Become a Patron!

Bookworm Corner - Bibliotheca Alexandrina

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't seem to be any place where people are discussing books, so thought I'd start a thread for any bookworms. Feel free to talk about books you are reading, have read, would like to read, etc. Just please try to keep spoilers to a minimum, or use the spoiler tag. Anything book related is fair game here.

1708311024754.jpeg

1708311068435.jpeg

1708311099270.jpeg

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And with that I'm off to a fantastical land filled with wizards, dragons, mythological creatures, and of course a bookstore called Plato's Cave, all located in a strange land called...St Louis, Missouri???
1708311373204.png

Walter Ladd

Member For 4 Years
I'm about half way thru this one. It is surprisingly very good. unique

Party of One: The Loner's Manifesto​

Anneli Rufus

1708320291291.jpeg
An essential defense of the people the world loves to revile -- the loners -- yet without whom it would be lost

The Buddha. Rene Descartes. Emily Dickinson. Greta Garbo. Bobby Fischer. J. D. Loners, all -- along with as many as 25 percent of the world's population. Loners keep to themselves, and like it that way.

Yet in the press, in films, in folklore, and nearly everywhere one looks, loners are tagged as losers and psychopaths, perverts and pity cases, ogres and mad bombers, elitists and wicked witches. Too often, loners buy into those messages and strive to change, making themselves miserable in the process by hiding their true nature -- and hiding from it. Loners as a group deserve to be reassessed -- to claim their rightful place, rather than be perceived as damaged goods that need to be "fixed."

In Party of One Anneli Rufus--a prize-winning, critically acclaimed writer with talent to burn -- has crafted a morally urgent, historically compelling tour de force -- a long-overdue argument in defense of the loner, then and now. Marshalling a polymath's easy erudition to make her case, assembling evidence from every conceivable arena of culture as well as interviews with experts and loners worldwide and her own acutely calibrated analysis, Rufus rebuts the prevailing notion that aloneness is indistinguishable from loneliness, the fallacy that all of those who are alone don't want to be, and wouldn't be, if only they knew how.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm about half way thru this one. It is surprisingly very good. unique

Party of One: The Loner's Manifesto​

Anneli Rufus

An essential defense of the people the world loves to revile -- the loners -- yet without whom it would be lost

The Buddha. Rene Descartes. Emily Dickinson. Greta Garbo. Bobby Fischer. J. D. Loners, all -- along with as many as 25 percent of the world's population. Loners keep to themselves, and like it that way.

Yet in the press, in films, in folklore, and nearly everywhere one looks, loners are tagged as losers and psychopaths, perverts and pity cases, ogres and mad bombers, elitists and wicked witches. Too often, loners buy into those messages and strive to change, making themselves miserable in the process by hiding their true nature -- and hiding from it. Loners as a group deserve to be reassessed -- to claim their rightful place, rather than be perceived as damaged goods that need to be "fixed."

In Party of One Anneli Rufus--a prize-winning, critically acclaimed writer with talent to burn -- has crafted a morally urgent, historically compelling tour de force -- a long-overdue argument in defense of the loner, then and now. Marshalling a polymath's easy erudition to make her case, assembling evidence from every conceivable arena of culture as well as interviews with experts and loners worldwide and her own acutely calibrated analysis, Rufus rebuts the prevailing notion that aloneness is indistinguishable from loneliness, the fallacy that all of those who are alone don't want to be, and wouldn't be, if only they knew how.
I just looked this one up on Amazon and after seeing a couple of quotes from the book in one of the reviews, it is now on my list.

"FOR LONERS, FRIENDS are all the more essential because in many cases they are our sole conduits to the outside world. They are channels, filters, valves, rivers from the outback to the sea. When we find good ones, we pour ourselves into them."

That sounds so much like me.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For most of my life I read at least a book a week. Then came the internet era, and reading online, not books but tons and tons of articles, information, blogs, took that over, then podcasts became my go-to passive learning outlet. I hardly ever pick up a book anymore. I read "Love in the time of Cholera" under 2020 lockdowns. I think that was my last book.

But during the final couple of years at my old office, before I started working at home, my boss belonged to some kind of reading club, and when she finished her expensive new hardbacks, she handed them off to me. In turn I handed off to her my clean second hand paperback books.

Here are a few from that exchange:

Cane River - Lalita Tademy
About the transition from slavery to freedom after the civil war, when oppression found a new methodology. The narrator of the story speaks of how even the census deliberately consigned free black people to society's lowest rung, listing them all as "colored, laborer" when often it should have said "educated", "business owner" and/or other possible categories.

Paulo Coelho
Years previously I read his book "By the River Piedra I sat down and Wept". My boss gave me his later book "The Witch of Portobello", and I gave her my copy of "By the River Piedra". We both agreed Coelho had a peculiar way of ending his books, rather nonchalantly, even cynically, making you feel like you woke up from a dream, and needn't think anymore about what you'd read. Other than that, we enjoyed his stories.

Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison - Piper Kerman
A woman is nabbed on a 10 year old drug charge, is convicted, and goes to federal prison for a year. All I can say is, it had surprises, humor, sadness, and it was very good.

Room - Emma Donoghue
I'd be surprised if this wasn't made into a movie. I woman is imprisoned for years in an airless room by a psychopath who rapes her every day. She gets pregnant and has a child, but keeps him hidden until he's too big to be hidden anymore. She's afraid if her psychopath discovers the boy, he'll kill him. A very sad, poignant story.

The internet brings about meltdown of high demand religions. There was an explosion of "did you know" blogs and discussions, as people began leaving their faiths in droves, which involves more than just not attending services anymore. In a high demand religion your whole family may shun you. You can lose your job. In some instances you run the risk of losing your children. These were some books on that subject the boss & I traded:

Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots - Deborah Feldman
Cut Me Loose: Sin and Salvation After My Ultra-Orthodox Girlhood - Leah Vincent
I Am Forbidden: A Novel - Anouk Markovits
The Romance Reader - Pearl Abraham

Boss' books tended to be the newer publications. Mine were usually older, since I bought them as I found them by serendipity at thrift shops, pawn shops, garage sales, etc. I still will never walk into a retail book store and pay 22.50 or more for a new hardback book, no matter how great a best seller it is.

