Become a Patron!

Best type of syringes to use?

jay223119

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As the title suggests what are yalls opinions on the best type of syringes to use? The ones with needles or the ones without ? Could you post some suggestions and links and why you think one is better over the other?

The only thing that would worry me is the one with needles with throw off the measurements?

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes the 'needles' can throw off the measurements... however... if you do the 'movie/tv' thing .. (acutually this is what they do in real life) and turn the syringe so that the needle points up... tap it .. then you can read the amount accurately.. there is of course the whole thing with how liquid has a 'surface tension' to it that prevents it from leveling absolutely when in a tube, however that is minor and not so much to worry about. Also the 'nipple' portion of the plunger ... all things considered, seems that consistency is the key.. (1)measure with the syringe upside down (2) measure the same way each time & (3) some use the pull more than you need method and only plunge as much as you wish to measure out.. :)

sketchness

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I am using syringes I like the luer slip style instead of luer lock. They aren't as messy when using without a blunt tip. And the 12 gauge 1.5 inch metal blunt tips for vg are awesome.

But honestly these days I find measure by weight so much easier. I can mix up a recipe in less than 5 minutes.

jay223119

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I am using syringes I like the luer slip style instead of luer lock. They aren't as messy when using without a blunt tip. And the 12 gauge 1.5 inch metal blunt tips for vg are awesome.

But honestly these days I find measure by weight so much easier. I can mix up a recipe in less than 5 minutes.

When your mixing by weight do you use the 1g/1ml method or do you use the exact gravities of the different flavors?

jay223119

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a scale I picked up :) I have used it to pre mix a couple a flavor concentrates already (just flavors). Just got done doing HIC's Hazelnut Caramel Coffee. Once my VG gets here all I have to do is take it and add it to my VG and Nic and all done shake and vape then let it sit for a little while and try it a couple days later. The main thing I was wanting to use them for was for the VG. However I am sure if I just follow the many guides to mixing by weight I will be just fine :) I am probably just overthinking everything lol

jay223119

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't think I scored my scale for $10 though ;) I think it was closer to $30 or $40.... I must have missed out lol

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think I scored my scale for $10 though ;) I think it was closer to $30 or $40.... I must have missed out lol
Not necessarily! I really like mine, but it's a very small "pocket" type. Gets the job done. I'd be happier if it were more along the lines of a jewelry scale that was accurate within .001 grams, but this one is .01. I'm fine with it until I have the funds for a nicer one though. :)

jay223119

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not necessarily! I really like mine, but it's a very small "pocket" type. Gets the job done. I'd be happier if it were more along the lines of a jewelry scale that was accurate within .001 grams, but this one is .01. I'm fine with it until I have the funds for a nicer one though. :)

I got the AWS LB-501, it'll go to 500g/0.01g. I was wanting to get a lab quality scale that went to .001 or a jewelry scale as you mentioned but damn those are pricey pieces of equipment I think the cheapest one I saw was somewhere in the neighborhood of $900 that would do over 500g. And who knows what the quality of it was as most that I saw were between $1500-$3000 or even more

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can get them a lot cheaper but they don't go above 20-30g for cheap. I just do small batches anyway, don't really need one that weighs out that much.

jay223119

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can get them a lot cheaper but they don't go above 20-30g for cheap. I just do small batches anyway, don't really need one that weighs out that much.

I will end up mixing for peoples here at work as well as myself, and 3 or 4 people in my family as our guy that was doing to has moved :(. Now if I was just mixing for myself hell yea I would certainly get me one of that was 20-30g :)

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could use a little higher weight capacity. A kilogram would be cool. I have the LB-501 but using it to break down my NIC this week I found myself weighing VG 400 grams at a time instead of all in one go.

sketchness

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When your mixing by weight do you use the 1g/1ml method or do you use the exact gravities of the different flavors?

I use 1.03 for PG and pg flavors, 1.23 for VG nicotine, and 1.26 for VG

scrubzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The actual amount delivered through a syringe should be exactly the same regardless of the size of the needle or even if you are using a needle at all or not - when you see someone on one of the med shows turning the syringe up and thumping the side of the syringe with their finger they are just getting all the air to the top then they very slowly push the plunger till all the air is out and fluid comes out (shooting the fluid out a foot or so looks cool on TV maybe but I've never done it nor have I seen it done IRL) - after you have the air out you can turn the syringe back down the other way and actually see if you have all the air out - if not the bubbles will be noticible - now you check your measurement line - if more is needed draw more from your bottle, if you have too much return the excess back to the bottle - for my point that the needle dosent change your measurement - when you push your plunger fully down all you have done is empty the syringe - the fluid in the needle remains in the needle

scrubzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I empty the fluid in the needle back into my bottle by pulling air back into the syringe and using that to push the fluid back into the bottle - for meds the fluid in the syringe would just be wasted into the sharps container along with the syringe

VU Sponsors