Become a Patron!

Billet Box bridge MTL recommendations wanted

OldMadScientist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Finally managed to pick up an SXK Billet Box clone. Love the thing but the subtank rba it comes with has crappy airflow for MTL (airflow hole beneath coil is far too humongous for decent MTL).

I’m looking for a bridge that I can actually buy, at a reasonable price, with proper MTL airflow design. By way of example, the Berserker rta airflow design is about perfect and I vape using either 1 mm or 1.2 mm airflow opening.

Appreciate any help.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NP.. Many have noted 3f is a little more expensive than FT: I shop both, and buy the NEXT LEVEL of shipping and it seems to always arrive in 14 days.

Mcowan226

Member For 1 Year
Hey I just ordered a B.B. clone myself. Couldn’t resist a flash sale. I’m also strictly mtl. I use 45-50mg salts in a berserker with 30g 6wrap at 10watts. I’m very interested in how the shell works out. Have you tried it yet?

OldMadScientist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey I just ordered a B.B. clone myself. Couldn’t resist a flash sale. I’m also strictly mtl. I use 45-50mg salts in a berserker with 30g 6wrap at 10watts. I’m very interested in how the shell works out. Have you tried it yet?

Haven’t received it yet. It made it from Shenzen to Hong Kong and is now “rocketing” its way from Hong Kong so will likely be another month lol.

I’ll do a review when I get it since you’re interested. It’s popular enough to be a clone so I am very optimistic about its performance. Jai Haze did a youtube review that is funny to watch.

Mcowan226

Member For 1 Year
I saw. I believe the tightest restricter disk was like 2mm. Still pretty airy for my taste. There is an mtl version of the steam tuners but I refuse to spend twice as much on a bridge as I did on the clone. Thinking about just making a diy airflow ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldMadScientist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I saw. I believe the tightest restricter disk was like 2mm. Still pretty airy for my taste. There is an mtl version of the steam tuners but I refuse to spend twice as much on a bridge as I did on the clone. Thinking about just making a diy airflow ring.

I’ve found that when an airflow ring has multiple openings or too big of an opening, a dab of hot glue on the exterior of the superfluous holes can work wonders. ;). If the base itself has multiple holes, the majority of which I don’t like (kayfun prime like), plugs of cotton in the offending “design error” correct that.

I’m also a little worried about the airflow resulting from even the smallest insert on the shell but it’s the best I can find (at reasonable price like you say). If it’s too big to get good air velocity over the coil, I’ve been known to (don’t tell anyone) insert a tightly wound coil of SS wire in oversized deck holes to reduce effective diameter (reduces hole diameter by 2x wire diameter). Generally improves things ;). I’d rather not have to do that but the options are limited.

OldMadScientist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can get MTL airflow restrictors for the Vapeshell from Atmizoo - https://www.atmizoo.com/shop/vapeshell-mtl-air-flow-pins-kit/

Not sure if they fit in the clone though

They’re not too expensive so might be worth a try. The stock 2 mm insert it comes with might be ok (I hope). My Tilemahos has 1.5 mm and the flavor still sucks, but I’m hoping that’s because the airflow in that thing is so f’d up that the deck hole size isn’t the culprit. Hope to find out soon enough — vape shell clone still in transit.

Mcowan226

Member For 1 Year
If you are still waiting on your vape shell and looking for a more restricted airflow I just got my billet box clone and found that a regular plastic drinking straw fits perfectly snug over the air inlets. Just snipped a little piece off and poked a single hole in it. Not pretty. But it works just fine and it’s a cheap solve while your waiting. Works for me till I hear some more mtl rad reviews. Also swapped that massive drip tip out with the spare narrow bore from that came with my berserker mini.
210b3ba7d6377a34f63189f10767519a.jpg

OldMadScientist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you are still waiting on your vape shell and looking for a more restricted airflow I just got my billet box clone and found that a regular plastic drinking straw fits perfectly snug over the air inlets. Just snipped a little piece off and poked a single hole in it. Not pretty. But it works just fine and it’s a cheap solve while your waiting. Works for me till I hear some more mtl rad reviews. Also swapped that massive drip tip out with the spare narrow bore from that came with my berserker mini.
210b3ba7d6377a34f63189f10767519a.jpg

Excellent fix!