Our Africa phase:

What is the What - Valentino Achak Deng, Dave Eggars
I don't know why Dave Eggars is the author name on the cover. He basically ghost wrote for Valentino Achak Deng, one of the "Lost Boys" who had to flee his Sudanese village during civil war, or NWO attack, who really knows... Lines of boys grew longer and longer on the trek, as more joined them at every turn. The thing I will always remember is that his village was Christianized, and the children were taught never to engage in "superstitious" ancestor worship. At one farm where they are able to stop and rest for a couple of days before having to get on the run again, the wife of the farmer blesses them as they go, saying "My children, our ancestors will watch over you and keep you from harm. Listen when their spirits speak to you". Deng did eventually make it to the US where he settled, not without a crap ton of trauma to overcome.

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier - Ishmael Beah
I don't remember what country he was from. I'm thinking Sierra Leone, but he was nabbed by the army as a child barely big enough to hold an AK47, and forced into child soldiery. What will a child do, forced to become a killer, given amphetamines every day, other than go mad? When he was finally able to break free of his situation, his rehabilitation was long and difficult.

Those are a few, by no means my best ever reads, but it was nice to remember "book club" with my old boss. I was in a "movie club" with a co-worker too, with whom I traded DVD's.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One more post for today.

These are books I have bought over and over again, to give as gifts:

Rumi: The Big Red Book
Because of this one verse:
Out beyond all ideas of wrong doing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.

The Dieter's Guide to Weight Loss During Sex - Richard Smith

The Book of Bunny Suicides - Andy Riley
Interest sparked by the "Suicide Bunny" vape juice

Mexican Day of the Dead An Anthology - Chloe Sayer
A beautiful little book of many photos and accounts of the meaning, practices and art of this holiday in Mexico.

Sweet and Sugar Free: An All Natural Fruit-Sweetened Dessert Cookbook - Karen E Barkie
It's about cooking without sugar, honey, maple syrup, molasses or anything that can cause trouble for people with blood sugar issues, and without artificial sweeteners either. It's about cooking with fruit juice and/or fruit puree, resulting in delicious desserts that can be enjoyed by everyone at the table. I still have a copy of it

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is one I wouldn't mind reading again, but I no longer own it. All you have to do is ask about a book on my shelf that interests you. If I've read it, you can have it, so this one is gone.

The Isthmus Zapotecs: A Matrifocal Culture of Mexico - Beverly Newbold Chinas

So how can a society be considered matrifocal when marriage is an important rite, when virginity is valued in single women, when men go forth and work while women stay home and raise children? It was a tricky theory for the author to document, but as it turns out, at least until the time the book was written and probably beyond and still, the Zapotec women were the owners of the businesses, the shops, the property, the bank accounts. They grow the food or preside over the farming of it. The men take it to market and stand at the tables selling it. When women lose their husbands to old age or disease or whatever, there is a tendency for widows to move in together as couples, not because they are gay but because it is another way to "marry" and combine resources to ward off poverty and loneliness. This book is commonly found in the reading lists for womens studies classes.

1709268455255.png

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So many things to say, and so little time to say it this past week. I was a voracious reader when I was young, but as an adult it is a habit I fell out of for a long time. I basically rediscovered my love of reading simply because a few years ago I found myself with little else to occupy me time.

Sadly I tend to use most of my reading time on fiction, only occasionally reading anything for the purpose of learning. But there are certainly some good suggestions in this thread that I will be looking into.

I developed a love for science fiction and fantasy at a very young age. I was reading Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, Tolkien, Stephen R Donaldson, all before I was probably 11 or 12.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sadly I tend to use most of my reading time on fiction, only occasionally reading anything for the purpose of learning. But there are certainly some good suggestions in this thread that I will be looking into.

I don't think that's sad at all. Fiction is a vehicle for ideas, information, philosophy, humor, history, all made more palatable or relatable by telling a story. Especially science fiction is very often a form of philosophy, a logical prediction of the future as outcome of what goes on today.

Since a co-worker at the old brick & mortar spoke of it, I've been looking for a science fiction story of a future time when technology becomes outlawed because it is being used for the destruction of mankind and all creatures, the destruction of the planet, yet the liars who make money perpetrating it use language to convince the unaware that it is good for them. I don't remember the title or author, hence don't know how to look for the book.

Aren't we there now?

But if you quote fiction as fact, people will just say "that's fiction man". That doesn't matter. It gives you a launching place for doing the real research on a subject.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Jesus Dynasty: The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family, and the Birth of Christianity - James D Tabor

I'm not really religious, though I do believe the good religions are looking for "it", that secret of dealing with the vagaries of imperfect life, human meanness, illness and injury, loss, poverty, death, how to be our best selves, how to be in the world, what our relationships are about. When I handed this book off to my boss with whom I traded books, she said "sure I want to read it. I've read all of the theories, that Jesus never existed, that Jesus was a magician, Jesus was the new sacrificial god like the old pagan ones, that Jesus was gay, that Jesus was Elvis".

When Judea was under brutal Roman control, why is it so far fetched that people believed their redeemer would be a powerful new king from the Davidic royal line? Why else did the three kings come, bringing gifts? Why else did Herod slaughter all the Hebrew male infants born in the kingdom that year? Yes, Jesus was largely rejected in his time and place, just as people of our own country today will turn away from the values of our constitution that were handed to us by forefathers who fought hard for them, risked imprisonment for them, died for them. Jesus knew his doom but acted anyway with the time he had, as better than doing nothing with the time he had, all the while saying "I never said I was the king, others have said it". Kicking the money changers out of the temple, the sermon on the mount, his main teaching was that we live in the kingdom of God already, regardless of the little caesars bearing down on us, regardless of the puppet kings serving as minions to the little caesars, that perfection exists for us to choose to step into. After reading this book, I believe that Jesus' message was that the power we lack is the power within ourselves that we ignore out of fear (or cowardice), out of apathy, out of preoccupation. A very interesting read that sparked my thinking on Christianity more than anything else I read or was taught before that.

1709387428186.png

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if there are any Fantasy lovers out there, but if anyone enjoys books with some twisted humor (though sometimes sophomoric) and a non-heroic main character, filled with some unexpected twists, numerous pop culture references, and scenes that will make you feel like you have been on an emotional roller coaster ride at times, then I highly recommend Shayne Silvers books set in the "Templeverse" which consists of three different series that all intertwine to some degree.
The Nate Temple Series
Feathers and Fire
The Phantom Queen Diaries

The place to start is the book I mentioned in my first post, Obsidian Son. My brief spoiler free (meaning it doesn't contain anything that isn't given away by the book cover) synopsis is below.

If you happen to be a successful bookstore owner in Saint Louis, skilled at acquiring rare and unusual books, and you happen to come from one of the oldest and wealthiest families in town, and you have a reputation in the media as a playboy who engaged in various shenanigans in your youth, what do you do when your parents die suddenly and mysteriously? Well, if you are Nate Temple you go cow tipping naturally. Of course if you keep the type of secret that Nate and his family have kept for generations, the cow in question might just be a creature out of Greek mythology.

But with a total eclipse coming and visitors gathering in his city to witness the event, Nate soon discovers that St Louis has developed "a reptile dysfunction" and in order to cure it he will have to put his investigation into his parents death on hold and might reveal his secret. St Louis and the world might soon learn that magic is very real because in St Louis there be dragons and it will take all of Nates cunning and wizardly skills to figure out what they are up to.

Now to give a clue as to who Nate is, a couple of lines from the book, with potential spoilers redacted.

“Word around town says you deal in antiquities. Is this true?”
****** hesitated, glancing at the ground in relief. “Says whom?”
“Who,” I corrected, turning back.
“Irrelevant,” he muttered.
That rankled me. “It is not irrelevant. It’s paramount! The rules of grammar are just as important as the rules of engagement in war. Without them, we are barbarians,” I argued.

“I’ve already told you that you have my word, but it’s just a book. Why the secrecy?” The words sounded hollow even to me. Books were not always just books. I’ve cracked a deadly spine once or twice in my day.
Like Twilight. Now that was deadly. The series had managed to turn normal adolescent girls into raving, hormone-filled psychopaths, intent on dating vampires, and no one would ever knowingly do something that stupid.

Paperback and buckram books decorated the floor, torn open to leave loose pages lying about like the useless guts of an eviscerated animal. Fury smoldered deep down inside my stomach, as if I were looking at heaps of dead children lying about the room instead of destroyed books. Books were my children. This was sacrilegious.

My thoughts drifted to Raven entering my store a couple nights ago, and I felt my anger rising. “She pissed me off by destroying a treasured tome.”
“Did you just say the word tome?” he asked, barely containing his laughter.
“It’s what an educated man calls those heavy collections of bound paper with strange symbols inside. Some of them even have pictures, but those aren’t usually called tomes.”

The final excerpt needs a bit of explanation, but is still mostly spoiler free. Nate is confronting an enemy, in enemy territory, outnumbered and outgunned. So he is looking for the right moment to put his hastily concocted, fly by the seat of his pants plan into motion. At this point a woman named Tatiana enters, leading two young red dragons, who then go to their master's side:

Misha tensed beside me, her hand rising as if to beckon them. They shot her icy, hateful stares but remained beside *****.
I heard the faintest of whispers from Misha, her voice raw with grief. “My babies…”
My heart broke. “You die first, Tatiana." I promised, and I meant it.
“So, it seems we each have a traitor in our midst,” ***** said. “Yours—*****…even biting the hand that feeds him,” ***** added the last with a growl. “And mine—my own son who chose to abandon his familial duties.” ***** turned away from the two traitors and looked me in the eye. “So, who dies first?” he asked with a cruel grin—expecting the choice to cause me pain.
I couldn’t have asked for a better line. “Thought you would never ask.” I drew the pistol tucked into the back of my pants and shot Tatiana directly in the forehead.
The room was silent as a tomb as I casually re-holstered my weapon. ***** finally turned to me, his face utterly blank.
“I already told you,” I said with a cool shrug. “She dies first.”

Oh, wait, one more, because I can't leave the bloodthirsty, rainbow hating unicorn out of this.

I drew deep on my power and called up my ace-in-the-hole. I whispered the name with every ounce of my will, and he answered my call.
Grimm.
Black lightning struck the edge of the room. Thick, black smoke billowed into the room like fog, but pinpoint silver hooves emerged from that shifting darkness—as well as a set of blazing, fiery eyes. Silver blue fire trailed the clip-clop of horse hooves as he slowly materialized. He neighed—a sound both feral and hungry—freezing the marrow in my bones. His barbed horn seemed to glow in anticipation of the blood he craved. Everyone stopped to look, confused and frightened.
My little pony knew how to make an entrance.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sue Monk Kidd

She was a contributing editor to the magazine "Guideposts" before writing her first book, "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine", which was a non-fiction account of her faith journey. The inspiration for the book was stopping into a drugstore where her daughter had a part time job, just to say hi on her way home. When Kidd arrived, the daughter was kneeling on the floor, stocking a low shelf. She heard a man say to his buddy, "right there, that's the way I like to see women, on their knees".

She wrote her story with humor, including how her supportive, loving husband and children let themselves be dragged into this and that sampling of faiths other than her previously lifelong traditional one. She finally said, look you don't have to do what I do. Find your truth and hold onto it.

Then she started writing fiction. Her first novel was "The Secret Life of Bees", about an abused child who runs away from home to find the people her late mother hung with. There among those friends, sisters who own a successful honey farm, she finds peace, work, and her own road to happiness.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a used bookstore near me, the type of place where you go to browse rather than looking for a specific book. This doesn't begin to show the scope of the store, but it does provide a bit of an idea about the layout and why you go there without anything specific in mind.
1709493613044.jpeg

1709493634429.jpeg

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The place is called Erasmus Books, named for the Dutch Theologian and philosopher from the 1400/1500 timeframe. While browsing a ran across a book about Erasmus, it appears to have been written possibly as a textbook? Anyway, since I was in a bookstore named after him, I figured I should learn a bit more about him. $6.50 at this bookstore, or alternately $58 from Amazon. I love used bookstores.

