Become a Patron!

Calling Out A Sellers Price

Is it ok to call out a seller on a high priced item?

• Yes I have a responsibility to the community

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Nope. It's up to the buyer to do research

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just wondering what everyone thought about calling out a sellers price on a forum like this one. Do you think it's appropriate to post a comment regarding the price or link to a better deal?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well -- as my signature says, the buyer should do their research. HOWEVER, there's nothing wrong with posting cost effective alternatives and saying that you found it cheaper. (I can't click both of the vote buttons)

The one thing that I've seen done by a select few ppls here is they will "harass" a seller at every possible chance they get about their "expensive" {insert item here} to the point it starts to piss off the seller and arguments start in the threads. I don't think that is the right thing to do either.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was just wondering what everyone thought about calling out a sellers price on a forum like this one. Do you think it's appropriate to post a comment regarding the price or link to a better deal?
What I do is just destroy them in the thread if the price is not within 10% of a known on-line average it usually works and they go away their are many people on here that play this game of fucking the community as they buddy up surely this is more about some moral compass then anything just use your judgment their are known offenders as well that do it over and over and over and no matter what you do or say they will do it its quite disturbing because that surely was not claimed premise of this forum.. this is surely my opinion after several years

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
There are plenty of sellers for you to buy from, and no reason to call them out when you have so many choices where to buy. Some sellers are smaller then others, and have to charge more because they buy less at a higher price or buy from a jobber at a higher price rather then the MFG.

8669i5EEAAA2770849107.jpg

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree and commenting on the post is just being an asshole about it.

Look it up. If it's too expensive and YOU ACTUALLY WANT IT, send a PM and ask them. Or move on and let it be.

They do not have a responsibility to explain to you why what they are selling is expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If there is something you're interested in buying, just ask about it on the board. there are plenty of people here that will tell you where they got a good deal on it, and share coupon codes with you if the vendor has one.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't troll!
Just PM THE BUYER OR THE SELLER
THATS WHAT I DO LOLS

finger-pointing-down-animation-gif_zpsrzmlt8ot.gif

bs_zpsmi7zryml.gif

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can honestly say ive noticed quite a few on line vendors with ridiculous pricing for some items....Im finding more and more USA vendors with better pricing now a days...If I see a ridiculous price I just move on..Usually ill see a stupid price on one item but a great deal on a different item from the same place.

These are some deals ive found in the USA and made purchases on

Laisimo L1 $44.95
Joyetech Cuboid 150w $29.99
IPV5 $29.99
IPVD3S $19.99

Just shop around, Deals are there for sure.

Now if its someone in hardware selling an item used for more than what you can find something for new, then I would inform a possible buyer to shop around a little more.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting responses. I personally don't do it.

I was in a shop the other day and some guy was buying a evic VTC mini with a tron tank and battery for $89.99 and it got me thinking about this topic.

So here's a follow up question... for those that do chime up, if you were at a B&M and you saw someone about to make the same purchase I witnessed, would you speak up?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Interesting responses. I personally don't do it.

I was in a shop the other day and some guy was buying a evic VTC mini with a tron tank and battery for $89.99 and it got me thinking about this topic.

So here's a follow up question... for those that do chime up, if you were at a B&M and you saw someone about to make the same purchase I witnessed, would you speak up?
I would... and I have.

I've also given the person the website where they can get the better deal.

HOWEVER before I get roasted:::
I've only done it when the B&M was completely gouging the person. One of my good friends from highschool owns a b&m and I'm well aware of overhead and wholesale pricing. If I saw a price difference of say 20-30â„… I would say NOTHING; but, to see a markup of 100â„… is just criminal. I understand also that buying at the b&m for a new vapor that doesn't know a thing is usually a good thing assuming the shop is the type that will spend the time to help them find the right products. That in it of itself is worth the price markup ... Within reason.

When I started I paid damn near 80$ for an mvp2; because, I did not look online first. When I did look on the web and saw 50$ (circa 2012/13) I felt hoodwinked.

