Become a Patron!

Bethesda Apologizes for Starfield Xbox Exclusivity: Can Be 'Frustrating' For PlayStation Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
After months of "will they, won't they" speculation, Microsoft and Bethesda have confirmed that its upcoming RPG Starfield will be an Xbox Series X|S and PC exclusive. And though this may be frustrating for PlayStation owners, Bethesda's longtime marketing boss Pete Hines says he understands this is disappointing, and apologized.

"If you're a big fan of stuff we make and a game that we're making is no longer available on your platform I totally understand if you are unhappy or pissed. I get it, those are all real feelings and frustrations," Hines said in an interview with GameSpot.

[ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2021/06/13/starfield-release-date-trailer"]
"I don’t know how to allay the fears and concerns of PlayStation 5 fans other than to say, 'Well, I’m a PlayStation 5 player as well,' Hines added. "And I’ve played games on that console, and there’s games I’m gonna continue to play on it. But if you want to play Starfield? PC and Xbox."

"Sorry, All I can really say is, 'I apologize,' because I'm certain that's frustrating to folks, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it."

Starfield is Bethesda's first original RPG in 25 years. Director Todd Howard has described it as 'Skyrim in space,' though stressed that its brand of sci-fi will be grounded in reality.

Bethesda has long been a multi-platform developer, though its games typically run best on PC. But after the blockbuster acquisition where Microsoft purchased ZeniMax Media for $7.5 billion, there were questions about whether or not future games from the whole of ZeniMax will be Xbox and PC exclusives.

The E3 press conference, at least, seemed to indicate that whatever new titles are in the works, whether it's Starfield from Bethesda, or Redfall from Arkane, will be coming exclusively to Microsoft's platforms.

[ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2021/06/14/bethesdas-pete-hines-on-starfields-graphics-and-redfalls-player-abilities-weapons"]
A bulk of Microsoft and Bethesda's E3 press conference leaned heavily on Xbox exclusives that will also be coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One. And it seems Xbox will leverage exclusives and bring its new-gen gaming experience to PC, smart TVs, mobile phones, and even older Xbox Ones.

Check out IGN's own interview with Pete Hines for deeper dives into Starfield and Redfall. For more from E3 2021, check out everything announced at Xbox's E3 press conference, and how the exclusivity drought is over for Microsoft.

[poilib element="accentDivider"]
Matt T.M. Kim is IGN's News Editor.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors