Become a Patron!

Chest Pains like having a heart attck! =(

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello Everyone,

I just signed up today and wanted to see if I can get some feedback. I have been vaping for about 5 years. I started off 18mg of nicotine for couple months, then 12mg, then 6mg and now I have been vaping on 3mg Nicotine since 2015. So for the last year and half I have been getting pain where my heart is when i vape a lot. I have been to the cardiologist and have 2 heart scans done. I also have had EKG and stress test but everything came back clean. I also run 4 days a week for an hour each time. So for the last two weeks every time I vape I am getting pain in my left side of my chest and also now in the middle.

I am sure the nicotine is restricting something in my heart. Has anyone experienced this? I am going to stop vaping till it completely goes away. It sucks I can't vape and i am really scared i might have heart failure or something...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Vic

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, good to hear you got checked out. That's the only reason I would even hazard a guess that it might be something else.

Heartburn?

If you are swallowing your vape that can irritate you into a bad case of heartburn. Something that feels like you swallowed a golf ball and it's stuck at the base of your breast bone. To rule in/out try an antacid with simethicone in it. I think that would be Mylanta.

This happened to me once when I was smoking (chain smoking) and the pain was so bad I went to the emergency room. They checked the obvious things and after I described the pain and where it was located to one MD... yup - heartburn.

If this is your issue you may need to check your vaping technique. What are you doing - MTL or LH?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If "everything came back clean," does that mean they've also ruled out Angina Pectoris? I've heard the pain is pretty bad, but it's a fairly manageable condition. Or, have they checked you for GERD? (reflux) If stomach acids reflux into the esophagus, I'm sure that's terribly painful, and would get worse over time.

But if all possible physical causes have been ruled out and you're still worried... I'd look to a panic disorder, which can also cause chest pain -- you're worrying yourself into hurting. Which sounds silly, but speaking as an emetophobe, I can easily worry myself into sweating nausea.

Andria

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, good to hear you got checked out. That's the only reason I would even hazard a guess that it might be something else.

Heartburn?

If you are swallowing your vape that can irritate you into a bad case of heartburn. Something that feels like you swallowed a golf ball and it's stuck at the base of your breast bone. To rule in/out try an antacid with simethicone in it. I think that would be Mylanta.

This happened to me once when I was smoking (chain smoking) and the pain was so bad I went to the emergency room. They checked the obvious things and after I described the pain and where it was located to one MD... yup - heartburn.

If this is your issue you may need to check your vaping technique. What are you doing - MTL or LH?
By swallowing my vape, do you mean chain vaping?

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If "everything came back clean," does that mean they've also ruled out Angina Pectoris? I've heard the pain is pretty bad, but it's a fairly manageable condition. Or, have they checked you for GERD? (reflux) If stomach acids reflux into the esophagus, I'm sure that's terribly painful, and would get worse over time.

But if all possible physical causes have been ruled out and you're still worried... I'd look to a panic disorder, which can also cause chest pain -- you're worrying yourself into hurting. Which sounds silly, but speaking as an emetophobe, I can easily worry myself into sweating nausea.

Andria
They have not ruled out Angina Pectoris. How would they detect that?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Do you vape high PG or high VG, either one? I got like that when I was vaping too high of VG for me. Was kind of scary.

Glad you got checked out, maybe a 2nd opinion if you're still that concerned??

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello Everyone,

I just signed up today and wanted to see if I can get some feedback. I have been vaping for about 5 years. I started off 18mg of nicotine for couple months, then 12mg, then 6mg and now I have been vaping on 3mg Nicotine since 2015. So for the last year and half I have been getting pain where my heart is when i vape a lot. I have been to the cardiologist and have 2 heart scans done. I also have had EKG and stress test but everything came back clean. I also run 4 days a week for an hour each time. So for the last two weeks every time I vape I am getting pain in my left side of my chest and also now in the middle.

I am sure the nicotine is restricting something in my heart. Has anyone experienced this? I am going to stop vaping till it completely goes away. It sucks I can't vape and i am really scared i might have heart failure or something...

Vic
Try some 0-nic juice

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try vaping ZERO NICOTINE
see what happens..

And FYI
BLOOD TEST IS THE MAJOR INDICATOR OF A PENDING HEART ATTACK!

Stress test is use to identify abnormalities in ur heart.. it's mainly use for people who already had HA.. to see what activity level they can safely do...
Ekg goes hand in hand with stress test

Heart scan is like heart X-ray... it pretty much gives the doctor image of blood vessels to see if you have build up or potential clog...
Again all these test doesn't really give a heads up that you will have a HA!!

Lower ur nic level
Vape less

Remember NICOTINE IS VASOCONSTRICTOR..
Like you said
You only feel the heart pain when vaping a lot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
By swallowing my vape, do you mean chain vaping?

No. I mean getting vape down your esophagus instead of only in your airway to the lungs. Some people "gulp" their vape and, in effect, swallow some of it while inhaling. There is a sphincter muscle at the top of your stomach and if that has become irritated by exposure to nicotine it can cause a very localized pain in the breastbone area that you can feel when you inhale and exhale. Hurt like a mo-fo. At least that what it was like for me.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They have not ruled out Angina Pectoris. How would they detect that?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I know it's something to do with an insufficiency of oxygen to some part of the heart, but I'm not sure how they would figure that out. I know my father had it, but alas, lung cancer got him in 2006, so I can't ask him.

But what you said about having this pain after vaping a great deal... that's what made me wonder about angina. I would echo inspects, above, about trying some 0mg (no nicotine) ejuice, and see if the problem recurs when vaping that.

It may be that you're especially sensitive to the vasoconstrictive effects of nicotine. We're all very different in what might cause problems -- nicotine, or PG/VG, or even flavors, might be troublesome for a few folks, though most don't have any problems -- I'm one of the rarer birds who finds no problem with very high PG, but high VG suffocates me.

I have occasional chest pains myself, which I suspect may be an inherited case of angina, since my dad had it. Or it might be related to the very slight weakness in one of my heart's valves that causes occasional arrythmia, especially when I'm highly stressed. All I know is that the pain was a great deal worse when I smoked; after I switched to vaping, the pain disappeared for a couple years, and even now, though it has returned, occurs rather infrequently, and is quite mild -- a few slow, deep breaths seems to help a great deal, which tends to support the idea that perhaps an oxygenation issue is going on, such as angina.

But, even if the cause is physical, I have a strong feeling that worrying about it will only make it worse -- try to keep calm, not let it upset you; if it's a case of insufficient oxygen as with angina, then getting upset will make it worse, as your heart will try to work harder, making it need even more oxygen.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One other thing occurs to me -- it may not be related to your heart at all, but to your lungs. I have asthma, and though the symptoms of that are usually wheezing, breathlessness, etc, occasionally I also get sharp pains, caused by inflammation in the airways. You might want to look into that aspect; perhaps you have a previously-undiagnosed case of asthma or bronchitis or even COPD. If the pain is on the left, it can easily seem to be heart rather than lung-related.

Andria

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I am no doctor but found high over 50% VG has a effect on my lungs. My preference now is 50/50 with no issues.

16387180_408034512879060_4030385136733075542_n.jpg

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you vape high PG or high VG, either one? I got like that when I was vaping too high of VG for me. Was kind of scary.

I had the same problem when I vaped a couple of bottles of 80 VG. Plus my nose ran like Niagara Falls.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
2nd opinions , when dealing with things like this are important

I agree. Pain has a purpose: to alert you to a problem. Just because one doctor doesn't see the problem, doesn't mean it's not there. If you're vaping in order to not smoke, then totally quitting vaping may not be the best option, though it might be helpful in the short-term -- to at least let you know that somehow, there's a problem with your vape, some disagreement with your body. 3mg nicotine may not be enough to cause such a problem with your heart, but high VG could easily be a problem for your lungs, as it is for many of us.

Andria

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello Everyone,

Vic
Go back to the doctor. See a primary and get them to run a ton of labs. Get a CAT scan, endoscope, cbc, cmp, tropin, CK and liver function test. Pleurisy is another condition that mimics chest pain. Just a few suggestions to get you started.

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried, it sucks!!!
I see it says your only 36 years old on your profile. That's pretty young by todays standard.

