Become a Patron!

Cigarette smoking is less complicated

But it kills you quick. So I"m looking into vaping, which has been extremely complicated. I don't like to spend money on mistakes, hence I'm here.

I've been on and off with cigrettes for a while. I know I want to make the transition to Vaping. I just have no idea what will work for me ultimately.

A couple things after watching numerous vids.

1) I still have no idea what type of device to use. From what I grasp, I want something that gives a decent hit (doesn't have to be crazy), that lasts a while, and that fits in my cargo pants pocket. So I don't want anything huge, but something that can last up to 24 hours if needed prior to recharging. I work in EMS. I don't want a disposable item. I'm trying to keep costs down a bit.

2) what and where to get the liquid. I guess there is a base of glycerin but then added flavors are purchased. As a cigarette smoker, I would like to get the nicotine variety.

Anyways any assistance is appreciated. I'd like to get started, but don't know where to start. Went into a vape shop but to be honest the guy was talking over me. It was clear he was just trying to sell a lot of stuff. So I said thanks and left. Maybe my best bet is to try another shop where I can try some product.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For 24 hrs use, you're either going to need to carry extra batteries with you, or vape as weirdly as I do, at EXTREMELY low wattage -- I vape at <10w, in this era of mods that go to 200w and up. :facepalm: I can get nearly 3 days' use out of my Samsung 30Q batteries, and since I also vape with weird coils -- nearly 2 ohms instead of the insanely low sub-ohm coils most folks use nowadays -- I don't worry that those 30Q's are only 15 Amp batteries, instead of the 20A's or more that the low-resistance coils require.

Keep in mind, I've been vaping since 2014, I use an atomizer I acquired in 2015 but which is actually technology from 2013-2014 with a very tight draw, which enables me to vape at very low wattage and high resistance yet still get tons of flavor -- they don't make those attys anymore, goddamit. They make all this sub-ohm shit so the juice makers can sell oceans of the stuff for high profit, because the higher wattage and lower resistance, the more ejuice you're going to go thru -- and ejuice has about a 1000% markup, which is why so many of us make our own.

Good luck in your search, and welcome to a whole new world! Welcome to VU too. :)

Andria

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You could always keep an external battery to offload onto your mod. Also, if you’re in ems, can you use the cigarette lighter to charge it?

I carry this when I’m going to be gone all day
Power Banks 16750 RAVPower 16750mAh Phone Battery Charger Portable Chargers External Battery Pack 4.5A Dual USB Output Power Pack for iPhone X, iPhone 8, Galaxy S9, iPad, Android Devices (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQSMEEE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rczhBb9BZAV45

Typically I carry that and a small dna 250 from vaporshark. It fits in the palm of my hand very nicely. However, it has built in LiPo, so changing the battery’s is possible but cumbersome.
Plenty of dual 18650 boxes out there that or small.
If I were just starting now, I would look into the modefined Siris. They are affordable, from a good company and have plenty to offer.
https://www.elementvape.com/modefined-sirius-200w-tc-box-mod

Keep in mind, you’ll want 2 sets of 2, 18650 batteries. (Samsung 25r)
A 4 bay charger. (I use the xstar, but plenty of others out there)
For a tank, I can’t even begin to
Make a suggestion as I haven’t kept up with those at all.

Also there is some information here for newer vapors.. it’s a long read but may be worth a quick check
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/quick-start-vapor-guide-for-a-new-vapor.204757/

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
But it kills you quick. So I"m looking into vaping, which has been extremely complicated. I don't like to spend money on mistakes, hence I'm here.

I've been on and off with cigrettes for a while. I know I want to make the transition to Vaping. I just have no idea what will work for me ultimately.

A couple things after watching numerous vids.

1) I still have no idea what type of device to use. From what I grasp, I want something that gives a decent hit (doesn't have to be crazy), that lasts a while, and that fits in my cargo pants pocket. So I don't want anything huge, but something that can last up to 24 hours if needed prior to recharging. I work in EMS. I don't want a disposable item. I'm trying to keep costs down a bit.

2) what and where to get the liquid. I guess there is a base of glycerin but then added flavors are purchased. As a cigarette smoker, I would like to get the nicotine variety.

Anyways any assistance is appreciated. I'd like to get started, but don't know where to start. Went into a vape shop but to be honest the guy was talking over me. It was clear he was just trying to sell a lot of stuff. So I said thanks and left. Maybe my best bet is to try another shop where I can try some product.
Welcome to the Underground:cheers:
And don't worry about that store clerk. He didn't know what he was doing anyways and would have gave you poor advice. I can say that, not only because most do, but because of the way he treated you, a perspective customer. Salesmen are more about sales than anything, they'll sell you what the shop owner stocks, instead of what the world has to offer like you can find here. So good choice :)

Do you know if you want DTL or MTL?
https://www.vapestore.co.uk/blog/vaping-guides/mouth-to-lung-vs-direct-to-lung-dl-vaping/

I'll venture to say that most new vapers wanting to quit cigs try MTL first since it's draw resembles a cig. Some go straight to DTL.
We'll need to know that.

A 2 battery mod would be a good choice, many many to choose from in diff sizes, shapes, etc. I run 35-45 watts on dual and 1 charge lasts all day then some. But 24 hrs? Depends on how much power you need for the atomizer. Having 2 charged spare batteries stowed away in your gear is easy enough I would think.

When I smoked Marlboro Lights, I started with 18mg nic for juice and it was too much so went to 15mg. Everyones different and you can get a sample pack of diff flavors and nic levels. I buy all my juice online, there's places with really good juice without breaking the bank. Better than shops.

Edit: That Sirius mod is great. Like said, good company, well built and tough.
For out in the weather, Aegis Legend would be a good pic too.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they don't make those attys anymore, goddami
Well, there are a few RTA and such today for MTL - @Vaping With Vic and a couple others are strict on what they consider "Mouth to Lung". That Siren v2 clone I got was pretty close; the old RBA carto/ceramic Sophia-like widget I got is DEFINITELY MTL - and 510 airflow, no less. Even an "Oddy clone" (Nautilus/Terminator-C/GG-clone) is pretty near MTL, (again, 510-air),

I find it similarly tough to find a single-coil tank with any airflow and flavor - can't keep buyin&tryin' at $30 and $40 a pop.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, there are a few RTA and such today for MTL - @Vaping With Vic and a couple others are strict on what they consider "Mouth to Lung". That Siren v2 clone I got was pretty close; the old RBA carto/ceramic Sophia-like widget I got is DEFINITELY MTL - and 510 airflow, no less. Even an "Oddy clone" (Nautilus/Terminator-C/GG-clone) is pretty near MTL, (again, 510-air),

I find it similarly tough to find a single-coil tank with any airflow and flavor - can't keep buyin&tryin' at $30 and $40 a pop.

The only one of the new ones I've tried is the original Berserker, but it had 2 problems: 1) it leaked like a sieve, and 2) no flavor. I used to use Kayfuns, and I liked them a lot at the time, but I vape a gunk monster ejuice that smells like Hell's garbage dump on fire when you vape the gunked, browned ejuice, the backwash off the coil, so I had to move to an RDA instead, holds a lot less ergo less backwash -- tried the Magma, it wasn't too bad, but leaky lil bastard; someone put me on to the Achilles, and I LOVED it immediately, and now, nothing else will do -- the Achilles has the MOST flavor and the TIGHTEST draw, period. So naturally nobody makes it anymore, it's too conservative on juice usage, and they can't be having THAT. I even went so far as to buy an authentic Achilles II for $98 goddamn bucks, and it SUCKS -- he tried to make it suit folks who don't like "gnat's asshole" tight dra2w, and thereby ruined it. Also it leaks, which the original Achilles, even the clones like I have, NEVER do.

When I say tight draw, I mean TIGHT draw -- like a cigarette, a really tight one like the Virginia Slims I smoked for 30+ yrs. Or a carto. I liked the draw on those a lot, but they're not much for flavor, sadly. Also I require bottom airflow, and no leaking... and that critter does not exist, other than my 2 original Achilles. :facepalm:

Andria

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I say tight draw, I mean TIGHT draw -- like a cigarette
Hmm, I'd definitely look at the Sophia-type rba's and carto-tanks.. I know what you mean about re-lreases, and I really don't want an MTL ever again.. I get RRTL often enough that I get tired of even trying new tanks.

I too loved my kayfuns, but I sold off the R91 and the Monster V3 shorty I have is almost an improvement, but of course you can't get parts - at least it only cost $5. Bottom airflow? You mean from the 510? Because most atty still use "bottom" and the other trendy thing is the side/rda-style airflow.

Sounds to me like it might be worth the effort to contact @Vaping With Vic - just to see if he can suggest something he's come across, (and of course discussing MTL with him since he still wants to design an MTL device - RTA, I think).

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Simple and a mod that lasts all day on a charge. That's my wheelhouse. LOL. I'd recomend going old school.

I've gone back to the Innokin MVP 20W. It's tough so I don't worry about hurting it, has a long charge and is not very expensive. Internal batteries and usb charging so there is no messing with it except for plugging it in.

Paired with the Nautilus or Nautilus Mini( I prefer the Mini and a cheap clone is fine) running at 9-12 watts it lasts all day on a charge. I've had good luck with cheap clone coils.