I can't stand by and see that happen knowing the person can get the mod, tank and a few bottles of juice instead of just the mod.

I'm also that guy in the shop that teaches new vapors how to shop for batteries, build coils, help them find their way. I feel that we vets who do know what we are doing, should take that knowledge and help those that don't. Some good guys did it for me, and I'm grateful for it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm all for looking out for fellow vapors. If a seller is asking a ridiculous price, I'm all for informing them.

It's hard to sit by and see someone trying to sell a used item for $100 when you know there is a U.S. vendor selling it new for $50

In my opinion, it's all in the delivery...it's best to just post the link to the cheaper new item and ask if it's the same model rather than calling them out as a ripoff artist - unless they are a known con artist, which has happened

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oddly enough I am currently watching a guy on a Facebook trading group getting roasted for attempting to sell a rainbow colored Alien for $149 because of it being a "limited edition"

He is not being seen as very nice right now.
That right there is why I would ask him why his Alien mod is so special. And if someone DOES buy it, know that it is way over priced, then they must have been willing to spend that much to get what THEY REALLY wanted!!! Would I ??? nope -- I would move on.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Oddly enough I am currently watching a guy on a Facebook trading group getting roasted for attempting to sell a rainbow colored Alien for $149 because of it being a "limited edition"

He is not being seen as very nice right now.

I see no reason to keep up an ongoing roast, a simple point-out is enough. :blah:

If it's that special, someone will buy it at his asking price. If not, hope he likes it for what he paid for it

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So here is something that has been happening the past few weeks... I see this because I work at a company that provides VPS (Virtual Private Servers) dirt cheap...

There has been a massive influx of online purchases of some stupid ass tennis shoes (Yeezy or some shit). China people are paying us for 500+ servers and thousands of IP addresses just so that they can spin up proxy servers and purchase these shoes in mass quantity (the vendors will only sell limited # and they are basing it off of the IP address -- the more IPs the more shoes they can purchase.) They are then selling these shoes on ebay for 1000% markup. $800 fucking shoes -- well, some dumb ass is paying for them, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True story though!
I was at vapordna store, the chick was looking at triade200, DNA was selling it at for $149, I said to her
YOU KNOW, you can get that mod for $109 online, at ecig dot com!
She look at me and said
Mind yo own biz please...
I'm my mind I said FUCK YOU BITCH!!
but I just said IM JUST SAYING.. then walked away... LOLZ
Some folks don't mind paying moh, I should've known better, she wouldn't be looking to buy the triade 200 if she wasn't advanced... so that's my re direction of the thread story!!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
True story though!
I was at vapordna store, the chick was looking at triade200, DNA was selling it at for $149, I said to her
She look at me and said
Some folks don't mind paying moh, I should've known better, she wouldn't be looking to buy the triade 200 if she wasn't advanced... so that's my re direction of the thread story!!

many people only want a validation of their decision not logical input so if one says nothing you are a bad guy and if you say something you are the bad guy the next thing to try is just point and laugh!!! this works best

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've seen store employees tell people what sites to buy gear for cheaper.
They figure or did figure- juice is where the money is at; especially, house juice. It's all profit.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've seen store employees tell people what sites to buy gear for cheaper.
They figure or did figure- juice is where the money is at; especially, house juice. It's all profit.

I go enjoy going in and schooling them and making them look dumb its not my agenda but becomes so after they say one fucktard level thing which they all do :)

CJ-3

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
True story though!
She look at me and said

But the way you did it is what is important here.
You made a specific statement where to get it cheaper.
The customer in question said no.
You left it at that instead of turning into an asshat.
You did it correctly.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
But the way you did it is what is important here.
You made a specific statement where to get it cheaper.
The customer in question said no.
You left it at that instead of turning into an asshat.
You did it correctly.
He was having an off day... He's normally an asshat

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Letting fellow vapors rip off fellow vapors because they failed to do the research sounds like a despicable thing to do....what's next refusing to answer their questions and telling them to find the correct info themselves

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The B&M (New Vaper) buyer usually doesn't care too much about price because they can touch it, look at it, and most important have it NOW.

They think you are crazy when you explain to them that they can quit smoking for half price but they are going to have to wait a week for the device to show up in the mail.

But in all honesty if someone can take a dog turd and get someone to believe it was a turd that Jesus let out while being crucified then get some dipshit to buy it for a million dollars who am I to fuck their flow up?

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The B&M (New Vaper) buyer usually doesn't care too much about price because they can touch it, look at it, and most important have it NOW.

They think you are crazy when you explain to them that they can quit smoking for half price but they are going to have to wait a week for the device to show up in the mail.

But in all honesty if someone can take a dog turd and get someone to believe it was a turd that Jesus let out while being crucified then get some dipshit to buy it for a million dollars who am I to fuck their flow up?
This reminds me of the cheeto that recently sold for $100,000 on ebay because is was shaped like Hirambe. Some idiot really paid 100,000 dollars for a fucking cheeto. Some people have to much money.

If i see someone on a online buy/sell forum thread selling something for way more than it should cost. I usually dont say anything because i feel the buyer should do some research first. They had the know how to find an online forum and look in the buy/sell portion of the forum. If they can do that, there is no reason they should not do some research. Sometimes i do see some crazy high prices of used gear. I should scroll past them.

I can see why people speak up for someone thats about to get ripped off. I have no problem with that. Its fine to say something if you see someone about to get ripped off. Some people are just con artists and deserve to be blasted. Its all about how you go about it. Just dont be an ass.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Letting fellow vapors rip off fellow vapors because they failed to do the research sounds like a despicable thing to do....what's next refusing to answer their questions and telling them to find the correct info themselves

I sleep fine at night.

I also don't have moral dilemmas about not speaking up at the Whole Foods, Starbucks or Mortons because you can get produce, coffee and steak all at Walmart for less money.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's hard to sit by and see someone trying to sell a used item for $100 when you know there is a U.S. vendor selling it new for $50

In my opinion, it's all in the delivery...it's best to just post the link to the cheaper new item and ask if it's the same model rather than calling them out as a ripoff artist - unless they are a known con artist, which has happened
this is also a good point
I think it matters on the seller. for someone who is around here a lot you'd expect a good price listed. for someone who is new it's easy for them to not know.

For instance the fuchai 213 plus is on sale on ecig.com for 40 bucks. most of us here know this. most other sites are around 60-80 bucks. so lets say guy goes to his B&M buys it for 90 bucks cause B&M price. Decides he doesn't like it a week later. comes here and says i purchased a week ago for 90 bucks don't really care for it. looking to get 80 bucks shipped. U figure he's gonna spend 5 bucks to ship it so on his mind it's a 15 dollar loss and someone can buy from him for 10 bucks cheaper then he paid cause it's a week old and practically new. But for us, we know we can buy it at half that price new. So I don't think a lot of people intentionally try to gouge here, i think some especially the new people might not know any betetr about sales and online prices as they mostly shop B&Ms

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I sleep fine at night.

I also don't have moral dilemmas about not speaking up at the Whole Foods, Starbucks or Mortons because you can get produce, coffee and steak all at Walmart for less money.
Are you on forums for any of those other places... I only belong to forums dedicated to stuff I care about and like to help if/when I can

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you on forums for any of those other places... I only belong to forums dedicated to stuff I care about and like to help if/when I can

I've pm'd people on the forum about something being over priced and also about potential scammers (anyone remember Floridagolferboi?) but for the most part I keep my mouth shut. Maybe I should reconsider my position.

Edit to add - I have no issues with people speaking up.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've pm'd people on the forum about something being over priced and also about potential scammers (anyone remember Floridagolferboi?) but for the most part I keep my mouth shut. Maybe I should reconsider my position.

Edit to add - I have no issues with people speaking up.
oh man what a shit show that was. i guess we came to the conclusion it was fvckaugust8th or was it not? i can't even remember

VU Sponsors