I'd say or recommend looking at simple things first. Like Posture, Sleeping style. Do you sleep on your stomach.Sometimes if you sleep on your stomach your hand could be inadvertently pressing against your heart while you sleep. Or if you drive do you hold up your left arm near the window panel not arm rest for long extended periods of time. I would recommend keeping track of your posture and sleeping habits keeping a extra eye out for how you use your left arm, shoulder etc. As long as the pain isn't constant it could be simple things as posture.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I vape high VG.. I am 95% sure its the nicotine

What ratio of VG would be my first respone if asked that question. Next would be, what type of VG (what it is extracted from if your vendor divulges that). May not be cardiological, could be to do with pulmanory (breathing), as you are saying this happens after you have vaped. I know myself, ex-25yr PAD smoker, getting into middle age, If I vape on dripping for a whole week and nothing else on high VG liquids, I get a sense (not actual, just a sense) shortness of breath and tightness in my chest, I don't slack it down after those warning signs, then it leads to hours later when I am chain vaping like mad an actual tightness at center left chest like at my heart area, but it is not.

If you are D2L vaping maybe get yourself a MTL tank and adjust the Nic to about 9mg to 12mg max maybe down to a 60VG/40PG (unless you are alergic to PG), this ups your nic but lowers your constant need to pound on your vape and let your body purge any excess VG out of your lungs and system.

JackB

Member For 3 Years
I have just gone through all of the tests checking for the "Big One" I thought i was having a couple of weeks ago. Ended with a heart cath last Monday. That tropinin number mentioned above needs to be looked at. I'm 57, cut lard into my biscuits and make gravy with bacon fat. Have been on statins and fish oil for 30+ years. They found one spot at 20-30 % blockage and gave me the green light to continue just as I am now. Chest still hurt until Saturday. Backed off the Hi Blood med. Daughter is an RN and suggested I might be having a side effect from the lisinopril. I don't know, but no hurt since Saturday. Best of luck to you.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I vape high VG.. I am 95% sure its the nicotine
Hey @Cloudchaser1980 welcome to the forums.

The way I see it, you have a few options:
1) Go see another Dr. and get a second opinion. Perhaps he will think of something the first one didn't.
2) Vape the same juice that is giving you issues, only with 0 nic for a couple days, and see if the problem continues. Yeah, 0 nic sucks but for a couple days it may be worth it to help confirm the cause of the pain.
3) Vape a juice with a noticeably different VG level (like 50/50 or better) at your normal nic level and see if that helps with the pain.
4) Since it happens when you vape a lot, cut back your vaping to a point that doesn't bother you, and see if you can live with it.
5) Quit vaping completely.

Personally, I would ask for a 2nd opinion first, then I would troubleshoot the problem if all the Drs agree.

HTH and Good Luck!

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Go back to the doctor. See a primary and get them to run a ton of labs. Get a CAT scan, endoscope, cbc, cmp, tropin, CK and liver function test. Pleurisy is another condition that mimics chest pain. Just a few suggestions to get you started.
Got them all done, everything came back normal.

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey @Cloudchaser1980 welcome to the forums.

The way I see it, you have a few options:
1) Go see another Dr. and get a second opinion. Perhaps he will think of something the first one didn't.
2) Vape the same juice that is giving you issues, only with 0 nic for a couple days, and see if the problem continues. Yeah, 0 nic sucks but for a couple days it may be worth it to help confirm the cause of the pain.
3) Vape a juice with a noticeably different VG level (like 50/50 or better) at your normal nic level and see if that helps with the pain.
4) Since it happens when you vape a lot, cut back your vaping to a point that doesn't bother you, and see if you can live with it.
5) Quit vaping completely.

Personally, I would ask for a 2nd opinion first, then I would troubleshoot the problem if all the Drs agree.

HTH and Good Luck!
I went to 3 different cardiologists and none of my arteries are blocked. I am going to quit vaping till the pain goes away, IF it goes away lol

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What ratio of VG would be my first respone if asked that question. Next would be, what type of VG (what it is extracted from if your vendor divulges that). May not be cardiological, could be to do with pulmanory (breathing), as you are saying this happens after you have vaped. I know myself, ex-25yr PAD smoker, getting into middle age, If I vape on dripping for a whole week and nothing else on high VG liquids, I get a sense (not actual, just a sense) shortness of breath and tightness in my chest, I don't slack it down after those warning signs, then it leads to hours later when I am chain vaping like mad an actual tightness at center left chest like at my heart area, but it is not.

If you are D2L vaping maybe get yourself a MTL tank and adjust the Nic to about 9mg to 12mg max maybe down to a 60VG/40PG (unless you are alergic to PG), this ups your nic but lowers your constant need to pound on your vape and let your body purge any excess VG out of your lungs and system.
I have been vaping on the Charlie Noble brand.

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree. Pain has a purpose: to alert you to a problem. Just because one doctor doesn't see the problem, doesn't mean it's not there. If you're vaping in order to not smoke, then totally quitting vaping may not be the best option, though it might be helpful in the short-term -- to at least let you know that somehow, there's a problem with your vape, some disagreement with your body. 3mg nicotine may not be enough to cause such a problem with your heart, but high VG could easily be a problem for your lungs, as it is for many of us.

Andria
I was just going to ask you about the nicotine levels. Compared to.. lets say a malboro light, what is the comparison between the 3mg nicotine and that cigarette ?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was just going to ask you about the nicotine levels. Compared to.. lets say a malboro light, what is the comparison between the 3mg nicotine and that cigarette ?

Well, there really can't be any comparison; nicotine in smoke is a whole nuther animal than vaporized nicotine. In vapor, you're only absorbing perhaps half what's there; with smoke, you get pretty much all the nicotine the cigarette can provide, other than what burns away as second-hand smoke (from the tip). With smoke, youi inhale it rapidly and deeply, and the microscopic particles get right into your alveoli (the "grape" looking things at the ends of the bronchioles), and because a) it's deep inside your lungs, and b) cigarette tobacco is treated with ammonia to make it even faster to absorb, you get that nicotine kick inside 15 seconds of inhaling it -- vaporized nicotine, absorbed via the mucosa of the mouth, throat,. and nasal passages, takes more like 15 MINUTES. Or even 30 minutes.

3mg is really hardly any, in vapor. And what all the above, about inhalation techniques, should tell you, is that vapor really doesn't need to be inhaled deep into the lungs, because vaporized nicotine can ONLY be absorbed by the mucosal linings, NOT in the alveoli -- the molecule size is too large, in a big fat drop of vapor. Now I realize that deep inhaling becomes 2nd nature to a smoker, I have to fight it myself, but it could be that you're inhaling too much vapor into your lungs, and probably too much VG, which is VERY thick and leaves a thick residue in the airways.

The suggestions above that I think are probably most helpful are, DON'T do any "direct-to-lung" inhaling; do mouth inhales only, and try not to inhale any vapor into your lungs. Increase your nic strength, so you can vape less -- because unless you're actually *allergic* to nicotine, 3mg nicotine really isn't enough to cause your heart any problems. And yes, you'd know if you were allergic to nicotine, because both tomatoes and potatoes contain a good deal of it, eggplant too. And definitely lose some of the VG, unless you already know for a FACT that you're ALLERGIC to PG.

If, on the other hand, you just WANT to quit vaping so as to give yourself a good excuse to go back to smoking... disregard all advice.

Andria

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, there really can't be any comparison; nicotine in smoke is a whole nuther animal than vaporized nicotine. In vapor, you're only absorbing perhaps half what's there; with smoke, you get pretty much all the nicotine the cigarette can provide, other than what burns away as second-hand smoke (from the tip). With smoke, youi inhale it rapidly and deeply, and the microscopic particles get right into your alveoli (the "grape" looking things at the ends of the bronchioles), and because a) it's deep inside your lungs, and b) cigarette tobacco is treated with ammonia to make it even faster to absorb, you get that nicotine kick inside 15 seconds of inhaling it -- vaporized nicotine, absorbed via the mucosa of the mouth, throat,. and nasal passages, takes more like 15 MINUTES. Or even 30 minutes.

3mg is really hardly any, in vapor. And what all the above, about inhalation techniques, should tell you, is that vapor really doesn't need to be inhaled deep into the lungs, because vaporized nicotine can ONLY be absorbed by the mucosal linings, NOT in the alveoli -- the molecule size is too large, in a big fat drop of vapor. Now I realize that deep inhaling becomes 2nd nature to a smoker, I have to fight it myself, but it could be that you're inhaling too much vapor into your lungs, and probably too much VG, which is VERY thick and leaves a thick residue in the airways.

The suggestions above that I think are probably most helpful are, DON'T do any "direct-to-lung" inhaling; do mouth inhales only, and try not to inhale any vapor into your lungs. Increase your nic strength, so you can vape less -- because unless you're actually *allergic* to nicotine, 3mg nicotine really isn't enough to cause your heart any problems. And yes, you'd know if you were allergic to nicotine, because both tomatoes and potatoes contain a good deal of it, eggplant too. And definitely lose some of the VG, unless you already know for a FACT that you're ALLERGIC to PG.

If, on the other hand, you just WANT to quit vaping so as to give yourself a good excuse to go back to smoking... disregard all advice.

Andria
So what exactly is the difference between PG and VG...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So what exactly is the difference between PG and VG...

The biggest diff is thickness/viscosity. PG's viscosity is similar to water; VG's is more like honey. The analogy that makes the most sense to me is, if you paint something with really thick paint, it's gonna be a thick coat, and take a long time to dry. With thin paint, the coat is much thinner, and takes hardly any time to dry. Obviously lungs are going to stay moist, but the analogy works; VG leaves such a thick residue, many of us can actually *feel* it, as something foreign in our lungs, but that's not the case with PG.

The next biggest diff is triple: ability to carry/convey flavor, thickness of clouds, and amount of throat hit. PG carries flavor MUCH better than VG; it doesn't cause those obnoxious thick whipped cream clouds, and provides excellent TH. With high VG, you either need a lot more flavoring, or you have to steep it quite a long time, to get any flavor; the clouds are EXTREMELY thick (and obnoxious to anyone who's not puffing them), and there's very little TH at all.

And one more: more people seem to have a problem with high PG, which is usually throat irritation, maybe even sinus irritation, and a dry mouth; high VG, for those with a problem with it, tends to cause other types of problems, mostly related to that sensation of something foreign in the lungs, causing a breathing difficulty. You don't notice a dry mouth as much with high VG, even though it's every bit as hygroscopic (drawing water from what it encounters) as PG, because of VG's emollient nature. So you don't get the automatic clue -- a dry mouth -- to encourage you to consume more liquids, so the potential for dehydration is actually greater than with PG.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
first, i doubt it is the nicotine, since you have decreased all the way down to 3mg, which i can chain vape all day on an RDA *huge ass clouds* so we can probably rule that out. I have noticed a few posts concerning pg / vg and noticed the info is kind of reversed. PG is more of an irritant the VG, so higher vg - smoother vape, less throat hit. I generally make my own DIY at nearly 100% vg (less what is in the flavor and nicotine base) and no problem. Higher PG does cause me to get a bit sore in the chest. Nothing extreme though. Flavor also has an effect... pastry, menthol and licorice are a bit more irritating (but soooooooo goood... )
Basically... lower your power setting and air flow a bit so you get less vapor, and try that.
It could also be a chest infection, (i used to have those, but not since i started vaping.. oddly enough)
and just to toss this out there... maybe a problem in your back, like a compressed disk, just tossing that in.. which would feel a lot like chest pain. Im not a doctor, just tossing out some maybes.

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
first, i doubt it is the nicotine, since you have decreased all the way down to 3mg, which i can chain vape all day on an RDA *huge ass clouds* so we can probably rule that out. I have noticed a few posts concerning pg / vg and noticed the info is kind of reversed. PG is more of an irritant the VG, so higher vg - smoother vape, less throat hit. I generally make my own DIY at nearly 100% vg (less what is in the flavor and nicotine base) and no problem. Higher PG does cause me to get a bit sore in the chest. Nothing extreme though. Flavor also has an effect... pastry, menthol and licorice are a bit more irritating (but soooooooo goood... )
Basically... lower your power setting and air flow a bit so you get less vapor, and try that.
It could also be a chest infection, (i used to have those, but not since i started vaping.. oddly enough)
and just to toss this out there... maybe a problem in your back, like a compressed disk, just tossing that in.. which would feel a lot like chest pain. Im not a doctor, just tossing out some maybes.

Well it's been 2 days since I haven't vaped and the pain is still there.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well it's been 2 days since I haven't vaped and the pain is still there.
ok so you gotta find out what that is. Keep in mind, vape juice components are generally totally eliminated from your body within 8 hours of stopping vaping.
Have you been tested for acid reflux or ulcers? Just tossing a couple "could be"s out there.
It's rather surprising your doctor hasn't been able to point a finger in the right direction.