Here are today's purchases, just because they caught my eye.
1709494317600.jpeg

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sue Monk Kidd

She was a contributing editor to the magazine "Guideposts" before writing her first book, "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine", which was a non-fiction account of her faith journey. The inspiration for the book was stopping into a drugstore where her daughter had a part time job, just to say hi on her way home. When Kidd arrived, the daughter was kneeling on the floor, stocking a low shelf. She heard a man say to his buddy, "right there, that's the way I like to see women, on their knees".

She wrote her story with humor, including how her supportive, loving husband and children let themselves be dragged into this and that sampling of faiths other than her previously lifelong traditional one. She finally said, look you don't have to do what I do. Find your truth and hold onto it.

Then she started writing fiction. Her first novel was "The Secret Life of Bees", about an abused child who runs away from home to find the people her late mother hung with. There among those friends, sisters who own a successful honey farm, she finds peace, work, and her own road to happiness.
And I saw one of her books, The Invention of Wings at Erasmus. Hardcover edition, like new. Thought about buying it, but decided I was already getting enough for the day. If it had been paperback I might have.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The place is called Erasmus Books, named for the Dutch Theologian and philosopher from the 1400/1500 timeframe. While browsing a ran across a book about Erasmus, it appears to have been written possibly as a textbook? Anyway, since I was in a bookstore named after him, I figured I should learn a bit more about him. $6.50 at this bookstore, or alternately $58 from Amazon. I love used bookstores.

Here are today's purchases, just because they caught my eye.

Me too, love a used book store.

Looks like a great haul.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1709609033842.png

OK, Nate Temple Book 2 - Blood Debts
First, a little more about Nate, this time in the author's own words:

The Nate Temple Series—A warning

Nate Temple starts out with everything most people could ever wish for—money, magic, and notoriety. He’s a local celebrity in St. Louis, Missouri—even if the fact that he’s a wizard is still a secret to the world at large.

Nate is also a bit of a…well, let’s call a spade a spade. He can be a mouthy, smart-assed jerk. Like the infamous Sherlock Holmes, I specifically chose to give Nate glaring character flaws to overcome rather than making him a chivalrous Good Samaritan. He’s a black hat wizard, an antihero—and you are now his partner in crime. He is going to make a ton of mistakes. And like a buddy cop movie, you are more than welcome to yell, laugh and curse at your new partner as you ride along together through the deadly streets of St. Louis.

Despite Nate’s flaws, there’s also something endearing about him…You soon catch whispers of a firm moral code buried deep under all his snark and arrogance. A diamond waiting to be polished. And you, the esteemed reader, will soon find yourself laughing at things you really shouldn’t be laughing at. It’s part of Nate’s charm. Call it his magic…

So don’t take yourself, or any of the characters in my world, too seriously. Life is too short for that nonsense.

Silvers, Shayne. The Nate Temple Series
Argento Publishing, LLC. Kindle Edition.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now my description of Blood Debts:

An Angel, a wizard, and a Horseman of the Apocalypse walked into a bar and all Hell broke loose.

Nate Temple recently inherited billions of dollars, a sprawling estate with a 17,000 sq ft mansion that's over 200 years old, and became, reluctantly, the CEO of the tech firm his parents built. He has a smart, intelligent girlfriend and loyal friends. Everything should be great, right?

But he is sleep deprived due to night terrors that have plagued him since the dragon situation, his efforts to uncover information on the deaths of his parents have been fruitless, and he has yet to find a way to access the Armory that his parents hid in the depths of Temple Industries, a cache of magical artifacts they had 'acquired' and hidden away and which may have been tied to their deaths.

And he is about to have a very bad series of days. First an Angel 'suggests' he stop looking for answers about his parents. Next the Wizard Academy sends their Justices to demand something he isn't willing to hand over. Then Demons start running amok in St Louis.

With his friends all inconveniently out of town he soon finds himself alone, penniless, a fugitive, and if that wasn't bad enough his wizard powers are fading fast due to a curse. But he's sworn a Blood Debt to get vengeance for his parents murders, and he is determined to protect the Armory and his city or to die trying. And with no resources and dwindling powers, the 'die trying' part seems likely.

Unless he can find a way to cheat Death himself. Sometimes a wizard has to play the Tarot cards he's been dealt.

Walter Ladd

Member For 4 Years
1709618935710.jpeg
The quest for social justice is a powerful crusade of our time, with an appeal to many different people, for many different reasons. But those who use the same words do not always present the same meanings. Clarifying those meanings is the first step toward finding out what we agree on and disagree on. From there, it is largely a question of what the facts are. Social Justice Fallacies reveals how many things that are thought to be true simply cannot stand up to documented facts, which are often the opposite of what is widely believed.

However attractive the social justice vision, the crucial question is whether the social justice agenda will get us to the fulfillment of that vision. History shows that the social justice agenda has often led in the opposite direction, sometimes with catastrophic consequences.

I just finished this book. A wise brilliant man wrote this. Very informative read. There is a great interview of Sowell at the age of 93 here: https://www.hoover.org/research/consequences-matter-thomas-sowell-social-justice-fallacies

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think that's sad at all. Fiction is a vehicle for ideas, information, philosophy, humor, history, all made more palatable or relatable by telling a story. Especially science fiction is very often a form of philosophy, a logical prediction of the future as outcome of what goes on today.

Since a co-worker at the old brick & mortar spoke of it, I've been looking for a science fiction story of a future time when technology becomes outlawed because it is being used for the destruction of mankind and all creatures, the destruction of the planet, yet the liars who make money perpetrating it use language to convince the unaware that it is good for them. I don't remember the title or author, hence don't know how to look for the book.

Aren't we there now?

But if you quote fiction as fact, people will just say "that's fiction man". That doesn't matter. It gives you a launching place for doing the real research on a subject.
I've been trying to come up with an idea of what book this might be, but so far I'm drawing a blank. There are many sci-fi stories where technology is shunned, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one that fits this description.