My problem is I’m picky when it comes to airflow. If the internal air velocity over the coil is insufficient, I get a harsh vape I don’t like, similar to in the old days when the (tiny by today’s standards) air hole on an RDA wasn’t lined up correctly with the coil. So now with low air velocity in an atty, I can taste it and my brain says “that’s not right.”

I’ll try the straw fix you suggest — thanks! I will also likely reduce the diameter of the air hole under the coil and see if I can get some life out of the stock bridge.

I also share your take on the stock drip tip. Something to quickly throw back in the box.

The vape shell (clone) has arrived on U.S. soil. I hope to have it in my hands by Monday.

Mcowan226

Member For 1 Year
Hey. Wondering if you have any update on the vape shell. I took your advice and put a reducer in the deck hole of the standard rba as well as reduced the inner diameter of the chimney. Basically removed as much unnecessary latent air as possible from the whole system. I’m proud to say it’s working fantastic. My only complaint is I still have no way to glow and clean my coil. Definitely ready for a new bridge just can’t decide what to go with.

OldMadScientist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey. Wondering if you have any update on the vape shell. I took your advice and put a reducer in the deck hole of the standard rba as well as reduced the inner diameter of the chimney. Basically removed as much unnecessary latent air as possible from the whole system. I’m proud to say it’s working fantastic. My only complaint is I still have no way to glow and clean my coil. Definitely ready for a new bridge just can’t decide what to go with.

I did (finally) receive the SXK vape shell but it’s not a great MTL with the inserts it comes with. I took a 1 mm drill bit and wrapped it very tightly with enough stainless mesh to fit snugly in the post air hole (using basically same technique as making a mesh wick in the old days if you remember mesh wicks), thus leaving a 1 mm hole. The 1 mm hole is small enough that the airflow control is superfluous and I prefer that as there is no adjustment to get out of whack. It has been working well enough for me. With that small modification, the airflow velocity, even at MTL air volumes, is sufficient to get good air coverage of the wick & coil.

I did try reducing the post air hole with a stainless coil as I’ve done in the past with other attys, but the performance just wasn’t there for some reason using that technique. I think the tip of the wire at the outlet must have disrupted the airflow. Next time I do it that way, I’ll try polishing the outlet end of the coil perfectly flat. Wrapping a tiny width of stainless mesh is a bit of a pita. Anyway . . .

The one I got from 3Fvape does come with the adapter to glow the coil on a regular 510 mod so that’s definitely a huge plus.

I’m debating whether to buy the “real” vape shell MTL inserts and see if they fit, modify a hastur insert I have to make that fit, or just leave the stainless mesh “plug” that’s working fine. That’s why I haven’t checked back in on the thing — I’m still debating whether I like it and exactly what to do with it. I will say I’d buy another SXK vape shell if I lost it. It’s not expensive and it works well enough for sure, once modified a little.

Last edited:

Mcowan226

Member For 1 Year
I’ve been looking around to find other options. Honestly the best looking on I’ve found is a rewickable coil by nature vape called the Flangeless DCT. Unfortunately it is out of stock and in the UK but I shot them an email so we shall see.

Mcowan226

Member For 1 Year
An update if your interested. After emailing mark at Naturevape to see if he was planning on making any more of the Flangeless coils I went ahead and ordered a regular 35mm DCT coil from him as it would fit anyway. Just has a flange on the bottom so you can’t slide it all the way through the Boro box. To my surprise he emailed me back the next morning. He made me a Flangeless and shipped it out instead. Great service and a great little product. I’m sure at some point I’ll pull it apart and see about rebuilding with my own coil but for now it works great as is and is extremely easy to clean and rewick. And they aren’t a wallet breaker.
0b1c586b3a3f718f4e68cc48d07b265d.jpg

VU Sponsors