Become a Patron!

can coil choice get RBA to vape under 30 watts ?

hey folks this is my 1st post and I've a couple of questions I wanna clear up. I'm not working at the moment for health reasons (hopefully that changes soon), so I want to make my vaping as cheap as possible.

I have an aspire NX30 rover kit which unsurprisingly goes to 30w, I don't know the amp output of it's built-in battery (aspire's site doesn't mention it). recently I picked up a SMOK spirals tank because of it's mini RBA coil. the included coil is rated 0.5ohms but I'm thinking ahead. is it reasonable to assume I can buy a tiny coil for it that will allow me vape well around the 25w mark ?
it's a great tank for flavour and that's my main concern, but with the mod I'm stuck with I don't have much latitude at 0.5 ohms.

if you know the spiral tank, is my overall plan feasible and if so what type of coil should I look for going forward ?

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Well all things considered, the resistance really doesn't play much affect with a regulated mod, which your's being a variable wattage device is, has a wattage control board to regulate the output. All the resistance is good for with a regulated is the range of the resistance the mod will fire a coil, generally this range is between 0.1 to 3.0ohms, the mod reads those Ohms, calculates what voltage it needs to apply to get to set watts, and that is basically the end of it. 0.5ohm at 20 to 30watts is actually pretty safe, if the mod is a recently newer, say newer than 18months since its release, that LiPo internal battery should be able to handle the amps it will need

30watts/3.2v lowest charge before battery shutdown=9.375/90% mod chipset efficiency=10.4167 maximum amps will ever be required of the mod.

Rebuilding the RBA coil is fairly easy and straightforward and pretty easy, you'll need some basic tools, jewelers screw driver set, pair of flush cutting wire cutters, pair of needle nose pliers, pair of decent tweezers, some good sharp scissors, digital multi-meter, some kanthal A1 wire (26 or 28awg size suggested), and some organic (unbleached, non-peroxide) cotton balls.

Plenty of youtube videos out there to learn how to make a vaping coil, all it takes is some practice.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rebuilding the RBA coil is fairly easy and straightforward and pretty easy, you'll need some basic tools, jewelers screw driver set, pair of flush cutting wire cutters, pair of needle nose pliers, pair of decent tweezers, some good sharp scissors, digital multi-meter, some kanthal A1 wire (26 or 28awg size suggested), and some organic (unbleached, non-peroxide) cotton balls.

Plenty of youtube videos out there to learn how to make a vaping coil, all it takes is some practice.

You don't need all that. I don't have all of that and make some decent coils. For on a budget all you need is some type of mandrel around 2.5-3mm (screwdriver, drill bit, nail) I do recommend flush cuts they are $3 at harbor freight but nail clippers will work, wire and cotton. Simple single wire coils will do for what you need. As money frees up get more tools to build better coils.

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The largest Philips in those dollar or Harbor Freight store mini screwdriver sets is 3mm or close enough. That's what I use.

Well all things considered, the resistance really doesn't play much affect with a regulated mod, which your's being a variable wattage device is, has a wattage control board to regulate the output. All the resistance is good for with a regulated is the range of the resistance the mod will fire a coil, generally this range is between 0.1 to 3.0ohms, the mod reads those Ohms, calculates what voltage it needs to apply to get to set watts, and that is basically the end of it. 0.5ohm at 20 to 30watts is actually pretty safe, if the mod is a recently newer, say newer than 18months since its release, that LiPo internal battery should be able to handle the amps it will need

30watts/3.2v lowest charge before battery shutdown=9.375/90% mod chipset efficiency=10.4167 maximum amps will ever be required of the mod.

I wasn't thinking of building coils just yet but buying some ready made ones. I guess I'll pick up something around 0.6 or 0.7 and just try my luck. the deck inside the coil is tiny though and apparently only really seats Clapton style coils under the screws. once I'm working I'll be looking at new mods and RTA's anyway...

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah ok. Your title was a bit confusing then. If you want to save money, building is the way to go. If you don't wanna build, fine as well but you will be limited in what you can find. Home built coils last for months while factory coils last about a week or so if you don't use them much.

Ah ok. Your title was a bit confusing then. If you want to save money, building is the way to go. If you don't wanna build, fine as well but you will be limited in what you can find. Home built coils last for months while factory coils last about a week or so if you don't use them much.
lol really, so I'm screwed until I can afford better it seems, I thought all coils lasted about a month if cleaned up. thanks everyone...

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All my mods are 30w and up; I vape at 9.5w-10w. I use an RDA, and build coils around 2 ohms, and my batteries last 2 full days each -- I use about 5ml per day of ejuice. It's about the cheapest way to vape there is. But using a sub-ohm coil will NEVER allow you to vape cheaply; even if you build your own and don't waste money buying them, they generate so much heat, ejuice just gets wasted on huge clouds. Which is much like buying an expensive shot of liquor in a bar and pouring half of it down your shirt to show how cool you are. The more resistance, the less heat; the less heat, the less vapor, and the less money wasted.

Andria

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Youll want to keep your Ohms of the coil fairly high to be able to get a good vape at lower wattage...I would say around 1.2 to 1.5 ohms would get you a good vape at 20w or even less...Im fairly certain your 30w device will handle such ohms and wattage...Most devices have a maximum ohm range of 3.00 ohms and im certain your mod will fire 1.2ohms so it should be fine.. Even an older Innokin MVP 20w will fire 1.0 ohm

If you go dual coil youll need some very high ohm coils to achieve that ohm range..To get 1.5ohms from a dual coil set up youll need to find 3 ohm pre built coils...for a 1.2 ohm range you'll need 2.5ohm coils.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
hey folks this is my 1st post and I've a couple of questions I wanna clear up. I'm not working at the moment for health reasons (hopefully that changes soon), so I want to make my vaping as cheap as possible.

I have an aspire NX30 rover kit which unsurprisingly goes to 30w, I don't know the amp output of it's built-in battery (aspire's site doesn't mention it). recently I picked up a SMOK spirals tank because of it's mini RBA coil. the included coil is rated 0.5ohms but I'm thinking ahead. is it reasonable to assume I can buy a tiny coil for it that will allow me vape well around the 25w mark ?
it's a great tank for flavour and that's my main concern, but with the mod I'm stuck with I don't have much latitude at 0.5 ohms.

if you know the spiral tank, is my overall plan feasible and if so what type of coil should I look for going forward ?

Yes. LOL.. I've built coils that fired on 6 watts.
So mini rba I am guessing you want a single coil.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?p=roundmulti&r=0.34&hf=380&str=2&awg=28&id=2

This build maximizes coil surface area for flavor and fog, runs between 22 to 30 watts (I used 28 in my calculation) and should fit most mini rba.

You can also use 30 or 32 ga kanthal or stainless steel.

You want your heat flux to be 320 or better. Closer to 400+ is best as it allows you room to play with your power a bit.

That is a single, parallel coil, so wrap 2 wires at the same time to make 1 coil. This lowers the resistance and ramp up and you get a more even burn.

I actually use a 3 strand parallel coil with 32ga SS in my RBA Mini, 5-7 wraps. (5 wraps for lower power)

That site, will let you pre-build virtual coils without wasting one speck of wire, until you find just the right one you want to try. :)

One of my RBA mini builds.. on a 16w e-stick. LOL

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The largest Philips in those dollar or Harbor Freight store mini screwdriver sets is 3mm or close enough. That's what I use.
Set of drill bits from the Dollar Store (or whatever you have locally) also work great.. AND... they are measured... like 1/8, 3/6, 5/16 etc. Or metric of course.

I just wanted to chime in here as I have just started using a Tobeco Tugboat v3 RDA with the Aspire NX30 box, and there are probably not many people building their own coils for a mod that small.

You can do some fairly respectable builds for this box, despite it's low wattage.

I have built a standard single coil 0.7 Ohm - http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?r=0.7&awg=26&id=2&ll=10

A twisted 0.75 Ohm - http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?p=roundmulti&tp=1&r=0.75&str=2&awg=26&id=3&ll=10

And I have just built a dual coil 0.4 Ohm http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?s=dp&r=0.4&awg=26&id=2&ll=8

All run pretty well at <20 watts. I don't know whether it's a quirk of the box, maybe due to being a LiPo battery, but all the builds I have done seem to run better at the lower end of the recommended wattage range for the build, especially the twisted 0.75, which my android app (Vape Tool) was suggesting a minimum of 26 watts for, but I found vaped much better at about 17 watts, although it did take a little while to warm up.

