Become a Patron!

Billet Box Education Thread...

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is an established atmosphere in the appreciation thread among the BB vets that I didn't want to bog down with BB noob questions, so I figured it might be a good idea to start one with that specific pursuit in mind. This is no negative reflection on the other thread at all and of course I would welcome, indeed request their participation here. I hope that makes some sense.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any advantages...besides being very modular which is nice in itself.
I am certainly not the Billet Box answer man as only a couple weeks ago @BobsHere was helping me figure out how to get the boro/tank out :confused:

I can give some considered initial impressions now though.

The Billet Box concept is in a class by itself because it uniquely combines several elements of other designs into a single package.
Yes, AIO. Everything is contained inside the box except the drip tip.

Also yes, a modular design which allows a nearly endless array of setup possibilities from a significant number of drop in coils, some of them quite good, to several RBA bridges, which bridges also then each provide an array of possibilities themselves.

It can be run as a totally legit super tight mtl setup or a totally legit low to moderate power rdtl and anything in between.

ENDLESS aesthetic options. Door panels, internal cover panels, buttons, drip tips, a few different boro colors and even condensation plugs.

In other words, incredibly versatile, and in a compact rugged design, that while not tiny, is pocket friendly enough and portable. Also, decent juice capacity, generally ranging from 3-5 mils which will depend on which bridge is in it at the moment. Also in that regard, once you get the seal on the boro lubed up and broken in, the best/easiest fill method ever imo. Slide the glass, huge opening, fill and slide the glass back up.

Next will be possible cons depending on the person. All of this is of course fully open to correction and revision from those with far more experience with the Billet Box than myself, which wouldn't take much lol.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honest initial impressions continued with some possible negatives.

Number one is if you are somebody who just CANNOT STAND messy setups and juice on your fingers, save your money. This one will make you want to hang yourself. It will improve some as you get to know the equipment, but the BB will always be messy. When I saw Todd saying the same thing in one of his BB gear reviews, I knew it wasn't just me being a BB noob. He's been working with them for like 5 years and he said exactly that himself. The design simply lends itself to a juicy mess and there's no way around it. Not a big deal to some and a deal breaker maybe to some others.

Next is if you expect it to sweep all your other equipment into instant obsolescence, (which I didn't) you'll probably be disappointed.

I am getting a great vape out of it now and I'm sure I'm not done chasing perfection in it for myself, and it will therefore get even better. That said, it will never be competition for an open cloudy dtl setup if that's your predominant style. I doubt it will ever shame the flavor of a good rda or rta either. Let's not kid ourselves. There's only so many ways to vaporize ejuice with an electronic heating element. Resistance coil, wick, juice, power, vapor. This one, like all the rest, cannot be utterly unique in accomplishing that task at that basic level.

It's not the easiest to work with, though not the biggest pain ever either, and a lot of that will depend on which setup you're working on at the moment. Drop in subohm coils, which most work about the same, but are more work than most subohm tanks, or one of the rba bridges which range from fairly easy to fairly frustrating (at first especially) depending on which one and how you're trying to build it.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something or just haven't learned some things yet, but there's also a host of topics that relate to whether we're talking about the BBV authentic or one of the SXK clones, and which one of those clones too.

As I say, somebody else can feel free to add to, amend or just plain correct anything I've said here. The Billet Box world really is a wide list of topics all by itself.

I will say one more thing for now. If you're into vaping toys and gadgetry because you love toying and twiddling with stuff? It's a must have.

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I am certainly not the Billet Box answer man

not yet, but close. your good at figuring this shit out. i'm gealous...

ya know what i 'know" would be a GREAT idea. as time goes on, take all of the relevent info and put it into something of aa tutorial in the 1st post. that way it would be quickly accessable by knuckleheads like me.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

ya know what i 'know" would be a GREAT idea. as time goes on, take all of the relevent info and put it into something of aa tutorial in the 1st post. that way it would be quickly accessable by knuckleheads like me.
You credit me beyond my worth sir.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am certainly not the Billet Box answer man as only a couple weeks ago @BobsHere was helping me figure out how to get the boro/tank out :confused:

I can give some considered initial impressions now though.

The Billet Box concept is in a class by itself because it uniquely combines several elements of other designs into a single package.
Yes, AIO (kinda). Everything is contained inside the box except the drip tip.

Also yes, a modular design which allows a nearly endless array of setup possibilities from a significant number of drop in coils, some of them quite good, to several RBA bridges, which bridges also then each provide an array of possibilities themselves.

It can be run as a totally legit super tight mtl setup or a totally legit low to moderate power rdtl and anything in between.

ENDLESS aesthetic options. Door panels, internal cover panels, buttons, drip tips, a few different boro colors and even condensation plugs.

In other words, incredibly versatile, and in a compact rugged design, that while not tiny, is pocket friendly enough and portable. Also decent juice capacity, generally ranging from 3-5 mils which will depend on which bridge is in it at the moment. Also in that regard, once you get the seal on the boro lubed up and broken in, the best/easiest fill method ever imo. Slide the glass, huge opening, fill and slide the glass back up.

Next will be possible cons depending on the person. All of this is of course fully open to correction and revision from those with far more experience with the Billet Box than myself, which wouldn't take much lol.
For those exact reasons I recently gave away an SXK rev4 dna60 and retired my authentic to the collectors shelf. Don't get me wrong, the BB is a great mod in many ways, but at the end of the day I'd prefer to have a Kayfun in temp control.

Having an extremely busy life probably didn't help with my frustration with the BB's I just don't have time to tinker or fart around with it, maybe when I retire one day I'll appreciate it again, lol

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I love the billet box because...

I already knew what my preferred build was so I put it in the vapeshell. Perfect vape that yeah, I could get in another set up, but...

Billet box is so compact.
Customizable aethetics to your liking.
No worry of glass breaking.
Tank last all day
Battery lasts all day
I don't have to worry about it leaking. I can set it on its side or upside down, throw it in my pocket, throw it in a cubby or seat in the car and not worry about breaking anything or juice leaking out.

I rewick my coil every 3-4 days. Takes about 5-10 minutes and I'm back up running.

I also know I have the option to change the vape style if I'm in the mood. Throw in a different coil or premade EUC, Atlantis, nautilas or whatever and I don't need to buy a new tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For those exact reasons I recently gave away an SXK rev4 dna60 and retired my authentic to the collectors shelf. Don't get me wrong, the BB is a great mod in many ways, but at the end of the day I'd prefer to have a Kayfun in temp control.

Having an extremely busy life probably didn't help with my frustration with the BB's I just don't have time to tinker or fart around with it, maybe when I retire one day I'll appreciate it again, lol

I already knew what my preferred build was so I put it in the vapeshell. Perfect vape that yeah, I could get in another set up, but...

Tank last all day
Battery lasts all day
I don't have to worry about it leaking. I can set it on its side or upside down, throw it in my pocket, throw it in a cubby or seat in the car and not worry about breaking anything or juice leaking out.

I rewick my coil every 3-4 days. Takes about 5-10 minutes and I'm back up running.

I also know I have the option to change the vape style if I'm in the mood. Throw in a different coil or premade EUC, Atlantis, nautilas or whatever and I don't need to buy a new tank.

And see the fact that both of you make great points is itself a great point. Some at least of the very things that will make it ideal for some, will also make it an unnecessary hassle for others and there's nuthin wrong with that.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you're looking for more ease of use, less messy and you use premade coils, take a look at this.

https://ecigarettes.ca/products/north-pole-multi-tool?_pos=38&_sid=141243c39&_ss=r

With this tool you push your coil right out and insert a new one without losing any juice.

69b50967bd17b42f97a808c6e7cab2f3.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're looking for more ease of use, less messy and you use premade coils, take a look at this.

https://ecigarettes.ca/products/north-pole-multi-tool?_pos=38&_sid=141243c39&_ss=r

With this tool you push your coil right out and insert a new one without losing any juice.

69b50967bd17b42f97a808c6e7cab2f3.jpg

I did see that and I already have a Trinity Alpha that uses the quite good Nord coils so it'll be a future purchase I'm sure. Right now I have the Kanger rba, a Vapeshell, an Exocet, an Insider and a crossbow on the way (all SXK clones). And also an A Tank and the bridges for that too, including the old Aspire triton setup. so I'll probably be busy for a little while :)

I know this wasn't just for me btw lol.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Tank last all day
Battery lasts all day

:yes:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
. Right now I have the Kanger rba, a Vapeshell, an Exocet, an Insider and a crossbow on the way (all SXK clones). And also an A Tank and the bridges for that too, including the old Aspire triton setup. so I'll probably be busy for a little while :)

I know this wasn't just for me btw lol.
Only the crossbow is on the way. The rest I already have. That wasn't clear above. Oh, and a 4 pack of Berserker 1.5 drip tips from Fasttech. 5 bucks :D

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I'm finally getting TC sorted on this thing. Number one was learning that "Temperature Protected" means that it is at the set temp and will maintain there. Not that it's an error of some kind. :wait: Was driving me nuts.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
i'm new to BB. so when i got my first setup, yesterday, i was play'n around with it. for the life of me, i couldn't get the glass to slide down. i'm like, why didn't they put a place for a fingernail !? i said F'em, i did it myself.

IMG_3715.JPG

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i'm new to BB. so when i got my first setup, yesterday, i was play'n around with it. for the life of me, i couldn't get the glass to slide down. i'm like, why didn't they put a place for a fingernail !? i said F'em, i did it myself.

View attachment 145259
As long as it maintains the seal, that's a great idea. Do make sure you get those red o rings conditioned well with ejuice.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
As long as it maintains the seal, that's a great idea. Do make sure you get those red o rings conditioned well with ejuice.

it doesn't effect the seal at all.. i put some PG on it, and it is still tough to move. i will try DIY juice and see what happens.

but still, what happens with new ones, just cleaned, sitting for a long time, whatever. i had to use a screwdriver to get it open.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Or you could just go 7000 posts back and start reading. When I started to BB I read the entire thread. What a long day that was. Lmao

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I'm finally getting TC sorted on this thing. Number one was learning that "Temperature Protected" means that it is at the set temp and will maintain there. Not that it's an error of some kind. :wait: Was driving me nuts.
Yea that temp protection always pissed me off. But just means it's at temp. Took me a while to search through forums to find that out.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it doesn't effect the seal at all.. i put some PG on it, and it is still tough to move. i will try DIY juice and see what happens.

but still, what happens with new ones, just cleaned, sitting for a long time, whatever. i had to use a screwdriver to get it open.
Just don't forget when reinstalling the glass it's different shaped on each side. Round corners go down. If you get it backwards you'll know before you get to the top because it'll get super tight and won't install.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Just don't forget when reinstalling the glass it's different shaped on each side. Round corners go down. If you get it backwards you'll know before you get to the top because it'll get super tight and won't install.

sorry bro, rounder goes up. both ends of mine are round, but one end is bigger round

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The authentic have a definite bevel on one side that is very easy to feel as you run your finger across each side.
The SXK seem to be the same on each side.
Never had any trouble sliding either one.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
i put it the other way, it hardly made it up to the seal, but did not go over/on it.

i also put some PG on there, that did make it easier. but it is still way tougher than it should be. maybe something that idk yet. but its not me, my hands are no sissy's.

i just tried it, with the pg, i can now move it with just my thumb.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i put it the other way, it hardly made it up to the seal, but did not go over/on it.

i also put some PG on there, that did make it easier. but it is still way tougher than it should be. maybe something that idk yet. but its not me, my hands are no sissy's.

i just tried it, with the pg, i can now move it with just my thumb.
I always use a Q tip with PG to lube the gasket and o rings after cleaning

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ok, peeps. here it is, up and running. for how long, idk. :facepalm:
its at 30w now. can't tell flavor, cotton breaking in. but it hits just fine, and much better than i thought it would.

IMG_3717.JPG

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok, peeps. here it is, up and running. for how long, idk. :facepalm:
its at 30w now. can't tell flavor, cotton breaking in. but it hits just fine, and much better than i thought it would.

View attachment 145286
Love your poo dude. Lol is that better or worse than someone liking your wood? Haha ha.. Now you just need a condensation plug to keep liquid off the bottom connector and you'll be good to go.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Love your poo dude. Lol is that better or worse than someone liking your wood? Haha ha..

Now you just need a condensation plug to keep liquid off the bottom connector and you'll be good to go.

lol, tanks. poo is not my fav color. i like the, idk what its called, burnt red.

i don't think i got any of those in the deal, and not even sure what it looks like.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Nice.

I've never tried the exocet, I was just surprised to see so much cotton in the tank, interesting.

i never said "i know what i'm doing", lol. i watched a vid, and the guy did it that way, right/wrong, hell, idk .
but it is hitting and not leaking. so that must mean something, right ?

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
shit. bought this thing thinking is was going to be nothing more than a large pod. i wanted to tootle-puff during the winter when the windows are closed = less juice in the house. but this thing is almost blowing clouds.

:giggle:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lol, tanks. poo is not my fav color. i like the, idk what its called, burnt red.

i don't think i got any of those in the deal, and not even sure what it looks like.
Condensation plug goes under the tank. Absorbs condensation from the airflow and they have different size holes depending on which you buy. From wide open to nice mtl.
016585d06073e153dff6309f0faf855f.jpg

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
shit. bought this thing thinking is was going to be nothing more than a large pod. i wanted to tootle-puff during the winter when the windows are closed = less juice in the house. but this thing is almost blowing clouds.

:giggle:
It'll do moderate dtl. All depends on how you set it up.

A .65 ohm Ti1 build at 25 watts is getting me up to 480F according to the DNA board in less than a second.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Learned a couple lessons today. Broke the tactile firing switch on the gold one LOL! Digging up another one which I'll have to get installed. I asked SXK if they will sell me one. Also @b.m. found a Canadian site that sells them but the shipping is 4 bucks more than the part which he also noted. Might have to do it though. I also sent Digikey a pic to see if they have something like that. Have to be more observant of what I'm doing when fiddling around inside the mod.

Also totally jacked up my first attempt at wicking the Insider. Tried my own method first, which was to kind of wick it like I do the gta deck on my Lotuses. Don't do it that way. :wait:

I think I'll try it the way Steam Tuners says to do it since they designed it and everything.

VU Sponsors