Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
THIS is an e-cig
2153b61e83f7135a71acdb75c6f813ba.jpg

which im sure most of us dont use.

THIS is a personal Vaping device
8783da85ad12d728fee423cb88aeae1f.jpg

Using the term "e-cig" associates vaping with cigarettes and that is not at all what we're about. Maybe if we change the attitude amongst ourselves, the media will be forced to follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I rather think we are stuck with it.

I imagine if you ask ten random people on the street if they know what an E-Cig is most of them will say yes. If you asked the same 10 people what an APV or Advanced Personal Vaporizer is, the will give you a blank stare except for some of the older ones that will think of the things that you set beside your bed to produce steam when you have a head cold.

Hell, some people still call copying machines "Xerox's"

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Agreed.

These things tend to stick, and if the media can drum up additional drama by keeping the word "cig" or "cigarette" fresh in everyone's minds, I doubt it's going to go away anytime soon. It doesn't make much sense to basically call these devices an electronic miniature cigar, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Ari

ecigdotcom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I'd say stick with it... For obvious reasons lol

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But Vape has been a top word of 2014, isn't it? People need time to get to know it I think.
Is the word of the year "Vape" a verb? I vape, you vape, he she or they vape. What should we call the device we vape with?

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
as far as the OP question goes when people ask me what im "smoking" i say electronic cigarette. sounds more professional and doesnt make them look at me like im doing something illegal if i say personal vaporizer. one could also call it a penis, personal electronic nicotine intake system

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The wordsmiths at Oxford Dictionaries think the trend is so significant that they've named "vape" the word of 2014.
The meaning of the word is, "to inhale or exhale the vapor produced by an electronic cigarette or similar device." It originated as an abbreviation of the terms vapor and vaporize.

smoke free vapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
As far as the things need to be concerned is that oxford dictionary has added the term vape in its list. So going for vape sounds more standard.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't mind the term electronic cigarette. When smokers ask about my sigelei I tell them it's a high end electronic cigarette . They then know exactly what its used for and are amazed because all they have really seen are the ones in the gas stations or Blu commercials. Then they usually say
something like "wow, that may actually work". Also " personal vaporiser" may be associated with other substances.

Reuven Tenam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A men Brotha

THIS is an e-cig
2153b61e83f7135a71acdb75c6f813ba.jpg

which im sure most of us dont use.

THIS is a personal Vaping device
8783da85ad12d728fee423cb88aeae1f.jpg

Using the term "e-cig" associates vaping with cigarettes and that is not at all what we're about. Maybe if we change the attitude amongst ourselves, the media will be forced to follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Someone should show a box mod as well Now that's 2015 vaping

Last edited by a moderator:

Smokeybear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I always just called the skinny ones Vape Pens made sense to me. Plus E-cigs does sound dumb i didn't quit regular cigs to smoke e-cigs.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i just call them my sucky thingies.
don't judge....i am very literal.

As with what some of the things others have said, I do believe we are stuck with the term "e-cig" as it has deeply rooted itself since the beginning.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
While we are at it, can we BAN the word "steep"? It's AGE, not steep!

Buy a dictionary dangit!

Full Definition of STEEP

transitive verb

: to soak in a liquid at a temperature under the boiling point (as for softening, bleaching, or extracting an essence)

: to cover with or plunge into a liquid (as in bathing, rinsing, or soaking)

: to saturate with or subject thoroughly to (some strong or pervading influence) <practices steeped in tradition>

intransitive verb

: to undergo the process of soaking in a liquid

trapdaddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I rather think we are stuck with it.

I imagine if you ask ten random people on the street if they know what an E-Cig is most of them will say yes. If you asked the same 10 people what an APV or Advanced Personal Vaporizer is, the will give you a blank stare except for some of the older ones that will think of the things that you set beside your bed to produce steam when you have a head cold.

Hell, some people still call copying machines "Xerox's"
When I explain mine to people, I tell them its a "Vape Mod" and not an E-Cig! Most all "E-Cigs" are made by big tobacco, Vape Mods are not and do not contain the same ingredients, so, I don't see why they should be called an "E-Cig when in fact they are different! Just my opinion :)

I believe that e-cig is sort of a derogative term for us to be complying with or even supporting. I think we should change directions away from using e-cig as it ties us down to being related to tobacco which is the last thing our community needs. For instance at my University smoking is not permitted on campus and because of the ignorance of some people vaping is to even though it is not stated in the tobacco policy that the University has put ou. We need to bring people into the community who do and do not vape in order to diversify our selves and make stronger connections with other communities. If we accomplish this I think, with time, people will be able differentiate us between smokers and better yet big tobacco companies. There is a fallacy that others have been following by grouping us up with tobacco products or companies because we are different!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe that e-cig is sort of a derogative term for us to be complying with or even supporting. I think we should change directions away from using e-cig as it ties us down to being related to tobacco which is the last thing our community needs. For instance at my University smoking is not permitted on campus and because of the ignorance of some people vaping is to even though it is not stated in the tobacco policy that the University has put ou. We need to bring people into the community who do and do not vape in order to diversify our selves and make stronger connections with other communities. If we accomplish this I think, with time, people will be able differentiate us between smokers and better yet big tobacco companies. There is a fallacy that others have been following by grouping us up with tobacco products or companies because we are different!
I call mine a life choice. It comes with many other choices. It is a focus device. But most of all, it keeps me from punching some as hole out because I was smoking.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The co manager walks over by my friends car as we are all visiting and says " Oh, you guys are doing hookah sticks haha, I thought you were doing something else "
annnnd ill pretend like you never said that.
tumblr_meszm15ahF1rmsm0zo1_500.gif

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Where the hell is your school, nazi Germany?

