Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1019460/british-taxpayers-anti-vaping-laws-public-health-england

The word checker had a red underline under "subsidise" and wants me to use "subsidize"
So I checked it out.

I always go out of my way to learn something new every day.

Today I learned that the British spelling is "subsidise" and the American spelling is "subsidize"

Anyway, I agree that scaremongering anti-vaping laws shouldn't be subsidized by anyone.
No matter who you are or where you are from - 5150

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1019460/british-taxpayers-anti-vaping-laws-public-health-england

The word checker had a red underline under "subsidise" and wants me to use "subsidize"
So I checked it out.

I always go out of my way to learn something new every day.

Today I learned that the British spelling is "subsidise" and the American spelling is "subsidize"

Anyway, I agree that scaremongering anti-vaping laws shouldn't be subsidized by anyone.
No matter who you are or where you are from - 5150

Z is American, but it’s correct and proper to use S in most things ending in “ise” for English...either can be used.

Actually while I’m on this; Americans leave other letters out of words, and butcher our language in other ways...but let’s not go there, I’m certainly no grammar police and “couldn’t” care less” <<ok that particular sentence when said wrong (by inserting the word “could”) makes my eye twitch a little I’ll admit.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, we usurpers have been viewed as the degenerates who have contributed to the degeneration of the King's English. However, I'd like to point out that since you haven't had a King in a long fucking time, all sense of proprietary sensibility has been relegated to the linguistic dustbin. It just wouldn't do to call it the Queen's English, would it? :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yes, we usurpers have been viewed as the degenerates who have contributed to the degeneration of the King's English. However, I'd like to point out that since you haven't had a King in a long fucking time, all sense of proprietary sensibility has been relegated to the linguistic dustbin. It just wouldn't do to call it the Queen's English, would it? :)

I could care less what you say bobnat :giggle:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And I'd like to observe that when I see the word "colour", my mind wants to pronouce it "kuh-LORE", rather than "kuh-ler". It just looks wrong. Ditto for "vapour" -- it looks as if it should be pronounced "vay-POUR" rather than "vay-per". :facepalm:

I'd also like to observe that there are one hell of a lot more of us speaking American English, than could even FIT on that damp island, so neener. :giggle:

Andria

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
And I'd like to observe that when I see the word "colour", my mind wants to pronouce it "kuh-LORE", rather than "kuh-ler". It just looks wrong. Ditto for "vapour" -- it looks as if it should be pronounced "vay-POUR" rather than "vay-per". :facepalm:

I'd also like to observe that there are one hell of a lot more of us speaking American English, than could even FIT on that damp island, so neener. :giggle:

Andria

Ok I’ll bite!......It’s Alu-min-ium not Aloominum

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well.. maybe over THERE is it. Also you guys have apparently eliminated a syllable from a lot of words -- it's "li-BRARY", not "li-bry", "straw-BERRY", not "straw-bry"... :facepalm: Is it really that hard to put the correct number of syllables in those words? ;)

Andria

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria

Perhaps as native speakers, but the there are more people in the world who learn British English. India alone has about 200 million speakers of Indian English which is derived from British English.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Perhaps as native speakers, but the there are more people in the world who learn British English. India alone has about 200 million speakers of Indian English which is derived from British English.

Yeah don’t know what to say Bob computers have launguage defaults try picking the right one for once ...it’s literally one click away ;)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Well.. maybe over THERE is it. Also you guys have apparently eliminated a syllable from a lot of words -- it's "li-BRARY", not "li-bry", "straw-BERRY", not "straw-bry"... :facepalm: Is it really that hard to put the correct number of syllables in those words? ;)

Andria

Depends what part of the country youre in Andra ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Depends what part of the country youre in Andra ;)

Eh, maybe so. It's just something I noticed since we've been watching (bingeing!) on Outlander. Which is kinda funny actually; the lead actress (Caitriona Balfe) is actually Irish... but she's playing an english girl, so she speaks that "King's English" like crazy. :giggle: We've had to turn on subtitles for that show, though; my son and I can pretty much understand spoken british english (except London, either posh or cockney, I can't make heads nor tails of -- I only got about 1/4 of the old show AbFab, but even that bit was hysterical), but my husband can't, and none of us is very good at deciphering the scottish brogue.

Here's a weirdness I've wondered about for a long time, but I think it's just an individual quirk -- when Ozzy Osbourne sings, he enunciates very clearly... yet he talks like he's got a mouthful of marbles and thick oatmeal at the same time. He's from the Midlands I think, the industrial area.

Andria

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Eh, maybe so. It's just something I noticed since we've been watching (bingeing!) on Outlander. Which is kinda funny actually; the lead actress (Caitriona Balfe) is actually Irish... but she's playing an english girl, so she speaks that "King's English" like crazy. :giggle: We've had to turn on subtitles for that show, though; my son and I can pretty much understand spoken british english (except London, either posh or cockney, I can't make heads nor tails of -- I only got about 1/4 of the old show AbFab, but even that bit was hysterical), but my husband can't, and none of us is very good at deciphering the scottish brogue.

Here's a weirdness I've wondered about for a long time, but I think it's just an individual quirk -- when Ozzy Osbourne sings, he enunciates very clearly... yet he talks like he's got a mouthful of marbles and thick oatmeal at the same time. He's from the Midlands I think, the industrial area.

Andria

It’s no different here to where you are, there’s regional differences in both verbal and slang terms across all counties ...same applies to Scotland, Ireland and Wales

I have trouble understanding people from the South where you are ...outside of the posh we generally speak faster in conversation that’s probably all it is

and no dick van dyke can’t pull off a cockney it’s laughable ...too shillins for ya guvna ...bahahahaha

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It’s no different here to where you are, there’s regional differences in both verbal and slang terms across all counties ...same applies to Scotland, Ireland and Wales

I have trouble understanding people from the South where you are ...outside of the posh we generally speak faster in conversation that’s probably all it is

and no dick van dyke can’t pull off a cockney it’s laughable ...too shillins for ya guvna ...bahahahaha

I've met some English, especially Geordies, that I found incomprehensible. And I speak with Brits every day.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I always thought the English spoke English first. Therefore; we Americans are the ones that deviated from the original.

We also have more of a blend here in the states. That whole immigration thing and all; which, has only been going on since at least the 15th century. (Longer but that’s another conversation altogether).

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Ummmmm what’s wrong with the way speak in the south? :cuss2::giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I always thought the English spoke English first. Therefore; we Americans are the ones that deviated from the original.

We also have more of a blend here in the states. That whole immigration thing and all; which, has only been going on since at least the 15th century. (Longer but that’s another conversation altogether).

Yep, and the different accents in different parts of the eastern side of the US are directly from whichever folks of the UK got here first -- most folks here in GA say R's, but we have a large population descended from scots and irish, who also say R's. In VA on the other hand, they don't say R's, exactly like the English who first settled it.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I was born and raised in Atlanta, but I've always had very rapid speech -- I was once asked, when I was a waitress at Denny's, if I was from England. I mean... say WHA? :giggle:

Andria

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Nothing haha i don’t mean the “way” you speak I just have trouble with the thickness of the accent and prounanciation of words ...sentences seem to merge its not the whole south by the way ... I can’t place it exactly

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nothing haha i don’t mean the “way” you speak I just have trouble with the thickness of the accent and prounanciation of words ...sentences seem to merge its not the whole south by the way ... I can’t place it exactly
You would probably have a hard time with my “Cajun French” family. I grew up In New Orleans and Bay St Louis; but most of my extended family are all from where they film “swamp People.”
It’s a nice mix of French and English. Most speak French better than English.. lol

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Like the Aussies they too completely transformed the tongue ...find how dialect changes over time really interesting

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
You would probably have a hard time with my “Cajun French” family. I grew up In New Orleans and Bay St Louis; but most of my extended family are all from where they film “swamp People.”
It’s a nice mix of French and English. Most speak French better than English.. lol

Thats funny business. I can understand Cajun French people just fine but have a hard time with my Irish family. I just nod, a lot.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thats funny business. I can understand Cajun French people just fine but have a hard time with my Irish family. I just nod, a lot.
Lmao!!!
I used to do that with one of my cousins... but he’s already special.

VU Sponsors