Burnt Taste #2

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay, so I'm starting to get a little more experience building coils. Nowhere near good, but acceptable. Problem is, EVERY build I make has a burnt taste to it in any RDA I use! Why??? I'm using Lightning Vapes kanthal and Koh Gen Do cotton. I have a Tobeco Turbo V1 RDA on the way from VaporDNA and am hoping to get this right. Any suggestions?

Here are pics of my RDA's and some build pics:

RDAs.jpg

Simple build
New-Build.jpg

Another simple build
GOPCOIL.jpg

Four wire 26g twisted build
Twisted-Coil.jpg

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Also, with only one exception, all of my subtank mini RBA builds are just fine. Only the RDA builds suck.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So are you getting a burnt taste right off the bat even after saturating your freshly wicked coil?

Looking at your builds, the 2nd one looks okay but the 1st and 3rd look like they would benefit from longer tails. However if you getting a burnt taste each and every hit including the first, that probably isn't your issue.

What kind of power are you pushing? You've probably already tried this but I would start pretty low and see if that has any effect.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Now, see? I was thinking the 2nd one needed to be spaced more evenly. Shows what I know, lol. I agree with the longer tails on the cotton.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay, I just did a build to show my process. 22g Kanthal at 0.3Ω, 35 watts on my iStick 50W using a Patriot RDA Clone (I didn't know it was a clone when I bought it). Still harsh, with little vapor. Tried it at 25 watts - hardly any vapor, but a little less harsh. Using a 70V/30P DIY juice that tastes great in my Kanger Subtank Mini.

Coil
DSC_0019-e1441638884682.jpg

Clipped coil
DSC_0020-e1441638857935.jpg

Initial burn-in

After burn-in
DSC_0021-e1441638838467.jpg

Wicked
DSC_0022-e1441638799570.jpg

Tucked (kinda messy)
DSC_0023-e1441638768839.jpg

Juiced
DSC_0024-e1441638725428.jpg

Looks okay, right?

There should be plenty of vapor when I vape this, but there isn't for some reason. Maybe I just have crap RDA's?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oops - fixed it.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so I'm starting to get a little more experience building coils. Nowhere near good, but acceptable. Problem is, EVERY build I make has a burnt taste to it in any RDA I use! Why??? I'm using Lightning Vapes kanthal and Koh Gen Do cotton. I have a Tobeco Turbo V1 RDA on the way from VaporDNA and am hoping to get this right. Any suggestions?

Here are pics of my RDA's and some build pics:

RDAs.jpg

Simple build
New-Build.jpg

Another simple build
GOPCOIL.jpg

Four wire 26g twisted build
Twisted-Coil.jpg
Just curious, but after getting a burnt taste have you pulled the wicks back out and looked for burnt cotton?
No burning or blackness probly means all it needs is to be re-dripped...
f9ca06bacc63d09ff6a99a09bbd4d8b6.jpg

I always try to make sure my cotton is thoroughly soaked before taking that first hit..this is a dual 24g Nichrome build (.22 ohms) I vape around 75-80w..I dripped it good and took three deep lung hits and pulled the cap shown here..
I obey my own 3 hit rule (back to back)
to help avoid those hash dry hits..3 deep lung hits and I re-drip...Tried nickel builds in TC but didn't like it as much as I do this Nichrome build...good luck and I hope you get it figured out..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's what I thought at first, too. But no, they're fully saturated.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to be sure, the coil is exactly lined up with the airhole when you put on the cap? You may need to raise/lower the coil to get it in the right spot.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I thought at first, too. But no, they're fully saturated.
That's a tough one..I keep my builds super simple and use 24g nichrome in both my Dark Horse and Doge RDA's
I like 26g Kanthel in my RTA's like the Mini..I'm not too keen on spending a lot of time with twisted wire and such builds...I used to be addicted to nicotene but now it seems I'm addicted to clouds, and keeping it simple works toward that end, least it does for me, lol

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow, that looks like it should blow your doors off ... very strange. I don't see anything obvious at all.

What is the draw like? Maybe, like Amanda was saying, the airflow is suffering when you replace the top cap.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I'm starting to think it's an airflow problem, too. Gonna try and lower the coil and rewick it a bit lighter.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried the new build with a different juice? Some DIY juices might not play well with a low ohm dripper. If you get the same result from a juice that you know drips well for other people, you could at least rule out the eliquid.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I found a solution. I made the Patriot a dual coil 26g setup with less cotton, and realigned the cotton. Works great now! I'm gonna have to cut back on the nic I put in my DIY juices, though... Yowza!

The other two have crappy airflow, so I'll just use them for taste testing or something at higher resistance levels.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I found a solution. I made the Patriot a dual coil 26g setup with less cotton, and realigned the cotton. Works great now! I'm gonna have to cut back on the nic I put in my DIY juices, though... Yowza!

The other two have crappy airflow, so I'll just use them for taste testing or something at higher resistance levels.

Good news!

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Nice! I always meant to get a Patriot but never managed to. Glad to hear it's working out. I had to drill out a few of my drippers to get decent airflow. Just curious, what nic level were you mixing?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
24mg. I'll keep those for the subtank mini and make new ones for subohming in the Patriot. I also have a Tobeco Turbo V2 on the way.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
With a 22g wire, you'll need more than 35W, to even start heating up the coil properly. With my dual coil 24g 7/6 wrap 2.5mm ID => 0.32 Ohm builds, I usually run between 50W-70W, depending on the juice.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
24mg. I'll keep those for the subtank mini and make new ones for subohming in the Patriot. I also have a Tobeco Turbo V2 on the way.

Holy cow. I didn't know it was possible to subohm 24mg juice. That's some extreme vaping CrazyChef. I sincerely recommend 6mg or less. You'll have to hit it more often, but it'll taste so much better.

MrGrimR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
24mg is way to high for sub ohm vaping unless your taking standard mouth to lung inhales.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here was what I did:

Dual 26g kanthal coils @0.37Ω
DSC_0025.jpg

Heats up evenly

Wicked (still a bit too heavy, but they worked pretty well)
DSC_0028-e1441665481422.jpg

Juiced (a little heavy, but vaped just fine)
DSC_0030-e1441665547912.jpg

Sizzle, sizzle

We got vapor!

Not huge plumes by any means, but satisfying, nonetheless!

Last edited:

VU Sponsors