Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone heard of SKD? Just wondering if these will be ok with SXK and or BB?
05fbe448c076b64f8f8d9217db251744.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@BrewBear

CCKS will have these, but you have to reserve one via Recon1

upload_2019-10-22_16-32-16.png

Since you like flippers, this is a full auto and CA legal.

Probably can pick one up there, but table price might be a lil higher... assuming this part, since you can still sign up to reserve one :)

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@BrewBear

CCKS will have these, but you have to reserve one via Recon1

View attachment 148288

Since you like flippers, this is a full auto and CA legal.

Probably can pick one up there, but table price might be a lil higher... assuming this part, since you can still sign up to reserve one :)
Thanks for the heads up, but for now (at least) it's Sebenza 31 or bust! This past weekend I was at a two day conference at the Pechanga Resort! It was rough....but I still have enough for the Seb!

How about this? https://kershawguy.com/products-page/california-legal-to-carry/kershaw-launch-4-california-legal-automatic-knife-1-9″-olive-7500olblk-olive/

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the heads up, but for now (at least) it's Sebenza 31 or bust! This past weekend I was at a two day conference at the Pechanga Resort! It was rough....but I still have enough for the Seb!

How about this? https://kershawguy.com/products-page/california-legal-to-carry/kershaw-launch-4-california-legal-automatic-knife-1-9″-olive-7500olblk-olive/

That works also! and only 1/3rd the price

I am going to be jealous of that 31... don't settle for a small! Although the small is awesome too

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay. I'm going to regret this, but....I have some questions. Totally lack any BB knowledge.

1. So authentic vs. SXK clone. How would/did you start out? I could probably swing an authentic but what if I don't like it? Should I get my whistle wet with the SXK? I always heard that it was impossible to find new stock on BB but there's quite a few listed now. Any recommendations? No, forget that last one. I've been reading this thread enough to have a feel for you guys.
2. Doesn't the lack of USB port on the authentic bother you? No eScribe? Don't need it? I have 2 LV DNA250Cs and use eScribe.
3. What do I need to start out? I'm comfortable building, I primarily vape DTL (mechs, squonks, drippers) but have and enjoy several MTLs. Does the SXK come with enough to get started down this hole? What are must haves?

Be gentle with me.

Last edited:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Okay. I'm going to regret this, but....I have some questions. Totally lack any BB knowledge.

1. So authentic vs. SXK clone. How would/did you start out? I could probably swing an authentic but what if I don't like it? Should I get my whistle wet with the SXK? I always heard that it was impossible to find new stock on BB but there's quite a few listed now. Any recommendations? No, forget that last one. I've been reading this thread enough to have a feel for you guys.

Get the SXK + Xeta Clones save your cash
2. Doesn't the lack of USB port on the authentic bother you? No eScribe? Don't need it? I have 2 LV DNA250Cs and use eScribe.

Only matters really if you're attempting TC
3. What do I need to start out? I'm comfortable building, I primarily vape DTL (mechs, squonks, drippers) but have and enjoy several MTLs. Does the SXK come with enough to get started down this hole? What are must haves?

SXK+Xeta

Be gentile with me.

;)

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. And I edited my post...gentle, not gentile. I know the BB world is like a religious cult, but not that religious.

Having a clone will only matter to you. Its your money... There are small differences, but they are minor; the largest difference is price.

BB clone+ Xeta Clone will stick you about $140 shipped.

Authentic BB and Authentic Xeta will set you back about $410

And those with both in here will attest that they vape within 3% of each other.

Also, not sure if you saw my highlighted response within the quote ;)

Don

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with Don. The only thing I would "gently" ( :D ) push back on is that there is more to Escribe that JUST tc. Firmware upgrades and customizations. I have three (one's broke until I get my switches) and all three have had old firmware despite being made this year, including the Evolv boards.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Be gentle with me.
What Don and gsmit1 said...
I bought authentic and fell to the bottom of the rabbit hole, and it's a long way down.
They both always seem to sell well right here on VU if you don't like it, but less cash in on the SXK.
I've never had an SXK but it only comes with bridges for premade coils. Grab an Xeta or Vapeshell with the MTL inserts. Only 2 you would need.

Edit, lack of USB doesn't bother me. I do some TC, just not with BB.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. And I edited my post...gentle, not gentile. I know the BB world is like a religious cult, but not that religious.
Here's my 2¢ to get started in Billet territory:
-SXK BILLET DNA 60 with USB (affectionately known as the SXKUSBBB around here ).
-Haku Xeta RBA clone (I use a couple authentics but I can speak to the clones). Super versatile, as covered by Don and gsmit. Restricted lung to tight MTL.
-Unilink Bridge, MF Bridge, or KRV EUC Bridge for Vaporesso EUC coils if you want to use a drop in. The 0.5 ohm ceramic versions are the overwhelming favorite.
-Invest in a couple authentic Borotanks. It's worth the extra money as the SXK versions are dicey when it comes to leaking.

