Become a Patron!

Burnt cotton taste/smell

Hi guys,

my name is Vincent and I'm new to this forum and vaping in general. I just ordered my first mech mod (Sir Lancelot) and RDA (Plumeveil v2) and I've been building coils and wicking for the past week or so.

However, I've yet to get that nice taste and nice vapor everyone is talking about because everytime I build, whether it be single or dual coil, I get a taste/smell of burnt cotton. I did a lot of research and looked at the most obvious explenations like too much cotton, or the cotton that's too tight in my coil, etc. I tried fitting the cotton a bit looser in the coil(s) and tried using less cotton in general, to no avail. It sometimes gets so bad that I can already smell the cotton when I fire the build for the first time (yes my cotton is soaked).

The picture that I added is that of a dual coil build clocking at .32 ohms. Is there something I'm missing/doing wrong? I have a feeling that i'm wicking wrong but I tried about everything and I'm getting upset because I yet have to experience vaping because of this.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• dual coil.jpg
    dual coil.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What kind of cotton are you using? And I don't see an attached picture.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yep, we need more info to help!

Sorry guys I uploaded this from my phone I guess it didn't work properly! Sorry! Using organic wicking cotton frt fasttech (I know it's not the best but I should do till I run out). Pic is uploaded now!!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No pic dude. Just upload it to imgur and use the bbcode, copy and paste said code and pic shows up in post.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just sounds like a wicking problem. Now just need a pic to confirm. It's just all about finding that perfect medium of cotton to use.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just sounds like a wicking problem. Now just need a pic to confirm. It's just all about finding that perfect medium of cotton to use.
I'm wondering if there's a wicking problem caused from a coil that's too small in diameter.

OP- WTF dude? Pics or specs. Come on man. ;)

Edit: didn't realize pics were added up top. Looks like not enough cotton. It should completely fill the inside of the coil without being too tight. Use more wick and try again.

Last edited:
Ok thanks man! Will try again!!! Even when it's not burnt I have a faint (or not so faint) cotton taste in my mouth. Is this also due to the poor wicking?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
wicking is a bitch to get right the first few builds and building a .3 isn't making it any easier to get it right the first time....pushing even .3 type wattage is zapping the juice pretty quick and if you're cotton isn't right even part of it can be drying out on one side of the coil while the other side is wet giving you hell....less cotton can be more...you need a light resistance when pulling cotton threw...too much resistance or if the coil tries to move while you're pulling a coil (thinner wire will try and move a little anyways but with a few wicks you'll figure out the difference)....if you use too little wick the cotton can collapse inside the coil as you're vaping and not make contact with the whole coil and then your vape will suck too....too much cotton and you basically "choke" it and the juice can't feed the coil properly so it can dry out even soaked...sucks, finding balance takes practice.

Also...some cottons can have a "cotton" taste when fresh, I don't know how to explain it...like cotton bacon. Cotton bacon is good cotton but it's got a "clean cotton" taste for the first few drags that goes away rather quickly...if you take more than 5-10 hits and the taste I would try a better cotton like Koga or Go Ken Do or Cotton Bacon and see if that works better whether the fastech stuff is gone or not.

Congrats on making the attempt to vape and welcome to Vaping Underground...I hope this helps a little but it's more meant as passing on wicking info in general. Best Wishes...

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
pushing even .3 type wattage is zapping the juice pretty quick and if you're cotton isn't right even part of it can be drying out on one side of the coil while the other side is wet giving you hell...

Exactly. Try pushing your coils a little bit over to make them center like in the picture. I find it a bit easier to get the wick even on each side when I do center post builds.

http://imgur.com/kYz1Tar

Ok guys. Thanks a lot for all the info! I'll take all this in account and will post here again if I'm successful :D

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hope it works out for you so you can enjoy vaping!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Getting everything dialed in just right takes time. Especially when one of the two power variables is fixed. Let us know and good luck.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was getting that burnt taste and figured out that I was not using enough cotton.... Local vape shop was glad to tutor me and show me proper wicking- but I'm still practicing and learning. Wicking is a bitch to learn and you will eventually get it....

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When re-wicking, I've been using compressed air, to 'fluff' the cotton to a greater volume, within the coil, juicewell. STILL gotta build better coils, fer the 'Hex, mine are a little too hot...and almost the bottom range of volts.They were built of 24 g., six-wrap on a 3/32 mandrel. I have a spare set, to add coil to, or remove, then mount, fire and adjust.

Woody213

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was just getting a burnt taste under my flavor. Hot Leg. Never encountered one till the other day. Try pressing your coils together.

I saw the picture. just as they say less cotton is more, lesser cotton is less. make sure the whole cotton is soaked, the part in the wells and the part in the coils. also, the cotton should be fit into the coil, not drooping out.

I have a question, I'm always getting a burnt taste, my cotton is wet, tank is full, and I turned my wattage down so its not so high.. what am I doing wrong? the cotton in the coil is brown, is it getting burnt? Is the Wattage Still to high?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a question, I'm always getting a burnt taste, my cotton is wet, tank is full, and I turned my wattage down so its not so high.. what am I doing wrong? the cotton in the coil is brown, is it getting burnt? Is the Wattage Still to high?
Sometimes a completely full tank won't wick well. Usually have to leave a decent air bubble. That's a wild ass guess though without more info. What juice ratio, what tank, what coil, what power setting....?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
yeah it's a wicking issue. what tank are you using? your cotton is either too tight or you didn't leave any room for air to escape to allow the cotton to wick

VU Sponsors