Become a Patron!

Chefs page

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all im Ryan and im a chef in England ive been doing diy for only a short time but seem to be having problems with some flavor profiles like chocolate and cherry, mango and kiwi and various others.
Was hoping there was other chefs out there who may have some experience with this kind of thing.
Everyone however is welcome to comment.

Cheers all

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
Those are some of the toughest flavor profiles to nail down. Chocolate can end up tasting a lot like 'tootsie rolls' and cherry has that cough syrupy flavor to it for a lot of people.

I'm not an expert on chocolate recipes, but FA Chocolate and Cocoa go together well and they make up the foundation of a lot of good chocolate based mixes. TFA double chocolate is also pretty popular and I've heard good things about Inawera Chocolate as well. It might take some experimenting with different brands and mixing them in different ratios to really find the profile you're after.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Only 1 of the 4 you mentioned is pretty easy to work with and that's the Mango.
CAP Sweet Mango & INW Mango are both pretty good IMO.

FA Chocolate & FA Cocoa are decent too, if you like chocolate vapes.
But they get more difficult to work with when mixing them with a lot of other flavors.

All the Cherry flavorings I've tried taste like cough syrup.

Kiwi flavorings don't taste anything like the fruit to me, Yuk.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those are some of the toughest flavor profiles to nail down. Chocolate can end up tasting a lot like 'tootsie rolls' and cherry has that cough syrupy flavor to it for a lot of people.

I'm not an expert on chocolate recipes, but FA Chocolate and Cocoa go together well and they make up the foundation of a lot of good chocolate based mixes. TFA double chocolate is also pretty popular and I've heard good things about Inawera Chocolate as well. It might take some experimenting with different brands and mixing them in different ratios to really find the profile you're after.
So experiment with different types got it.
Thanks man tootsie roll was pretty much what im getting

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Only 1 of the 4 you mentioned is pretty easy to work with and that's the Mango.
CAP Sweet Mango & INW Mango are both pretty good IMO.

FA Chocolate & FA Cocoa are decent too, if you like chocolate vapes.
But they get more difficult to work with when mixing them with a lot of other flavors.

All the Cherry flavorings I've tried taste like cough syrup.

Kiwi flavorings don't taste anything like the fruit to me, Yuk.
Ive noticed with the kiwi tried 4 different types and only get the furry mouth feel and no flavor and seeming to get just cough syrup or cough sweets like soothers with cherry.
Il try with mango coz its part of my top choices along with chocolate cherry strawberry and toffee.
Any suggestions on the last two and coffee?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I like to pretend to be a chef :) chocolate, and cherry are hard even for seasoned mixers. just think of mixing kinda like you do cooking. you cant just add chocolate to make a chocolate cake so what would you use to make an extra special chocolate cake, vanilla, almond, maybe coconut? vanilla and chocolate go hand in hand I always add vanilla to my chocolate vapes and really some type of vanilla to almost any bakery things I make just because in cooking vanilla is a staple to dang near anything delicious lol.
cherry is the same. most cherries taste not so great alone but add some sugary flavor or brandy and all of a sudden your cherry is going places.
dont be afraid to mix and match brands and try as many as you can when you can. 2 indavidual flavors may not be great alone but mix those 2 and things may get better.
really just a lot of trial and error and cracking jokes on VU and you will be an expert in no time :p

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all im Ryan and im a chef in England ive been doing diy for only a short time but seem to be having problems with some flavor profiles like chocolate and cherry, mango and kiwi and various others.
Was hoping there was other chefs out there who may have some experience with this kind of thing.

Cheers all

Was a Chef until only recently. Made a drastic career change to allow for more family time.

But, when I started diy, I thought "I am a chef, should be easy to make amazing juice." However, it turned out to be a bit of a struggle. The mixing and pairing of flavors you developed in your career do not necessarily work in vape juice quite as you might hope (at least for me it didn't).

A single Chocolate flavoring doesn't necessarily taste like bona fide chocolate. A single Banana flavoring doesn't taste like a perfectly ripe banana. And so on and so on. It is more of a mixing of flavor notes. Much like Brie has truffle notes. Or whiskey has woody notes. Or wine has tobacco notes. And so on. Flavorings are, unfortunately, not perfect or exact.

So you might be able to get a full chocolate flavor. But it might take several chocolate flavorings together to make it just right. If that makes sense. And, to further complicate this, you have to balance this with your collection of balanced cherry notes.

My short answer would be: find some highly regarded recipes that have the flavor profiles you want to mix with. Make those recipes to learn how to use your flavorings. Once you see what your flavorings bring to the table and how they work with eachother, then go nuts!

Good luck, Chef.

Was the hardest part of leaving my last career. The realization of "I am no longer a Chef."

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Think of it like this. You are going to re-create the flavor of a walnut and apple tart. But you are only using apple candies and walnut extract.

It will not be exactly the flavor of the original. Hard as you might try.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Was a Chef until only recently. Made a drastic career change to allow for more family time.

But, when I started diy, I thought "I am a chef, should be easy to make amazing juice." However, it turned out to be a bit of a struggle. The mixing and pairing of flavors you developed in your career do not necessarily work in vape juice quite as you might hope (at least for me it didn't).

A single Chocolate flavoring doesn't necessarily taste like bona fide chocolate. A single Banana flavoring doesn't taste like a perfectly ripe banana. And so on and so on. It is more of a mixing of flavor notes. Much like Brie has truffle notes. Or whiskey has woody notes. Or wine has tobacco notes. And so on. Flavorings are, unfortunately, not perfect or exact.

So you might be able to get a full chocolate flavor. But it might take several chocolate flavorings together to make it just right. If that makes sense. And, to further complicate this, you have to balance this with your collection of balanced cherry notes.

My short answer would be: find some highly regarded recipes that have the flavor profiles you want to mix with. Make those recipes to learn how to use your flavorings. Once you see what your flavorings bring to the table and how they work with eachother, then go nuts!

Good luck, Chef.

Was the hardest part of leaving my last career. The realization of "I am no longer a Chef."
So if I want a choc vape for instance i should probs get as many good choc flavours as i can mix say coffee notes and caramel to round out the chocolate experience and vanilla cream to sweeten everything up?
Ooh mix like you cook and dont trust single varieties of flavour thank you for the advice and good luck i have a family myself and know how hard it is

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Il try with mango coz its part of my top choices along with chocolate cherry strawberry and toffee.
Any suggestions on the last two and coffee?

FA Tiramisu is a coffee type with a bit of chocolate and it's quite potent, like usually 0.5-1% for me.

@HeadInClouds had a recipe posted using 1% FA Tiramisu + 3% FA Zeppola I think.
Can't find the link ATM but it's pretty good and quite sweet.

FA Espresso is a decent coffee flavor if you like coffee vapes that is, and it's another one that's quite potent.
Good base to work from if you want to add Cream and sweetener, or whatever.

FW has a real good Butterscotch, Butter Pecan, & Hazelnut.
But most of the toffee flavors I've tried so far are pretty weak.

INW Shisha Strawberry is my favorite and is quite popular around here.
INW Biscuit pairs well with it as does TFA/CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and TFA Dairy Milk.

TFA Caramel Original and CAP Caramel are decent but not quite like the "real deal".

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FA Tiramisu is a coffee type with a bit of chocolate and it's quite potent, like usually 0.5-1% for me.

FA Espresso is a decent coffee flavor if you like coffee vapes that is, and it's another one that's quite potent.

INW Biscuit pairs well with it as does TFA/CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and TFA Dairy Milk.
Thanks for the info that hazelnut pecan sounds good putting on my wishlist now and tiramisu il try.

TFA Caramel Original and CAP Caramel are decent but not quite like the "real deal".
Butter pecan and hazelnut sound good going to add them to my wishlist as well as tiramisu. To hell with it il get butterscotch too cant have too many sweets can you .
Im also going to peruse the shisha blends from inw.
Thanks again for the info you guys are way better than search engines.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
FA Cappuccino is also pretty good. Not quite as strong as the Espresso flavor, which can be overwhelming on it's own and in mixes. I love the Lazy Morning recipe that HIC posted. Cappuccino is so perfect in that mix. I have a 3rd ADV now, LOL.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FA Cappuccino is also pretty good. Not quite as strong as the Espresso flavor, which can be overwhelming on it's own and in mixes. I love the Lazy Morning recipe that HIC posted. Cappuccino is so perfect in that mix. I have a 3rd ADV now, LOL.
I saw the cappuccino and quite fancied it as oposed to the espresso. Figured it would have the foamed milk flavour too

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I saw the cappuccino and quite fancied it as oposed to the espresso. Figured it would have the foamed milk flavour too

It's calmer than the espresso, much calmer, IMO, but they both have their place, I feel. Heabob mentioned the Tiramisu, and that one is certainly fantastic. Also pretty strong, but can be calmed down. HIC has a few, IIRC, posted in the recipes area.

With enough good coffee all things are possible
That's awesome, LOL. :D

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Cheers all

Medicine Flower have some very good versions of a few of the not really nailed flavours such as dark chocolate and coffee. They are expensive but in the UK there is a site called "Vapour Depot" that has them rebottled at a 10% dilution in VG under "Botanix Elixir", which is worth a punt for testing.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Medicine Flower have some very good versions of a few of the not really nailed flavours such as dark chocolate and coffee. They are expensive but in the UK there is a site called "Vapour Depot" that has them rebottled at a 10% dilution in VG under "Botanix Elixir", which is worth a punt for testing.
Will investigate this cheers

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Will investigate this cheers

Be prepared for them being sold out of one of two you are after half the time. Im sure they literally buy one bottle of Medicine Flower at a time and dilute it but its still better than buying 15ml of the real thing for £25 odd by the time you include delivery before you know you like it. I love there coffee and raspberry flavours and the chocolate is the closest to a proper one I have had, better than the old Inawera one, still not there though.

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Dont like most of the flavours of OSDIY (One Stop DIY....they are on Chefs Flavours), the "Lucky Shot" especially seems way over rated to me, but if you are after the foamed milk latte taste of a coffee, for me there "Lotta Latte" nails it, though it lacks the coffee taste itself

VU Sponsors