Become a Patron!

Billet Box Education Thread...

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
shit. bought this thing thinking is was going to be nothing more than a large pod. i wanted to tootle-puff during the winter when the windows are closed = less juice in the house. but this thing is almost blowing clouds.

:giggle:
If you want MTL pick up a Vapeshell clone and the Kindbright inserts from 3fvape. Dead simple to build, works great and can dial it down tight as a knats ass by changing inserts.
The KF5 inserts fit the insider but wicking can be tricky, like the exo, from what I've read, ask gsmit1.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Learned a couple lessons today. Broke the tactile firing switch on the gold one LOL! Digging up another one which I'll have to get installed. I asked SXK if they will sell me one.

well how did you do that o_O. believe me, i know shit can get broke.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
yeah, i know these things can be set up many different ways. i need to get some wire to play around some more.

what coils are you guys using ?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got a 26g single wire. 8 wrap I believe in the vapeshell. Higher .84.. But running dl. Was using the aspire bridge with the 1.2 or 1.6 for mtl. Gonna drop the ohms just a hair next build

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
how do you guys check your builds ? i mean, can't use the coilmaster.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh with the kanger and insider I just had to pop it in the BB wicked up and hope for the best. With the vapeshell comes an attachment you screw to the bottom for 510 pre heating. Also one comes with the pasito rba. Not sure if they're the same size but they look the same
7de0b6eb647904ee94e57d6e2072427b.jpg

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ahh with the kanger and insider I just had to pop it in the BB wicked up and hope for the best. With the vapeshell comes an attachment you screw to the bottom for 510 pre heating. Also one comes with the pasito rba. Not sure if they're the same size but they look the same
The insider screws on a 510 connection. You're right about the vapeshell, it has a 510 adaptor. On the Kanger I just used a spaced SS wire and you won't have hot spots

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ahh with the kanger and insider I just had to pop it in the BB wicked up and hope for the best.

With the vapeshell comes an attachment you screw to the bottom for 510 pre heating. Also one comes with the pasito rba. Not sure if they're the same size but they look the same

thats what i was thinking

interesting piece

thanx

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
i looked at my stuff. i have this i could use.

i am going to be ordering wire today.

IMG_3718.JPG

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The insider screws on a 510 connection. You're right about the vapeshell, it has a 510 adaptor. On the Kanger I just used a spaced SS wire and you won't have hot spots
The insider did. You're correct. It's been a while since I had one.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i am going to be ordering wire today.
Check that link I sent you last night . 25 feet each of KA1, 316L and NI80 in 24, 26 and 28 each, all for under 30 bucks after shipping at LV if you hurry before that LD sale is over.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Insider is a tricky RBA to wick correctly... but I will suggest doing a 2mm or 2.5mm coil at max... spin up anything 26g-30g 5+ wraps. whatever the diameter of the coil is, half that diameter above the kidney shaped AF (2mm = 1mm above etc)

The cotton barely needs to cover the side of the juice channel... needs to be fluffed... needs to be cut in a 45* ... it was my favorite RBA for the BB when I owned one.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Insider is a tricky RBA to wick correctly... but I will suggest doing a 2mm or 2.5mm coil at max... spin up anything 26g-30g 5+ wraps. whatever the diameter of the coil is, half that diameter above the kidney shaped AF (2mm = 1mm above etc)

The cotton barely needs to cover the side of the juice channel... needs to be fluffed... needs to be cut in a 45* ... it was my favorite RBA for the BB when I owned one.
Yes, my first dunce cap worthy experiment with the Insider confirms everything you just said. I got nearly instant dry hits and I know why.

Incidentally, Fastech is listing an SXK Insider V2

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i did and i am.
That's a good selection to get started with for round wire and twisted coils. If you decide to start learning to wind some Clapton styles later you can pick up some 32, 34 and 36. Maybe even 38. You need WAY more footage for the outer wrap wire, but being that it's lighter gauges, it's a lot less expensive per foot.

EDIT: Actually now that I'm thinking of it, it might not have been a bad idea to throw a 25 footer of 30 in there too. 24, 26 and 28 should be good though.

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
.If you decide to start learning to wind some Clapton styles later .

EDIT: Actually now that I'm thinking of it, it might not have been a bad idea to throw a 25 footer of 30 in there too. 24, 26 and 28 should be good though.

far as making clapton, or anything of the like, coils goes. no way hosie. as cheap as they are, long as they last, i would be waisting my time.

what would the 30 be for ?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
far as making clapton, or anything of the like, coils goes. no way hosie. as cheap as they are, long as they last, i would be waisting my time.

what would the 30 be for ?
Lightweight, high resistance twisted builds. Even triple twisted. OR even a pair of twisted , twisted again (can't remember what those are called) You can easily make twisted coils and they are a great vape.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they don't have SS in 30. 32 good ?
Oh shoot, that's right. They haven't for a while. 32 is getting kinda thin to twist, but with the sale it can't hurt to have it there. You could twist some 32 and then twist it with 30 awg Ni 80 or Kanthal. :D in fact I might try that.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
well then i'm going to be a twist'n MoFo. cause i got a roll of each, ss & 80. and i have been wanting some SS OFRF mesh, $6.15

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use 30g for core wire a lot...

30.40 claptons
30x2x40 fused
30x3x40 Aliens
32.40 claptons
32x2x40 fused

Although I mostly use it for plane Jane claptons... don't really make fused or Aliens anymore

NHXJer

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wonder if anyone could help me out:

I have two Bantams - they both leak like crazy.
Not the normal condensation - I'm talking drain-a-Boro leaking.
I have the same problem using my Vapeshells or North Bridges.
Also using BB Vapes flush fit 510s.
All my Boro's are SXK.

I can't see any obvious cause for the leaking - any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

All my Boro's are SXK.

Thanks,
Chris
I'm on my way out to a job, but I'm sure this can be solved. There's only so many ways juice can get out of the boros. You're saying it even does it with a Northbridge. I'm thinking an o ring or seal for the glass.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

All my Boro's are SXK.

Thanks,
Chris

There is only a few things to check...

O-ring on the boro... these things fail and tear easily if not lubed and even if lubed when a Bridge or RBA is forced.

Next is not wicking correctly... yeah I know, its wicking, not rocket science... but I don't think this is the main culprit, since you said you're leaking using both the VS and NB... but it doesn't eliminate it yet.

Next can be the Flush fit 510... if it doesn't apply enough down pressure on the sleeve, it wont complete the seal... only compounding the possible above mentioned.

Lastly, SXK boro gaskets aren't the best...AND sometimes replacing the glass in the wrong way you really think its on correctly and pushed all the way up, when it actually isn't... what this causes is a tiny gap at the top of the boro and also on the bottom... more so on the top and being a vacuum system... well the vacuum isn't air tight... and dribble da tits... you get a leak.

Good luck!

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any luck on finding what you need for the tactile switch on the sxk nugget?
Not yet. No super hurry, but I am going to get it fixed. I mean finding a compatible switch is no big deal, but I want that exact pcb assembly if possible. I am no solder ninja and it's been a long time since I've worked with microscopic points like that.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not yet. No super hurry, but I am going to get it fixed. I mean finding a compatible switch is no big deal, but I want that exact pcb assembly if possible. I am no solder ninja and it's been a long time since I've worked with microscopic points like that.

register on BBV and then email them about being able to see the parts pages... the button board etc are listed there...

upload_2019-9-4_19-28-18.png

upload_2019-9-4_19-28-46.png

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't think so. Lol
I'm still waiting for word from SXK on whether they can get me one (or two or three) and there's a place in Canada that sells them, but the cost of shipping is one and a half times the cost of the part.

BBV doesn't ask for some kind of proof you're an authentic owner or anything ?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm still waiting for word from SXK on whether they can get me one (or two or three) and there's a place in Canada that sells them, but the cost of shipping is on and a half times the cost of the part.

BBV doesn't ask for some kind of proof you're an authentic owner or anything ?

They didn’t ask me when I asked about a spare 510 a year or two ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, here's a good one. This is all SXK stuff.

I was having some trouble getting a consistent solid connection when using the regular 510 keys. Resistance jumping, new coil?, immediate "temperature protected" message, "check atomizer" etc. The only thing that would alleviate this (kinda) was to REALLY crank it down when putting it in. Wasn't having this problem with the brass JMK integrated tip. If I took that tip off and put a key in, it would ask me if it's a new coil and give a significantly different resistance than the always consistent one I would get with the JMK tip.

I went through several possible explanations for this, but figured out that it's because the shape of the connection point on the JMK tip sat perfect in the hole on the top of the boro where the rba chimney would sit just about flush, if not a tiny barely perceptible hair below flush.

The 510 key has a narrower bottom protruding piece with an o ring that goes into the chimney and the shoulder just above that is what closes the circuit. That's where the problem is. The hole in the plastic boro is cut precisely straight in. The threaded shoulder on the key sits on the edge of the hole in the boro so that it barely makes contact with the chimney. That's why cranking it down would force that contact which still wasn't great and doing that has to go hard on the threads in the body of the mod.

What I did was use a round stone attachment in my rotary tool, on the slowest speed, and ever so slightly grind that sharp corner edge on the top hole in one of my boros to a sort of tiny countersunk bevel, hopefully allowing the contact surface on the key to sit in there and make better contact with the chimney. NOT down as far the o ring though. I also rinsed everything off of course and re-lubed the gasket and o rings.

Problem solved!

Before, like I said, if I took the JMK tip off and put a regular key in, it would ask about the coil, change resistance and after some hoop jumping it would work for a while and then give me the "check atomizer" message and I'd have to fiddle with getting it working again.

With the slightly modified boro, I took the JMK tip off, put the key in with normal tightness and it didn't even know I'd changed them out. Fired on the first try with the same resistance it had before and it's been working normally ever since.

This will now be SOP on any SXK boros I have. Takes like 2 minutes.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a little tough to make out, but you can see where I ground a bevel into the edge around the hole. Made ALL the difference. If somebody else has these issues this will fix it. In fact I don't know why they don't just make them that way to begin with.
20190905_172910_cr.jpg 20190905_173936_cr.jpg

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

ok, i just got er up&run'n. Ni80 30g, 8 wrap, 2.5mm, 2ohm on meter, 1.7 in the BoX :confused:. at 18w right now.
this thing is hit'n pretty good = darn nice cloud for what this is. and flavor is much better than the unknown coil in the Exocet.

shit, just put the door back on, not so good. really tightens up the air flow. not sure i'm dig'n it. down to 17w is better.

IMG_3724.JPG

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
since i'm post'n pics. if anyone see's these door for sale, please hit me up. thanx.

IMG_3732.JPG purple BB doors.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok, i just got er up&run'n. Ni80 30g, 8 wrap, 2.5mm, 2ohm on meter, 1.7 in the BoX :confused:. at 18w right now.
this thing is hit'n pretty good = darn nice cloud for what this is. and flavor is much better than the unknown coil in the Exocet.

shit, just put the door back on, not so good. really tightens up the air flow. not sure i'm dig'n it. down to 17w is better.

View attachment 145682
You're saying that putting the door back on significantly restricted the airflow?

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You're saying that putting the door back on significantly restricted the airflow?

yep, to the point something needs to be done about it. perhaps its just the doors ? idk, i have not used it with the og doors.

VU Sponsors