Become a Patron!

Build rec for low wattage high flavor/vapor

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Newer builder and I'm trying to use my recoil on my lavabox for work. I want to use it at work at low wattage no more than 40watts but also want good flavor and vapor production trying to see what gauge and how many wraps to make this possible.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Newer builder and I'm trying to use my recoil on my lavabox for work. I want to use it at work at low wattage no more than 40watts but also want good flavor and vapor production trying to see what gauge and how many wraps to make this possible.

what material are you using for wire?

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm going today to get either Nicrome or kanthal. Not sure what shop has left

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm going today to get either Nicrome or kanthal. Not sure what shop has left

well the material will make a difference to the build. for instance you need much more wattage to fire a .2ohm kenthal build then you would need to fire a .2ohm SS316l build as SS316l has a lower resistance then kenthal and hence less metal used to get that low

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
well the material will make a difference to the build. for instance you need much more wattage to fire a .2ohm kenthal build then you would need to fire a .2ohm SS316l build as SS316l has a lower resistance then kenthal and hence less metal used to get that low
So get ss then. I'm new to all this

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So get ss then. I'm new to all this

not necessarily. it's all preference. I do love SS wire though for 3 reasons
1) Works in temp control and watt modes on most devices
2) Easy to fine premade spools of "fancy" wire
3) Cleaner taste then kenthal IMO

The negatives are
1) Much lower resistance then kenthal (about half so if you did 6 wraps of kenthal, the same gauge SS316L would take 12 wraps to match the Resistance and hence need more watts and an RDA that can fit 12 wrap coils
2) Generally needs more wattage to fire then kenthal due to that lower resistance so worse battery life
3) Has a much lower TCR for TC mode then other TC wires

again a lot is dependent on your builds

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Maybe the best way to go about it is research materials and pick one
then set a "target build" (# of coils, resistance)
Use that to decide what gauge to get of your wire material. order a size up and size down as well for wiggle room.
Build and see how you like it.

It's really hard to give exact advice since there are so many options. every wire type has positives and negatives. If you only want to use around 40 watts, kenthal is probably your best bet, you can build around .5 ohms on a dual coil with 7 wraps and that should fire pretty good at 40 watts in my estimation. I could try and build something like that tonight if you want and hit it at 40 watts and see what I get

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Another important factor is mass.
High mass coils require higher wattage for optimal usage, so for low wattage you should use lower mass coils.
yup, i said it in another thread. more metal = more wattage needed

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i relcommend building .3-.4 or even .5 @ such low wattage...
just curious why dont you want to go over 40watts yet you want vapor production?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
just curious why dont you want to go over 40watts yet you want vapor production?

Sounds like he wants to do that to preserve battery life. He's using a lavabox which has a built in lip IIRC so he has to charge it when it dies. Probably wants it to last him all day

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Because I'm at work 8-16 hrs a day at don't want to carry my bulky mods rather have my single 18650 stealthy mod

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sounds like he wants to do that to preserve battery life. He's using a lavabox which has a built in lip IIRC so he has to charge it when it dies. Probably wants it to last him all day
This isn't the lipo model this runs on one 18650. I did a 26g 8wrap running at 46-47 watts. Hitting good right now lacking a lil flavor but manageable

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
26 ga KA1 5/6 wrap OPEN on 3mm is in my Avocado and Kayfun....I run at 35 watts usually and sometimes crank her to 40. Good flavor.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
19bcce4f9e1346f15a0ad40be730c085.jpg

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
This isn't the lipo model this runs on one 18650. I did a 26g 8wrap running at 46-47 watts. Hitting good right now lacking a lil flavor but manageable

Ah so it's the 75. I just have missed that. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try same thing except in 28G. Higher gauge wire runs hotter so I am positive that your wattage will go down providing similar experience. You can reduce ID for 1/2 or even 1 mm as well if you wanna drop wattage even more. Recoil should be able to provide you with a good Vape with a 2mm ID coils.

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How do you like Recoil? I thank to OhmBoyOC for tutorials on making wire. Like his "fingers and drill" style a lot.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How do you like Recoil? I thank to OhmBoyOC for tutorials on making wire. Like his "fingers and drill" style a lot.
Ehhh not a big fan of the small build deck. I am a fan of the no leaking rda. It's a solid rda that's for sure. Is it worth the money absolutely not. It came as a package with a mod I wanted but not my first choice

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got you. Lots of people feel same way as you do about it. Thank you buddy, you helped me make up my mind:)

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These are kicking ass..... At 60 watts

8 wrap on 5mm drill bit and it's a (4) core alien SS316L SS ohming at .17

IMAG1961_1.jpgIMAG1962_1.jpg

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
26 Gauge is my favourite gauge to work with, and I tend to vape under 40W, usually under 30W. I use either Kanthal or SS 316L, with my SS builds being a bit lower in resistance.

I usually aim for about 0.7-0.8 for single coils with kanthal, duals usually turn out around 0.3 to 0.4 ish. 2MM ID I find is nice for lower wattage, and I find it really depends what tank I am using what I can run my coils at, something like a subtank needs about 18W and works nicely, a dual coil build in another tank like Crius or griffin between 32-40W usually is nice for me.

With SS I do quite a bit of variation in coil size, and generally use it in TC mode.

EDIT: I should add, I generally use RTA's for convenience and find many newer tanks to offer such great flavour I don't drip as often as I used too. Although any smaller, thinner ID coil, with wire that isn't too heavy a gauge will not need much power due to the surface area being heated, so a lower resistance build will need less power with 26G wire due to there being less wraps than say 24G.

Last edited:

Lazy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got some 3 core 32g twisted, wrapped with 40g SS from advanced vape supply. Vaping it right now on an iStick 40 & velocity mini 7 wrap .4 ohm. Fantastic flavor & pretty decent clouds. Can crank it up to 80-90 watts for clouds bro clouds too lol

I was sceptical at first cause the wire is so thin but it performs great at high wattages as well as low watts. I'm used to low Clapton/alien builds at 110+ watts but this vape at 40w is very satisfying to me. Had to test the wire out on an rda but now I'm gonna be using this wire mostly on my rta's & its good to know I can start using my I sticks again.

Best thing about this wire is u can by a 15ft roll for $14. Plus they work really well on tc, if you're into that

VU Sponsors