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok so you gotta find out what that is. Keep in mind, vape juice components are generally totally eliminated from your body within 8 hours of stopping vaping.
Have you been tested for acid reflux or ulcers? Just tossing a couple "could be"s out there.
It's rather surprising your doctor hasn't been able to point a finger in the right direction.
Well I keep having chest pains on the left side and under my left breast. It hurts when I breathe. I am going to go to the doc today to get an EKG done. I think it might be my lungs or low blood sugar. These heart palpitations won't go away, that's the scary part. My BP and Heart rate is normal though....

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I keep having chest pains on the left side and under my left breast. It hurts when I breathe. I am going to go to the doc today to get an EKG done. I think it might be my lungs or low blood sugar. These heart palpitations won't go away, that's the scary part. My BP and Heart rate is normal though....

If the pain is constant. You need to check yourself into a emergency room.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

The heart palpitations makes it seem more cardiovascular, though in my own case, it's been "assumed" that one of my heart's valves is very slightly weaker than it should be -- I get palpitations (slight arrythmia) when I'm highly stressed or highly caffeinated or both, but it can't be reproduced while an ultrasound is going on, so an assumption is about all they can manage. They find no obvious malformation or pathology with my heart.

But both gbalkam and myself pointed out the need to check for GERD (reflux) -- because any pain in the abdomen or chest can be "referred" to some seemingly-unrelated location -- my appendicitis gave me pain on my LEFT side, not the right, because of that "referred pain" situation; there are so many nerves in the thorax, it can sometimes be difficult to determine exactly what's happening, just from where it seems to hurt.

If your pulse and heart rate are normal and they haven't found any obvious problems with your heart, then "worrying" is no doubt a lot of the reason for the palpitations -- that's exactly what brings mine on. Worrying is not useful. Seeing another doctor may be; instead of a cardiologist, see a gastroenterologist. If that doc can't find any physical problem, then I'd suggest a pulmonologist, to see if there is some problem with your lungs; if that doc can't find any problems... then I'd suggest a psychiatrist, to deal with the worrying and stress. Because it's entirely possible to make yourself sick, just by worrying about your health.

Low blood sugar, as far as I know, won't cause pain, except possibly a headache. It's usually more like: lack of energy, extreme fatigue, fainting, tremors, irritability, craving for sweets, and possibly a bit of nausea. That would be something for a gastroenterologist, to determine if you have some problem in your metabolism, such as diabetes or hypoglycemia.

But just worrying about it isn't going to resolve it.

Andria

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm just gonna throw this out there into the wind and let it spread its wings.

My theory is that its lung pain associated with hot spots on the coils and dry hits. Cut your wattage by 1/3, change your coils once a day for a week and see if it goes away.I'd also buy one bottel of 60/40 pg/vg juice.

If it goes away, go back too old juice...if it stays away buy a rebuildable and use K1 Kanthal coils in the .8- 1.8 range.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hope you get it sorted. Also, a respiratory infection will cause your heart to beat harder as it tries to pump more blood to maintain the oxygen levels. I had that same sharp pain while breathing during one case of pneumonia.

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hope you get it sorted. Also, a respiratory infection will cause your heart to beat harder as it tries to pump more blood to maintain the oxygen levels. I had that same sharp pain while breathing during one case of pneumonia.
I am actually going to see my doc tomorrow. I know she will give me an EKG and I have a feeling it will come back normal. What other tests should I ask her to do?

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm just gonna throw this out there into the wind and let it spread its wings.

My theory is that its lung pain associated with hot spots on the coils and dry hits. Cut your wattage by 1/3, change your coils once a day for a week and see if it goes away.I'd also buy one bottel of 60/40 pg/vg juice.

If it goes away, go back too old juice...if it stays away buy a rebuildable and use K1 Kanthal coils in the .8- 1.8 range.
Its so weird, like for 2 months ill be fine vaping on 3 mg nic but then this pain always comes back once or twice a year

Cloudchaser1980

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The heart palpitations makes it seem more cardiovascular, though in my own case, it's been "assumed" that one of my heart's valves is very slightly weaker than it should be -- I get palpitations (slight arrythmia) when I'm highly stressed or highly caffeinated or both, but it can't be reproduced while an ultrasound is going on, so an assumption is about all they can manage. They find no obvious malformation or pathology with my heart.

But both gbalkam and myself pointed out the need to check for GERD (reflux) -- because any pain in the abdomen or chest can be "referred" to some seemingly-unrelated location -- my appendicitis gave me pain on my LEFT side, not the right, because of that "referred pain" situation; there are so many nerves in the thorax, it can sometimes be difficult to determine exactly what's happening, just from where it seems to hurt.

If your pulse and heart rate are normal and they haven't found any obvious problems with your heart, then "worrying" is no doubt a lot of the reason for the palpitations -- that's exactly what brings mine on. Worrying is not useful. Seeing another doctor may be; instead of a cardiologist, see a gastroenterologist. If that doc can't find any physical problem, then I'd suggest a pulmonologist, to see if there is some problem with your lungs; if that doc can't find any problems... then I'd suggest a psychiatrist, to deal with the worrying and stress. Because it's entirely possible to make yourself sick, just by worrying about your health.

Low blood sugar, as far as I know, won't cause pain, except possibly a headache. It's usually more like: lack of energy, extreme fatigue, fainting, tremors, irritability, craving for sweets, and possibly a bit of nausea. That would be something for a gastroenterologist, to determine if you have some problem in your metabolism, such as diabetes or hypoglycemia.

But just worrying about it isn't going to resolve it.

Andria
I don't want to quit vaping because I love it too much. So if its not my heart what should I do? I am going to go see the doc tomorrow. Remember I can run for an hour everyday and I wont pass out so my arteries are good.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't want to quit vaping because I love it too much. So if its not my heart what should I do? I am going to go see the doc tomorrow. Remember I can run for an hour everyday and I wont pass out so my arteries are good.

If you can run like that and have no issues, then it's probably not your heart, and very likely not your lungs either -- I'd see about getting checked for acid reflux (GERD). Because ANY pain, anywhere in your chest/abdomen, can occur at ANY location in your chest/abdomen, regardless of where it actually originates -- thx to "referred pain." Just as my appendicitis, a sepsis in my lower-right abdomen, presented with pain in my mid-left abdomen. And maybe get checked for ulcers, too; since they've determined that ulcers are actually caused by a bacterium (helicobacter pylori), it's pretty easy to test for that, and also to treat it.

Also -- if any of this has brought on any coughing spells, it's possible you have strained muscles in your chest wall, or in the intra-costal muscles (the ones between the ribs). As an asthmatic, I've had this type of strain quite a few times, and the pain is pretty bad; unfortunately there isn't a lot to be done except take anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen and wait it out. A doc might suggest a binding of your chest -- as when there are broken ribs -- but you'd need to see if that's actually the problem, and if a doc actually recommends that.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you can run like that and have no issues, then it's probably not your heart, and very likely not your lungs either -- I'd see about getting checked for acid reflux (GERD). Because ANY pain, anywhere in your chest/abdomen, can occur at ANY location in your chest/abdomen, regardless of where it actually originates -- thx to "referred pain." Just as my appendicitis, a sepsis in my lower-right abdomen, presented with pain in my mid-left abdomen. And maybe get checked for ulcers, too; since they've determined that ulcers are actually caused by a bacterium (helicobacter pylori), it's pretty easy to test for that, and also to treat it.

Also -- if any of this has brought on any coughing spells, it's possible you have strained muscles in your chest wall, or in the intra-costal muscles (the ones between the ribs). As an asthmatic, I've had this type of strain quite a few times, and the pain is pretty bad; unfortunately there isn't a lot to be done except take anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen and wait it out. A doc might suggest a binding of your chest -- as when there are broken ribs -- but you'd need to see if that's actually the problem, and if a doc actually recommends that.

Andria
Jezuz! Run? I can't even walk like that! But yeah, sounds like heart and lungs are fine.
Now, I have acid reflux, and my father had ulcers. MY reflux is more of a heart burn / upset stomach feeling from a weak valve and being a glutton. LOL.
Anyway, those are some things to get checked for. Hopefully it is something minor. Some types of reflux can be cured with a 30 day prescription. I manage mine with diet by avoiding trigger foods like raw green pepper. (I can drink Tabasco from the bottle, but a tiny bit of green pepper nearly kills me, go figure...)

VU Sponsors