Become a Patron!

Best Sub-Ohm Tank for SS coils?

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm pretty new to the vape scene but I've done a bit of research. I'm wanting a sub-ohm tank because they seem to burn the lowest amount of oil and pull a lot of vapor if you have it at the correct settings. I'm also wanting to make 316 stainless steel coils with organic japanese cotton.
Now, my fiance and I both have the 75w Tron version of the Joyetech VTC Mini, and are currently using the CL Ti coils. I'm wanting to get the CLR (rebuildable) coils to put SS in. I'm also looking into getting the eGo Mega One tank that comes with the original version of the VTC Mini because it is the same as the Tron tank but with better air control.
Are there any other sub-ohm tanks that are compatible with SS coils I should look in to and compare to the Mega One before buying? I'm wanting to just get one more tank and be good, I don't want to own 50 different mods and tanks.

chuckpie85

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Uwell crown premade coils come built with ss great flavor and clouds and perform wonderfully on the VTC mini.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure exactly what you're asking...

First, if you're burning oil you're in serious trouble - no oil whatsoever in reputable e-liquids.

More importantly, are you asking about getting a rebuildable tank (RTA), or a sub-tank with a rebuildable atomizer head (RBA)? Either one will accomodate builds with whatever wire you want to use, the question is more whether or not your mod will support temperature control with a specific wire if that's what you're trying to do. But if using less liquid is your goal, anything with a sub-ohm coil is going to go against what you're trying to do - by nature low-resistance builds tend to be thirsty.

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not sure exactly what you're asking...

First, if you're burning oil you're in serious trouble - no oil whatsoever in reputable e-liquids.

More importantly, are you asking about getting a rebuildable tank (RTA), or a sub-tank with a rebuildable atomizer head (RBA)? Either one will accomodate builds with whatever wire you want to use, the question is more whether or not your mod will support temperature control with a specific wire if that's what you're trying to do. But if using less liquid is your goal, anything with a sub-ohm coil is going to go against what you're trying to do - by nature low-resistance builds tend to be thirsty.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but like I said, I'm new to the vape scene. I definitely appreciate the help a lot though, and am willing to read and listen to all comments.
Just wondering though, how is it not considered an oil? Or can't be called oil, even though it consists of mainly all oil? Vegetable glycerin is made from plant oils, and propylene glycol is considered a mineral oil. Whether you use PG or not, you still use VG. Also, most natural flavors are plant extracts which are considered plant oils. I can't say the same for "juice" made out of artificial flavors, but it still contains VG which is technically plant oil.

I am looking for a tank that has rebuildable atomizers, so I guess a RTA over RBA.

Do you know if the Evic VTC mini 75w version is compatible of TC with 316 SS? That's just the main promotion for it, that the new 75w version can go into TC mode specifically for SS.

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Subohm tanks burn through a lot of juice.

The ego one mega is my least favorite tank! I use the Crown OCC SS coils and love them :)

Would you suggest the .25ohm or .5ohm coils?

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Subohm tanks burn through a lot of juice.

The ego one mega is my least favorite tank! I use the Crown OCC SS coils and love them :)
Also, you don't think the 1ohm CLR coils w/ SS wiring would be better than the .5ohm or .25ohm crown OCC SS coils? Since it was said earlier that lower resistance is thirstier?

Ben-Rod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If your going to run it temp mode, it's gonna be a personal preference. It's really hard to for me to tell the deference between the .25 and .5 in temp mode.

judo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also, you don't think the 1ohm CLR coils w/ SS wiring would be better than the .5ohm or .25ohm crown OCC SS coils? Since it was said earlier that lower resistance is thirstier?

There is a world of difference between the CLR coils and Crown coils.
I have a few evic mini's. 1 mini running version 2 and and the other running version 3.
They both work great with the crown tank (power mode, temp mode and on version 3 with TCR).
By the sounds of it a crown tank and .5 coils would do you well. .25 coils rip through a single
battery very quickly. With .5 coils I have to swap the battery once or twice per day but I use it
all day. The .25 coils will give you a lot of vapor, for some it could be a bit too much. If you're using
the tron tank now or the ego one.... you will get a hell of a surprise with a .25 crown coil. If you go with
a .25 for some reason don't use cheap batteries.
Also the tron tank and ego tanks are "okay" at best in my opinion.. for what that's worth lol.

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So my actual main goal is to figure out what would be the best to burn the lowest amount juice and still pull fat clouds.
I'm interested in SS specifically because I think it would be the safest and be able to burn at a lower temp compared to other material that coils are made out of.

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just wondering though, how is it not considered an oil? Or can't be called oil, even though it consists of mainly all oil? Vegetable glycerin is made from plant oils, and propylene glycol is considered a mineral oil. Whether you use PG or not, you still use VG. Also, most natural flavors are plant extracts which are considered plant oils. I can't say the same for "juice" made out of artificial flavors, but it still contains VG which is technically plant oil.
Although Vegetable Glycerin is derived from Vegetable Oil, it is not an oil. It is a polyol compound consisting of mostly sugar and alcohol and is water soluble. Oils are not water soluble. Using your logic, ethanol is corn. And everything made from ethanol would be corn. So it would be ok to give my kids Vodka because it is just a vegetable after all. And for you information Propylene Glycol and Mineral Oil are in no way, shape, or form even similar compounds.

