Become a Patron!

Can I vape at a lower wattage than mesh coil recommendation?

I'm new to vaping and started to stop smoking four weeks ago. I started with a Joyetech Penguin and stopped cigs completely within three days and haven't looked back.

Yesterday I bought a Vaper Storm Puma mod with a Falcon King tank from my local vape shop. I really like it and am happy not to be replacing ceramic coils every 24 hours like I was on the Penguin. The coil that came installed is an M mesh dual coil with a recommended 70-80 watt setting but it's just so hot and almost too flavorful (like it's spitting juice onto my tongue). Not to mention it's blowing through juice so fast.

I watched some videos to see if it was okay to turn down the wattage and I changed it to 40. I like the temperature there and I'm not watching my juice empty out with every hit. But THEN I read on this site that it's not good to set the coils at a lower temp, that it can decrease the longevity of the coils. I'm so confused.

Please help me understand. Is it okay for me to use a lower (or half) the recommended wattage on the Falcon King dual mesh coils? Thank you!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hiya PMarie. :cheers: Welcome to VU and congradulations on quitting the stinkies. Stay with it !
You can run it at whatever wattage you like. The recommended that manufacturers put on their coils is just what they think. But everyone is different so what you like is what matters, and to not smoke. You should actually get more life from running it at lower than what they think the wattage should be. :)

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm new to vaping and started to stop smoking four weeks ago. I started with a Joyetech Penguin and stopped cigs completely within three days and haven't looked back.

Yesterday I bought a Vaper Storm Puma mod with a Falcon King tank from my local vape shop. I really like it and am happy not to be replacing ceramic coils every 24 hours like I was on the Penguin. The coil that came installed is an M mesh dual coil with a recommended 70-80 watt setting but it's just so hot and almost too flavorful (like it's spitting juice onto my tongue). Not to mention it's blowing through juice so fast.

I watched some videos to see if it was okay to turn down the wattage and I changed it to 40. I like the temperature there and I'm not watching my juice empty out with every hit. But THEN I read on this site that it's not good to set the coils at a lower temp, that it can decrease the longevity of the coils. I'm so confused.

Please help me understand. Is it okay for me to use a lower (or half) the recommended wattage on the Falcon King dual mesh coils? Thank you!
I don't think it will be a huge issue. Worst case scenario, try it with one coil and see if the coil degrades faster. But I don't believe it will. I'll be curious to hear your results. Glad to see you off the stinkies and welcome to VU

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. It seems like they would not burn out faster in my mind but I'm still learning. I'll keep you posted and tell you how long this one lasts. I do use a dessert flavored vape so I understand that can gunk the metal up.

Can't I just use a q-tip and wipe them off regularly, in between filling my tank, to keep them clean, for longevity?

Also, if anyone uses the dual coil over the single coil mesh tanks, is there a difference in how quickly I'll use juice? For instance, will the single NOT guzzle as much as a double? I'm happy to pay for the supplies as long as I'm not smoking and it's so tasty. Just want to make it as economical as possible. Thanks again!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. It seems like they would not burn out faster in my mind but I'm still learning. I'll keep you posted and tell you how long this one lasts. I do use a dessert flavored vape so I understand that can gunk the metal up.

Can't I just use a q-tip and wipe them off regularly, in between filling my tank, to keep them clean, for longevity?

Also, if anyone uses the dual coil over the single coil mesh tanks, is there a difference in how quickly I'll use juice? For instance, will the single NOT guzzle as much as a double? I'm happy to pay for the supplies as long as I'm not smoking and it's so tasty. Just want to make it as economical as possible. Thanks again!
I don't see what the q-tip would hurt. I think in general, the more coils the more juice gets vaporized but it has to do with what coils and how much power is used, to determine that. Mainly, your asking questions, which is great that your not assuming anything.
If your not getting juice online, you can save some there. As wells as coils and most of the rest of gear. I get premium juice for under $10/120ml.
If you want to get real frugal, a rebuildable atomizer. A premade coil can last a month or so and 6-8 months of wick is like 5 bucks.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Hello and welcome to VU.
The Falcon King can use the full line of Falcon coils. You can run below recommended wattage, just watch for leaking from the airflow. This sometimes happens because you aren't burning enough juice off the coil and the juice will seep out when warm. You may find the F2 (not mesh) coil suits you better.