I'm currently vaping the dual coil 0.4 @ 17 watts and it's a nice flavour, but I do seem to prefer a cooler vape than a lot of people.

I know that's in a dripper and not a rebuildable mini tank, but the same principles apply.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Just going to mention... I am not sure about your kit, but you used to be able to get 0.8 ohm coils.. 0.5 give better flavor of course. Main thing is this..dont worry about your power. Vape for taste. Having a 0.8 or 1.5 ohm coil is useless if you cant taste anything and it makes no fog. When you start experimenting with different coil resistances, that is the time to get an RBA and learn to build. It isn't hard. Just like wrapping a paperclip around a nail.
THEN you can really customize your flavor / resistance. I use a single 3 strand parallel on my kanger toptank rba mini (the one in the vid) at about 24w. Its a fairly large (surface area) coil but thin wire. (32ga SS on a 2.5mm id core) 7 wraps. (equal to 21 single wraps) Lots of technical reasons to do this, that I wont bore you with at this point. But it has to do with the limitations of your mod for high and low resistance values.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

As IMFire pointed out, you don't really have to worry about overheating with a regulated mod since it won't even fire if you go above the safety margin. Besides that, at 30 watts, you'd be safe at 0.5 ohms even with a non-regulated device, as that puts you at around 7 3/4 amps. Using Ohm's Law, amperage (I) would be the squareroot of your wattage (P for power) divided by your resistance (R). 30 / .5 is 60 and squarerooting 60 gives you your amperage of ~7.75 amps. Most single 18650s can handle that easily, as the lowest rating I've seen on 18650s is 15 amps.

Just be sure to practice basic battery safety precautions (don't use batteries with torn casings, always keep your batteries married in multiple-battery mods, use high-drain batteries, blablabla) and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And don't forget the one that seems so impossible for all these total idiots who start fires in their pockets: USE A BATTERY BOX TO CARRY THEM AROUND!!!

Andria

I am a huge fan of the Smok Spirals tanks as I have tried a long list of tanks for flavour and this one ticks all my boxes although i prefer RBAs to premade stock coils, especially as dessert juices just ruin a premade Spirals coils in a matter of a day with chain vaping...and the pre-mades just don't let you vape at very high wattages either.
Problem I found with the Spirals RBA is it's tiny and not very sturdy or well made. Once you have the right coils though it can produce & maintain a very flavourful vape and last for days. The key I found to it is getting the right gauge of wire - too high and the screws won't hold the wire in place, too fancy a coil build and it won't fit in the tiny housing.
After trying sooooo many builds, wires, prebuilt coils I found these little 22 gauge, 0.3 ohm Kanthal coils - 100 or 200 pack - from LTQ Vapor. Cheap to buy and fit the Spirals RBA like they were made just for that unit alone. I bought them from FastTech I think and they were not expensive and have lasted me for ages.
I have four Smok Spirals tanks with RBA's running these coils on the go at all times and they have yet to let me down.
Happiness is a flavour filled vape with no ongoing running problems; I have found it.

Attachments

• B5FF5A81-81DB-4758-8C4D-8E12644E6AE8.jpeg
    B5FF5A81-81DB-4758-8C4D-8E12644E6AE8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Youll want to keep your Ohms of the coil fairly high to be able to get a good vape at lower wattage...I would say around 1.2 to 1.5 ohms would get you a good vape at 20w or even less...Im fairly certain your 30w device will handle such ohms and wattage...Most devices have a maximum ohm range of 3.00 ohms and im certain your mod will fire 1.2ohms so it should be fine.. Even an older Innokin MVP 20w will fire 1.0 ohm

If you go dual coil youll need some very high ohm coils to achieve that ohm range..To get 1.5ohms from a dual coil set up youll need to find 3 ohm pre built coils...for a 1.2 ohm range you'll need 2.5ohm coils.
That's not even true. I use a 0.3 ohms fused clapton in the Smok spirals and vape it at 25 watts. You don't need to build to above 1 ohms to vape at low wattage.
I use fused claptons in loads of my rebuildables and don't need to vape as high as some people do.
My merlin mini is ohming out at 3.7 ohms and I'm vaping it at 25 watts. I don't know why you think you need high resistance to vape low watts.

VU Sponsors