The Butlerian Jihad, an event that serves as a backstory to Frank Herbert's classic Dune books, resulted in computers of any type being outlawed, but not technology as a whole. Also, Herbert never went into any significant detail about that event. His son did write a book that covers the Butlerian Jihad, but it is seen by many as not really fitting the vision for the Jihad that Frank Herbert had hinted at in his novels.

"We must negate the machines-that-think. Humans must set their own guidelines. This is not something machines can do. Reasoning depends upon programming, not on hardware, and we are the ultimate program! Our Jihad is a "dump program." We dump the things which destroy us as humans!"

The Jihad did set the stage for the rise in power of some of the groups that would later be important within the Dune novels, but those groups largely relied upon the Spice to maintain their power.

On a side note, Frank Herbert wanted the protagonist, Paul Atreides, to be viewed, not as a hero, but as a tragic character who allowed himself to be corrupted by his desire for vengeance and consequently became as much a villain as the political structure he was fighting against. I haven't yet seen Part 2 of Denis Villeneuve's movie version of Dune, but I hope he captured that better than Lynch did back in 1984.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been trying to come up with an idea of what book this might be, but so far I'm drawing a blank. There are many sci-fi stories where technology is shunned, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one that fits this description.

The Butlerian Jihad, an event that serves as a backstory to Frank Herbert's classic Dune books, resulted in computers of any type being outlawed, but not technology as a whole. Also, Herbert never went into any significant detail about that event. His son did write a book that covers the Butlerian Jihad, but it is seen by many as not really fitting the vision for the Jihad that Frank Herbert had hinted at in his novels.

"We must negate the machines-that-think. Humans must set their own guidelines. This is not something machines can do. Reasoning depends upon programming, not on hardware, and we are the ultimate program! Our Jihad is a "dump program." We dump the things which destroy us as humans!"

The Jihad did set the stage for the rise in power of some of the groups that would later be important within the Dune novels, but those groups largely relied upon the Spice to maintain their power.

On a side note, Frank Herbert wanted the protagonist, Paul Atreides, to be viewed, not as a hero, but as a tragic character who allowed himself to be corrupted by his desire for vengeance and consequently became as much a villain as the political structure he was fighting against. I haven't yet seen Part 2 of Denis Villeneuve's movie version of Dune, but I hope he captured that better than Lynch did back in 1984.

Thank you. When my friend mentioned this particular book, we'd been talking about the "Dune" series, but we were talking also about how sci-fi is a form of philosophy writing. Then he told me about that one I mentioned, in which technology became so evil, so dangerous and harmful, and so widely recognized as such, it was banned, outlawed.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Book-movie or Movie-book

Whenever I read the book first, then see the movie, it always seems the movie isn't nearly as good as the book. The exception to that was "1984".

Bless the Child - Cathy Cash Spellman
I wanted to read this after seeing the movie of the same name. The book was not as engaging, but the movie wasn't really faithful to the book. The movie was about Satan and his earthbound minions pursuing the little girl Cody. The book was about Cody's destiny to deliver "the Isis Message" and the evil attempts to thwart her.

Venus in Furs
This one should be song-movie-book. How many artists have covered Lou Reed's dark song about those "shiny shiny boots of leather, whiplash girlchild in the dark"? Maybe fifty, maybe more. My favorite version is from Steel Pole Bathtub, even better than the original. So then I found a cheap used DVD of Jess Franco's excellent movie of the same title. I really don't recall the subject matter of the film being faithful to the book, which I read later. It wasn't even really faithful to the song. In the movie James Darren plays a musician who finds the dead body of a woman washed to shore in Istanbul. Her ghost returns to avenge her murder and the abuse she'd suffered. Her name was Wanda, about the only reminiscence of the book. That was the long road to finally reading Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's famous book about a man who seeks a woman to make him her slave.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Stories - F Scott Fitzgerald

I read it when I began reluctantly programming jazz radio, with little knowledge of the genre. There were all sorts of theories about where jazz originated, and why it was even called "jazz", and a book of short stories about the earliest jazz age seemed a good place to start. The stories often did mention how jazz came from the laments of "the negro" in earlier times, a theory that was snottily snubbed by a local PhD ethnomusicologist I knew. Then I saw the movie, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", sad, poignant, interesting. In the book it was only a short story. The movie embellished.

Light in the Piazza

First I saw the movie "The Light in the Piazza" which is a great movie on a great subject, 1960's with Olivia De Havilland, Yvette Mimieux, Rossano Brazzi, George Hamilton, about a beautiful young woman whose mental development stopped in childhood when she was kicked in the head by her horse. Nevertheless, Clara is charming, outgoing, and people rarely recognize her retardation immediately. In fact some things come easier to her just as they come more easily to children in general, such as learning to speak Italian, learning Italian folk dancing. On a vacation with her mother in Italy, she meets a handsome young man who falls in love with her. Fabrizio is rather naive himself, and not the world's greatest intellect. The language barrier between Clara and Fabrizio comically covers even more. In spite of deHavilland's attempts to deter Fabrizio's advances, love is inevitable. The greatest line in the movie, from the mom Olivia de Havilland, "Nobody with a dream should come to Italy. No matter how dead and buried you think it is, in Italy it will rise and and walk again". This is one of my favorite movies ever, both frothy and profound. Of cultural interest: In 1962, when this movie was made, the trauma of war was still fresh in Europe, and sad memories of it are frequently expressed in conversations.

