Become a Patron!

Cana 30 watt..What type of battery does this require?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, the Hana Modz DNA 30 that I won in a contest from Focalecig (thank you Doris) has made it to Chicago and I should have it any day now.

While just drifting along yesterday, I saw that Mt. Baker had the mod on their site and they stated that if you wanted to go over 20 watts, you needed to power it with something like the Sony VTC5..

This is the first I have heard about these new boards needing a high amp battery. I have heard that you wanted the high mAh rated batteries and those I have in plenty.

Hopefully the VU members can set me straight very soon as if I absolutely need the VCT5 I can get them on order this morning so they can ship today and get here at the same time as the Hana Mod!

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I believe you need a battery that has a decent specified maximum amp discharge (say 10 amps to be safe, assuming you're sub ohming). You can use any online Ohm's Law calculator to see if your current battery can handle vaping at 20 watts. For example: http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php (you just enter 2 values). Also, the higher resistance coils you use, the less you have to worry about the battery's discharge capacity and focus more on the voltage/watts you need to get your ideal vape.

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
a 10 amp battery should be fine, however if you want to just play it safe you could also get a vtc3 or vtc4. Theyre cheaper, handle just as much amps as the vtc5, but they have a lower MaH so they may not have the battery life of the vtc5. Hope this helps UncleRJ!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
a 10 amp battery should be fine, however if you want to just play it safe you could also get a vtc3 or vtc4. Theyre cheaper, handle just as much amps as the vtc5, but they have a lower MaH so they may not have the battery life of the vtc5. Hope this helps UncleRJ!

Thanks for the help!

I just went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a pair of the VCT5 using a gift card that had almost enough on it to cover the purchase.

Better safe than sorry and as I intend on charging them externally (I have some rare earth magnets on the way to modify the door cover) I can always have one ready to swap out.

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No problem bud! Let us know how the focal cana works, i was actually looking into purchasing it myself.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
No problem bud! Let us know how the focal cana works, i was actually looking into purchasing it myself.

I am actually planning on writing a bit of a review or two.

Once when I first get it and have a few hours to play with the thing and another after I have put it through its paces and see how the internal charger works. I have been told that the charge light changes from red to green on this model.

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm.. Ill definitely keep a eye out for the reviews, but the charging light might be useless to me depending on the shade and brightness. Im colorblind to certain reds and greens so if theyre close to the same brightness, itll all look the same to me haha :D

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hmm.. Ill definitely keep a eye out for the reviews, but the charging light might be useless to me depending on the shade and brightness. Im colorblind to certain reds and greens so if theyre close to the same brightness, itll all look the same to me haha :D

I have a VaporShark DNA20 which has the internal charging board. And the light shines through a hole in the side so you almost have to look straight at it to see if the light is even on regardless of the color. I imagine that this it the same situation.

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, ill be taking batteries out to charge then. But that wasnt a big feature to me anyways, aslong as it doesnt have a meltdown and will last ill be happy.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
@UncleRJ I received (inside and outside pics) my clouper Hana Modz clone exactly a month ago. I put a 30amp purple efest in it and screwed down the cover and haven't opened it again. I charge it overnight with the micro USB port every night and have had zero issues.

Great news! Not sure who manufactured the one I am getting from Focalecig apparently their supplier will not tell them who made them.

Does yours show a green light when it is fully charged?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Ok, I kinda sorta see it.

I will just have to be patient to see how my own one does.

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have the cloupor version I was wondering if anyone knows when the display says the battery is at zero what is the battery's actual reading? 3.5v, 3.7v

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You would really have to open it up and check the battery with a volt meter.

But I would guess somewhere close to 3.2v.

st_andrew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh that's scary
I usually always change my battery out around half . Yesterday I didn't pay attention and before I knew it I was at about 1/4 . I don't want to do any damage to my battery's

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have the cloupor version I was wondering if anyone knows when the display says the battery is at zero what is the battery's actual reading? 3.5v, 3.7v

I don't know if these behave like the real DNA board, but it all depends on you set wattage. In other words, if you have it set to 30 watts and it's at low battery or low enough that it won't fire, if you set it down to like 10 watts, the display will show you about double what the 30 watts showd.

Best way I can describe it, the battery meter is a "gauge" of how much usable battery life you have remaining at the current output setting.

If I remember correctly, the most a DNA board will discharge a battery is to 3.2 volts. I could be wrong though.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Oh that's scary
I usually always change my battery out around half . Yesterday I didn't pay attention and before I knew it I was at about 1/4 . I don't want to do any damage to my battery's

With my Vamo (and I believe my SVD as well) they shut down at the 3.2v mark. I have been using both of them for a very long time with the same batteries and they have not been harmed. I normally use 18350 batteries in my Vamo and they have consistently provided 7-8 hours of life over the past year and they are showing no signs of losing life.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
3.2V is well within the safe maximum discharge of an IMR battery. No problems there. Provari also discharges to 3.2volts at cutoff, I ran 3 AW IMR's for over a year in my Provari mini exclusively, and I still use those same 3 18350's about 2 years later no problem in my nemesis. They don't hold their charge as long now after 2 years of use, but still very respecfully.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Back to the original question, DNA board supports a resistance down to .5 ohms, so .5ohms at 30 watts, the maximum amp draw is 7.8 amps, so as long as you're using a battery with a 10 amp or higher amp rating your good. The higher the amp rating on the battery, the less stress you'll be puting on the battery and the longer it will hold it's charge.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I got my hands on a couple of the Sony VTC5 2600 mAh batteries and they are working very well for this particular mod.

I am getting right at 12 hours of vaping ranging between 10.5 and 12.5 watts. And using the internal charger, it takes just about 3 hours to fully charge. My VP1 could do it faster but then I have to mess with the battery cover.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got my hands on a couple of the Sony VTC5 2600 mAh batteries and they are working very well for this particular mod.

I am getting right at 12 hours of vaping ranging between 10.5 and 12.5 watts. And using the internal charger, it takes just about 3 hours to fully charge. My VP1 could do it faster but then I have to mess with the battery cover.
Great choice for a 30 watt mod.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Great choice for a 30 watt mod.

Thanks and they do seem to be working out rather nicely.

But I am hoping that the magnets I have on order will allow for the easy opening of the battery cover so I can change the batteries on the fly without worrying about the cover coming off.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks and they do seem to be working out rather nicely.

But I am hoping that the magnets I have on order will allow for the easy opening of the battery cover so I can change the batteries on the fly without worrying about the cover coming off.
Make sure you post pics of how you mounted the magnets

VU Sponsors