Become a Patron!

Black stain on battery and tube after cleaning

SirLeakALot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yesterday I cleaned the innards of my copper tube using isopropyl alcohol. Put it back together and after about 5 or 6 whiffs I took out the battery before going to bed. It looked like this:

t4SAWCA.jpg

I have no photo of the inside of the tube but it had the same stain. I could remove it on both of them by wiping over it with my finger. I looked thoroughly for flaws on the battery wrap but couldn't find any.

The setup:

- Wotofo Phantom copper mod in hybrid mode
- Sony Konion VTC 5A battery fully charged, upside down (plus side to button with venting holes)
- 22mm Goon with .25 coil (dual 28GA SS 304 two stranded parallel wire)

What could have happened here?

Majistir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Weird. Kinda looks like ink from the picture... maybe ink bleed after using alcohol?? never seen that before.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like a short and most tube mods run with positive at the 510. To reduce shorting potential. Examine fir hole in wrap. Could just be left over water from the cleaning. A little oxidation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Weird. Kinda looks like ink from the picture... maybe ink bleed after using alcohol?? never seen that before.
Indeed weird.....VTC5's have a black label at the location....is the label still on the battery, perhaps the other side?

SirLeakALot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Indeed weird.....VTC5's have a black label at the location....is the label still on the battery, perhaps the other side?

I wiped off the black "something" with my finger and removed the battery wrap right after. The shell itself looked good and there were no signs of a burn or a smudgy label. Could it be that the isopropyl was not entirely evaporated when I started using the mod and it somehow reacted with the wrap? I didn't notice any heat or other signs of malfunction while using it and the battery came out totally cool. I really only noticed it while routinely examining the battery after use.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Isopropyl may contain additives that can't evaporate so they leave a residue and that might have caused the ink of the scancode to become liquified. With the battery having been upside down, to me it looks like the ink was simply pulled down a little bit from the force of gravity.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wiped off the black "something" with my finger and removed the battery wrap right after. The shell itself looked good and there were no signs of a burn or a smudgy label. Could it be that the isopropyl was not entirely evaporated when I started using the mod and it somehow reacted with the wrap? I didn't notice any heat or other signs of malfunction while using it and the battery came out totally cool. I really only noticed it while routinely examining the battery after use.
Sounds like you certainly know what you're doing. Like @Carambrda said, there is a barcode at that location. If the barcode is not on the other side of the battery, I'd assume the barcode melted from the alcohol.

SirLeakALot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just checked and it seems like you're right. The barcode is indeed gone. Going to unshit my pants now. Thanks guys.

VU Sponsors