Generally speaking, no need for TC with a Billet so the lack of USB isn't an issue. It's like using a RTA where your wicks are constantly fed liquid.

Sent from the Death Star

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never had an SXK but it only comes with bridges for premade coils.
Don't forget the SXK also comes with the Kanger RBA. :D

With me, the USB thing is in part the mental quirk of a computer guy. I can't stand the thought of having a device with the capabilities of Evolv circuits and not being able to get to them. Especially for that much money. Honestly, if all that was available was a DNA BB without Escribe, I wouldn't want one. Again, I'm not trying to be offensive or to disparage BBV or authentic owners at all. That's just the way my head works.

Also though, I am getting good TC outta mine. As long as you have a solid connection with consistent resistance sampling, it works fine. At least for me. And, not having a good connection with consistent resistance sampling is a problem beyond just TC.

I hope I'm not sounding the wrong way.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't forget the SXK also comes with the Kanger RBA. :D

With me, the USB thing is in part the mental quirk of a computer guy. I can't stand the thought of having a device with the capabilities of Evolv circuits and not being able to get to them. Especially for that much money. Honestly, if all that was available was a DNA BB without Escribe, I wouldn't want one. Again, I'm not trying to be offensive or to disparage BBV or authentic owners at all. That's just the way my head works.

Also though, I am getting good TC outta mine. As long as you have a solid connection with consistent resistance sampling, it works fine. At least for me. And, not having a good connection with consistent resistance sampling is a problem beyond just TC.

I hope I'm not sounding the wrong way.
I only tried TC with my SXKUSBBB with the MF Bridge and 1.4ohm Drizzle coils. Didn't work for beans. Could've tried it in an RBA but it works well enough for me in wattage mode so I didn't bother.

Cool that you got it working though! I would definitely use the Replay feature that they have on the C line of chips though. I loved using that on my US Modz Stingers and Basic 1.1 dipper setups.

Sent from the Death Star

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered an SXKUSBBB and the SXK Haku Xeta RBA from 3F. Great timing, they have a Halloween voucher for the BB, knocking $29.01 off the $129.00 price, so $120 for both shipped. Both 24hr ship.

I'll be lurking....

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought the 1.4 ohm coils were Kanthal. I tried them too, not in TC and they kinda sucked so I went back to the 1.3 ohm coil.
Whoops! I meant the 1.3 ohm jobbers. Those are SS right?
Either way they didn't work for me in TC

Sent from the Death Star

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered an SXKUSBBB and the SXK Haku Xeta RBA from 3F. Great timing, they have a Halloween voucher for the BB, knocking $29.01 off the $129.00 price, so $120 for both shipped. Both 24hr ship.

I'll be lurking....
If you have any more questions after they arrive we're happy to help!

Sent from the Death Star

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoops! I meant the 1.3 ohm jobbers. Those are SS right?
Yes they are, and a fairly good vape too!

Sorry I can only be honest.
Honesty is good, no need to be sorry for that.

I'll be lurking....
Lurk away but don't be afraid to participate too. You'll see we are a helpful bunch and if you looked in the previous pages you'd see we go off the beaten path and diverge in various interests but eventually we get back on track.:vino:

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes they are, and a fairly good vape too!
Lurk away but don't be afraid to participate too. You'll see we are a helpful bunch and if you looked in the previous pages you'd see we go off the beaten path and diverge in various interests but eventually we get back on track.:vino:
Thanks. I went back a ways in the thread so have a good feel for the atmosphere here. Very helpful group. I'll be posting.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks. I went back a ways in the thread so have a good feel for the atmosphere here. Very helpful group. I'll be posting.
I am by no means an expert on BB's, but here's my 2 cents.

Lube the o-ring on the boro right away, this will make things a lot easier for you, trust me on that one.

I found the battery contact on the top of the sxk version to be way too tight. You can try to gently bend it up if yours is or even better there are two screws on the other side that allow you to remove and adjust it.

I'd pick up some condensation plugs, they're cheap and handy. I worried less about condensation in the authentic because they have a proper seal around the cover for the board, I'm pretty sure the sxk doesn't, maybe a more experienced user will chime in on this one. Avoid tank leaks for this reason as well.

Oh and enjoy! They're a great mod, great vape and a very deep rabbit hole :)

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am by no means an expert on BB's, but here's my 2 cents.

Lube the o-ring on the boro right away, this will make things a lot easier for you, trust me on that one.

I found the battery contact on the top of the sxk version to be way too tight. You can try to gently bend it up if yours is or even better there are two screws on the other side that allow you to remove and adjust it.

