Bypass mode

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I have a few mods with this feature on but really want to understand how bypass works on a regulated mod

My understanding as of now is

It makes the mod act much like a mech in that it will output available Voltage batteries have left bypassing any bucking or boosting properties

As such should I should treat it using a mechs version of ohms law where resistence of the coil is important

But this is where I get lost because if that was the case it would be putting phenomenal wattage on a series mod?

So let me work this through I'm using the Aspire Speeder 200w max output using the A5 coil in the Athos tank (0.16ohm). It's series 2x 18650 (8.4v)

8.4v batteries in series (let's take away Sag and Voltage drop) and say 7v as working example under load

If it was proportional to the resistence of the coil wattage would be

Voltage x Voltage / resistence

7 x 7 / 0.16 = 306.2W

But that breaches the max output of the mod right? I do know it hits like a truck though at full charge!

When I'm in Voltage mode the max It will let me go is 5.58v with the 0.16ohm coil So that's 194.6w using the above ....bypass is definitely hitting harder though but not by much

So I'm concluding here bypass you are still limited to the mods chip specs and max output settings

Also another thing I want to understand is are things like Short circuit, low battery cut off, shorted atomizer, and low atomizer resistance Definitely still enabled in bypass mode?

If so bypass is pretty much a Variable Voltage mode on a regulated mod that tracks the battery life and power diminishes over time instead of trying to maintain wattage

but I do wonder how amp draw works here do I still use the low battery cut off as the highest amp drain or full charge for bypass mode?...I'm assuming at the moment it's low battery cut off still

What do other people think?

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bypass turns the mod into a protected Unregulated mod.... all the protections of the PCB no control over voltage output.... ALL mods regardless of type ONLY output volts.

You have VW protection without the controls.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Bypass turns the mod into a protected Unregulated mod.... all the protections of the PCB no control over voltage output.... ALL mods regardless of type ONLY output volts.

You have VW protection without the controls.

Thanks Honda after I did this post later in the day I did spot it maxed out at 5.59v so mod is limiting Voltage output as per the board max output which answers that! (Also explains why I'm feeling it gives a slightly bigger hit than in VV mode at max albeit very slight)

On the max amp draw side is it also behaving like I'd expect from a typical regulated device (i.e. Max amp draw at low battery cut off) just want that bit clarified if ok:)

Chokeslam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Depends on the mod too apparently. My only experience with bypass mode is on the G Class, and it just pushes a steady 4.2 volts. Kind of stupid in my opinion. It seems like they're trying to simulate a parallel mech, but without taking voltage drop into account.

I'm not sure if any other mods do bypass that way, but they may as well just offer a variable voltage option so you're not limited to one setting.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Depends on the mod too apparently. My only experience with bypass mode is on the G Class, and it just pushes a steady 4.2 volts. Kind of stupid in my opinion. It seems like they're trying to simulate a parallel mech, but without taking voltage drop into account.

I'm not sure if any other mods do bypass that way, but they may as well just offer a variable voltage option so you're not limited to one setting.

The Aspire Speeder im using at the moment has all the modes VV,VW, bypass mode, TC, Custom wattage profiles solid performer at the moment on all fronts

When it's in bypass mode at full charge as i said above it's maxing just under the boards allowable output @5.59v

I'll give my YiHi mini Q mini a go see what that does

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Limited to 3.8V on the YiHi mini Q mini

Speeder definitely outperforms on bypass mode made no difference trying a 0.16ohm or 0.22ohm coil either

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bypass on my pico output battery voltage only. .. if battery has 3.7 volts of chrge that's what you get limited by the 25 amp cut off. And all other protection.

VU Sponsors