So then I looked for and read the short story that inspired the movie, in this collection:

The Light in the Piazza and Other Italian Tales - Elizabeth Spencer

Babette's Feast - Lilly Golden

From a collection of short stories I hunted down and bought because of the movie "Babette's Feast", about a highly rated chef whose clientele in her Paris restaurant was aristocrats, generals and dignitaries. The book covered a little backstory that was omitted from the movie. While serving the highest levels of society in her acclaimed restaurant, Babette was daylighting as an arsonist in the French Revolution. The heart of the story begins when she flees to the coast of Denmark, where two spinster church mouse sisters take her in as their cook. She heals her soul there, cooking for the sisters and the community of elderly church mice they look after.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My Raphael Patai phase

Sarah the Priestess: The First Matriarch Of Genesis - Raphael Patai
The Hebrew Goddess - Raphael Patai, Merlin Stone

From there I sprung to:

When God was a Woman - Merlin Stone
When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm - Layne Redmond
then I bought Layne Redmond's CD, still love it:

1710287166649.png

Onward to:

Goddess of the Americas - Ana Castillo
Our Lady of Guadalupe is dear to my heart. Read enough about her and you come to understand she syncretically covered Tonantzin, the Aztec virgin mother goddess, later acknowledged as the mother of Mexico by one of the Catholic Popes of Rome. The miracle of the roses on her cloak was to tell the peasant Juan Diego, in 1531, "I'm still here. They make statues of me and call me by another name, but I am still Tonantzin and I will never forsake you."

The Woman's Bible: A Classic Feminist Perspective - Elizabeth Cady Stanton - Unbelievable. That woman was a force of nature.

Did God Have A Wife? - William G Dever

The Book of Lilith - Robert G. Brown

The Gospel of Mary Magdalene - Jean-Yves Leloup

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My Oliver Sacks phase.

After I read one of his books, I wanted another and another. Wonderfully compassionate and intelligent man, with the added talent of writing with engaging warmth and humor. His books I read:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat and Other Clinical Tales
Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
An Anthropologist On Mars: Seven Paradoxical Tales

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I bought this one new at Half Price Books when it came out:

The Cheating Culture: Why More Americans Are Doing Wrong to Get Ahead - David Callahan - 2004

It's from the era when it was leaking out and becoming common knowledge that Harvard School of Business was teaching that business ethics was an outmoded concept.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In the category "why are there so many stories like this". Do we have a human need to be punished? Is our sense of guilt so deep that it overrides our impulses to thrive and be happy? Or is it the entanglement of parental discipline with our emerging self rule and the discovery of our sexuality. For me, a real takeaway is that spankings should not be given beyond the age of 7 or 8, if at all. I don't think it's necessary at all to hurt a child to teach a child, but I never was brave enough to have kids so I'm not going to preach to parents.

Though there are earlier things than this, it starts for me with the writings of Marquis de Sade. My dad had the books of Justine and Juliette. It took me a long time to get through them, because dad would steal them back from my room and hide them. Then I'd have to find them again to resume reading. Then in college French lit we studied de Sade a little bit, but his stuff was not required reading. In the end, I don't think he was a sicko. His books were about freedom of speech in an era when colluding church and state could land you in a dungeon for wrong ideas, wrong speech, unorthodoxy, even ridiculous excess. His books were sarcastic, tongue in cheek, outrageously nasty, so they were amusing in a way, but not particularly titillating IMO. DeSade came close to winding up in that dank dungeon, as local authorities tried to prove he was writing about his real life. Gawd.

then

Spanking the Maid - Robert Coover
Heard about it on an NPR interview, read it, boring, as these books are always a bit boring. If the maid doesn't do a perfect job, or her uniform is disheveled, anything imperfect, the master of the house gives her a spanking. So he spanks her every day. She likes it, he likes it. Repetitive, though I know there are fans of the lifestyle and the writing, so these things have their fan base.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 213428
The quest for social justice is a powerful crusade of our time, with an appeal to many different people, for many different reasons. But those who use the same words do not always present the same meanings. Clarifying those meanings is the first step toward finding out what we agree on and disagree on. From there, it is largely a question of what the facts are. Social Justice Fallacies reveals how many things that are thought to be true simply cannot stand up to documented facts, which are often the opposite of what is widely believed.

However attractive the social justice vision, the crucial question is whether the social justice agenda will get us to the fulfillment of that vision. History shows that the social justice agenda has often led in the opposite direction, sometimes with catastrophic consequences.

I just finished this book. A wise brilliant man wrote this. Very informative read. There is a great interview of Sowell at the age of 93 here: https://www.hoover.org/research/consequences-matter-thomas-sowell-social-justice-fallacies

I listened to the podcast you linked, enjoyed it very much.

More and more his theory is coming out in the open, that social justice activism feeds demagogue politicians, keeps taxes up, keeps hackles up, creates drama for the news media, and doesn't lead to any results that won't occur if we just enforce equal rights under the law, that is, the equal application of the laws of the land to all citizens.

I'm writing as a former activist, but the controversial organization I volunteered with never took Soros money, never compromised its values, was 100 percent member funded, never demonstrated on the grounds of inequality, and always used the tack of teaching low income people to approach their elected so called leaders for the same response to taxpayer concerns as in any other neighborhoods: using bonds already issued to get street flooding fixed, get street lighting repaired, get responsibility from the owners of abandoned houses, use national laws already in place to enforce equal lending based on the financial background of the loan applicant.

Instead we still have crumbling neighborhoods with weedy vacant lots full of trash, children having to go through metal detectors to get into school, minorities making up the highest percentage of federal prison inmates, minority groups having the lowest levels of education, the lowest life expectancy, on and on and on. Now we have the demagogues calling for white self hatred so whites can change places and take on those conditions.

Gah, I write too much. Thanks again for linking that.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never collected graphic novels, and I don't need another habit, but in Emily I found so much to relate to. My adolescent self was something like Emily, though I didn't discover her until long after that time in my life. She had to be in her own world to avoid feeling rejected by everyone else's world. Music was my own world. This was totally me at age 13:

Emily.jpg

Emily was also a bit witchy, though I don't think there was ever any declaration of that, other than her cat named Sabbath Kitty. I, too, had a (good witch) witchy pagan phase, and I'll post those books in this thread later after I finish rounding them all up. It may be time to haul them over to Half Price Books to get a few nickels & dimes for them.

Anyway, Emily started life among Ross Goodman's skateboard graphics, and quickly took on a life of her own. She's had a lot of merch done by Cosmic Debris. I didn't spend money on that, except for her sneakers that left cat paw prints on the floor if you tracked in mud. I was tempted by her backpack that said "Don't stand so close to me", but didn't succumb. I bought a lip gloss in her "poison apple" flavor, and her eyeliner in a cute little black cat face compact, but to me it isn't wasted money merch if you use it all up. And I bought her CD music compilation "Strange Music for Strange People".

