Become a Patron!

Best items to use when making box mods (battery trays, switches, 510, etc...)

Ksprings

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone! i wanted to get a nice thread going about the best items people have been using in their mods... so far i have tested a lot of different battery trays such as the keystone and 3 others.. so far the keystones have the stiffest hold for the battery and they are the smallest to fit into a small box mod... fat daddy 510 seems to be the number one go to right now due to the fact that it is spring loaded and the conductivity is NOT running through the spring of the piece.. what do you guys think... good SS switches or lighted switches and other types of stuff to make the best looking box mod out there... any creative hammond boxes you have seen or any builds you have fit into a small mammouth box

NitroBex

The Cloud Chasing Geek
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
images

I know I get some gear from digikey Guys this is a good place to list components Ksprings I am gonna generalize the title a little and sticky it.

Ksprings

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
no prob bro, I just wanted to get the forum up and running and start getting some good information out

Vape_geek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am still in search of a 30 amp momentary switch. I would love to make a unregulated box mod but so far the switch seems to be a limiting factor. Most switches are 2 or 3 amp rated.

Ksprings

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Vape_geek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Vape_geek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah if I don't find a 30 amp switcha mosfet setup is my backup plan

mobcittty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
not really 60

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't need a 30 amp switch bud a 2 or 3 is great... the current doesn't run through the switch most use this one http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...16207?itemSeq=145177124&uq=635291369371064879

check out this parts list too............. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gLyGzTsV7nY4a1yDTyItdz6dgKVoyS2kjgQahjo9oqU/edit#gid=0
Your my new Hero! I have been writing & searching without stop for about 16 hours finding all this stuff, & you drop it in my lap with one click of a mouse. Bravo Sir. I have everything ordered already, but I am real grateful.

Ladygadget

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
images

I know I get some gear from digikey Guys this is a good place to list components Ksprings I am gonna generalize the title a little and sticky it.
DigiKey has super fast shipping too when the items are in stock. And if something isn't, their stocking dates are accurate and they ship immediately.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am still in search of a 30 amp momentary switch. I would love to make a unregulated box mod but so far the switch seems to be a limiting factor. Most switches are 2 or 3 amp rated.
Easy fix...use the momentary to activate the gate of a MOSFET (think solid state light switch), a few mA or less is all is needed to control HUGE amounts of current...it's an on off kinda thing.

I have a board I am making for the fasttech bolt, more or less making it a "box mod in a tube" (more to say I can do it rather than making it a better device) [other than the button on the bolt is only rated at 2-3A as well]

I am sure I could easily whip up a square board with a TO-220 MOSFET and a few soldered points for a box mod...

You solder the leads of the momentary to the board, hit the button, the MOSFET "clicks on like a light switch" and all available current the battery flows thru to the coil, let go of the momentary, the gate closes and stops current flow, easy peasy :D

Last edited:

Vic's Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
eb870d5f6b0c571c98ae413136803c4a.jpg
05188850942c6269cd3ffe83a9662dd3.jpg

Let me know if you want a parts list... Everything is digikey aside from the fat daddy Vape 510...

Vic's Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dual 18650
Parallel
16AWG Copper Wire
Fat Daddy Vapes 510 v3
Digikey mosfet
Digikey slim battery sled
Digikey push button

Will be making more very soon... Message me if your interested...

I'll put up a picture of it on the volt meter when I wake up tomorrow... Tested it but didn't take a picture 4.23 volts :)))...

Vic's Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mine??? Yes sir... Had two of the same sleds and cut one in half fits perfectly inside... Just enough room on top for the button and 510

Awesome. Ty. I'm definitely going to build this ASAP. Just got to get the parts. Can you get any of the parts locally and where plz.

Vic's Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Digikey.com has the fastest shipping in electronics... Usually get my parts within one or two days of ordering...

Vic's Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Obviously the links may be no good, but the product numbers never change...

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess I'll step in this thread with a couple of items of interest on new developments. There is some new Battery sleds being produced from Dhim that are specifically designed for box modders. They are the bomb! His contacts have notches punched into them making wire soldering to contact a breeze. Up the middle in the back of the sled is a cut out to bring your negative wire up top behind the actual sled, between that hidden middle channel and the contact cut outs wire management is very sexy. The battery sled also has the bottom edges rounded to fit perfectly around the lid screw hole for dual 18650 in G box, allowing you to mount sled all the way over without any modification. I only have pics of the 26650 sled, but trust me the 18650 sled has some thought put into it. He will put your name in the sled for a little extra fee, or you can get positive and negative cut outs and his name for the price of the sled $8 shipped. Pick your color. He is also making some Fatdaddy color rings that go around the outside of the connector. He is swamped with orders so there is about a week lead time but these sleds are well worth the wait. He hasnt updated the pics of the best sleds the dual 18650 on the site, because he is trying to get caught up with production. He does have some good pics of the 26650 sleds.

http://www.vape3d.com/category-s/1819.htm

10703733_807331949319571_4312827764730072367_n.jpg
10688083_811447348908031_1737039978306619739_o.jpg

PCB board mods is also making a full board for dual 18650 B Box modders. It's still to high $90 but it is out there. Fuse protected.

10374517_879772475374833_7188926323894378510_n.jpg

Bamani71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Guess I'll step in this thread with a couple of items of interest on new developments. There is some new Battery sleds being produced from Dhim that are specifically designed for box modders. They are the bomb! His contacts have notches punched into them making wire soldering to contact a breeze. Up the middle in the back of the sled is a cut out to bring your negative wire up top behind the actual sled, between that hidden middle channel and the contact cut outs wire management is very sexy. The battery sled also has the bottom edges rounded to fit perfectly around the lid screw hole for dual 18650 in G box, allowing you to mount sled all the way over without any modification. I only have pics of the 26650 sled, but trust me the 18650 sled has some thought put into it. He will put your name in the sled for a little extra fee, or you can get positive and negative cut outs and his name for the price of the sled $8 shipped. Pick your color. He is also making some Fatdaddy color rings that go around the outside of the connector. He is swamped with orders so there is about a week lead time but these sleds are well worth the wait. He hasnt updated the pics of the best sleds the dual 18650 on the site, because he is trying to get caught up with production. He does have some good pics of the 26650 sleds.

http://www.vape3d.com/category-s/1819.htm

View attachment 7473
View attachment 7474

PCB board mods is also making a full board for dual 18650 B Box modders. It's still to high $90 but it is out there. Fuse protected.

View attachment 7475
Do you have a web link for the PCB board mods?

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anybody want to trade? I need a mosfet (IRLB3034PBF) and 15kohm 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor.

I have too many door and box magnets. N52 1/4" dia by 1/16 thick. Will trade 8 magnets.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't tested the board yet...I am still building my "Lightening" Bolt board (got em in today)

I gotta order me a set for the boards I am ordering but when I get em in and tested...sure I guess I can trade...not sure what the magnets are for

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't tested the board yet...I am still building my "Lightening" Bolt board (got em in today)

I gotta order me a set for the boards I am ordering but when I get em in and tested...sure I guess I can trade...not sure what the magnets are for
Ahh ok, magnets are for box mod door, replaces screws.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anybody want to trade? I need a mosfet (IRLB3034PBF) and 15kohm 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor.

I have too many door and box magnets. N52 1/4" dia by 1/16 thick. Will trade 8 magnets.
Still looking for more :)

VU Sponsors