Become a Patron!

Blackened my Tube Mod

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello everyone, for a long time Ive been wanting to blacken one or a few of my mechs.

I know that I could have bought Cerakote and do it myself, or send it to a gunsmith but, I hate to take the chance of mailing something and it getting lost. Some of my gear is no longer available so even if it was insured...

I kept thinking that Id love to have some sort of tint or stain that still allows the sheen of the SS brushed texture to show thru rather than just cover it in paint.

Some one told me of something the bluing for guns and it seems pretty toxic and messy and unless I could have a nice well aired space I dont think I could do it right.

Someone else suggested alcohol ink, cheap non-toxic and sheer. I bought some on Amazon in Pitch Black and took the plunge yesterday.

I have a tube mech that is media blasted Silica Bronze. It came in oxidized unevenly and could never get it clean, Modder sent me another tube and its perfect.

I chose the odd tube to experiment with.

I soaked a piece of micro cloth and rubbed it on lengthwise. I had played with a sharpie before and it came out looking like Ebony. After I scrubbed the tube with alcohol and soap, I just went with it.

I gave it about 3 goings over as its sheer. It did look like wood grain. The black was not as black as I wanted, in fact it was a sort of red base. At first I was kinda irked, but when it dried and went over it with a matte kryon sealer it looks like a nice dark ebony.

Here is the finished project. I did goof it up, I was letting it dry after first clear coat, I got startled and I got a micro nick on it. I took a fine brush I use for my tiny models and tapped the spot, gave it a couple more clear coats and let it sit for almost 24 hours. I almost stripped it and started over, but decided no one will notice and want to see how sturdy the finish is.

MCR-blk-003_zpsaf0vt0qu.jpg

MCR-blk-001_zps3h4crpdv.jpg

Attachments

• MCR-blk-003.jpg
    MCR-blk-003.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 38
  • MCR-blk-001.jpg
    MCR-blk-001.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 38

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank you, this is what it looked like before, the oxidation was all over , sort of sporadic. Maybe it got some chemical reaction with something in manufacturing. The golden tone still shows through even with what I did to it.

mcr-bad%20tube-002_zpsksrofutw.jpg

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, for a long time Ive been wanting to blacken one or a few of my mechs.

I know that I could have bought Cerakote and do it myself, or send it to a gunsmith but, I hate to take the chance of mailing something and it getting lost. Some of my gear is no longer available so even if it was insured...

I kept thinking that Id love to have some sort of tint or stain that still allows the sheen of the SS brushed texture to show thru rather than just cover it in paint.

Some one told me of something the bluing for guns and it seems pretty toxic and messy and unless I could have a nice well aired space I dont think I could do it right.

Someone else suggested alcohol ink, cheap non-toxic and sheer. I bought some on Amazon in Pitch Black and took the plunge yesterday.

I have a tube mech that is media blasted Silica Bronze. It came in oxidized unevenly and could never get it clean, Modder sent me another tube and its perfect.

I chose the odd tube to experiment with.

I soaked a piece of micro cloth and rubbed it on lengthwise. I had played with a sharpie before and it came out looking like Ebony. After I scrubbed the tube with alcohol and soap, I just went with it.

I gave it about 3 goings over as its sheer. It did look like wood grain. The black was not as black as I wanted, in fact it was a sort of red base. At first I was kinda irked, but when it dried and went over it with a matte kryon sealer it looks like a nice dark ebony.

Here is the finished project. I did goof it up, I was letting it dry after first clear coat, I got startled and I got a micro nick on it. I took a fine brush I use for my tiny models and tapped the spot, gave it a couple more clear coats and let it sit for almost 24 hours. I almost stripped it and started over, but decided no one will notice and want to see how sturdy the finish is.

MCR-blk-003_zpsaf0vt0qu.jpg

MCR-blk-001_zps3h4crpdv.jpg
it looks great!

if you ever want to go with 'in depth' colorings,, apply reds over golds/brass/coppers and blacks and grays or blues over silvers,, and pearl looks great over anything :)

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that looks great @anavidfan. i love your photos too. your sig photo of the buttons always catches my eye. i was going to comment on it one time and someone else in that thread beat me to it. beautiful work.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
that looks great @anavidfan. i love your photos too. your sig photo of the buttons always catches my eye. i was going to comment on it one time and someone else in that thread beat me to it. beautiful work.

Thank you, I love photography and love metal, glass and reflective things.

My signature is from one of my fav songs of one of my favorite bands. "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" by the Damned. IT gives my age away :)

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Update

For some reason it started getting sticky feeling. Then I noticed a lot of dings. Felt moist or tacky.

Decided to wipe it off with acetone. Gotta see about another try with some matte or satin spray on rust-o-leum.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So update... (as if anyone was hanging there in suspense....)

The last attempt was a total fail.

Finally decided to have another go.

I like it. I hope it lasts. Used a different type of spray paint.

This shot is the shot "as is" not photoshop magic or tricks or sharpening etc.

MCR-b-0003-as%20is_zpsq6nspikh.jpg

This one is lightly enhanced, my style of glamour shots.
MCR-b-0006-b_zpsavjetevj.jpg

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
looks cool, did you listen to metallica - blackened while you did this?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors