.

Thanks again for your 'above and beyond' reply... i really do appreciate it immensely .

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Robot!! Mate... really in depth analysis of the clapton wire and your passion for it...
I don't use mechanical mods... as i worry about battery vent and other factors that make it more of a vaping chore than a pleasure..I respect and appreciate the devoted cloud chaser or trickster... but i myself enjoy the best flavour and big nicotine release... i still use it as stop smoking aid more than a novelty... not implying you use it as a novelty... but you sound DEDICATED my friend!!
Cheers, man! I've been messing with this vape stuff for a long time, so my cloud-chasing days are over. At this point, I don't need the nicotine. I do this for a hobby. I just like continuing to analyze, research, and discover... ...to turn around and use that to successfully get that next-level vape. It's all about the satisfaction.

Writing is another thing I just kind of do for me - I have just always done it. When I'm not doing write-ups here, I'm scribbling in notebooks and musing in my mind. With both vaping and writing, there's always a lot going on in my head when I'm engaged in it, but it all kinda slips past my awareness and I only realize how much was pouring into it after the fact - I just lose time. There's no effort or conscious push to do it, so I wouldn't consider myself particularly dedicated. It's the opposite of work. And when it feels like work, I don't do it.

I'm just glad that I can take these two passions of mine and do a little more than spin my wheels... ...to make it all into something more worthwhile for not only myself, but hopefully others as well. I am grateful to have this platform for the two interests to converge upon in a positive way... ...as well as for people like you, who bother to read and take something from it. That's really cool to me. Thanks for taking the time! It means a lot to me.

I have only been using my clapton wires since my first post earlier... i actually have some pre made juggernaut coils I'm going to have a crack at tomorrow.. since i have upped the wattage i am getting a lot flavour and plume of vapour... but the 2 things i find is i have had 2 dry hits with full tank and also... it does most definitely retains heat... as it keeps crackling after i release the fire button. and i might add it also heats up my rta a great deal... like a laptop charger... really hot!
The dry hits have gotta be something with the wicking setup. Claptons are usually hard to get dry hits from. Could be not enough chamber space or airflow for the heat to travel. Sounds to me like it's a problem with juice flow to the build, not with the build itself.

The crackling, yeah... ...it can be a thing. Thicker outer wire will usually do this... ...the pockets are bigger and this leads to a lot of pressure building up in the juice when it heats and expands. The after-crackle is usually just from the coil being too big for its own good. It's staying hot enough to continue vaporizing and sucking-in juice even after you cut the power.

With that being said, it sounds to me like most of your problems are due to the heat-retention thing I was talking about. What are the gauges for your clapton wire? What RTA are you using? A temporary fix is to let off of the button before you stop pulling. My advice for the next one would be to try taking a wrap out and/or upping the diameter a tad. Taking a wrap out will bring down the mass. Upping the diameter reduces heating overall. If you can, try upping the core or the outer wire gauge. It's important to match your clapton gauges/size to your device. You have to accommodate your airflow, wicking capabilities, and chamber space. It can take a little trial and error, but it's always doable. A clapton doesn't need to be fat to perform the way a clapton is supposed to.

if i am to buy a mechanical mod... is this optimal for bigger gauge wires at higher wattage?? And what mech mod do you recommend??
Well, mechanical mods are a different creature. The power drops off across the span of single pulse, so your builds have to be more power efficient. Pulling the power from the battery carries different risks, benefits, and downsides. There's a bit of a learning curve to using them. Anybody can do it, but it can take some time. Once you know how, it's not a hassle at all to use mechs. In some ways, it's actually much easier. They're not necessarily better or worse for high-power vaping (in fact, it's arguable that they only shine as high-power devices,) just different.

They have sort of a unique "hit" profile to them that mech users cherish. I am one of those people. But I also wouldn't say they're for everybody. If you're thinking about going that route, then you need to ask yourself "Am I doing this because I want to use a mech or am I just looking for a better vape?" If the latter is the case, I wouldn't recommend them, as you have easier, more effective options. Regulated box mods will better serve your intentions.

With mechs, you want lean, balanced coils with just enough surface area. They need to be able to pull the perfect amount of power for their masses all on their own. Thick standard wires do work very well, but the coils themselves have to be kept fairly small. For instance, if I was gonna do a dual 24 for my SMPL tube mod, I would probably do 5 wraps @ 2-2.5mm. And that's gonna ohm-out to .18-.22. They're little coils that pull a good bit of power. Looking at them, you wouldn't expect much, but they actually perform very well.

Mechs pair best with RDA's, which handle high-power, standard, sub-ohm dual coils without any fuss. It's the classic high-power setup. You could say that it birthed the whole cloud-chasing phenomenon. Unfortunately, tanks tend to be finicky and frequently require power adjustments, making mechs a sub-optimal power source for them. Everything to do with mechs has to adhere to one basic principle: simplicity.

Though I'm an avid mech-user, I'm not a collector, so I don't really know what's hot in the mech world these days. I have two that I love and that's all I really need. Neither are considered beginner's mechs - they have hybrid toppers, which come with more risk of venting when placed in the hands of someone who doesn't understand the designs of both their atomizers and mods well enough.

Basically, they don't have a positive contact. It's just a 510-threaded hole on top. The 510 on the atty makes direct contact with the battery. If you put the wrong atty on there or use it the wrong way, hard shorts can and have occurred. The benefit here is that by eliminating current transfer points, the raw power is less inhibited. They hit harder.

The first is a SMPL 18650 tube mod. If you're willing to learn about hybrids and how to use them safely, then I would highly recommend it or something similar to it. If you want to go that route, then do your homework on hybrids and have at it! There is an abundance of info on hybrid mod safety out there.

My favorite mech (and really, mod in general) is the Noisy Cricket. It has a similar design to the SMPL, but it uses two batteries running in series. Series mods belong to a special subclass of unregulated devices. When people say "mech mod" they're usually not referring to one of these. They operate on somewhat different paradigms from conventional mech mods. Running one battery straight into the next doubles the voltage output, allowing you to run much larger coils and even fancy ones like your claptons, fused claptons, staples, and so on. There's much more going on than that, but that's the basic premise.

That one, I would absolutely not recommend as a first mech. Though very powerful and effective, it's for experienced builders who have a firm grasp on the physical mechanics behind coils, ohm's law, and for safety's sake, a fairly intimate knowledge of the how's and why's behind what their devices do. Let me tell you... ...if you do the footwork and get to the level where you can safely and effectively use an unregulated series mod, it's totally worth it. Series mods are bad-ass. There's nothing like it. It's not just about the vapor production. Something about the types of builds series power lends itself to just... ...the most dense, chewy, textured and flavorful vapes around. It doesn't even have to chuck if you don't care about or don't want clouds. My flavor quest ended with the Noisy Cricket.

I just want to stress again that you should get a second opinion on what mech to start with. I think some people would be mad if they found out I recommended you a hybrid for your first mech. I'm sure there are plenty of good non-hybrid mechs... ...I just don't know a thing about them because I think hybrids are superior and know how to use them safely, so I don't bother with anything else :p

I am going to follow you if you don't mind... as your knowledge and know how would really help me progress into the mech scene.
I'd be happy to help in any way that I can, but I would highly recommend you check out the unregulated section. There's a lot of genuine knowledge and experience hangin around in there... ...people who are well-prepared and willing to guide you and help you with any problems you might encounter.

I'd also like to encourage you to hop on over to the Post your builds thread. We talk a lot about different devices, coil theory, and building techniques. Builders, new and experienced alike, get to together there to share what they're up to, talk shop, and learn from one another.

Thanks again for your 'above and beyond' reply... i really do appreciate it immensely .
And again, no problem. Enthusiasm recognizes enthusiasm!

Last edited:

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cheers, man! I've been messing with this vape stuff for a long time, so my cloud-chasing days are over. At this point, I don't need the nicotine. I do this for a hobby. I just like continuing to analyze, research, and discover... ...to turn around and use that to successfully get that next-level vape. It's all about the satisfaction.

Writing is another thing I just kind of do for me - I have just always done it. When I'm not doing write-ups here, I'm scribbling in notebooks and musing in my mind. With both vaping and writing, there's always a lot going on in my head when I'm engaged in it, but it all kinda slips past my awareness and I only realize how much was pouring into it after the fact - I just lose time. There's no effort or conscious push to do it, so I wouldn't consider myself particularly dedicated. It's the opposite of work. And when it feels like work, I don't do it.

I'm just glad that I can take these two passions of mine and do a little more than spin my wheels... ...to make it all into something more worthwhile for not only myself, but hopefully others as well. I am grateful to have this platform for the two interests to converge upon in a positive way... ...as well as for people like you, who bother to read and take something from it. That's really cool to me. Thanks for taking the time! It means a lot to me.

The dry hits have gotta be something with the wicking setup. Claptons are usually hard to get dry hits from. Could be not enough chamber space or airflow for the heat to travel. Sounds to me like it's a problem with juice flow to the build, not with the build itself.

The crackling, yeah... ...it can be a thing. Thicker outer wire will usually do this... ...the pockets are bigger and this leads to a lot of pressure building up in the juice when it heats and expands. The after-crackle is usually just from the coil being too big for its own good. It's staying hot enough to continue vaporizing and sucking-in juice even after you cut the power.

With that being said, it sounds to me like most of your problems are due to the heat-retention thing I was talking about. What are the gauges for your clapton wire? What RTA are you using? A temporary fix is to let off of the button before you stop pulling. My advice for the next one would be to try taking a wrap out and/or upping the diameter a tad. Taking a wrap out will bring down the mass. Upping the diameter reduces heating overall. If you can, try upping the core or the outer wire gauge. It's important to match your clapton gauges/size to your device. You have to accommodate your airflow, wicking capabilities, and chamber space. It can take a little trial and error, but it's always doable. A clapton doesn't need to be fat to perform the way a clapton is supposed to.

Well, mechanical mods are a different creature. The power drops off across the span of single pulse, so your builds have to be more power efficient. Pulling the power from the battery carries different risks, benefits, and downsides. There's a bit of a learning curve to using them. Anybody can do it, but it can take some time. Once you know how, it's not a hassle at all to use mechs. In some ways, it's actually much easier. They're not necessarily better or worse for high-power vaping (in fact, it's arguable that they only shine as high-power devices,) just different.

They have sort of a unique "hit" profile to them that mech users cherish. I am one of those people. But I also wouldn't say they're for everybody. If you're thinking about going that route, then you need to ask yourself "Am I doing this because I want to use a mech or am I just looking for a better vape?" If the latter is the case, I wouldn't recommend them, as you have easier, more effective options. Regulated box mods will better serve your intentions.

With mechs, you want lean, balanced coils with just enough surface area. They need to be able to pull the perfect amount of power for their masses all on their own. Thick standard wires do work very well, but the coils themselves have to be kept fairly small. For instance, if I was gonna do a dual 24 for my SMPL tube mod, I would probably do 5 wraps @ 2-2.5mm. And that's gonna ohm-out to .18-.22. They're little coils that pull a good bit of power. Looking at them, you wouldn't expect much, but they actually perform very well.

Mechs pair best with RDA's, which handle high-power, standard, sub-ohm dual coils without any fuss. It's the classic high-power setup. You could say that it birthed the whole cloud-chasing phenomenon. Unfortunately, tanks tend to be finicky and frequently require power adjustments, making mechs a sub-optimal power source for them. Everything to do with mechs has to adhere to one simple principle: simplicity.

Though I'm an avid mech-user, I'm not a collector, so I don't really know what's hot in the mech world these days. I have two that I love and that's all I really need. Neither are considered beginner's mechs - they have hybrid toppers, which come with more risk of venting when placed in the hands of someone who doesn't understand the designs of both their atomizers and mods well enough.

Basically, they don't have a positive contact. It's just a 510-threaded hole on top. The 510 on the atty makes direct contact with the battery. If you put the wrong atty on there or use it the wrong way, hard shorts can and have occurred. The benefit here is that by eliminating current transfer points, the raw power is less inhibited. They hit harder.

The first is a SMPL 18650 tube mod. If you're willing to learn about hybrids and how to use them safely, then I would highly recommend it or something similar to it. If you want to go that route, then do your homework on hybrids and have at it! There is an abundance of info on hybrid mod safety out there.

My favorite mech (and really, mod in general) is the Noisy Cricket. It has a similar design to the SMPL, but it uses two batteries running in series. Series mods belong to a special subclass of unregulated devices. When people say "mech mod" they're usually not referring to one of these. They operate on somewhat different paradigms from conventional mech mods. Running one battery straight into the next doubles the voltage output, allowing you to run much larger coils and even fancy ones like your claptons, fused claptons, staples, and so on. There's much more going on than that, but that's the basic premise.