Ben-Rod

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Best thing I can tell you is find a good juice company that has 120 mils for 20-25 bucks and stop worrying about juice consumption.

As far as the Crown tank, you'll be very happy with either coil because you want to run in temp mode. If you wanted to run in power mode, I would suggest the .5 coil because it can run better with your device. 45-50 watts as not to push the 75 watt limit. In temp mode I run either coil at 60-70 watts and between 490-520 degrees. I find the .15 Ni200 coil for the Crown just as good...

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Excellent, thank-you very much. I will start and go from there.
Best thing I can tell you is find a good juice company that has 120 mils for 20-25 bucks and stop worrying about juice consumption.

As far as the Crown tank, you'll be very happy with either coil because you want to run in temp mode. If you wanted to run in power mode, I would suggest the .5 coil because it can run better with your device. 45-50 watts as not to push the 75 watt limit. In temp mode I run either coil at 60-70 watts and between 490-520 degrees. I find the .15 Ni200 coil for the Crown just as good...

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My favorite are the 0.25 coils, but you need to be able to put at least 60 watts through them.
I love the .25 coil as well. I have found that 85 watts is my sweet spot. It's like drinking warm juice.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Crown SS coils don't play nice with SS TC modes in the Evic Mini or the RX200, has something to do with the Crown SS coils having Ni or other material in the tails. I run SS TC great with both my Evic Mini and RX200 when using the SS coils for my Herakles Plus and OBS sub ohm tanks but the Crown with both the 0.50 and 0.25 ohm coils will not even fire in SS TC mode.

The Crown is a great tank with the SS coils in just power mode though.

jasondberman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Crown SS coils don't play nice with SS TC modes in the Evic Mini or the RX200, has something to do with the Crown SS coils having Ni or other material in the tails. I run SS TC great with both my Evic Mini and RX200 when using the SS coils for my Herakles Plus and OBS sub ohm tanks but the Crown with both the 0.50 and 0.25 ohm coils will not even fire in SS TC mode.

Could you please send me some links to those specific tanks? I'm looking to run SS specifically in SS mode, that's all.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is the Herakles Plus: http://www.vaperoyalty.com/sense-herakles-plus-sub-ohm-tank-stainless/

OBS: http://www.vapordna.com/OBS-T-VCT-Sub-Ohm-Tank-p/obctvc.htm

The Herakles Plus is a more open airflow than the OBS. I use the Herakles Plus at home and take the OBS on the road with me, the OBS holds more juice and doesn't burn through it as fast. You will chuck more clouds with the Herk Plus than the OBS, the flavor is close, I might give a nod to the Herk Plus.

The coils on the OBS last a real long time, I have not had the Herk Plus long enough to comment on that.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone commented on another thread that the Crown SS coils run fine if you use a 304 TCR (100-105). The eVic Mini is set-up to use 316L SS but you can do custom TCR settings if you know how to set that up.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Agreed.
Personally I don't see the point in running SS TC, there are far to many variables involved in doing it to be constantly effective. Stainless is not a pure metal, it's an Alloy. What most Vapers do not consider is tolerance in Mfg. In other words, not all 316L lots are equal and that goes for all Stainless Steel wire. All of them are allowed +/- X, on every aspect of their production, also these variances can not only change from spool to spool, but also from inch to inch, on the same spool.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is the Herakles Plus: http://www.vaperoyalty.com/sense-herakles-plus-sub-ohm-tank-stainless/

OBS: http://www.vapordna.com/OBS-T-VCT-Sub-Ohm-Tank-p/obctvc.htm

The Herakles Plus is a more open airflow than the OBS. I use the Herakles Plus at home and take the OBS on the road with me, the OBS holds more juice and doesn't burn through it as fast. You will chuck more clouds with the Herk Plus than the OBS, the flavor is close, I might give a nod to the Herk Plus.

The coils on the OBS last a real long time, I have not had the Herk Plus long enough to comment on that.

Agreed on the Herakles Plus and SS temp, its far more consistent than the crown, IME. The coils for the plus seem to hold up fine for the 3 weeks I've had mine. I have two, one that I keep on my Evic and use in SS temp mode and another I use with my Reuleaux in power mode (before I got the RX its was on my Snow Wolf Mini) at 65-70 watts, also with the SS coils. I have been using the same coils since I bought them and have not had a dry hit or drop off in flavor yet. IMO, it's the tank and coil to beat right now.

* I will add that it does take a bit of time to get the SS coil going as far as flavor goes but once its going, its great.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow! I only found out a few weeks ago that the standard Crown coils were SS and could be used in TC mode. I love them. Nice clean vape. I think I like them better than the ni200 coils. Running them on Reuleaux DNA and they are glorious.

VU Sponsors