I decided to switch to the single coil tonight and see how I like it. I also switched the bubble glass to the straight glass. It took forever for me to figure the order in which to screw things back together. If I put it together without the glass but with a primed coil, it acknowledged I had a new coil on. When I put the glass on, it kept saying "check atomizer". This went on over and over until I figured out that I have to go in this order from the bottom up: Mod, connection to bottom of tank, glass and atomizer, then top part. I was screwing the atomizer into the top first to make things easier and then screwing that into the bottom, then onto the mod. Apparently it doesn't like it this way.

All fixed now and I dig the single hole. It feels more like the Penguin I started on, not so much at once!

101vape

VU Vendor Employee
VU Vendor Employee
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Adding my two cents and yes, this is all on your preference. You can definitely vape at lower wattage. I just would be careful about vaping at a higher wattage than recommended.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I was running smok v2 coils under the recommended. No issues.
I realy liked the k4 coils. They are quad coils.

PMarie,
I have the same exact issue. I google search lead me to Vaping Underground where I found your topic.
I have been using e-cigs for sometime. They helped me quit tobacco for good. I wanted to take the next step and lower my nic even more (and make some clouds), so I went to a local vape shop. I wanted a good setup but not something I would regret buying and want to upgrade a few months later. They hooked me up with an Innokin Proton and the Falcon King. So I get home, charge my batteries, study up on the mod while I wait 4+ hours on the batteries. I set the wattage at the recommended 80w for the M Dual coils, take a hit....and it burned the crap out of me! I thought, "how on earth do people do this?" That led to to the same question as you, can I run the coils lower that what is suggested by the manufacturer ? I too cranked mine down to 40w. It's a night and day difference. I can actually enjoy it and not burn my lip. I'm new to this too and still learning. I thought it was cool that we had the same experience and reading your responses helped me too. I'm glad I found my way here.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
PMarie,
I have the same exact issue. I google search lead me to Vaping Underground where I found your topic.
I have been using e-cigs for sometime. They helped me quit tobacco for good. I wanted to take the next step and lower my nic even more (and make some clouds), so I went to a local vape shop. I wanted a good setup but not something I would regret buying and want to upgrade a few months later. They hooked me up with an Innokin Proton and the Falcon King. So I get home, charge my batteries, study up on the mod while I wait 4+ hours on the batteries. I set the wattage at the recommended 80w for the M Dual coils, take a hit....and it burned the crap out of me! I thought, "how on earth do people do this?" That led to to the same question as you, can I run the coils lower that what is suggested by the manufacturer ? I too cranked mine down to 40w. It's a night and day difference. I can actually enjoy it and not burn my lip. I'm new to this too and still learning. I thought it was cool that we had the same experience and reading your responses helped me too. I'm glad I found my way here.
If u r running at higher wattage it has to be a direct lung hit or it just wont work well. My wife is still on ciggs a cant do dl hits to save her life.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know you've already gotten answers to your question but I just wanted to say hello and welcome to VU.

Thanks for your response. I figure if I'm experiencing something, I'm not the only one. I originally got the mesh coils and when I went to order on the site I use, they only offered the wire coils and I like them so much better. I can go up to 55 w, seems to be working best for clouds, flavor, temperature and there is very minimal spit back. I was very close to buying an anti-spitback mouth piece but now I don't have to.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
An rda and building your own coils is by far the best for clouds n flav

Imo

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for your response. I figure if I'm experiencing something, I'm not the only one. I originally got the mesh coils and when I went to order on the site I use, they only offered the wire coils and I like them so much better. I can go up to 55 w, seems to be working best for clouds, flavor, temperature and there is very minimal spit back. I was very close to buying an anti-spitback mouth piece but now I don't have to.

Ya know, vaping is so subjective there is no real answer. The coil ratings are there as guidelines. Sure, a lot of people my fine the most satisfaction vaping in those ranges but not all. Easiest way is to start low and work your way up until the vape pleases you.

VU Sponsors