Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So my stingray button is constantly sticking. I think it might be the rice pin on the bottom layer of the switch. I have taken it apart and cleaned it and lubed it but it still sticks. Also I can not set it down on a table cause it fires. I have to constantly use the lock ring if I want to set it down. I have loosened the screw in the button but even at its tallest setting it still does it. The magnets are placed in there correctly but it just seems too heavy for the magnets to push it away. Any ideas on what i can do is appreciated. Please no " cause you got a clone" answers its not helpful in any way.

patjar43

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had the same problem until after I cleaned....and polished it. Cleaning it alone didn't work for me either but mine is a mixed and I used brasso on it to take off all the tarnish and it was a world of improvement. Take apart and clean every piece of the button. Cleaning alone doesn't remove tarnish and the tarnish is gritty.

ToeKnee

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had the same problem until after I cleaned....and polished it. Cleaning it alone didn't work for me either but mine is a mixed and I used brasso on it to take off all the tarnish and it was a world of improvement. Take apart and clean every piece of the button. Cleaning alone doesn't remove tarnish and the tarnish is gritty.
Excellent I will try this thank you

Alan Woltemath

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i have several of those clones and the button always has a problem. I take my my dremmel with a small polishing wheel and some blue magic polish and get into every nook a cranny in the button including the slot where the rice pin sits. i polish everything to a mirror finnish. I call this my hydraulic treatment. once this is done and you reassemble everything it will be the best button you have ever used. I compared one of my clone buttons to the authentic black copper stingray and my clone button was smoother and so much nicer. Hope this helps

ToeKnee

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This just confirms my need for a dremel tool now lol.

ToeKnee

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So cleaned everything up and the button doesnt stick. However If I set the mod down on the table it still fires. I have to lock it every time I have to set it down. Maybe the magnets are bad?

patjar43

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I cleaned my magnets as well but I really didn't have an issue that bad. I would replace the magnet

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
where do you guys get your Magnets and hopefully not from FT?

Akolite

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had this issue on multiple Stingray clones I have. I ended up using a Nemesis switch on one, and using the switch from my authentic Stingray on the other for when I take it out. Don't really like taking my authentic mods out with me. However, I have seen the dremel tool work well. I've also seen folks use conductive grease to lube everything with success.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How many magnets do you have in the switch? For most mods I've seen that can hold a decent-sized tank (Russian, Kayfun, Aqua) standing vertical without firing, they're using three magnets in the bottom, and not just two. Figured it might be worth asking.

Delta

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had the same problem with my stingray, where it fired every time you sat it down(unless you locked it)

I replaced the magnets with some I found on ebay. The size I bought were 8*1mm.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251151783490
Stack two of em in there, and no more auto fire =]
U can really see it pop back up if u push down on the mod to fire

Last edited:

bsoplinger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I replaced the magnets with some I found on ebay. The size I bought were 8*1mm.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251151783490
Stack two of em in there, and no more auto fire =]
U can really see it pop back up if u push down on the mod to fire
N35 seems a bit weak for a setup with just two 1mm thick magnets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Delta

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm maybe, I never bothered to check the rating, but I haven't had any problems so far. Stronger ones would def be better

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Clone not working right?

Shocking.

ToeKnee

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So got the new magnets in today. Put them on and if I screw the top nut all the way the button wont even budge. If I loosen it it seems to fire but when I set it down it still fires by itself unless I lock it. Im really done with trying to figure this one out. Its been cleaned, magnets been replaced and it still no go.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For those that have replaced magnets in the stingray clones, can you describe how you removed the original magnets? I've tried sonic cleaner and boiling to see if that loosened them up or dissolved the adhesive with no luck. I also have an authentic stingray and i was able to remove and replace the bottom magnet after a sonic bath but not the top or either on the clone. Thanks for your replies!

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They are likely held in place with cyanoacrylate (super glue). One small drop of acetone (nail polish remover) will dissolve it, and allow it's easy removal.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They are likely held in place with cyanoacrylate (super glue). One small drop of acetone (nail polish remover) will dissolve it, and allow it's easy removal.
So I've NOW tried an isopropyl alcohol soak, no dice. A 25 min boil, no dice. A few drops of acetone, no dice. An acetone soak, no dice. Sonic cleaner with heat, no dice. Those puppies are not coming out. Today I ordered the ultimate stingray switch upgrade, new rice pins and new delrin base from fat daddy vapes. Already, shipped and on it's way. :)

i found this site while looking for a solution to this problem. nothing here worked for me though =\

what ended up being the culprit was the slot in the center post that the rice pin fits in. they drilled mine crooked so that the pin sat on an angle. button pressed in fine, but needed pried out. took a random small dremel bit and manually spun it around the bottom of the slot and then shaved like .5mm off the rice pin. it is now the smoothest button i have.

VU Sponsors