Higher mg nicotine juice in the 12+ mg range gives decent throat hit and enough nic to be satisfying.

It doesn't get any easier than than that.

Buy two of each, mod and tank. And plenty of coils. Shit happens and backups are needed so it's not easier to buy cigs than grab your backup.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
When I used Nautilus w/18650 3000mah I had to have another battery to make it through the day. 12-14 work hr day.
Most continue to DTL which is another reason I like the 2 battery mod route. NIce to put 2 fresh batteries in in the am and know your set for the day.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, I'd definitely look at the Sophia-type rba's and carto-tanks.. I know what you mean about re-lreases, and I really don't want an MTL ever again.. I get RRTL often enough that I get tired of even trying new tanks.

I too loved my kayfuns, but I sold off the R91 and the Monster V3 shorty I have is almost an improvement, but of course you can't get parts - at least it only cost $5. Bottom airflow? You mean from the 510? Because most atty still use "bottom" and the other trendy thing is the side/rda-style airflow.

Sounds to me like it might be worth the effort to contact @Vaping With Vic - just to see if he can suggest something he's come across, (and of course discussing MTL with him since he still wants to design an MTL device - RTA, I think).

That's really the thing; nobody much wants MtL anymore, and it's been a good while now since it was really the only way to vape, so most have forgotten what it even means -- I want RESISTANCE in the draw, and I don't mean in the electrical sense, but in the mechanical sense.

This is what I mean about bottom airflow:

achillesairhole.jpg 01-mysimplecoil.jpg

Just like a kayfun, the airflow is DIRECTLY beneath the coil, so air is not flying around uselessly everywhere but at the juiced wick. Side airflow is shit for flavor., just for that reason -- for the best flavor, the air needs to go DIRECTLY at and around the coil and wick, and NOWHERE else.

Andria

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Simple and a mod that lasts all day on a charge. That's my wheelhouse. LOL. I'd recomend going old school.

I've gone back to the Innokin MVP 20W. It's tough so I don't worry about hurting it, has a long charge and is not very expensive. Internal batteries and usb charging so there is no messing with it except for plugging it in.

Paired with the Nautilus or Nautilus Mini( I prefer the Mini and a cheap clone is fine) running at 9-12 watts it lasts all day on a charge. I've had good luck with cheap clone coils.

Higher mg nicotine juice in the 12+ mg range gives decent throat hit and enough nic to be satisfying.

It doesn't get any easier than than that.

Buy two of each, mod and tank. And plenty of coils. Shit happens and backups are needed so it's not easier to buy cigs than grab your backup.

This is a setup my wife still likes to use. She says it feels like a cigarette. The mods are bulletproof.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU by the way. Hope you kick those death sticks and enjoy your vaping experience.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I vape at pretty high wattages. Some people might vape higher but i don't think its all day. My RDTA vape at 80-90w and my RDA 115w. I only got 2 sets of batteries and by the time I get home from work both sets are almost dead. I need to get more batteries.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the airflow is DIRECTLY beneath the coil
Yeah, kayfun-style air.. Everyone claims the new Kayfun Prime clones do exactly that. (I can live w/o THAT sort of "tight" for the rest of my life).

Here's the original of the one I have a clone of - well mine is prolly the Killer/V1-clone, but ok - same-idea. Here's a video on the V2 as well: Qorax Stan is another person that downright loved MTL atomizers, so he may be another source of "wtf" to hear or search thru.

Other MTL/carto RBA's are: The Diver and the Killer 705. Notice that the Sophia V2 here, http://www.byleo.eu/bl/el/σοφια-rta/177-σοφια-v2.html looks like it's about to be discontinued? Otoh, it appears V1 http://www.byleo.eu/bl/el/home/122--atomizer.html is still available? (I'm hoping auto-translate worked as I reviewed them)

Anyway, those are all I have for now.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't be spending that kind of money on vape stuff, just don't have it -- the one real expensive one I bought, turned out to suck, so y'know, once burned... etc. I did spend about $140 total on various kayfuns; 2 tobeco clone KFL+ that were $35ish each, and one authentic KFL+ that i snagged here in the classies for about $70ish, hell of a deal. I guess if I ever get desperate enough, I can make myself get used to kayfuns again... But hopefully my 2 good Achilles will have long, looooooooong lives. :)

I'll have to check the videos tomorrow, when I have the house to myself instead of with 2 adults (?) and 2 cats sleeping. :D They're used to my fingernails banging away on the keyboard at all hours, but when there are suddenly voices, they come out in the hall and give me dirty looks. :D

Andria

VU Sponsors