Become a Patron!

Chemical testing to reveal juice recipes?

WZV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In another thread I found this link to a company that will test your juice for junk, nicotine, etc. They also say their chemical testing can reveal the recipe of the juice. I'm not sure of their pricing just yet, but if it is reasonable you could potentially crowd fund to get all the most popular juices decoded, no?

Thoughts?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Can you find a link to that site?

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is my thought, and I mean this only for myself (kinda), but I would feel like I was paying someone to steal for me, as far as reverse recipes go. Not down with that. I don't know how they'd do that anyway. Wouldn't they need to know the chemical make up of every flavor from every manufacturer to be correct?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
But they could be valuable for testing for diacetyl and other bad stuff.

If just to prove your product does not have it.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But they could be valuable for testing for diacetyl and other bad stuff.

If just to prove your product does not have it.

depending on how much they charge for this service of course :)

WZV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is my thought, and I mean this only for myself (kinda), but I would feel like I was paying someone to steal for me, as far as reverse recipes go. Not down with that. I don't know how they'd do that anyway. Wouldn't they need to know the chemical make up of every flavor from every manufacturer to be correct?

This is understandable, but if it were not done for you to actually retail, it would be virtually harmless. With prices for "premium" juices being $20+ for a 15-30ml, aren't they borderline price gouging, which is equally as wrong? All you're really paying for is the name and the time that went into formulating the recipe.

My initial thought was that, if the price for the analysis was reasonable, it would be good for research and learning. By knowing the recipes for the juices that you like most, you learn new combinations of flavors that may aid you in mixing your own.

As far as how they do it, I've no idea.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Or you could come up with an original idea. Weird concept right. Testing for diacetyl is one thing but this is not the title of the thread. Lame

WZV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Or you could come up with an original idea. Weird concept right. Testing for diacetyl is one thing but this is not the title of the thread. Lame

Cool.

They can only test for chemicals, so your 'recipe' would be a bunch of chemical names....

Possibly so. I sent them an email yesterday to inquire about the service. Here is the response in their personal proposal that they sent me:

"We will deconstruct the flavor package and provide you with a list of ingredients, amounts, where to buy them, and how much they cost. We guarantee that if mixed as per our instructions, you will reproduce the original flavor."

Ultimately, my idea was to learn. To any asshole naysayers, how would you ever learn to cook without good recipes? With recipes you learn how flavors work together.

With a $5,800 price tag, though, I could afford to take a couple weeks off work and mix to my heart's desire until I had several perfect blends.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
that is why there are thousands of basic recipes on the net.
if you knew your flavorings.. you yourself can come up some something even better than decent..
however in the end.. it is up to the person mixing to do their work.
not too many will hand out a million dollar recipe and not too many companies will give up the info for cheap..

and guess what.. some mixers even with 5 years of experience, still can not mix for crap. yeps i said it. :p

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
With a $5,800 price tag, though, I could afford to take a couple weeks off work and mix to my heart's desire until I had several perfect blends.
$5800 will buy a LOT of whatever vendor juice you want. I don't get the point of this supposed 'service.'

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"We will deconstruct the flavor package and provide you with a list of ingredients, amounts, where to buy them, and how much they cost. We guarantee that if mixed as per our instructions, you will reproduce the original flavor."

Ultimately, my idea was to learn. To any asshole naysayers, how would you ever learn to cook without good recipes? With recipes you learn how flavors work together.

I don't believe 'em. Can they really duplicate Coca Cola? Mixing a reciepe is more than throwing a bunch of chemicals together even if you know what they are. Sure, there are some juices that are fairly simple - % flavoring + base but I suspect in the next few years those are going to have a hard time or become very cheap (since not everyone wants to mess with DIY). But the premium complex mixes aren't touched by this. How do you duplicate an in-house extraction or net? There's a number of flavorings that are not sold retail (weber's) and then there's process. You can take a reciepe and the same ingredients done by 2 people; one a layman, and one a chef and you'll have 2 totally different results.

VU Sponsors