Become a Patron!

Beware of malic acid - aka "sour"

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check this out:

cracked_juice_bottle_zps3ecb95c8.jpg

This juice bottle is all fogged up, bears multiple cracks around the threaded area, and the mouth's edge is all ragged and chewed up. It's started leaking a while ago, and today, the dripping tip popped out, pouring juice all over the place.

I have a few other bottles that are degrading like this one has - but haven't reached that stage yet. What they all have in common is, they hold juice that has malic acid in it. This has happened with only one fill-up of soured juice: I refilled this particular bottle 3 or 4 times with unsoured juice before, and it didn't crack or fog up.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Check this out:

cracked_juice_bottle_zps3ecb95c8.jpg

This juice bottle is all fogged up, bears multiple cracks around the threaded area, and the mouth's edge is all ragged and chewed up. It's started leaking a while ago, and today, the dripping tip popped out, pouring juice all over the place.

I have a few other bottles that are degrading like this one has - but haven't reached that stage yet. What they all have in common is, they hold juice that has malic acid in it. This has happened with only one fill-up of soured juice: I refilled this particular bottle 3 or 4 times with unsoured juice before, and it didn't crack or fog up.
Dude Malic acid, Menthold, Nicotine any Mint of any kind should be stored is Glass bottles if you received it like this then do not buy from them again. Many Juices can do this you think that is something you should see what Menthol does to some types of Plastic it will eat it its crazy to watch Its not the Malic acid that is the problem it is the storage medium. ;)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no problem whatsoever with menthol, mint or nic in plastic bottles. Nor do I have problem with normally acidic juices - lemon, orange and the likes. It's just malic acid that does this to my bottles.

luciddreamer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Curious to know how much malic acid you used. Do you get the same results with a new bottle? Are you using pet or lpde?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I keep the plastic shards of old, broken EVOD clearomizers to test questionable flavorings on. That seems to be the most sensitive plastic used in vaping! I just put a drop of flavoring on a little shard to see if it gets hazy, cracks, or melts. I cracked lots of EVODs before I bought glass, lol!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I keep the plastic shards of old, broken EVOD clearomizers to test questionable flavorings on. That seems to be the most sensitive plastic used in vaping! I just put a drop of flavoring on a little shard to see if it gets hazy, cracks, or melts. I cracked lots of EVODs before I bought glass, lol!
hahaha ! genious

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Curious to know how much malic acid you used. Do you get the same results with a new bottle? Are you using pet or lpde?

I used rather a lot - something like 15 drops per 10 ml - and I believe the bottle was PET. Not sure though...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have no problem whatsoever with menthol, mint or nic in plastic bottles. Nor do I have problem with normally acidic juices - lemon, orange and the likes. It's just malic acid that does this to my bottles.
you are right man some plastics are immune to it... some are not I do not know as I do not keep up with what is what.. I just put everything in blue glass
\

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Plastic Vivi novas :(
Yeah I had some absithe eat a hole in one of them that was crazy it got cloudy then I was looking in in about a year ago and I realized that what I thought was absinth was a mixture of absinthe and plastic it was bizzarre learned my lesson

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Great idea

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you are right man some plastics are immune to it... some are not I do not know as I do not keep up with what is what.. I just put everything in blue glass
\

I can see using glass bottles instead. But can you find glass bottles with a dropper tip? Cuz as someone who drips exclusively, if I don't have one, I'd have a bit of a problem :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can see using glass bottles instead. But can you find glass bottles with a dropper tip? Cuz as someone who drips exclusively, if I don't have one, I'd have a bit of a problem :)
Some do my friend ya have to look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some do my friend ya have to look around.

Yeah Drip at home as we'll I usually have 5 mods different flavored kinda like a buffet of my madness

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sour apple (think granny smith apple) and banana flavors seem to kill my plastic tanks...glad they make a new glass GS-H2 (the GDC)!

If you think you have a tank cracker flavor...go pyrex!!!!

burgundyblack

Member For 4 Years
I want to say I've gotten dropper top bottles from RTS Vapes. You could also check Midwest Bottle Supply or One Stop DIY Shop.

luciddreamer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used rather a lot - something like 15 drops per 10 ml - and I believe the bottle was PET. Not sure though...
Try to use a lot less. I would do 3 drops max for 10ml. If you dont taste a difference make a batch without sour and try both after 24 hrs.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's best to just not use plastic with any citrus mint, absinthe or menthol get rid of that junk your health matters if the plastic is deteriorating umm you are vaping it I know the hard wat

Vangrl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so I guess I should transfer my TFA Sour out of the plastic bottle that it came in? or are you guys talking about stronger sour solutions than that?

thanks

SeaVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I store everything in glass all flavor. I solely make all my juice in glass and nothing else. I really don't have this problem with glass. This place has great prices on bottles. At these prices I had no excuse but to use glass http://ecigdisplays.com/bottles/glass-bottles/

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I store everything in glass all flavor. I solely make all my juice in glass and nothing else. I really don't have this problem with glass. This place has great prices on bottles. At these prices I had no excuse but to use glass http://ecigdisplays.com/bottles/glass-bottles/

That's a terrific price on glass bottles - their shipping is horrendous, though up until you spend $50 -then it's free!

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's a terrific price on glass bottles - their shipping is horrendous, though up until you spend $50 -then it's free!
The price break @ 1001 bottles is nice too!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

Just how much malic acid are you using?

I have never, in any of my mixes cracked plastic or etched glass..
just curious on the amount used..

SeaVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They must have just changed it because it was maybe 2-3 weeks ago and shipping was free. My order was under $50 and no shipping costs at all. That sucks because we all love free shipping. I hope you guys can snag yourself a bunch of these at this price.
Edit OMG I put in 100 30ml glass and its @ .42 and they want $20 shipping. That really sucks unless you buy over $50. I guess free shipping on all orders was to good to last very long.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors