Become a Patron!

Cana issues worth worrying about?

CookieMonster225

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been reading in various places (reddit,ect) about these cana mods firing on their own and venting batteries. The last one I read about claimed to be a Cloupor but said it had a Hana logo on it, which Cloupor does not. I realize these could be from the very first preorders. Some people are retiring theirs and so on. Do you guys think it's worth worrying over? I have the most updated Cloupor and haven't had an issue with it; it's also my favorite mod.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I've been reading in various places (reddit,ect) about these cana mods firing on their own and venting batteries. The last one I read about claimed to be a Cloupor but said it had a Hana logo on it, which Cloupor does not. I realize these could be from the very first preorders. Some people are retiring theirs and so on. Do you guys think it's worth worrying over? I have the most updated Cloupor and haven't had an issue with it; it's also my favorite mod.
I believe that one was sold as a Cloupor by a ebay seller that really was a HotCig product.

Synsi1916

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It started auto-firing, fortunately the vendor gave a full refund. I wouldn't worry about it if you got it from a vendor that will back their products.

CookieMonster225

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not worried about a replacement so much as it autofiring while I'm sleeping.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Any of you have issues with frequently having to re-tighten the screws on the back cover?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The thing I have found out about just about any electronic device is when you get one, and you put it through its paces (IE pressing all of the buttons and charging the battery) if it works and works well for just a few days, it is likely to last quite awhile unless you drop the sucker.

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years
It was mostly the first batch I think. I have Cloupor 2nd or 3rd batch and the only issue is it adjusts power by itself for the first time you set it (set 25W, it wakes up later witr 24.8W - set it again and it remains 25W after sleep too). Not a big issue - I think the reason is the voltage is regulated in some steps so the 24.8 and 25W settings are actually the same.
Hotcig/KSD/hCig... models are different. I have KSD and it uses completely different chip (the same like FT) which is a crap. Bad ohms reading, poor voltage accuracy, 5.5 V limit, gets hot etc. Many people on FT reported this chips R.I.P. after a while...

CookieMonster225

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea, I noticed my wattage is sometimes different from what I set it at, but nothing noticeable.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
It was mostly the first batch I think. I have Cloupor 2nd or 3rd batch and the only issue is it adjusts power by itself for the first time you set it (set 25W, it wakes up later witr 24.8W - set it again and it remains 25W after sleep too). Not a big issue - I think the reason is the voltage is regulated in some steps so the 24.8 and 25W settings are actually the same.
Hotcig/KSD/hCig... models are different. I have KSD and it uses completely different chip (the same like FT) which is a crap. Bad ohms reading, poor voltage accuracy, 5.5 V limit, gets hot etc. Many people on FT reported this chips R.I.P. after a while...

What kind of battery are you using?

Yesterday I saw an add for this mod that stated that for you to use it over 20 watts you needed the Sony VTC5 3o amp battery or something like it.

And I thought that what you needed was a good high mAh rated battery.

Is this true or just someone wanting to sell extra batteries with the mod?

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Yesterday I saw an add for this mod that stated that for you to use it over 20 watts you needed the Sony VTC5 3o amp battery or something like it.

The battery also has to be able to handle the amps discharged if you want to vape at higher watts and lower ohms (resistance). In most cases, I believe, a battery with a max discharge of 10 amps will do the trick.

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years

Calculate the current needed for your setup and add some inefficiency of the chip (10 % or more to be safe) and some reserve (older battery, lower capacity than stated etc. etc.).
The highest current Cana could handle is 8 A = 4 V / .5 ohm (minimal res) + reserve = 10 A +-. To be really safe I think 20 A is more than enough (no need for 30 A).
Personally I use Panasonic PF with 10 A limit and I had no problem. But I prefer higher ohms than .5 with VW as it gives me possibility to regulate the power and also the battery drain is lower with the same wattage. Dual coiled Origen I use with Cana has .7 ohm = I can use cca 6.5 A at max (+ some reserve it is still way bellow 10 A limit).

at all I have the same "faith of 10 A is enough" like moecat ;)

@CookieMonster225 - yes. The wattage self-adjustment isnt a dealbreaker.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

All i have been hearing about the Fasttech clones is fantastic things , even Grimm mentioned that he believes the FT clones could have have a legit Evolve board but i am not claiming that myself.

From researching all over the place i see more issues with other clones including Cloupors than FT models in general and most of the Fasttech clone comments are referring to the older one with the seam NOT the newer ones.

One thing FT has thats a big plus is you have a very long return and exchange period , i know of numerous Cloupors that died within two weeks and two vendors refused to cover it .

Read that on this site somewhere.

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years
All i have been hearing about the Fasttech clones is fantastic things , even Grimm mentioned that he believes the FT clones could have have a legit Evolve board but i am not claiming that myself.

From researching all over the place i see more issues with other clones including Cloupors than FT models in general and most of the Fasttech clone comments are referring to the older one with the seam NOT the newer ones.

One thing FT has thats a big plus is you have a very long return and exchange period , i know of numerous Cloupors that died within two weeks and two vendors refused to cover it .

Read that on this site somewhere.

FT Cana has no Evolve board man. I had 4 in my hands and all had the same chip (2 already dead after 2 weaks). Personally I have both FT and Cloupor and Cloupor one has different chip and much better (more precise).
Read the FT forums related to DNA30 style chip itself. It is far from being genuine or good quality at least.
Honestly it is good box for 50 € but I would pay 15 more and grab Cloupor personally after experience with both.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
FT Cana has no Evolve board man. I had 4 in my hands and all had the same chip (2 already dead after 2 weaks). Personally I have both FT and Cloupor and Cloupor one has different chip and much better (more precise).
Read the FT forums related to DNA30 style chip itself. It is far from being genuine or good quality at least.
Honestly it is good box for 50 € but I would pay 15 more and grab Cloupor personally after experience with both.

I didn't say the FT has a genuine Evolve , Grimm said he believes it's very possible they got their hands on some .

FT makes changes constantly as does other Chinese vendors so don't shoot the messenger , i'm reporting what a respected vaping personality said .

Regarding the chips , no one chip is superior to another with the DNA clones , and please spare me the "better more precise" comments, the Cloupor is the furthest thing from being precise .

I have had and used various versions including the new ones and they all have a mind of their own lol.

FWIW , the newer Hotcig model's are being sold by numerous vendors not just FT , and i must say i couldn't believe how good the reviews were .

i was actually shocked by the comments from a few different sites as they were very very positive , too positive actually but when i read a thread just posted about the new FT models on another forum the reviews are outstanding so it has merit.

I don't put much cred into FT forums , bunch of clowns and kids in there .

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years
Regarding the chips , no one chip is superior to another with the DNA clones , and please spare me the "better more precise" comments, the Cloupor is the furthest thing from being precise .

Man I dont spare you comment. You deserve it. You read it. I measure it.
Chip used by Cloupor is clearly superior. I did the same with other with the same results.

FT Cana (actually this one is not from FT but has the same chip) at 5.4 V measured 5.06 V
IMG_20140729_111524.jpg

Cloupor Cana at 4.4 V measured 4.37 V
IMG_20140729_111613.jpg

+ FT Cana has ohm meter .3 ohm off. Cloupor Cana is OK
+ FT Cana fires even under 4 V (and very unprecise) - why? maybe pwm?
IMG_20140602_202633_1.jpg

As I told - for 50 € FT Cana is OK. But every Cloupor I had in my hands was better.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is nothing wrong with the FT chip itself. The issue is the wiring,soldering and craptastic batteries in the ones that came with preinstalled batts.. If you use crap wire or undersized wire and have bad solder points its gonna cause issues with these chips or an authentic dna chip. Now I am not saying its a perfect clone but I can tell you I have had just as many issues with authentic dna chips as the FT ones.

I would bet money if you went in those boxes you linked with vdroop and rewired and resoldered it would go away. A fair amount of those people on FT with threads and issues on the DIY chip have issues because they went and got a shit radio shack soldering iron and 22ga wire(thats the biggest they sell in store)and do not know what they are doing. Soldering is not just as easy and "stick hot thing on wire and win!". One cold joint and your fucked.

With that being said I do think the Coupers are better made for a prebuilt box and if you do go with a FT box get one that does not come with a battery.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
From what I can tell after more than a week daily use from dawn to dusk plus, there is only one slight issue with the Hana Mod that I received from Focalecig. The resistance is off by +0.3 ohms. For example, if I have what I know to be a 1.8 ohm coil, the unit shows 2.1 ohms,

Perhaps if I had paid $250 for the original Hana Mod, I would be a bit agitated and be asking for a new unit.

For $57.50 shipped from Focal, I have no hesitation recommending this device. Even with the variance, it still serves its function as a diagnostic aid and it still lets me know when the coil is starting to gunk up and it is time to do a dry burn to remove said gunk and put in a new wick while I am about it.

Even if it takes all of my brain power to deduct 0.3 ohms from the reading being displayed.

The mod works well, I get a nice warm and tasty vape, battery (VCT5) charges while I sleep and it fits in my shirt pocket.

And Focal has a very good warranty as well.

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years
@Superjeep I agree it could solve the resistance issue - however what about the 2.3 V? That is the strange thing ;) How the hell no-buck-boost chip could handle such a low voltage? (battery was +- 3.7 V). I ve measured 2.4 V inside on the board at the same time with volt-meter so it is not an issue of wires. I just couldnt take that picture because both hands were in use...

@UncleRJ the price ratio 50:250 does not equal to quality ratio. But it seems more like 50 vs. 70 battle here ;) However it looks like you can get good or bad unit from every manufacturer (friend fried one Cloupor box just a few minutes ago... but he fried authentic DNA too already) .

VU Sponsors