That one, I would absolutely not recommend as a first mech. Though very powerful and effective, it's for experienced builders who have a firm grasp on the physical mechanics behind coils, ohm's law, and for safety's sake, a fairly intimate knowledge of the how's and why's behind what they're devices do. Let me tell you... ...if you do the footwork and get to the level where you can safely and effectively use and unregulated series mod, it's totally worth it. Series mods are bad-ass. There's nothing like it. It's not just about the vapor production. Something about the types of builds series power lends itself to just... ...the most dense, chewy, textured and flavorful vapes around. It doesn't even have to chuck if you don't care about or don't want clouds. My flavor quest ended with the Noisy Cricket.

I just want to stress again that you should get a second opinion on what mech to start with. I think some people would be mad if they found out I recommended you a hybrid for your first mech. I'm sure there are plenty of good non-hybrid mechs... ...I just don't know a thing about them because I think hybrids are superior and know how to use them safely, so I don't bother with anything else :p

I'd be happy to help in any way that I can, but I would highly recommend you check out the unregulated section. There's a lot of genuine knowledge and experience hangin around in there... ...people who are well-prepared and willing to guide you and help you with any problems you might encounter.

I'd also like to encourage you to hop on over to the Post your builds thread. We talk a lot about different devices, coil theory, and building techniques. Builders, new and experienced alike, get to together there to share what they're up to, talk shop, and learn from one another.

And again, no problem. Enthusiasm recognizes enthusiasm!
Hey Bud... i am running Griifin RTA with pre made claptons at 90w and a kanger sub tank on an eleaf istick with 26g kanthal at 25w..
i am definitely going to get into mech mods... with your knowledge and know how... cant go wrong! once i find a descent device to take on... you will definitely be first port of call on the 'if or if not to' purchase...

i apologise if my replies are not lengthy in nature... i am an index finger heavy typist and it annoys the shit out of me how slow i am :( but i do love a good read.. so please feel free be as lengthy a possible! the more the merrier i say !

i will most definitely go on have have a look at the post your builds thread... check it out!

can i ask?

Do you make you're own e liquids?? hmmm? lol

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Bud... i am running Griifin RTA with pre made claptons at 90w and a kanger sub tank on an eleaf istick with 26g kanthal at 25w..
i am definitely going to get into mech mods... with your knowledge and know how... cant go wrong! once i find a descent device to take on... you will definitely be first port of call on the 'if or if not to' purchase...
Well alright then! I do know enough about mechs in general to point out the pros and cons. Feel free to message me or just catch me in a thread or whatever.

You shouldn't have too many problems with the griffin, that's as close to you get as an RDA with a tank. It's great for doing all sorts of crazy builds. It's easily one of the best tanks on the market right now. You set yourself up well with that decision. With the griffin in your collection, you might want to start thinking about getting a dripper as your next atty.

i apologise if my replies are not lengthy in nature... i am an index finger heavy typist and it annoys the shit out of me how slow i am :( but i do love a good read.. so please feel free be as lengthy a possible! the more the merrier i say !
Lol, will do. I don't expect people to match my wordiness. Verbosity is a quirk. Could you imagine a forum full of people who posted like I do?

FWIW, I'm a terrible typist. I have that same habit of mostly using my index finger. :p
i will most definitely go on have have a look at the post your builds thread... check it out!
You really should. I've seen countless people drastically up their coil games in a short amount of time just by participating in it. It's a great place to draw information and inspiration from. A lot of welcoming, passionate and very knowledgeable people frequent that jawn.

can i ask?

Do you make you're own e liquids?? hmmm? lol
Surprisingly enough, nope. If and when I do, my life will be over.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Surprisingly enough, nope. If and when I do, my life will be over.

I don't often disagree with you about too much, and I think that VU are fortunate to have you here. But don't expect to escape DIY forever.... lol

I suspect that you know full well you will find it every bit as absorbing as every other aspect of vaping.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha, the classic revelation. People often praise claptons, but they never tell you why they work or how to use them. This unfortunately leaves a lot of people trying claptons for the first time underwhelmed because they didn't do the wire proper justice. It's always kind of a letdown for me when I see that someone has tried a clapton and been disappointed. The vape is really something else when you do it right. Many people never look back... ...and considering the time and patience required, that's really saying something about the vape.

But I digress. Just glad you gave em due diligence. Hope it's been an eye-opening experience for you. Just wait till you try a well-balanced fused clapton. It's some next-level shit if you're pursuing the whole flavor-vapor-texture trifecta. ;)

Claptons are, by nature, extremely anemic. The outer wire is virtually inactive. It likely carries at least some current of its own, but we're talking double-digit ohms here, so it's minute enough as to be completely insignificant. The resistance actually tends to go up a tad because the outer wire hurts conductivity in the posts. Not only do they need more power, but they also pull less power per square mm than their bare-wire brethren.

