Become a Patron!

Building On The Venerable VLS Vector?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Three years hiatus from vaping and I of course forgot the specifics of how I used to build on my favourite RDA: A VLS Vector. So I went searching and found a video that suggested
  • 10 wraps
  • 2mm
  • 26 or 28 ga. Kanthal
  • Aim for 0.3 to 0.5 ohms
After a couple false starts I ended-up with usable coils. Wicked it with Japanese organic cotton. Tried it. Plenty of clouds but it tasted like crap. Old, very old residue. Took at all back apart. Cleaned it even more thoroughly than before. Finally got all the stench out. Put the coils I'd built back in. Re-wicked it. Didn't taste like crap any more. Simply didn't taste like much at all. Rewicked it again, with somewhat larger diameter wicks, but not so long. Thinking maybe larger diameter for more juice delivery and too-long wicks had been blocking airflow. Still: Lots of clouds. Little taste.

Searched some more. Found an old Mike Vapes YT video where he built it with:
  • 6 wraps
  • 3mm
  • 26 ga. Kanthal (said he'd have used 24 ga. if he'd had it)
  • 0.5 ohms
and he claimed he was getting great clouds and fantastic flavour. His wicking was more like my first two tries, where he mostly filled the juice reservoir with wicking material.

What do y'all suggest I try next?

I do have Native Wicks cotton and Elfwick. I don't know as I'm prepared to deal with the vagaries of Elfwick just yet, however.

Btw: What finally got all the old residue and stench out was scrubbing the juice reservoir with a Q-tip and toothpaste, getting into the crevasses with a tooth pick, then dropping all the parts in nearly-boiling water.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Anyone_Anyone.jpg

VU Sponsors