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the term "personal vaporizer" or PV. It's accurate. If someone's sharp they may ask what you put in there, though most just assume nic. It's a good opportunity to define "eliquid:"

0.4% nicotine I mixed at home with vegetable glycerin for vapor, and a fucking badass recipe of food flavorings. *sunglasses*

It's fairly straightforward to address the media scare points that I've at least tried to address with my rig and juice mixing most scary stuff avoided and unknowns minimized with quality products and reputable sources.

Last edited:
I have to agree with him E-Cigs has got to go as a seller (I personally know this) we are being censored against by the term E-Cig on eBay "where allot of people buyfrom" they will delete your listings if you have the words: Innokin, Sigelei, Aspire, or Smok, these are the products I sold there and now can't because those companies use the term E-Cigerette in their website and eBay has the "No Tobacco Policy" which they lump e-cigs into
I like to try and give all my buyers the best product I can get and the most popular ones too which are usually from one of those above mentioned companies
I don't know what term we could use but already the backlash from the PC people are coming after the vaporers and treating us like the Big Tobacco people which is exactly who I was trying to escape from when I started vaping
It's much better for us physically and financially to vape and the taste is much..much..better. lol
I hope you will find me at. wwvapes.com

queenrilly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You guys are hilarious. I call it my vape (noun) lol, I'm vaping on my vape.. When I talk to my parents I switch between vape and e-cig so it's easier for them, because like a PP said people are used to those things at gas stations that don't help. To find devices I started out googling "Personal vaporizer" and "vaporizer" but all you find are devices for inhaling dried things and get directed to high times magazine a lot. it was a headache.
nicotine vaporizer maybe? Ending halfway off topic: "hookah pen" drives me crazy because I see all the flavors of juice labeled hookah with 0mg lol. Like I want that flavor, make it in a 6 NOW haha ;) plus I relate hookah to teenagers who want to be 'cool' before they're allowed to drink. I actually enjoy hookah but it's sad that you can feel so ancient in your 20s, there was a time when i was 22-23 and went to a hookah bar full of like probably not legal to even hookah, teenagers.
I feel the same way with vaping in public, my friend's 18 y/o gf had/has a vape so I really saw it as a young people thing, I think that's probably another reason to keep it having 'cig' in the name 'officially', because minors are... dumb... and devices are fantastically AWESOME to the point of "Ahhh that's so cool i have to have it!!!!!!!!!". As a young person and a parent I can see why people are afraid of kids getting hooked on vaping and why they should mostly be used for people who are ex/trying to be ex cigarette smokers.

Peter Shukin

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's a tobacco cessation device! I have 100s of dollars in box mods, rebuildables ect, but in the end, I'm 15 months smoke free after 40 years of smoking. In the end, that's what really counts....

The word e cigarette needs to stop being used by everyone and referred to as vaporizer, vaping, or mod. Society is persecuting the vaping community only because the word "cigarette" is being used in E-Cigarette. Any other word or phrase could have been used like e-shit or p-hole, just anything but the word ie-cigarette and nobody in the world would have reacted the way they did and it wouldn't even be an issue right now but when most people just hear the word "cigarette", they immediately over react like the world is coming to an end and everyone is going to die because tobacco is the only thing that is killing people all over the world. So anything with the word "cigarette" in it should be removèd from the vaping community's vocabulary and everything that is vaping related.

Callipleura

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Controlling the words do matter... I don't think there is really much question about that. Business, marketing, governments, political movements do it because it is effective (for the right reasons and for the wrong ones).

Big tobacco companies and their vape products need a word/slang to identify them though - hopefully some type of dirty word to tip everybody off that you are dealing with these companies - just in their vape product lines (hardware or liquid) - and you should stay away from them if you can or at least so I can... lol! It could also be good that the media knows that the "grassroots" vaping community see them as different and that the big tobacco companies are moving in to try and take control - that two different things are going on and they are not the same thing and do not share the same goals. Thus the special word for them.

I have only been smoke free for a month but it seems to me though in the short time I have been vaping that it is the grassroots nature of DIY liquid making that is the important thing to control for yourself, know and understand. As long as the 4 base ingredients are freely available and there is enough know how - vaping could remain free from all the business practices that are sure to come down the road. I already get bad vibes from the "indy" commercial liquid market.

But ya, eCig... lol... iPhone, eCommerce, etc... drop the vowels as soon enough they become the norm. Dropping the vowel on eCig won't work to well. Trendy marketing nonsense - remember the good old day's when there was the:
sWheel = Stone Wheel
wWheel = Wood Wheel
rWheel = Rubber Wheel

VU Sponsors