Basically, the core has to heat both itself and all of the extra mass added by the outer wraps on its own. And not only are they acting as heatsinks directly, but the self wicking action... ...that is, the way that they retain juice and hold it up against the core lends itself to more effective cooling. More of the outer surfaces are being met with juice than that of a bare coil with the same mass. Heat tends to make bare-wire coils scatter juice away from the flat, smooth outer-surface like a hot pan to a drop of water, which makes them able to heat up faster, whereas the general consensus with the clapton coil is that it kinda circulates across/around/through the coil instead.

That's their primary function for me. When dropped onto a high-powered series mechanical mod, clapton wire helps tame all of the heat that a steady 8v elicits by giving it more places to go in addition to seriously boosting the surface area and making the juice more able to keep the temperature in line. It's a win-win for flavor, vapor, and texture. You get a bigger, chewier, and more flavorful high-powered vape at more reasonable temperatures.

It's essentially a compromise of power-efficiency for better cooling-efficacy. If you want a really strong performer for high-voltage or high-wattage applications, claptons will never do you wrong. In some ways, they're really power-inefficient, but in others, they the most optimal way to get the most bang for your watts when you're getting closer to max power. They make very good use of power that would be wasted on standard coils.

I highly recommend you try making some with really thin outer wire when you can. Once you get down to 36g and thinner, the ramp-up really slides off and you can actually make claptons that don't require too much power while still reaping all of the unique performance benefits that multi-wire coils have to offer. They're more power-efficient and lose none of that self-wicking magic. You can tweak the temperature by adding or removing wraps from the coil itself as needed. It will still heat-up quickly if you up the wrap count. It just won't get as hot overall.

It also helps with heat retention, which can be an issue with larger claptons. There is a point where cranking the power higher doesn't suffice. If your coils have TOO much mass, then you may find that the power it takes to heat them up renders them too hot to vape after a few hits. The bigger they get, the more power it takes to heat them up in a reasonable span of time, and the longer it takes for them to cool down. You'll most often experience this when using 30g, 32g and sometimes even 34g as an outer.

My go-to gauges for the outer wire are 36 and 38 for that very reason. They're trickier to work with at first, but very much worth looking into, no matter what gauge your core is or what type of claptons you're making.

Another thing you may want to try is playing with nichrome. It will always take some ramp out, whether you use it for the core or the outer. Many people also find it much easier to work with than kanthal as an outer wire. Just be careful pulsing if you use it for that, as human-hair-thickness nichrome can be very delicate.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this, extremely helpful and needed information that seems to be missing from everywhere else, i know because i looked and looked for this kind of information a lot and could never find such a thorough explanation of claptons mechanism of action, gauge recommendations and why, electrical properties ... etc ..

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't often disagree with you about too much, and I think that VU are fortunate to have you here. But don't expect to escape DIY forever.... lol

I suspect that you know full well you will find it every bit as absorbing as every other aspect of vaping.
Listen. I know. I know. Believe me, I do.

It's just... ...I have some things I need to finish in my life before I devote the remainder of my existence to DIY. I need to finish my compound and eliminate the need for societal support first.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this, extremely helpful and needed information that seems to be missing from everywhere else, i know because i looked and looked for this kind of information a lot and could never find such a thorough explanation of claptons mechanism of action, gauge recommendations and why, electrical properties ... etc ..
Hey, no problem. I geek out on that stuff. Hope it helps you in your endeavors. There are all sorts of factors involved that I didn't touch on and many approaches to making badass claptons. All I'm really doing here is describing the how's and why's behind the vapes I like the most. You will have to do some tinkering of your own to nail it down for yourself. It's a journey I'm still on, myself.

Last edited:

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What are your claptons made of? Honestly they shouldn't take much longer than regular wire. I use kanthal cored and nichrome wrapped claptons in my Griffin. And if your mod is the koopor plus, it has a power boost feature that also helps.

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What are your claptons made of? Honestly they shouldn't take much longer than regular wire. I use kanthal cored and nichrome wrapped claptons in my Griffin. And if your mod is the koopor plus, it has a power boost feature that also helps.
They were pre wrapped clap tons without any gauge number :( Power boost?? any idea how to activate this feature ??

VU Sponsors