So this is the book. I still have it and will keep it:

Chairman of the Bored.JPG

Walter Ladd

Member For 4 Years
1711255984736.jpeg(From Amazon Description):This book is a veritable powerhouse that shatters, in one instant, the wall of lies and deceit that took decades to build upon our impressionable minds. Stamper's ability to explain complex legal and political information in a comprehensive yet concise manner is without equal. Like a master sculptor he has chipped away the 'Words of Art and Deception' to reveal the inescapable and undeniable Truth. This book has single-handedly bared the cleverly crafted schemes of a Power-lusting Elite.~ Paul Nash, DC, ND, CCN, ACU, Holistic Medicine, Minneapolis"If only a portion of what this researcher has discovered is verifiable, we as a nation of free people must hang our heads in shame. The future generations will not forgive us or forget the terrible injustice we have let befall them."~ Fred Diaulas, Professor of Ethics, University of North Florida"In 1954 I began my legal practice as an assistant district attorney in the city of Miami. We switched from common law pleading to statutory pleading and no one asked why. Now I know the answer, and it depresses me to no end."~ Ralph G. Mitchell, JD, Attorney at Law, St. Augustine, Florida.

I just started this one...my hair is starting to stand up. I owe it to myself to try to make sense of how this country got so screwed up. Stamper appears to have studied the problem with a very skilled eye.
I'll update when I finish the book.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 213861(From Amazon Description):This book is a veritable powerhouse that shatters, in one instant, the wall of lies and deceit that took decades to build upon our impressionable minds. Stamper's ability to explain complex legal and political information in a comprehensive yet concise manner is without equal. Like a master sculptor he has chipped away the 'Words of Art and Deception' to reveal the inescapable and undeniable Truth. This book has single-handedly bared the cleverly crafted schemes of a Power-lusting Elite.~ Paul Nash, DC, ND, CCN, ACU, Holistic Medicine, Minneapolis"If only a portion of what this researcher has discovered is verifiable, we as a nation of free people must hang our heads in shame. The future generations will not forgive us or forget the terrible injustice we have let befall them."~ Fred Diaulas, Professor of Ethics, University of North Florida"In 1954 I began my legal practice as an assistant district attorney in the city of Miami. We switched from common law pleading to statutory pleading and no one asked why. Now I know the answer, and it depresses me to no end."~ Ralph G. Mitchell, JD, Attorney at Law, St. Augustine, Florida.

I just started this one...my hair is starting to stand up. I owe it to myself to try to make sense of how this country got so screwed up. Stamper appears to have studied the problem with a very skilled eye.
I'll update when I finish the book.

2008 book, looks interesting.

This comment from Paul Nash in the Amzn description:

"If only a portion of what this researcher has discovered is verifiable, we as a nation of free people must hang our heads in shame. The future generations will not forgive us or forget the terrible injustice we have let befall them."

I hang my head in shame whenever I meet some nice Muslim or Persian person who is just trying to run a restaurant or finish college, knowing how my country has behaved toward their country of origin, accusations and shit we have flung while doing the things we have accused them of.

Your book brings to mind two I have read:

From around 2008, Confessions of an Economic Hit Man (non-fiction), in which John Perkins describes how American multinational corporations rule this world, going into countries and buying off a select few government entities, creating an elite where there was none before, in order to infiltrate, take a country's resources, install policy, and how there are no clear lines between big business and our alphabet intelligence agencies. It still goes on now.

The other book I'm reminded of is because of the title of yours: "The Poisonwood Bible", a novel by Barbara Kingsolver, which describes, through the eyes of the children of missionaries, how, as colonialism began to be defeated in African countries, it was just in time for corporate colonialism, new ways to get African countries' resources with engineered schemes and wars, never to leave Africa in peace and autonomy. A heartbreaking story.

The older I become, the more I realize our country is nothing but a charade of what it was intended to be and once was. It is depressing, and it is scary, as our behavior (or in the case of masses of us, apathy) has, at this very moment, brought us to the brink of nuclear war.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These two books go together, but I didn't read them next to each other. As an adolescent I read "Lolita", Vladimir Nabokov's world famous 1955 novel, one of the most read books in the world. I was too young to fully understand it. It was just a story in a book from my parents' eclectic collection, about a man who marries a woman because of her adorable adolescent daughter. He immediately begins moving on the daughter, makes her his emotional prisoner and his sexual victim, but he believes himself to be the victim of Lolita's charms, and defines her as being in a class of little girls who behave as seductresses. Lolita's mother dies, and Humbert keeps Lolita as his own child wife and his perpetual victim. At some point she gets away from him in her teen years, and makes her own life. When he finds her again some years later, she is abjectly poor, living in a trailer park, in an unhappy relationship with a man she doesn't love. Humbert offers to take her back and make her life better. She firmly rejects him, choosing a harsh life of deprivation over being his victim ever again.

Years later, as an adult, I discovered that two of my childhood friends had been the victims of sexual abuse by their fathers. When one of them finally came out with it to her mother, she was not believed. Perhaps the worst thing about paternal rape (gawd, it's hard to even write that) is not knowing what it is, not really understanding it's wrong, a crime against the child and against nature. Or perhaps the worst thing is not having a sympathetic person you can tell, who will validate your trauma and comfort you. Or maybe the absolute worst is that the offender will never tell you he's sorry, never be punished.

Then in my 30's I read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi, who was a literature professor in Tehran. Her true story was of inviting her best students into her home on a regular basis for a literature salon, where she served them tea and pastries, and they discussed the books she'd assigned them to read. One of those books was "Lolita". Nafisi's own story in her book was in the context of the position of women in the culture of Islamic fundamentalism, and in the milieu of extreme censorship in Iran. During that time her university classes were monitored by male professors, and she was forced to alter her curriculum. This was why she held these private salons in her home.

After "Lolita" has been read and discussed, Nafisi points out to her students that a survey was given some years after the release of Nabokov's novel, asking who was the victim in the story. She notes that the majority of people who responded to the survey felt that Humbert was the victim of a seductive, devious child.

So I think that only now, in the 21st century, are we really getting past that patriarchal notion that the sexual victim has asked for it, caused it herself, and is the one to blame. My heart aches for my friends who were abused by their fathers, for all of the girls who have been robbed of their innocence, deprived of their own discovery of their sexuality on their own terms. I don't know if the revision of "normal" we have experienced in the last few decades will take men any further from that edge of criminality, where female children are such an unbearable temptation. I wonder if it's some throwback biological imperative we don't understand, yet I know there are good men in the world who would never do what was done to the innocent victims I have known.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been rather remiss in getting back to this thread lately, been busy the last few weeks. But I have been reading a rather fascinating book (to me anyway) lately. "Victors and Vanquished: Spanish and Nahua Views of the Conquest of Mexico" is a book which brings together various accounts of the expeditions of Hernán Cortés from the time he first set out from Cuba until his forces defeated the Mexica people at the capital city of Tenochtitlan.

The book does not make any attempt to pass judgement on which accounts are accurate, but rather simply provides some of the accounts with limited commentary to explain the possible motivations of the writers. For example, the letters from Cortés to Spain had political motivations. He needed to obtain the Crowns backing after he violated the orders given to him by Diego Velasquez when the expedition was sponsored by Cuba.

The editor points out the difficulty with indigenous accounts. The Nahua (the various ethnic and political groups that spoke Nahuatl but were not necessarily all part of the Mexica people) had a method of recording history that relied on a combination of pictographic representation, a symbolic rather than alphabetic written language, and an oratory component. Following the conquest nearly all written works were destroyed by the Spanish who believed that they were part of what they saw as the devil worshipping religion practiced by the Nahua.

The primary accounts from the surviving Mexicans and other Nahua groups were gathered by a Spaniard some thirty years later. By this time the indigenous people had been to some degree indoctrinated into Catholicism, so the accounts given may have been tinged to some degree by that fact. Furthermore, many felt that they had been failed by Moctezuma and they may have colored their accounts in order to explain his failure.

The point of the book isn't so much to show determine right or wrong, but rather to compare and contrast the differing viewpoints of the events involved in the actual conquest, a process that took approximately three years. It does not get into colonialization and how the Nahua were changed by it.

I bought this book on a whim when I saw it at a used bookstore, and expected it to be dry and boring, something I would have to slog my way through. I am finding it anything but.

Walter Ladd

Member For 4 Years
You might like: https://archive.org/details/anzascaliforniae04bolt/page/n9/mode/2up
Anza's California Expeditions by Bolton UofC 1930. It is a great read.
I tried to attach a complete PDF but the file is too large. You can DL it from the above link tho.
(note: I owned this, all five volumes but when I moved back in 1985 A jug of antifreeze froze and split open soaking into the box I had the tomes. Ruined 'em. Worth $850 today. Since then I never put books on the floor.)

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been rather remiss in getting back to this thread lately, been busy the last few weeks. But I have been reading a rather fascinating book (to me anyway) lately. "Victors and Vanquished: Spanish and Nahua Views of the Conquest of Mexico" is a book which brings together various accounts of the expeditions of Hernán Cortés from the time he first set out from Cuba until his forces defeated the Mexica people at the capital city of Tenochtitlan.

The book does not make any attempt to pass judgement on which accounts are accurate, but rather simply provides some of the accounts with limited commentary to explain the possible motivations of the writers. For example, the letters from Cortés to Spain had political motivations. He needed to obtain the Crowns backing after he violated the orders given to him by Diego Velasquez when the expedition was sponsored by Cuba.

The editor points out the difficulty with indigenous accounts. The Nahua (the various ethnic and political groups that spoke Nahuatl but were not necessarily all part of the Mexica people) had a method of recording history that relied on a combination of pictographic representation, a symbolic rather than alphabetic written language, and an oratory component. Following the conquest nearly all written works were destroyed by the Spanish who believed that they were part of what they saw as the devil worshipping religion practiced by the Nahua.

The primary accounts from the surviving Mexicans and other Nahua groups were gathered by a Spaniard some thirty years later. By this time the indigenous people had been to some degree indoctrinated into Catholicism, so the accounts given may have been tinged to some degree by that fact. Furthermore, many felt that they had been failed by Moctezuma and they may have colored their accounts in order to explain his failure.

The point of the book isn't so much to show determine right or wrong, but rather to compare and contrast the differing viewpoints of the events involved in the actual conquest, a process that took approximately three years. It does not get into colonialization and how the Nahua were changed by it.

I bought this book on a whim when I saw it at a used bookstore, and expected it to be dry and boring, something I would have to slog my way through. I am finding it anything but.

I'd like to read that. I have several books in that vein, which I keep around to refer back to.

That "indoctrination into Catholicism" often involved putting the natives' feet in fire until they either converted to Christianity or died. The book burning and destruction of other art and artifacts of the native culture has always gone hand in hand with colonial conquests.

That's why, when people think we're under some sort of biblical tribulation currently in our country, I want to say "not in 1930's Europe? Not in the pre-US when the natives couldn't believe how the white devils would never stop arriving? Not in Mexico where natives were robbed of all they had and were tortured until they agreed to be what the Spaniards wanted them to be? Not in the middle east where our defense industry has enriched itself by turning Islamic countries into perpetual enemies?" There was a movie, 1970's I think, "Billy Jack", with the line "Show me any country on this planet where there has always been peace, never any violence or war. You can't".

After reading one book like the one you're describing, many years ago, I was telling a friend, who was born in Mexico and whose family is still there, that I'd been surprised to learn that Aztec languages are still spoken here & there in Mexico and central America. She didn't believe me.

Lately I'm becoming interested in all the breaking theories that the weird art you see all over Mexico, central and South America, documents ancient alien visitors. I've been to the museum of gold in Bogota, where so many of the artifacts seem to indicate a worship or tribute to those aliens now theorized to have been here for this planet's gold, yet were otherwise averse to our climates, air, water, etc.

Bogota Museum of Gold.JPG

VU Sponsors