Become a Patron!

Boiled Egg Patina

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I'm going for something different. While I like a lot of the patinas I see here and around the net, I have no desire to babysit a piece of copper for that long. Not to mention, with a curious 3 yr old roaming around, I didn't want to run the risk of him getting into it while I wasn't looking. So, I started looking for some alternatives. I read about sulfur patinas, and had a light bulb moment. I hate eggs, despise them. Mostly because of that sulfur smell. I wondered if eggs could be used, and sure enough, I eventually stumbled on a tutorial on a jewelry site.

1) Boil some eggs.
2) While the eggs are still hot, put them in a gallon Ziplock baggie and smash the hell out of them.
3) Put your copper in there and let it stew.

There is visible patina after only about 10-15 minutes. I will probably let mine sit for at least a few hours. Here's what the results will (hopefully) look like:

I'll keep ya posted. Yeah, you read that right. My mod is sitting in a Ziplock baggie of smashed eggs LOL.

rugged-rustic-adjustable-ring-with-patina-016-w.jpg

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
People do not realise just how much acid there is in eggs.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Eggs are just...I can't even...OMG the smell...they're so...

EWWWWWWW!!!!
You are the third person I've met that is grossed out by eggs! We eat tons of eggs back home in Scotland.......historically we were not allowed to eat the hens...they belonged to the nobles.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hence the insult "you suck eggs"....a thief would break into the henhouse and make a pin prick in the shell of an egg...suck out the raw egg...then put the empty shell back under the hen.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You are the third person I've met that is grossed out by eggs! We eat tons of eggs back home in Scotland.......historically we were not allowed to eat the hens...they belonged to the nobles.
SCOTTISH EGGS RULE MY UNIVERSE!
images.jpg

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I thought Scots were the first one to make good fried chicken instead of the English way of boiling it.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I thought Scots were the first one to make good fried chicken instead of the English way of boiling it.
We fry everything........some things we cant define (Google "King's Rib")

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Patina update:

I'm boiling up a second batch of eggs to put in a fresh baggie. Patina is looking good. I've had the mod setting out for about an hour, and it's darkened a bit in the natural air. This time, instead of rolling it up with the eggs, I'm just going to stand the mod up inside the baggie and let it fume, surround by a circle of nasty, stinky, disgusting baby chicken embryos.

And yes, this is actually working. Looking more and more like the ring in the pic as time goes on. I don't have the color depth yet, but I still have at least a few more hours of fuming ahead of me. I'll definitely take a pic of of it once it's done!

Last edited:

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Patina update #2:

If you decide to do this yourself, "fuming" is definitely the way to go, as listed in the post above. Don't toss your mod in the baggie of eggs and bury it. After you smash the eggs in the baggie, lay the baggie flat and create a donut of egg mush, with a hole in the center. Stand your mod up on its end inside the baggie, and seal it up. Just let the fuming sulfur create the patina.

I'm glad I decided to go check on it, because the patina was done to my liking already. Only took about 30 minutes or so with this method.

Got the first coat of clear coat on now.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
The mod is done, but it no longer works LOL!

I used a Dremel to make sure all the threads were cleaned and there is no patina on them. I dunno why the circuit won't complete. Fresh battery, too.

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod is done, but it no longer works LOL!

I used a Dremel to make sure all the threads were cleaned and there is no patina on them. I dunno why the circuit won't complete. Fresh battery, too.

I'd start at the top cap. Did you patina the positive pin? Did you clean 510 threads, the topcap threading, any tube joint threading, etc?

Least the egg fog was fast. You can dissasemble, vinegar soak all parts, protect contact points with thick smeared vaseline and refog. But now I'm remembering you've already clear coated. And I'm betting you've got a clearcoat insulator to remove somewhere.

Good luck and ... pics or it didn't happen.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I love eggs. Always have. I didn't eat the for 12 years and had to give in a few years ago.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I'd start at the top cap. Did you patina the positive pin? Did you clean 510 threads, the topcap threading, any tube joint threading, etc?

Least the egg fog was fast. You can dissasemble, vinegar soak all parts, protect contact points with thick smeared vaseline and refog. But now I'm remembering you've already clear coated. And I'm betting you've got a clearcoat insulator to remove somewhere.

Good luck and ... pics or it didn't happen.

The only part of the mod that I applied patina to was the main tube. I applied vaseline to the threads and put a cork in both ends. There was a little bit that seeped in there, but I was able to get it off with the Dremel. I cleaned the whole inside of the tube. Threads look good. I dunno, I'm really at a loss here.

Maybe the egg patina goes deeper than the surface and killed the conductivity of the copper?

QiDAbAy.jpg

Last edited:

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks awesome. The patina cannot kill the conductivity. But is does insulate. I would check thread to thread conductivity of the tube with a multimeter. It should read nearly zero resistance between bottom threads and top threads of the tube.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I cannot bring myself to make eggs and not eat them.
I do not like eggs in the file.
I do not like them in any style.
I will not take them fried or boiled.
I will not take them poached or broiled.
I will not take them soft or scrambled,
Despite an argument well-rambled.
No fan I am of the egg at hand.
Destroy that egg! Today! Today!
Today I say!
Without delay!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Patina update #2:

If you decide to do this yourself, "fuming" is definitely the way to go, as listed in the post above. Don't toss your mod in the baggie of eggs and bury it. After you smash the eggs in the baggie, lay the baggie flat and create a donut of egg mush, with a hole in the center. Stand your mod up on its end inside the baggie, and seal it up. Just let the fuming sulfur create the patina.

I'm glad I decided to go check on it, because the patina was done to my liking already. Only took about 30 minutes or so with this method.

Got the first coat of clear coat on now.
I'll keep that in mind for my next.Sounds like a great idea.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors