Become a Patron!

China squonker with high-end internals.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, as the title states this is what I'm going to do to a cheap $10 Octopus clone squonker.

I picked up 2 of them as I wanted to change the color coordination a bit.

I ordered a white body and a black body model so I can switch doors and buttons around to my liking...black body with white button and door and white body with black button and door.

Now with the model chosen it was time to decide what was going inside this cheap china clone...I was pointed in the direction of broscience.com and was very happy at what I found being that I can buy directly from the U.S. and not have to order overseas considering modmaker as my choice for parts I wanted to use.

One other place I was directed to was ETSY for an important piece to the build which will be .999 pure silver strips to use as battery contacts.

Here's the list of what's going into one of the octopus clones.

1.) Modmaker squonk 510
2.) Modmaker silver plated 510 upgrade.
3.) .999 pure silver strips
4.) Modmaker standard squonk bottle

My hopes are everything goes as planned with the build and this cheap china box clone of a high end classic will perform great for me.

I'll post up pics of the build as I start receiving things in the mail.

Last edited:

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Received my broscience mail today as well as the 26g .999 pure silver strips.

I went back and looked at the clone octopus squonkers and they look like full 22mm 510's so since the MM510 is only 18mm I also added a stainless and brass 510 washer/adapter to see how it will all fit to the clone box.

Pics of mail coming in a bit.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Broscience order. (One silvered out kit plus standard mm bottle for my Orca was included in the order)
x2 mm510 silvered out kits.
x1 MM 510 assembly.
x1 stainless steel 510 washer
x1 brass 510 washer
IMG_20180511_191719.jpg

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the pure silver 26g strips I got from ETSY...now just a waiting game for the mods so I can get started on it.
IMG_20180513_095348.jpg

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok...my order is in...the pic showed a white door and button but supposedly door is aluminum...well, it is but it's silver in color not white and neither is the button...the button is some marble orangish redish color...sigh.

The black one came correct being all black with door being aluminum material.

Having difficulties uploading pics..I'll keep trying till they load.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Supposed to be white aluminum door and white plastic button...the pic not doing the door justice though..it's a nice bright silverish finish.
IMG_20180522_182120.jpg

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The silver door looks good on the black mod but not what I was after...time to order a white door....I like the black door on white body though.
IMG_20180522_182233.jpg

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok enough of the subjective opinions...I'll get started on the make over soon and make it a picture happy process...till then I'm hungry and oh you tee out.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I decided to try another route although I may still go with the silver and mm510 for one of these octopus clones.

I had another cheap china squonker laying around (S Rabbit clone) I recently purchased for the collection that actually worked quite well....lt has full copper contacts and a decent manual adjustment 510..So, i grabbed the octopus clone and decided to see if I could swap everything over to it....made a few measurements and the modding began.

I'll cut this down to a shorter version as today will be a busy day...

Other than needing to ream slightly the 510 hole on the octopus, everything was a simple swap over...the 510 contact tab slot needs to be made slightly longer as you end up with very little throw before contact is made..maybe 2mm so, I'll be moving it back for a better throw and feel.....I managed to fit a silicone bottle in there as well...I'll have get measurements on the bottle..not sure what it is.

Used my other (black body) octopus clone as a before photo of the internals....horrible performing clone...contacts are stainless steel and 510 is utter garbage...barely fired a single coil rda...Don't buy this mod if you plan to use it like it comes..huge dissapointment.
IMG_20180527_134255.jpg

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
S rabbit 510 installed...it is a slightly smaller 510 so there is a small gap on the 510 outside diameter of the box...when you put a 22mm atty on it you can't see it.
IMG_20180527_133456.jpg

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clone gets a ModMaker 510 but keeps the s rabbit contacts for now (slightly modified)....The 510 hole needed further enlarging to get the 510 to fit as did the upper s rabbit contact but it went rather smooth using a stepped drill bit...added a brass outter ring to the 510 ...Mod maker 510 silver upgrade and 24g .999 silver contacts coming next.

It's honestly performing rather good like it is...as good as any copper contact MM510 combo out there (insert expensive box name here)

I have to add that the body appears/feels like what Floris Orcas uses..it's a semi polished smooth finish with a hard feel to it... maybe not as polished or as quality controlled during manufacturing but I think I can clean it up and polish this box a little to make it look really nice...has some slight waves/blemishes in it but it's one of the nicer boxes I've seen with the cheaper clones.

Last edited:

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oooops...the pics...s rabbit clone copper contacts..MM copper 510 assembly with brass 22mm outter ring.
IMG_20180615_204314.jpg
IMG_20180615_204002.jpg

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Is there such a thing as a cheap China squonk enclosure for a dna75c ?
Yes. Google it. Not cheap but not a total pocket killer.

I think my next project will be a DNA 75 squonk. Got the board, just need to get an enclosure.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

mithril

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes. Google it. Not cheap but not a total pocket killer.

I think my next project will be a DNA 75 squonk. Got the board, just need to get an enclosure.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Well, I did google it but couldn’t find anything.
I found something in Europe for ~60€, box only, and that’s not exactly cheap.
If you know where I can buy a cheaper enclosure I would appreciate a link.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I did google it but couldn’t find anything.
I found something in Europe for ~60€, box only, and that’s not exactly cheap.
If you know where I can buy a cheaper enclosure I would appreciate a link.
I know awhile back fasttech sold clone mods that used a clone dna 30 watt chip but I can't say I've researched anything enough to see if a dna75 off spring has been done.

I'll see if I can find you some enclosures for dna chips.

VU Sponsors