I'd pick up some condensation plugs, they're cheap and handy. I worried less about condensation in the authentic because they have a proper seal around the cover for the board, I'm pretty sure the sxk doesn't, maybe a more experienced user will chime in on this one. Avoid tank leaks for this reason as well.

Oh and enjoy! They're a great mod, great vape and a very deep rabbit hole :)
Thanks, appreciate all the advice I can get. And no problem with the rabbit hole. I dive right in head first.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the authentic because they have a proper seal around the cover for the board, I'm pretty sure the sxk doesn't,
I also could be wrong about this, but I think you're referring to the lacquer seal on the Evolv board, which if it's the case is also true of the SXK DNA, but not of the SXK 70 watt. I think.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also could be wrong about this, but I think you're referring to the lacquer seal on the Evolv board, which if it's the case is also true of the SXK DNA, but not of the SXK 70 watt. I think.
The only seal I found on the BB vs. SXK is the one under the chip/screen cover. SXK has a tendency to pee liquid when used with their boro tanks (in my experience ). They all have a bit of condensation and a piece of tissue paper between the case and the back of the boro tank is helpful when trying to remove the tank.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only seal I found on the BB vs. SXK is the one under the chip/screen cover. SXK has a tendency to pee liquid when used with their boro tanks (in my experience ). They all have a bit of condensation and a piece of tissue paper between the case and the back of the boro tank is helpful when trying to remove the tank.
So here I go....down the hole.

Should I go ahead and buy an authentic boro tank from BB and save the grief or is it something I just live with for awhile?

BB lists an R4 Boro for $32. Worth it? Fit the SXK?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I honestly haven't had a lot of problems with the SXK boros since I learned to juice up new ones and let them sit so the seal could absorb the juice. The seal can still come out on occasion, but I'm always able to get it back in and working right. Not having a good seal will indeed cause leaking as BrewBear said.

The only time I've had actually serious leaking issues was with my wicking with the Exocet being too loose and having the top on backwards with the Vapeshell o_O

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That said, by all accounts the authentic Boros are better. Everybody with both has said that. There's just no way I can afford them.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't say for sure... but I don't think there is much difference in the boros themselves...

BUT

The gaskets and o-rings are for sure subpar on the SXKs...

Curious to know if anyone has tried the spares kit on the SXK if it made any improvement?

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't say for sure... but I don't think there is much difference in the boros themselves...

BUT

Curious to know if anyone has tried the spares kit on the SXK if it made any improvement?
I thought about doing that but was told the spares kit from BBV would isnt compatible with the SXK boros.

A big tell for authenticating a boro is the radius of the top corners. I couldn't tell you exactly is the difference but I know that most people are able to tellby comparing them.

Sent from the Death Star

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So here I go....down the hole.

Should I go ahead and buy an authentic boro tank from BB and save the grief or is it something I just live with for awhile?

BB lists an R4 Boro for $32. Worth it? Fit the SXK?
I exlcusively run SXK boros in my authentic BB. They're definitely cross compatible. I seem to have good luck with them for some reason... my recommendation of the authentic is based on your being new to BB thing and I figured it would help to not have any additional frustrations you might encounter

Sent from the Death Star

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

BUT

I have some of those on the way. Should be here this week. The black boro gasket kits. I'll post how they are.

There's been a challenge here and there, but I've been satisfied with the SXK boros overall. The ones I have in now I can open and close with my thumb with no issues. I was thinking of making a video actually for somebody on another site.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I exlcusively run SXK boros in my authentic BB. They're definitely cross compatible. I seem to have good luck with them for some reason... my recommendation of the authentic is based on your being new to BB thing and I figured it would help to not have any additional frustrations you might encounter

Sent from the Death Star
The only things that are not cross compatible are the 510 keys and the internal screws. Don't ask me why. It would have been trivial to make those work too.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely not trying to be a know it all here, but when I got my last batch of SXK boros, I lubed up the seals, put the glass on slowly and carefully and threw them in my box of BB stuff. When I went to use one a few days later the glass slid up and down with ease, while retaining the seal. It seems that the gasket material becomes saturated with juice. I hav had one come out after that and bunch up at the top, but once I got it juiced and back again it's been fine. I do pay attention when refilling or working on it though just be mindful. It would be great not to have to think about any of that, but like I say, I just cannot afford the authentic boros.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the replies. The only experience I've had with a boro type tank is on my Spruzza, and I hate that tank. Maybe I should try @gsmit1 trick lubing the gasket. I'll definitely do that when I get my SXK. I really don't want to pay $32+SH if I don't need to.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
i'm sure that i have SXK boros with the red gaskets. i lubed the gasket, then put it together. i have no leaking. but boy, the glass was a real pita to move. so much so i ground a notch so i could snag the edge and push it down.

VU Sponsors