Become a Patron!

Can you identify the fake LG HG2 18650 Battery?

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Excellent! A great, thorough lesson for detection. Click Here.
4-hg2-1-fake.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This article is more than 2 years old, and, even though it does give some good examples of what a fake battery might look like in direct comparison to its genuine counterpart, even though at least it does bring to people's attention the fact there exist fake batteries, I still have mixed feelings about this article because the reality is that a battery that looks visibly IDENTICAL to the genuine one might still turn out to be fake after all so the article is at least somewhat misinforming, and in fact it looks more like an advertisement because it conveniently avoids telling the whole truth, which is that none of the battery vendors have the resources it takes to guarantee the batteries they're selling will never be fakes. What makes a trusted battery vendor trustworthy is what they'll do after they find out they've been selling fakes. Battery Bro is NOT on Mooch's list of trusted battery vendors. Talking about measuring the height of 18650 batteries with digital calipers without adding an extra word of caution can also be dangerous because it can give the wrong impression that it is perfectly OK to try this stuff at home without also realizing the fact that calipers are usually made out of metal so this is going to be causing a hard short on the battery instead of being truly educational about battery safety.

That said, everyone should carefully watch this video:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@Carambrda I realize the article is old. Since then, there are different ways to tell or not to tell if a battery is fake. The fact remains however, any information about a fake is beneficial. Whether or not it's on Mooch's list of trusted vendors or not. Members can take what they will from any source. Thanks for posting Mooch's video! He most certainly is the Guru of batteries.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Carambrda I realize the article is old. Since then, there are different ways to tell or not to tell if a battery is fake. The fact remains however, any information about a fake is beneficial. Whether or not it's on Mooch's list of trusted vendors or not. Members can take what they will from any source. Thanks for posting Mooch's video! He most certainly is the Guru of batteries.
Part of the information is beneficial like I already said, so no need for you to repeat that to me because I already just said so myself, but, like I also said, another part of the information creates the false impression that a battery can't be fake if it looks the same as a genuine battery, so the OTHER important fact that remains is, that particular part of the information should be considered the opposite of beneficial regardless of whether members can take what they will from any source.

Ephraim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
This article is more than 2 years old, and, even though it does give some good examples of what a fake battery might look like in direct comparison to its genuine counterpart, even though at least it does bring to people's attention the fact there exist fake batteries, I still have mixed feelings about this article because the reality is that a battery that looks visibly IDENTICAL to the genuine one might still turn out to be fake after all so the article is at least somewhat misinforming, and in fact it looks more like an advertisement because it conveniently avoids telling the whole truth, which is that none of the battery vendors have the resources it takes to guarantee the batteries they're selling will never be fakes. What makes a trusted battery vendor trustworthy is what they'll do after they find out they've been selling fakes. Battery Bro is NOT on Mooch's list of trusted battery vendors. Talking about measuring the height of 18650 batteries with digital calipers without adding an extra word of caution can also be dangerous because it can give the wrong impression that it is perfectly OK to try this stuff at home without also realizing the fact that calipers are usually made out of metal so this is going to be causing a hard short on the battery instead of being truly educational about battery safety.

That said, everyone should carefully watch this video:

I order everything off 1i6t0batterystore.com. to my knowledge they dont sell fakes. Atleast I hope not.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I order everything off 1i6t0batterystore.com. to my knowledge they dont sell fakes. Atleast I hope not.
Battery vendors don't have enough resources to check every single cell. So they can't guarantee that they'll NEVER sell a fake, because, sooner or later, EVERY vendor will sell a fake, BUT... what makes a trusted vendor trustworthy is what they'll do once they find out they've been selling fakes, and, 18650batterystore.com is one of Mooch's trusted battery vendors.

VU Sponsors