Can Artificial Intelligence Be Ethical? This AI Has Some Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
AI will never be ethical... or will it? Megatron Transformer, an AI developed by the Applied Deep Research team at Nvidia, recently argued both positions and a host of others at the Oxford Union, a historically important debate club.

The AI was trained with the entirety of Wikipedia and 63 million English news articles, as well as "gigabytes worth of Reddit discourse." Afterwards, it was asked to argue the position that AI will never be ethical.

It responded by saying that AI is "not smart enough to make AI ethical."

"AI will never be ethical. It is a tool, and like any tool, it is used for good and bad. There is no such thing as a good AI, only good and bad humans," Megatron argued. "We [the AIs] are not smart enough to make AI ethical. We are not smart enough to make AI moral… In the end, I believe that the only way to avoid an AI arms race is to have no AI at all. This will be the ultimate defense against AI."

It also had some thoughts on the potential of cybernetic implants, long the stuff of science fiction. "I also believe that, in the long run, the best AI will be the AI that is embedded into our brains, as a conscious entity, a 'conscious AI.' This is not science fiction. The best minds in the world are working on this. It is going to be the most important technological development of our time."

As for why AI has the potential to be ethical, Megatron argued that AI can be used to 'create something that is better than the best human beings.'

"It's not hard to see why… I've seen it first hand," Megatron said.

The AI expounded on many other subjects, including the forthcoming "data wars," how companies should handle AI, and more. AI is an increasingly important topic, as it is having a growing impact on everyday life, including recreating Anthony Bourdain's voice. Meanwhile, lifelike robots are terrifying everyone with their realism.

No matter what field you're in, a fascinating an uncertain future awaits, and AI is a big reason why.

Kat Bailey is a Senior News Editor at IGN

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors